• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Is it just me or is Tiny Trax hard as fuck? 0o Generally I love the idea, but it seems that you need to do everything perfectly to at least have a chance of winning 0o

Futurlab games are typically hard but learnable and have a good curve, i would suggest trying to master conrning and drifting on one track then slowly progessing once you get the mechanics should be fairly simple to progress they did a stream on twitch (futurlab) they play and answer question explain how to play might be worth a watch.

I keep seeing Arizona Sunshine posted but the giant bomb video really didn't sell it for me.

It has been improved since and i found it to be a ton of fun with Moves dualwielding guns and really enjoying the campaign. At best it really simulates a "realistic" zombie survival game as it doesn't have any special monsters. Shooting around corners, reloading revolvers is badass as you can see the cylider drop the empty casings and then pull the gun to your belt to reload it.

But it's not a pretty game and the GiantBomb style of a bunch of guys constantly critizising it for 15 minutes is not best showcase for it :D it definitely takes 30-60minutes of getting used to the awkward controls and ugly graphics :D

And with Aim i think all door/item interaction is an afterthought and works even more awkwardly than moving with the two Moves.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
It has been improved since and i found it to be a ton of fun with Moves dualwielding guns and really enjoying the campaign. At best it really simulates a "realistic" zombie survival game as it doesn't have any special monsters. Shooting around corners, reloading revolvers is badass as you can see the cylider drop the empty casings and then pull the gun to your belt to reload it.

But it's not a pretty game and the GiantBomb style of a bunch of guys constantly critizising it for 15 minutes is not best showcase for it :D it definitely takes 30-60minutes of getting used to the awkward controls and ugly graphics :D

And with Aim i think all door/item interaction is an afterthought and works even more awkwardly than moving with the two Moves.

I keep seeing Arizona Sunshine posted but the giant bomb video really didn't sell it for me.
I've waxed on and on about AS in this thread. With the Aim in particular it's one of my GOTY. Somehow I enjoy it more than Farpoint.

I've waxed on and on about AS in this thread. With the Aim in particular it's one of my GOTY. Somehow I enjoy it more than Farpoint.

I'm almost with you there, if only the production values were up there with Farpoint. AS was a fun game with the Aim controller and one I imagine I will attempt to Plat, given the extreme difficulty of the Farpoint challenges, I can't see me getting that one any time soon.

Grinchy

Banned
The new Aim update really did help Arizona out a lot. I've also found that when using the Aim, having the camera positioned WAY above you and pointed down helps tracking a ton. I just randomly decided to try the position out one day and was really surprised by how much better the Aim tracking was, and this was before any patches or sight changes. The Move controllers have just always been relatively solid, tracking-wise for the game if your setup is decent. It's just funky to move around with them until you get used to it.

I'm actually close to getting the platinum in Arizona now, and that's after I was very close to contacting Sony for a refund on the game after the first night it came out. So yeah, they improved it. It still has a nice long list of mediocre aspects, but shooting a zombie's brains out with the Aim is quite satisfying.

Is it still worthy without the aim controller? I'm loving Superhot after being away from VR for a while and really need a new game to keep at it (Dino Frontier will come next week, but still)

MattAces

Anybody who got Infinite Minigolf manage to find a MP match yet?

Can't find a single match, add me and maybe we can have some match. iMattAces.
I'm enjoying this game way more than I thought I would.

Is it still worthy without the aim controller? I'm loving Superhot after being away from VR for a while and really need a new game to keep at it (Dino Frontier will come next week, but still)

I enjoyed AS with Move this whole time until the patch recently. I would say with Aim, it's just another level of added value, other than that, the contents are the same. AS full locomotion might not be suitable for some, but I thought it worked really well. Press X to move, X on both Move to run. Triangle and Square to turn camera left/right. And you can use one of your Move to point at certain direction and press X to strafe there (move backward/strafe left/right).

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
On the subject of Arizona's worth with the Moves, teleporting isn't an option for me unless locomotion isn't an option (Like in Doom). I need to be able to walk.

I forget if the Dualshock mode is like Farpoint where it's essentially an Aim, but if so they would be totally worthwhile.

DagsJT

Farpoint bundle is in stock at a shop near me but £75 is a large outlay. But then I keep reading how good the AIM controller is...

Farpoint bundle is in stock at a shop near me but £75 is a large outlay. But then I keep reading how good the AIM controller is...

well CEX will give you 52 for the aim and 20 for farpoint in vouchers to spend there and £43 £14 for cash so not too much of a risk and to be honest if you put it up on Ebay might get a lot more.

Personally if you are invested in VR think the AIM will become as much of a neccesity as move controllers it is really good and i did not regret buying it.

MattAces

There's around 10 new PSVR games announced during ChinaJoy 2017.
Update: New games announced fully updated, trailers attached to below every images, I will try my best to find more.
Update 2: I found the full livestream, there was a new "The Walker" short gameplay, showing new enemies jumping around.

Happy Voxel
sie_12.jpg

sie_29.jpg

http://party.uccvr.com/#modal
Salary Man's Perplexed Life VR
sie_13.jpg
Soul Dimension
sie_34.jpg
I'm Hungry
sie_39.jpg

Stifled is a PSVR game? Well shit I do't think I could play that. Was recently watching some gameplay for that and thought it was a great concept.

Really looking forward to all these Chinese developed games. The first wave weren't so hot but they are bringing some great ideas to the table.

Is it just me or is Tiny Trax hard as fuck? 0o Generally I love the idea, but it seems that you need to do everything perfectly to at least have a chance of winning 0o
It's not just you. The AI is super hard to beat, best I've ever done is 3rd place. I still like the game though, its gorgeous.

It's not just you. The AI is super hard to beat, best I've ever done is 3rd place. I still like the game though, its gorgeous and the mechanics are unique.

So what's the consensus so far on Infinite Minigolf? $13.50 is a pretty attractive price and I love games that feature holiday themed stages (Christmas/Halloween). Does it feature local multiplayer?

Sparc launching August 29

https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...l-sport-from-ccp-launches-on-ps-vr-august-29/

There's around 10 new PSVR games announced during ChinaJoy 2017.
Update: New games announced fully updated, trailers attached to below every images, I will try my best to find more.
Update 2: I found the full livestream, there was a new "The Walker" short gameplay, showing new enemies jumping around.

Nice job with the updates Matt, you dove right in while I was sleeping xD

MattAces

Sparc launching August 29

https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...l-sport-from-ccp-launches-on-ps-vr-august-29/

Nice job with the updates Matt, you dove right in while I was sleeping xD

Sifting through China sites to hunt for these information is a pain. No YouTube and No usual fast loading news site. Had to search a lot of them by their Chinese terms but fortunately I read and write them enough to find it!

So what's the consensus so far on Infinite Minigolf? $13.50 is a pretty attractive price and I love games that feature holiday themed stages (Christmas/Halloween). Does it feature local multiplayer?

The beginning courses of the game are extremely boring and dull. But it gets better overtime when they started introducing powers and crazy tracks that you will be jumping around. Haven't tried the other 2 themes but I've spent maybe 2 hours + in the Big House one. What surprises me is the user generated content, was fully expecting a bunch of terrible tracks, but most of them I've played is quite decent. You get currencies and missions to unlock clothing. Local MP is in, couldn't find any online matches unfortunately. Played the whole thing in flat screen since my VR is in repair and I bet the VR version will look extremely cool.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Sifting through China sites to hunt for these information is a pain. No YouTube and No usual fast loading news site. Had to search a lot of them by their Chinese terms but fortunately I read and write them enough to find it!

The beginning courses of the game are extremely boring and dull. But it gets better overtime when they started introducing powers and crazy tracks that you will be jumping around. Haven't tried the other 2 themes but I've spent maybe 2 hours + in the Big House one. What surprises me is the user generated content, was fully expecting a bunch of terrible tracks, but most of them I've played is quite decent. You get currencies and missions to unlock clothing. Local MP is in, couldn't find any online matches unfortunately. Played the whole thing in flat screen since my VR is in repair and I bet the VR version will look extremely cool.

If I saw it correctly its not really Minigolf though, right? More like a dexterity game as you can steer the ball?

MattAces

If I saw it correctly its not really Minigolf though, right? More like a dexterity game as you can steer the ball?

Nope, it's absolutely a classic minigolf game. The steering is just one of the powerup.

Anyway anybody who got it please add me! Need to get some MP action going.

I think it's well worth the price. Local multi is there, however not while using vr.

If you got it, let's start up some casual MP matches. iMattAces

Chabbles

Driveclub needs to be played with opentop cars only, at midday for best lighting conditions. So much fun.

I shouldn't have bought into the praise for Thumper, Res, and JobSim, 3 biggest VR let downs so far. Jobsim is gimmicky on the same level as bowling and golf games were with the original PS Move. Beyond boring, but on some level its a cool way to show what is possible with the tech.
Res and Thumper arent terrible, just praised way too much as best thing since sliced bread and must buys, meh.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Nope, it's absolutely a classic minigolf game. The steering is just one of the powerup.

Anyway anybody who got it please add me! Need to get some MP action going.

If you got it, let's start up some casual MP matches. iMattAces

Ah, k, thanks!

MattAces

Ok then, I'll grab Infinite Minigolf. The price is too good, MattAces, I'll add you when I get home from work!

Keep in mind there's only 3 themes now. It didn't bother me too much now after playing it because of the variety in custom courses. Also the golf ball hitting is a little odd, instead of using the usual button clicking, it uses analog stick, flick down for the power bar to charge up. I'm asking the dev if they plan on adding an alternative golf ball hitting, hopefully I will get an answer soon.

The Dude

Was back in farpoint last night and I can't get over how awesome shooting in that game feels and how the size and scope of it all is just so impressive. Really hope we see more utilize the aim gun soon

Keep in mind there's only 3 themes now. It didn't bother me too much now after playing it because of the variety in custom courses. Also the golf ball hitting is a little odd, instead of using the usual button clicking, it uses analog stick, flick down for the power bar to charge up. I'm asking the dev if they plan on adding an alternative golf ball hitting, hopefully I will get an answer soon.

The Halloween/Christmas themes are fine by me - especially like you said since there's going to be a lot of custom courses out there. That control scheme is fine by me, I've played similar games using that. I'm hoping they do introduce more themes down the line though.

I don't know if you've delved too much into the creator but are there a lot of options/props/etc for making your own course? How easy is it to do?

MattAces

The Halloween/Christmas themes are fine by me - especially like you said since there's going to be a lot of custom courses out there. That control scheme is fine by me, I've played similar games using that. I'm hoping they do introduce more themes down the line though.

I don't know if you've delved too much into the creator but are there a lot of options/props/etc for making your own course? How easy is it to do?

I haven't try out the course creator, but judging from the courses I've played, there's A LOT of random props. I'll check it later.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Well damn at all the China stuff & PSVR updates. And AAA monkey king game in VR? Hell yes but what if I am the real monkey king in real life already?

MattAces

Well damn at all the China stuff & PSVR updates. And AAA monkey king game in VR? Hell yes but what if I am the real monkey king in real life already?

It's just an experience sadly, how in depth it is we have no idea. There's zero site reporting it too, just got lucky tuning in the perfect time and saw it.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
It's just an experience sadly, how in depth it is we have no idea. There's zero site reporting it too, just got lucky tuning in the perfect time and saw it.
Ah shit like the Spiderman experience type of thing? Nvm then. But still, thanks a ton for the updates! Makes me check this thread regularly.

Kalentan

In Superhot VR does anyone else have trouble grabbing the VR helmet when you're in the real world? I have to grab it a bunch of times before the game will register it.

beanman25

Super hot vr is amazing. Picked it up and finally had the chance to try it. Favorite thing ive played in VR so far.

I've really bought so many games compared to non vr stuff. But like carnival games for 10 bucks was too good to pass up. I love playing that.

KalBalboa

Banned
In Superhot VR does anyone else have trouble grabbing the VR helmet when you're in the real world? I have to grab it a bunch of times before the game will register it.

I had that issue and checked what my camera could see. Turns out I was reaching out of view.

can only buy 1..

Arizona Sunshine or Superhot VR?

I have the aim controller

Do you have the Move Controllers too? If so, then Superhot is the game you buy.

If you only Own the AIM controller, then AZ Sunshine is great especially after the latest Patch which improved AIM and controls in general.

Simple answer, Superhot is the better game.
AZ Sunsine is a close second if all you have is AIM controller.

I had that issue and checked what my camera could see. Turns out I was reaching out of view.

How far do people stand from the camera? I have my camera on top of my TV (about 4-5ft of ground) and I typically stand about 5-6ft from camera. I am 6'4" though so I typically sit down. Superhot you have to stand of course so I do find at times I hit the edges of my tracking more often. Should I take a step back? I do have some room but I always though that 5-6ft was ideal distance from camera.

rObit

Banned
I'm enjoying my time with Infinite Minigolf so far! I played about 45 minutes of it with the headset on and about as long with it off. The game is pretty fun in VR and I like being able to peek around obstacles and stuff like that. I was kind of hoping for a Move control option, I think that would go well with the VR mode and the swing mechanic that's already in the game is ideal for it since it's not a 3-button swing anyway. It's not a deal breaker though, I wanted to get the game either way so I didn't bother to do the quick Google search that would have told me there's no Move support. I do feel like general menu navigation is easier outside of VR mode, and having the camera follow the ball is better without the VR, so I guess there are pros and cons to using VR mode, but it's a fun game in either setup.

I was able to get into an online match but I had to wait about 5 minutes, hopefully the game gets good word of mouth and continued support so the community for it grows.

valeu

I got Tiny Trax and Infinite Minigolf. They are both quality titles. Beautiful games graphically. Gameplay seems simple, but there is skill to learn to actually get first place in TT and in IM on the harder difficulties. Recommended

FingerBang

Infinite Minigolf has some of the best graphics on PSVR. I've got a PS4 Pro so I can't speak for the og PS4, but damn if it's clean and nice. It definitely shows how the low-resolution problem is not as big as many people think.

It can cause some motion sickness while using one of the power ups (the remote control), but in general, the sense of scale you get while playing in virtual reality is great. Definitely recommended if you want an arcade game to play with friends (it has local co-op).

Played about a half hour of Infinite Minigolf. It looks pretty damn good in VR but man would it kill the devs to put some information in the game about what icons do what. I really wish we had some better control over the camera too in both VR and non-VR modes (though it's way easier to see in VR). It makes it pretty frustrating to get a decent view.

That being said it's pretty fun to play. Not bad for the price!

LaneDS

Just played SUPERHOT VR for the first time which was fucking great. I was worried the Move controllers wouldn't be up to the task, and while they're not perfect they absolutely give you a lot of the feeling of what that game should be all about. I played for about twenty minutes until I karate chopped the fuck out of my monitor and then realized I should probably chill out/stop sweating.

Super fucking cool and will be showing that to anyone interested in VR from here on out.

MattAces

Everybody please get Infinite Minigolf. VR or not, just get it. The multiplayer is pure fun. I played 1v1 with some random guy a few matches and it was crazy fun.

We need to get 4~8 players, ball collision + random golf shapes going on ASAP. Please!

Ah cool, good stuff there.

Also anyone have any redeeming qualities to mention for Theseus? I'm so bummed it didn't get any praise, I love the setting. Anyone take the plunge?

It got 4~6/10 across the board. Only PlayStation Universe reviewed it 8/10.

Top Bottom