• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
You have to have the camera to use VR at all.

You can play Batman with the gamepad but it's not ideal. (Also you should know it's only about half an hour long.)

No one finishes it in a half hour the first time.

ChouGoku

I have played RE7 in VR the last three nights, and have really been struggling with motion sickness. After about an hour of play I have to stop, and the nausea continues to linger for hours afterwards.

I tried both the snap and smooth movement, both of which still eventually make me nauseous. It's really disappointing as I had really been having a great time in my shorts stints with it in VR. Sadly I may have to finish it without....
I would turn the turning to 7. I was getting motion sickness for a while. Once I turned it to 7 I felt so much better. Turning to slow was sickening

XPert

Neo Member
having now fooled around with the psvr more this evening, it's RE7 that is causing the problems I was concerned about. There's some gray filter used that makes it look washed out. Even the black areas around screen mode parts of the game. I was fooling around in the ps4's options and the black areas are totally black.

I hope they patch that out at some point unless that filter is hiding something worse.

We may never know.

Just turn off FOV option in game settings.

ckohler

Ok so apart from RE are there any other games/experiences which are enjoyable without move controllers?
I enjoy Tumble VR, Playroom VR (free), Battlezone, and Pinball FX 2 VR using a DualShock 4. Tumble supports both DS4 or Move but I actually prefer DS4 to using a Move in that.

Games that support Move that I like are: Holoball, Sports Bar VR, Wayward Sky and Rush of Blood. The last also supports DS4 but I don't think it would be as good without 2 Move controllers.

Having a bit of an issue though. I get "micro wobble" on the headset. Basically if I'm trying to look at an object I picked up or if I'm trying to read something on a wall, my viewpoint is constantly wobbling in tiny increments in random directions. It's very miniscule movements... almost like a vibration.

Anyone have this or know how to fix it?

There is usually two things that cause this, the headset is either slightly too far away from the camera (this is usually quite pronounced though) or there is something interfering with the tracking, usually a reflection of the headset lights or another light source.

Another one that many people don't do is calibrate the headset, it's in the headset settings and this can often sort out a lot of different issues people might get.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Damn guys, the thing is finally releasing here in South Africa after months of delay and now I'm not even sure I want one :(...was super hyped during its originally scheduled ww launch window but not it kinda has died down.

Now I've seen the, generally positive, impressions of RE7 pop up here and there and while I'm sure it's a great showcase for VR my heart can barely deal with horror games during normal circumstances...let alone in VR!

The fact that the headset and accessories cost about 1.5x the price of a Pro has dampened my excitement even further.

Anyone have any words of encouragement or caution during these last few days I would appreciate it.

robotrock

Banned
Damn guys, the thing is finally releasing here in South Africa after months of delay and now I'm not even sure I want one :(...was super hyped during its originally scheduled ww launch window but not it kinda has died down.

Now I've seen the, generally positive, impressions of RE7 pop up here and there and while I'm sure it's a great showcase for VR my heart can barely deal with horror games during normal circumstances...let alone in VR!

The fact that the headset and accessories cost about 1.5x the price of a Pro has dampened my excitement even further.

Anyone have any words of encouragement or caution during these last few days I would appreciate it.

wait till E3 if you can and see how Sony goes about supporting it in its second year.

Osiris397

Banned
Sony needs to incorporate Head tracking based aim for all games at the root level of the PS4 OS so you can just re-map the aiming stick to head tracking for games being played in cinema mode. Even without full VR immersion head tracking aim would bring a mountain of accuracy difference on par with or better than mouse based aim for a lot of people.

Long lines are forming in Japan for PSVR now. With new supplies I finally I might have a half a chance to get one.

Lol...same here. I'm 46 and I keep telling myself "it's just a game"

Did not work :/

I played a lot yesterday and actually found myself being braver than expected. When I tried the demo in VR the jump scares really got me.

One bit that did get to me was (spoiler for very early on, guest house)
trying to free my hand while Mia gets her chainsaw started
. I felt genuinely afraid of what was going to happen.

I haven't tried it on the big screen yet. I think I'll play through the whole thing in VR. I am getting more and more tempted by a Pro, though.

nampad

The Pro makes your games look nicer, PSVR makes everything a whole lot of a different experience you haven't had before (if you don't have another VR headset).

For me, the VR experience is something special even if we don't have many full game experiences yet and it is totally worth it.

Sony needs to incorporate Head tracking based aim for all games at the root level of the PS4 OS so you can just re-map the aiming stick to head tracking for games being played in cinema mode. Even without full VR immersion head tracking aim would bring a mountain of accuracy difference on par with or better than mouse based aim for a lot of people.

Long lines are forming in Japan for PSVR now. With new supplies I finally I might have a half a chance to get one.

I've been thinking about the bolded. I think it probably could only operate on a game by game basis, requiring dev resources etc. etc. So ... Let's not hold out hope. But it would sort of transform playing PES 2017, which I have been doing lately at the expense of any VR games. Sitting somewhere in the stands ... or any sensible vantage point, but able to look up-field and down as desired.

There are also those occasions where a 2D screen offers a confusing display of where a football is in 3D space ... IE is it going wide, or high? ... Which I would imagine VR depth perception could wipe utterly away.

Can only dream. I'm sure we'll get there one day. It is frustrating when the tech is sitting right there but isn't being utilised properly. I do understand why though.

I mean in many games, the camera is where it is because any other view simply wasn't developed ... You'd see stuff just hanging in the air, bits and pieces missing etc.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'm a little embarrassed at the fact that this is probably, in no small part, motivated by DOAX getting that VR patch.

Oh, that happened, didn't it?
If you import an Asian-market physical copy will it get patched while logged into a US account? Asking for a friend.

Shoeless

Oh, that happened, didn't it?
If you import an Asian-market physical copy will it get patched while logged into a US account? Asking for a friend.

Y'know that's a great question. I honestly have no positive answer myself, but in theory, that *should* be the way it works.

Otherwise, worst comes to worst, create either a Japanese or Asian account, and then play it on that, if the American account won't seek and download the patch.

ranmafan

I'm a little embarrassed at the fact that this is probably, in no small part, motivated by DOAX getting that VR patch.

It's really not. Vast majority of people online in Japan are commentating this week how they waited in line for vr for re7, not for the doa dlc. Plus It's because the product is really really popular here and has been since the begining and we are getting almost no stock at all. Plus whatever stock that gets sold, an insane amount is going to resalers and scalpers. People like myself have begun to get very frustrated and angry at the situation and we don't know when we can actually buy one for ourselves.

I tried very hard to get one this week and I failed at every online store. I couldn't even try to wait in line somewhere because Sony stupidly had the restock on a regular workday. Even then almost every store is doing lotteries so waiting in line is not a guarantee.

I really want one but I'm not prepared to pay the insane scalper prices, and I don't think trying to import one is a good idea for some reason. Worried about warrentees on this unlike I did in the past with import systems. So I'm frustrated and don't know what to do.looks like I'll be waiting months sadly.

KalBalboa

Banned
Put 3 hours into RE7 today.

It's legitimately intimidating when I'm standing up in my living room while playing. I got into a groove and was able to see it as more of a game eventually, but it's still hard to shake how intense it can feel.

Freeman76

I have a PRO and I am SO tempted to buy this for RE7 as it sounds like a new kind of experience unmatched in terms of immersion. Im just worried this thing will be a fad like Kinect and 400 quid is a lot to pay for a device that could only end up having one killer app. I have TR and SWBF as well which both have VR experiences but they seem light. Decisions decisions......

Jimmy_liv

I have a PRO and I am SO tempted to buy this for RE7 as it sounds like a new kind of experience unmatched in terms of immersion. Im just worried this thing will be a fad like Kinect and 400 quid is a lot to pay for a device that could only end up having one killer app. I have TR and SWBF as well which both have VR experiences but they seem light. Decisions decisions......

I've really enjoyed RE. TR is meh, SWBF is decent but short.
Bound, Batman and RE7 are where it's at for me.
RE7 Poss the best gaming experience I've ever had in 33 years. Purchase justified.
Will buy the season pass too.

Dirt Rally VR this month as well so looking forward to that as well.

Freeman76

I've really enjoyed RE. TR is meh, SWBF is decent but short.
Bound, Batman and RE7 are where it's at for me.
RE7 Poss the best gaming experience I've ever had in 33 years. Purchase justified.
Will buy the season pass too.

Dirt Rally VR this month as well so looking forward to that as well.

Will dirt rally be free for people who own the game already?

I have the unit, camera and re7 in my basket, still havent treated myself to a special purchase for my 40th which was in April...just very cautious as to the future of this thing. RE7 is so tempting though lol

Jimmy_liv

Will dirt rally be free for people who own the game already?

I have the unit, camera and re7 in my basket, still havent treated myself to a special purchase for my 40th which was in April...just very cautious as to the future of this thing. RE7 is so tempting though lol

Dirt Rally VR is £10 but it enables the whole game in VR as opposed to just 'a VR mode'.

Need to get it bought before the stock is sold out again.

I think once you've played RE in VR it's easy to see the future is here. It's not going away.

Freeman76

Dirt Rally VR is £10 but it enables the whole game in VR as opposed to just 'a VR mode'.

Need to get it bought before the stock is sold out again.

I think once you've played RE in VR it's easy to see the future is here. It's not going away.

I have to say man I am so tempted!!

Resident Evil 7 in VR is the best gaming experience i have had for many a year, Probably way back on the ps1. I would never say to anyone spend 400 on a device for 1 game, But i have to say if you are looking for an experience like no other out there, Then it most certainly is worth it, Because you are in the game, You are walking around, Peeping down corridors, Looking upstairs, Out windows etc. You will see Resident Evil through the eyes of Jill Valentine and Chris Redfield when they entered that mansion. The fear is real, But it's one you have to experience.

Oxn

Resident Evil 7 in VR is the best gaming experience i have had for many a year, Probably way back on the ps1. I would never say to anyone spend 400 on a device for 1 game, But i have to say if you are looking for an experience like no other out there, Then it most certainly is worth it, Because you are in the game, You are walking around, Peeping down corridors, Looking upstairs, Out windows etc. You will see Resident Evil through the eyes of Jill Valentine and Chris Redfield when they entered that mansion. The fear is real, But it's one you have to experience.

The fack at that last spoiler man.

I have to say man I am so tempted!!

When you try it some time, you easily realise that VR is not a fad. Maybe now is the infancy period and consequently not the ideal by the tech aspect, maybe it needs more good games like Resident Evil 7, maybe it will have a slow evolution the next months, years but imo definitely is not a fad.

The fack at that last spoiler man.

He talks about Resident Evil 1 I suppose.:p

Bradach

RE7 proves that first person games where you freely walk around work in VR.
I'm glad that whole warping / blinking around method isn't necessary.

RE7 is almost too intense / scary for me but a first person fantasy RPG (ala Skyrim) would be incredible

RE.net says more than 83,000 people who are registered have played in PSVR. That's a big number, but perhaps more impressive is how quickly it's grown.

What are the chances of the RE2 remake getting the PSVR treatment after the reception that RE7 has had? I'd love to wander the Racoon City police station in VR. They could do VHS segments of the fall of Racoon City from the points of view of the cops, lab techs, etc. Could be awesome.

Gitaroo

I really hope after the success of RE7, Sony will pay monolith to convert condemned 1&2 to current gen and add PSVR support. Also hope capcom will do a killer7 PSVR, the on rail nature of the game is like it was made for it.

Freeman76

RE.net says more than 83,000 people who are registered have played in PSVR. That's a big number, but perhaps more impressive is how quickly it's grown.

What are the chances of the RE2 remake getting the PSVR treatment after the reception that RE7 has had? I'd love to wander the Racoon City police station in VR. They could do VHS segments of the fall of Racoon City from the points of view of the cops, lab techs, etc. Could be awesome.

Word of mouth will sell this loads on VR. I wasnt even thinking of buying a PSVR until I heard that RE7 was not only playable but actually very good. I wonder how much work has to go into making a game VR compatible like this? If devs could patch it in we could see some awesome older titles in VR but I suspect the game has to be built around it somehow?

I'm thrilled for RE7's success and I'm glad that the response has been overwhelmingly positive.

I'm hoping that a couple things come from this:

• Devs realize that you don't have to limit VR to horror
  • More devs pay attention to the potential of VR bringing life (and sales) to non AAA games that would normally get overlooked in a crowded market. For example: RE7 was off my radar because after 6, I was done with the franchise. VR brought me back. Similarly, I bought VIRGINIA for something like 3 bucks on a PSN flash sale. Immediately lost interest because it became obvious within seconds that the game would've been awesome in VR instead. Haven't touched it since. Were they to release a VR version of the same game, though, I'd easily double dip and pay $20.00 no questions asked.
  • VR mode becomes the new Multiplayer mode in non-high profile games. Remember when everyone thought they needed a multiplayer mode to sell a game? Well now smaller games can spend that time getting the VR audience instead of the crowded multiplayer space. Remember Dead Space 2? How they had to cram in a multiplayer mode because EA assumed that would help the game sell to a wider audience? Imagine if Dead Space 2 released today? Those resources would go to a VR mode, and I think that the return on investment would be MUCH higher.
  • Because of the reception to VR, devs start looking at ALL of the camera perspectives that VR can be used in. Unfortunately, too many devs parrot the line that VR should be First Person. That's wrong, and because of that closed POV, many aren't even entertaining the idea.
  • If you can't think of an awesome way to use the MOVE control for full on VR, that's okay. Don't force it. RE7 shows that you can make a compelling VR experience with the DS4 as long as you take the time to do it right and pay attention to details. Fans want the experimental full-on VR games, too. However, if that's not your wheelhouse, there's a place for your game too as long as you take VR seriously and not just...
  • ...brief VR mode in your game must die. Look, I get it. Devs think that offering a single VR level is cool. It's not. It's actually annoying and its a trend that I hope dies. Either offer a significant portion of the game as a VR alternative, offer meaty VR campaign packages for DLC, or just don't do it. I'll pay $20.00 bucks for Battlefront to get to your VR level. I'm just not paying 60 bucks for Tomb Raider for your single VR level.
  • Don't blame the limitations of VR on why people are getting sick. Spend the extra time to make a CONTROL AND COMFORT SCHEME FOR EVERYONE. I love smooth turning and VR comfort off. I have full VR legs, and hate teleporting, blinking, degreed turning, and comfort tricks. On the other hand, many people need this stuff to enjoy the game. So why not both? Don't limit the game because people get sick. Just make a control scheme for both crowds.
If development moves in this direction because of RE7, this is the VR industry's biggest win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom