• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTails

My RE7 is out for delivery... I'm so ready for it! Now to get through the work day, then get my daughter to bed... Should be able to get in 2-3 hours tonight!

Kalentan

Because its scary or are you getting nausea? I've had good experiences with VR to date. Quick turning with the right stick can disorient me a little, usually when I start playing a game, but I have had zero sickness with RE7 so far. Makes me hopeful for more full-fledged games in this style.

Not because of nausea, but because it's scary as all fuck. Things that wouldn't be so bad in non-VR, now feel so much more real because you feel like your in the room. In a way combined with the controller rumble your mind sort of plays tricks on you.

Like normal PT?

You cannot compare it. I am not joking when I say that my body really wanted to just quit cause of the pressure. I was really afraid of my life here and there and not because of cheap jump scares like in other games. I am literally afraid. It's PT times 10?

I really really don't recommend Resident Evil VR for people that have weak hearts or heart problems. The game will fuck some people up.

With PT not being in VR, it's tough to compare. PT felt like a descent into madness, while RE7 feels like modern jump horror. I'd imagine that if konami wanted to turn a quick buck, re-releasing PT on VR would be a big deal. I'd love to compare the two. Fwiw...both are fantastic.

##

Also, I posted this in response to the confusing RE7 DLC announcement. There's some fuzziness about the inclusion of VR in the DLC.

Hopefully this drums up good conversation here:

Does the DLC not support PSVR, or do the EXTRA MODEadditions within each DLC pack not support VR? Either way, that's really disappointing. Buying VR enhanced DLC was going to be my way of financially telling CAPCOM, "More Please".

It sounds like great content, but when companies do things like this, it's difficult to communicate that, yes, the audience enjoyed VR integration. So when the inevitable financials and investor call happens and some Capcom rep reveals that VR play adoption was disappointing, the companies do not attempt the experiment again.

How does Capcom track its influence accurately? By purchasing the DLC en masse, does that say, "fans enjoyed the game but the DLC wasn't essential, as evidenced by these auxiliary sales?" By not buying DLC, does it say that the game performed so poorly that the DLC was dismissed, therefore investment wasted?

The relationship of communication between consumer and corporation is so complicated. How does a consumer clearly reward behaviors enough to encourage continued experiments?

Lokimaru

Played Lethal on PSVR. Great shooting gallery game if you wanna shot guns but have no real place to do it or It's too dangerous to plink cans in the back yard with a BB gun cause your a minority like me (Just use headphones and mute the TV to be on the safe side). The knife throwing takes getting use to and the special gun levels are really cool
Dirty Harry's 44 Magnum, Oddjobs Hat, Robocop's Auto 9
I do wish they had a haptic gun to go with the game since no recoil makes the shooting a little to easy once you get the hang of it. We need more Shooting/Lightgun type games for VR and I'm surprised Sony hasn't released a VR version of The Shoot or at least a Sequel.

Played Lethal on PSVR. Great shooting gallery game if you wanna shot guns but have no real place to do it or It's too dangerous to plink cans in the back yard with a BB gun cause your a minority like me (Just use headphones and mute the TV to be on the safe side). The knife throwing takes getting use to and the special gun levels are really cool
Dirty Harry's 44 Magnum, Oddjobs Hat, Robocop's Auto 9
I do wish they had a haptic gun to go with the game since no recoil makes the shooting a little to easy once you get the hang of it. We need more Shooting/Lightgun type games for VR and I'm surprised Sony hasn't released a VR version of The Shoot or at least a Sequel.

I love Lethal, I play a few rounds every time I fire up vr and have had zero issues with tracking. For me I find the tracking just as solid as pixel gear and the laser showing before the game starts shows to me that the only difference is not having the laser in game like pixel gear.

I agree, more Shooting galleries please! Just good old fashioned fun. Starship disco is basically a light gun game if you ever feel like trying that one. You shoot ships instead of people though.

zoukka

Yeah RE7 might be the scariest game of all time in VR. I seriously was doubting if I could play this in VR and nothing had fucking happened yet. After the first encounter I was sweaty and nervous as fuck and had to stop. 30 minute sessions is all I can take at first it seems.

Kalentan

Yeah RE7 might be the scariest game of all time in VR. I seriously was doubting if I could play this in VR and nothing had fucking happened yet. After the first encounter I was sweaty and nervous as fuck and had to stop. 30 minute sessions is all I can take at first it seems.

The (very early spoiler)

Moment you walk through the water in the basement not too long after you get to the first house... That was already starting to push it and I hadn't even gotten to the crazy stuff. I even began to close my eyes as I walked once I saw the door. Fuck murky water.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Loving these RE7 impressions from you guys, seems like a no-brainer purchase if you have a PSVR. I've been wanting a PT equivalent almost on VR for some time now.

EDIT:
So much more though than a mere PT equivalent.
Oh no doubt, which is music to my ears. I must play this in VR asap.

Kalentan

Hahaha man I can't wait.

Also if my mom couldn't handle rush of blood and has to take the headset off mid way through in a fit of terror. There is no way she will make it in this right?

I'd honestly refrain from having her try. Trust me... This is on another level from other horror VR. It has an intensity and realism that the others don't. As I've repeated sometimes. I had to remind myself that it was just a game.

dmix90

Absolutely love RE7 in VR. Stepping in to new locations for the first time is really something else. Did not expect the game to become so gory and brutal so fast.

Only thing that put's you out of experience is frequent "blackouts" when something/someone doing something with "your" body.

Kalentan

Absolutely love RE7 in VR. Stepping in to new locations for the frist time is really something else. Did not expect the game to become so gory and brutal so fast.

Only thing that put's you out of experience is frequent "blackouts" when something/someone doing something with "your" body.

Honestly the only parts that take me out are any time it stops being VR and your just watching a regular screen. It isn't so bad when you use a VHS but is off putting when it happens and it's not a VHS screen.

Dumb question but

Does the quality of your tv or monitor have a (huge) impact on the visual quality of the psvr?

I game on a 27inch 1080p monitor.
Would playing on the 55inch 4k samsung ks8000 tv significantly improve the visual quality in games?

Trying to decide whether to buy RE7 today or in two months when i can afford the samsung ks8000

Dumb question but

Does the quality of your tv or monitor have a (huge) impact on the visual quality of the psvr?

I game on a 27inch 1080p monitor.
Would playing on the 55inch 4k samsung ks8000 tv significantly improve the visual quality in games?

Trying to decide whether to buy RE7 today or in two months when i can afford the samsung ks8000

No, you don't even need the TV turned on. The signal goes straight to the VR box and headset. The Pro gives the benefit, not the TV itself.

Had my first experience in (modern) VR this past weekend and really enjoyed it. Only played a few demos (Budget Cuts, Bullet Train, and SuperHOT), but I was very impressed with the accuracy of movement and immersion. Granted those were on the Rift and the Vive, but it definitely made me a believer in the idea.

But then I go searching for a PSVR (I don't have a great computer to handle the Rift or Vive) and they are nowhere to be found for anything near MSRP. They need to bump up supply! I'd buy a bundle pretty quickly if I could get it at a decent price, mainly for RE7.

dem0neyes

Had my first experience in (modern) VR this past weekend and really enjoyed it. Only played a few demos (Budget Cuts, Bullet Train, and SuperHOT), but I was very impressed with the accuracy of movement and immersion. Granted those were on the Rift and the Vive, but it definitely made me a believer in the idea.

But then I go searching for a PSVR (I don't have a great computer to handle the Rift or Vive) and they are nowhere to be found for anything near MSRP. They need to bump up supply! I'd buy a bundle pretty quickly if I could get it at a decent price, mainly for RE7.

pretty sure gamestop.com atleast for NA has them now with free shipping

bumpkin

Can't wait to try this on my PSVR but I'm also dreading it lol
Same here. All of these posts about how scary it is are psyching me out.

I just popped the disc into my PS4 to install the game and the update now so later tonight I can throw on my VR headset and be ready to roll! Day one patches be damned.

emb

Have RE7 at home, excited to try it out tonight. I agree on the being nervous part though, lol. I remember walking around Robinson and being too creeped out just to walk into a cave. RE is gonna murder me lol.

VR games have the added fear factor in that they can actually hurt me kinda. They can do some visually painful stuff with the headset, and I wouldn't be ready for any especially loud noises in the headphones. Not that any games are gonna go for that kinda thing on purpose, of course.

Guys, I tried PT in cinema mode and I lasted about 60 seconds before Lisa got me and I almost cried lol.

Can't imagine what RE7 will be like but I'm going to give it a shot.

Codiox

Watched the first hour on YouTube, and fuck no, I will not play re7 in vr. This thing would kill me. I screamed while I was watching the video.

This shut is too real.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Played an hour of RE7. So far I've only had one heart attack but I also just reached the first area not represented in the demo so I'm sure the dread is about to skyrocket.

ChouGoku

I hope all this "RE7 VR is so scary" it's not like the "Rush of blood" is so scary... 'cause I found RoB absolutely not scary.... so now my expectations on RE7 are incredibly high! :)

I'll try the demo as soon I finish Robinson...
Haha rush of blood is a fun game but a joke on the scariness. RE7 is scary as hell. I do about 10-20 min sessions. Its hard to play for a long time

Kurdel

Banned
RE 7 is great in VR, but I do find a lot of the low quality textures distracting.

But I mean, early boss fight spoiler
Having that zombie dude drive donuts around me in a parking garage in VR had me laughing my ass off!

Sill I will definitely keep playing on VR for the ambiance and scares.

Loving RE7 in VR! I've played about 2 hours so far. The atmosphere and dread is really well done. I'm just playing on a standard PS4, so the graphics are a little low res - but I don't think that hurts the horror aspect at all.

Was slightly concerned that it might be too intense to play in VR, but I just really enjoyed it. So far, I still consider P.T. to be the creepier of the two - even just in 2D.

I tried playing with smooth turning, which I prefer from a gameplay perspective, but I started to get queasy so had to change back to snapping. Hoping I can get used to the movement to play with smooth turning though.

Mindman

So my brother got the VR for RE7 and was super hyped. He called me later super disappointed at how pixelated PSVR games look. He said cinema mode looks fine. I'm going over there tonight to see it myself. Is that normal? He's returning it if so.

dyergram

So my brother got the VR for RE7 and was super hyped. He called me later super disappointed at how pixelated PSVR games look. He said cinema mode looks fine. I'm going over there tonight to see it myself. Is that normal? He's returning it if so.
Games are pixelated less so on the pro. Getting the headset posistioned correctly will reduce blur though. I struggle with this every time I use mine though tbf.

nampad

Rise of Tomb Raider - Blood Ties impressions
The VR dlc was one of the reasons I bought the game when it was discounted. I have to say that the manor itself and being able to explore it in VR was really impressive. The whole DLC had a great atmosphere to it.

The gameplay was simple exploration and wouldn't have bothered me too much if the DLC had not the very same issues that plagued the game, awful writing, laughable voice acting performances and some of the worst pacing ever. Crystal Dynamics thought that plastering the manor with things to explore would build their world, instead it just stopped you at every corner for something boring and meaningless hindering the pace of the game.

Not having Move support was also a big missed potential as hand presence adds so much to the experience. I had some issues with the teleportation controls, somehow the calibration of the Dualshock drifted so that I had to point somewhere else than where I wanted to go. Once the whole teleportation system wasn't even working anymore and I had to restart the experience. You can sometimes also get stuck in the geometry which is so much worse in VR than without it.

Overall, I can't recommend getting the game just for the VR DLC (something I would do for Battlefront).

Lense craziness
I noticed micro scratches on the lenses today when the PSVR was turned off. I don't know when those happened and whether those are normal because you don't really notice them when you wear the headset.

I am kind of afraid it happened the past weekend when a friend of mine with glasses tried it out. I don't know, he acted kind of stupid when trying on the PSVR headset. When I told him that he should try to move the headset to find the sweet spot he didn't move the whole thing but tried to fold the visor part, which kind of hurt watching.

Do the lenses really scratch that quickly? The worst thing is, my friend apparently barely needs his glasses and preferred using the headset without them later on.
Another culprit could be the lens pen but I would be surprised if that scratched the lens. The scratches are plenty and seem to be in a circular motion though which would fit the lens pen more than the glasses.
Or are these just small smudges I can't clean off?

chris121580

Man, I usually do just fine with horror games but RE7 in VR takes things to a whole other level. It's absolutely terrifying and I'm loving every minute of it. I agree that PSVR is worth it for this game alone...luckily there are plenty of other good VR games out there too

Bu-bu-but vaporware.

lol, now that I think about it, ever since that guy made the thread about PSVR games becoming vaporware, the games he mentioned have started to get release dates:

Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 (Launched today)
Tekken 7 (June 2)

So maybe him making that thread was a good thing :p

androvsky

lol, now that I think about it, ever since that guy made the thread about PSVR games becoming vaporware, the games he mentioned have started to get release dates:

Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 (Launched today)
Tekken 7 (June 2)

So maybe him making that thread was a good thing :p
Still... need... War Thunder. *oof*

The annoying thing is it's been getting a lot of patches lately, and the notes on the PS4 just have a URL to go to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom