• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glix

Holy shit RE7 guys. I only played about an hour but holy fucking shit.

Its like nothing I've ever experienced in a game, ever. I'm fucking TERRIFIED. It's amazing.

AND I'm still on OG PS4. I can't even imagine on a pro.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Bound is amazing now, thank you for the patch. It's so much more fun with the follow camera, way easier to play and platform and the sliding parts at the end are just a totally different great experience.

Best VR platformer now.

And here it is, Colin said on Playstation I Love You that Bound should have never been made.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
No he said Sony should've not funded it. Considereing how uninformed he became since the Beyond days I doubt he even realize it's has a great VR mode.

Yes that's better phrasing of what he said. Still that's even incredible considering what GAF has to say about the game.

Shoeless

In this case, I believe the context is that only the HK version has an English translation. The Japanese version would work, but it'd be a lot harder to navigate the menus.

Then wouldn't it be the same thing? Create an HK/Singapore account, then just go to some place like Play Asia and buy the region appropriate PSN card? At least that way, when the HK version does come out, you'd be able to just download it and play. If your PS4 has been designated as the primary console for that account, you can even play it on any other account on that machine and still get trophies for it, if that's an issue.

I've gotten several notifications from Nowinstock over the last 24 hours but every time I get to BestBuy or whatever site, it's not available for shipping - only in stores, but no stores around me have any. WTF xD

The camera in Bound had made it a whole new game for me. Whereas before you got a static perspective of an environment from an angle of your own choosing, now the camera following behind the dancer gives it an entirely new sense of place for me. I get to enjoy the scale of the environments and the feeling of traversing a space from A to B actually exists now with a continuous camera.

The ribbon flying parts are what they should have been all along, now it's like a fun fantasy roller coaster.

One thing however. Let me be able to zoom in and out. Make it an OPTION for those of us who are adjusted to VR and would like to fly the camera around as fast as we like. It's bizarre that the camera isn't handed over to me wholly. Make your default whatever you think is safest and give the options to fully play around with this beautiful software.

crimnos

Holy shit RE7 guys. I only played about an hour but holy fucking shit.

Its like nothing I've ever experienced in a game, ever. I'm fucking TERRIFIED. It's amazing.

AND I'm still on OG PS4. I can't even imagine on a pro.

Pro still has some rendering issues (you can see a bit of a wavering effect if you stare into the distance), but some moments are just jaw-dropping, both from an experience and technical side. Definitely the VR killer app for me, justified my purchase single-handedly.

I was planning on getting RE7 from Amazon UK, would have been £40 with my Prime discount. I should have bought it on Tuesday, because it's only available from 3rd party sellers now. Maybe I'll just pay the premium and get it from PSN...

I've been thinking about a PS4 Pro, but they're out of stock on Amazon, too. Looks like Argos have got some, though.

How big a deal is the screen-blanking issue for PSVR on Pro? I'd need to use safe mode to change the HDCP settings, right? Would that affect 4k games like Horizon and ME:A?

Koyuga

Finall snagged a PSVR a few days ago. After playing the demo disc and RE7 VR all day the last couple days, I feel like I'm still in VR while back in the real world. I guess this is common and lasts a few days? It's pretty weird.

That aside, my god is playing resident evil in VR terrifying and incredible. It's taking me a long time to get through the game because I keep stopping to look at all the details in the environment. Feels like a real place!

Finall snagged a PSVR a few days ago. After playing the demo disc and RE7 VR all day the last couple days, I feel like I'm still in VR while back in the real world. I guess this is common and lasts a few days? It's pretty weird.

Super rare. Means you're going to die.

jk take more breaks.

Grinchy

Banned
I've been waiting to play Bound for this patch for a long time now and I'm still really excited to try it. It just came at a bad time. RE7 is too fucking amazing not to play instead. And when I get done playing RE7, I'd rather curl up in a ball somewhere safe than boot up another VR game.

I've been waiting to play Bound for this patch for a long time now and I'm still really excited to try it. It just came at a bad time. RE7 is too fucking amazing not to play instead. And when I get done playing RE7, I'd rather curl up in a ball somewhere safe than boot up another VR game.

You know, now is actually a GREAT time for BOUND. After playing an hour of Rez7 last night, I really needed a pallet cleanse. The imagery was just too strong and I felt unsettled, so I played BOUND with the new follow cam.

It's just so beautiful. No other way to put it. The cam follows you so smoothly. The music i so soothing, and the colors are refreshing. BOUND is the perfect compliment to RE7.

So it should arrive by Saturday.

I got Batman VR, VR Worlds, and I own a few games with VR support such as Bound, Star Wars, etc.

Any other suggestions or freebies from PSN I should grab? I'm totally downloading Playroom VR

cakely

So it should arrive by Saturday.

I got Batman VR, VR Worlds, and I own a few games with VR support such as Bound, Star Wars, etc.

Any other suggestions or freebies from PSN I should grab? I'm totally downloading Playroom VR

Thumper has a really good demo.

Rez itself is great but the demo is too short to be worth it.

Grinchy

Banned
So I played about 10 or 20 minutes of RE7 and already had to shut it off. I don't know how I'm gonna do it.

lol just keep playing in 20 minute segments

It's amazing how much it starts to feel like a RE game when you get further in. It's completely new and completely what a RE fan would want at the same time.

Flandy

Played and beat RE7 in 10 hours
I normally hate horror games but I had a friend there watching the entire which made it much more bearable for me. I highly recommend it

Grinchy

Banned
Wow, that BOUND patch for the smooth camera controls makes the game so much better to play. It is stunning. I only played for 30 minutes or so but my jaw was dropped for most of that.

As much as I love RE7, it uses a lot of trickery to keep its framerate. It's constantly changing resolution, knocking out light sources, keeping lower resolution textures for too long when doing LOD changes, ect. Then you go and play BOUND and it's so unbelievably crisp and gorgeous. I'm not knocking RE7. I get why it has to do those things. It's just that a simpler game like BOUND shows how fantastic the image quality can be in VR games.

Tailzo

Wow, that BOUND patch for the smooth camera controls makes the game so much better to play. It is stunning. I only played for 30 minutes or so but my jaw was dropped for most of that.

As much as I love RE7, it uses a lot of trickery to keep its framerate. It's constantly changing resolution, knocking out light sources, keeping lower resolution textures for too long when doing LOD changes, ect. Then you go and play BOUND and it's so unbelievably crisp and gorgeous. I'm not knocking RE7. I get why it has to do those things.

I had no idea BOUND got a patch. Maybe I'll go back to it and check it :)

ffvorax

I'm having forehead pain after using PSVR for more than 30 mins. Anyone else?

It happens to me when I play games that are heavy to sustain like Robinson The Journey... I can instead play how much I like other games, like Batman or Playroom VR without a problem.

So it's probably related to the VR bad effects on some "nausea games" and how much you are used to VR...

TheBear

I thought one of the unwritten rules of VR was normal first person controls are the fastest way to make someone puke, yet the biggest and arguably most successful VR game in RE7 has exactly that. I've put 5 hours into it and I don't have a single comfort aid enabled and walking at normal speed. I also haven't heard many other reports of people being sick unlike Driveclub which was pretty mixed (didn't affect me either).

Did Capcom do something different. Or are FPS controls totally usable? To date the only game that has made me quesy was Windlands, but that was only once after a fairly long session.

somme

I thought one of the unwritten rules of VR was normal first person controls are the fastest way to make someone puke, yet the biggest and arguably most successful VR game in RE7 has exactly that. I've put 5 hours into it and I don't have a single comfort aid enabled and walking at normal speed. I also haven't heard many other reports of people being sick unlike Driveclub which was pretty mixed (didn't affect me either).

Did Capcom do something different. Or are FPS controls totally usable? To date the only game that has made me quesy was Windlands, but that was only once after a fairly long session.

RE7 hasn't made me feel nauseous at all. I'm not sure whether they've done some magical, or whether its months of playing other games beforehand. Rigs is the only game that still gives me issues.

Wollan

The game defaults to very comfortable settings with 30 degree turns and no side-strafing + relative low walking speeds I believe?
Most FPS VR games I've seen has usually thrown users straight into the deep pool of no comfort settings instead of letting them adapt. Also the engine is completely locked framerate-wise and they are doing all the right tricks in fading-to-black in transition scenes and showing cutscenes as a monitor in front of the player.

Grinchy

Banned
RE7 feels fine to me too and I have never had any of the comfort settings turned on.

My brother, though, can only play for like 30 minutes at a time. We used to play RIGS online together for hours and he was fine. But RE7 gets him pretty bad. It really sucks.

kinggroin

Banned
Yo, you can play a lot of PSVR games without the camera. WTF?

You lose spatial tracking but I have full rotation, which is fine for controller games. The bet part? 100% eliminates the world swimming issue.

*Splinter

Yo, you can play a lot of PSVR games without the camera. WTF?

You lose spatial tracking but I have full rotation, which is fine for controller games. The bet part? 100% eliminates the world swimming issue.
Cool that it works for some people, but I find anything without spatial tracking (videos, Hyper Void, anything on mobile VR) gives me a headache after about half an hour.

Freeman76

Pro still has some rendering issues (you can see a bit of a wavering effect if you stare into the distance), but some moments are just jaw-dropping, both from an experience and technical side. Definitely the VR killer app for me, justified my purchase single-handedly.

Is it played with a controller or do I need anything else apart from the VR unit and RE7? This could be the game that makes me buy VR

My PSVR has been nothing but a dust collector for about 3 weeks. Playing RE7 on my TV, tried the RE7 demo and it gave me motion sickness.

Just wanted to tell y'all..and I think this is a known thing but I tested it awhile ago..you can use two extenstion cables connected together.

I called Sony Support and pretended my cable was bad so they sent me a new one. It's nice having 12 feet of slack now ..too bad there are zero games worth breaking it out for. Star Trek can't come soon enough.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
It happens to me when I play games that are heavy to sustain like Robinson The Journey... I can instead play how much I like other games, like Batman or Playroom VR without a problem.

So it's probably related to the VR bad effects on some "nausea games" and how much you are used to VR...
I think it is cause of the band which causes pressure. As soon as I remove it the pain goes away. Wish there was a way to loosen it at a specific point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom