• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaintDeftone

I played the RE7 VR demo as well this weekend. This is the game that sold me on PSVR so I was hoping it would work out.

More VR games need the amount of options this game has for comfort. Instead of limiting the experience in fear it may make someone sick, this game gives you tons of options to tweak the experience to your liking. While the 30 degree turning was okay, I felt I would have had a better time if it was smooth. While the smooth turning was weird on the eyes at first, I started to adjust to it and pretty much dealt with the discomfort just to have a better experience.

The game is amazing in VR. I was literally scared to open those doors and look inside and there is no way I would have felt that way playing it outside of VR. Man, I can't wait for this game to drop!

Well after playing the Resi demo, It's truly amazing to think were inside a videogame at that level. I was slowly moving around, Love how you can lean forward to peep around doors and look down the hallway etc, I crouched down to get the handgun and leaned forward to see the blood just simmering haha

There is no other way to play Resdent Evil 7, It has to be in VR!

Walking up/down the stairs in VR, 20 years ago stairs was a loading screen.

Also kudos for the VR options, I wasnt a fan of the smooth turning and found the 45% snap much better.

Yeah RE7 was intense!

There is an auto centre, using up on the right stick, but it didn't seem to make a lot of sense to me. I turned smooth aiming on so maybe that's why. I did get kinda sick, still getting my VR legs. One thing I did want to do was aim upwards with the stick! It bothered me more than once that I couldn't.

There is an option for an animated crouch, didn't try it though.

Can you open doors with Move controllers? I haaaaaated basically using my head!

*Splinter

Yeah RE7 was intense!

There is an auto centre, using up on the right stick, but it didn't seem to make a lot of sense to me. I turned smooth aiming on so maybe that's why. I did get kinda sick, still getting my VR legs. One thing I did want to do was aim upwards with the stick! It bothered me more than once that I couldn't.

There is an option for an animated crouch, didn't try it though.

The crouch is so fast I had to double check it was turned on. I'm still not 100% it was working.

bumpkin

With so many people saying RE7 made them ill, it makes me curious how the previous version of the demo (in VR) was at E3 or whatever. I remember reading that a lot of people who tried that demo/sample had trouble with nausea too, and there was talk that they did a bunch of work to mitigate those problems. Maybe the original incarnation is what you get if you turn smooth turning and animated crouching back on.

At any rate, this game is next level shit in VR. I can't wait!

ckohler

Any reports of those who own this, and have astigmatism? I only see one report in this thread, and part of the images being blurry.

Eve's IQ looked meh when I tried the demo unit over the summer. Is it better if you can adjust it yourself, and not a Sony Rep like at the demo stations this past summer?

I have astigmatism and wear my glasses with PSVR with no issues. The far edges of the image are slightly less in focus but I think that's how it is for everyone.

sourc3d

With all the RE7 demo musings it may have been forgotten but today is the eve of Star Wars: Battlefront – Rogue One: X-Wing VR Mission, (HYPE) more excited for tomorrow than the other big day in December.

Just sayin! :)

Shoeless

guys I am so excited for Valkyrie Pro.

It's bitter sweet for me. I'm glad the game is getting a pro patch, but after seeing single player demos of starfighter games like COD and now Star Wars incoming, I'm just sad that we still don't have a starfighter game with an actual single-player campaign. I'm really surprised that no one thought a game like that would do well at launch for PS VR.

i know it's dumb, but I wish we'd get some "experiences" like Don't Let Go. I am all for more games, but I think tech demos are nice too.

It's bitter sweet for me. I'm glad the game is getting a pro patch, but after seeing single player demos of starfighter games like COD and now Star Wars incoming, I'm just sad that we still don't have a starfighter game with an actual single-player campaign. I'm really surprised that no one thought a game like that would do well at launch for PS VR.

I've been telling Sony dudes since the first Morpheus rumors to make a new full-scale Colony Wars for launch or sometimes later as it'd be a perfect fit, they can't say nobody told them!!!11

Bulgar

Neo Member
But that's not taking into account the replayability factor. Rush of Blood may take less than two hours for a first play through of each level - but that's not including alternate routes, finding all of the collectibles and aiming for a top place on the online leaderboard.

You said you're not interested in leaderboards but others are, which will increase the games longevity. Those games may have only lasted you that amount of time, but that's not an indication of how long they'll last others.

Another thing is VR's social aspect. I never thought it would be such a great piece of hardware to play with a group of friends - it seems like such a solitary device. But I can't even count the amount of hours I've had friends over and we've all taken turns to play single-player games, including VR Worlds, and had a go a Playroom multiplayer.

Do you count these hours? I may not have been playing all that time but I've still been enjoying the hardware and experience with my friends.

I completely get that, i was just listing my feelings and where I am coming from. So we have to gauge how many people lean on feeling like me and how many are enjoying themselves and are content with whats available atm.
I am not a completionist and once I've seen it once, it has to be really good for me to come back. I really loved Batman VR and solved all of the Riddler's challenges because I enjoyed replaying it. Most games though replay value wears out faster than most think at least for me.
But yeah I had to post my feelings to show where my mind is right now as it relates to PSVR. Keep in mind I am an early adopter and I like I said I feel deja-vu when it comes to the PSVR.
PS: I also bought the 3D Playstation TV when Uncharted 3 came out and it was amazing, they had like 50+ titles listed that would support 3D play...but then Sony abandoned their 3D push really fast so I've been burned more than once.

Shoeless

I've been telling Sony dudes since the first Morpheus rumors to make a new full-scale Colony Wars for launch or sometimes later as it'd be a perfect fit, they can't say nobody told them!!!11

Yeah, I figured some of the earlier PS1 games from Psygnosis like G-Police, Krazy Ivan, Colony Wars or even Assault Rigs might get the PS VR treatment, since they were all cockpit games. I was genuinely surprised when none of them got announced.

Not as "modes", but I started playing seated which was fine, stood up, recalibrated, and liked it more standing.

I seem to feel unsteady when standing in games like this noticed it in Tomb Raider too. Other games like Holoball where you're stuck to the spot as such I'm fine with. But standing games with forward movement makes me almost fall over.

Glix

They don't trust you. They think you are a Microsoft PC peripheral.

They don't trust you. They think you are a Microsoft PC peripheral.

Lol, that's actually true ;) My very first user name from around 1998 was inspired by the MS Sidewinder Flighstick sitting next to me while registering.

But on Twitter and PSBlog I'm incognito!

kinggroin

Banned

Crazy huh? Somethings that make perfect sense...just don't materialize. Like how we never got a legit lightsaber game on Wii.

Give it time though. The Vive didn't get a good space fighter action game for a bit after launch. House of the Dying Sun and Elite Dangerous are still, months out, the only two quality ones.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I noped out of REVII after a few rooms. I continued in 2D and it wasn't remotely as bad. I need to see it all in VR, but I might play it in 2D or watch a Let's Play first to take some of the edge off.
I noticed that those automated camera moves people were worried about are not present in VR. There's one at the very beginning in 2D that is not there in VR.

Glix

In the Wipeout thread people keep saying if it was VR it would make people sick.

I would want a Thumper camera, not a cockpit view, and I think that would be fine.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
In the Wipeout thread people keep saying if it was VR it would make people sick.

I would want a Thumper camera, not a cockpit view, and I think that would be fine.

That's what Trackmania did. It's fine.

Exactly. There isn't even a cockpit view in the original games. And not everyone gets sick from VR lol

Lan_97

Unfortunately, it seems games need to jump over a few kneejerk reaction hurdles before even being considered for VR.

"How would it even work in first person/cockpit?" Answer: VR doesn't have to be first person or in a cockpit.
"I assume you would need a barf bag" Answer: People have very different tolerances to motion sickness, and that's what comfort settings are for.
"Long play sessions are too exhausting for players" Answer: Nope.

majik13

Idk. I didn't try that -- would be great though.

Yep Up on the R stick centers you view,(this is quickly mentioned in the tutorial) obviously you need to look back to center(at TV/Camera), for it to actually center where you were originally looking.

antibolo

Banned
Third person VR experiences are great, it is indeed too bad that people are still stuck on a "VR == first person" mindset.

And in many cases it's actually easier to do third person.

majik13

Are Moves supported in RE7? And what do you mean using your head? I thought you just move towards the door, with the Right stick and it starts to open it.

Yeah just make it like Trackmania. I only played one of the demo levels, so not sure if they would, like Trackmania, need to make VR tailored tracks, that dont do loops or crazy turns, drops, etc. Maybe doing that extra seperate mode and work is why it isn't happening.

Kyolux

Are Moves supported in RE7? And what do you mean using your head? I thought you just move towards the door, with the Right stick and it starts to open it.

No move support. Unless they implement teleportation or something, not sure how that would work.

TAJ

Yeah just make it like Trackmania. I only played one of the demo levels, so not sure if they would, like Trackmania, need to make VR tailored tracks, that dont do loops or crazy turns, drops, etc. Maybe doing that extra seperate mode and work is why it isn't happening.

Trackmania VR does loops and drops, and wallride -> jump -> wallride among other crazy things.

majik13

Trackmania VR does loops and drops.

Cool, so what was their reasoning for making VR specific tracks? The tracks just need to be less crazy than the original tracks?

No move support. Unless they implement teleportation or something, not sure how that would work.

Yeah my thoughts exactly, not sure how Moves would work when you need to use sticks. Or how they would really benefit RE7 to begin with.

TAJ

Cool, so what was their reasoning for making VR specific tracks? The tracks just need to be less crazy than the original tracks?

I don't know. I've only played the VR part so I don't know how different it is.

bumpkin

With all the RE7 demo musings it may have been forgotten but today is the eve of Star Wars: Battlefront – Rogue One: X-Wing VR Mission, (HYPE) more excited for tomorrow than the other big day in December.

Just sayin! :)
I'm excited about it, but not so excited about having to play musical game installs to get Battlefront loaded onto my PS4. I really need to upgrade my hard drive. :(

muteki

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1516067-Trackmania-VR-WHY!!!!

Actually for the VR update, providing players with the best comfortable experience in VR and avoiding the motion sickness were mandatory conditions for releasing a VR update. So it explains for example that the main camera is set to a 3rd person perspective, with the view switching to 1st person for some parts of the race. The 3rd person camera has been specifically designed to move less with the changes in direction. And we had to design a specific VR campaign of tracks. I hope you better the choices done and thank a lot for your feedback.

I don't know. I've only played the VR part so I don't know how different it is.

Standard campaign tracks are longer, more twisty, and for some reason the medal time trials in VR mode are extremely easy. Not much point in replaying when you can get golds/greens the first time through.

Also VR has no multi-lap tracks and no online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom