• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

valeu

I disagree on paranormal Activity, I found it fine and really enjoyable. Too pricey though. Maybe I'm just lucky with my setup but the moves worked fine for me.
let me explain for people who haven't played: imagine if you had a gameboy advance micro in each hand, and you had to remember to push the tiny a and b buttons on the left hand to move forward and backward, the a and b buttons on the right hand to turn. but you don't turn instantly, each time you push the turn button the screen blacks out and fades back in as you have turned incrementally. also, another button is crouch. and on each hand there is a button to cycle through inventory. and at the same time, whereever you are looking with your headset if you push forward, you move in that direction. .that's what it's like using the tiny buttons of the move controllers to move in a 3d space..........imagine playing a horror walking simulator in a 3d modelled house like gone home, with two floors and 30 rooms, narrow hallways, trying to open 50 locked doors and navigate like this. these controls are insanely un-intuitive, imprecise, unfun, more often than not you you left staring at a wall when you meant to do something else, moving in a direction is a chore, and having to use moves is unnecessary because all you do in the game is walk, open doors, and pick up items which could be done so much better with the two sticks and one button press on the ds4......but this borked scenario is the only option at the moment

let me explain for people who haven't played: imagine if you had a gameboy advance micro in each hand, and you had to remember to push the tiny a and b buttons on the left hand to move forward and backward, the a and b buttons on the right hand to turn. but you don't turn instantly, each time you push the turn button the screen blacks out and fades back in as you have turned incrementally. also, another button is crouch. and on each hand there is a button to cycle through inventory. and at the same time, whereever you are looking with your headset if you push forward, you move in that direction. .that's what it's like using the tiny buttons of the move controllers to move in a 3d space..........imagine playing a horror walking simulator in a 3d modelled house like gone home, with two floors and 30 rooms, narrow hallways, trying to open 50 locked doors and navigate like this. these controls are insanely un-intuitive, imprecise, unfun, more often than not you you left staring at a wall when you meant to do something else, moving in a direction is a chore, and having to use moves is unnecessary because all you do in the game is walk, open doors, and pick up items which could be done so much better with the two sticks and one button press on the ds4......but this borked scenario is the only option at the moment

Yea I suppose if your unfamiliar with the moves it might cause a problem. I had no issues and was tearing around the house with ease. Definitely agree that smooth turning and a ds4 should have been an option though.

j^aws

These are the games I've played with analogue sticks for some kind of movement:

- Resident Evil 7 with DS4 controller
- Farpoint with AIM controller
- Starblood with DS4 controller
- Bound with DS4 controller
- Battlezone with DS4 controller
- Drive Club with DS4 controller
- Dirt Rally with DS4 controller
- Polybius with DS4 controller
- SuperHyperCube with DS4 controller (no analogue stick, only button-press to speed up)
- Until Dawn: Rush of Blood with Dual Move controllers (no analogue stick, automatic movement)

To some degree, they have all at some point given me mild symptoms of motion sickness that expired with time, except SuperHyperCube - this game gave me none. The conclusion I came to was that the less degrees of freedom given to movement, the less likely to be affected by motion sickness.

However, a game like Starblood has 6 DoF, and is one of least likely to affect me. This game uses head tracking for aiming. Another game with a high DoF is Farpoint with AIM, and I was also least affected by this game. What these games share are a strong sense of matching something from the real world to the VR world. That is, Farpoints gun controller and Starbloods head aiming. If these factors are strong enough, then motion sickness can be minimised.

Moreover, of the games that give me the strongest symptoms of motion sickness are games lacking in controller feedback and subtle visual feedback. For example, Drive Club has very little rumble feedback coming from the DS4, and feels like I am 'gliding' on tarmac, rather than gripping tarmac with wheels. And Battlezone feels like being on an ice ring, and sliding around, rather than controlling a behemoth futuristic tank.

Also, by standing and mimicking physical body movements can mitigate this feeling. For example, yawing your body with yaw movements, or rocking your body with analogue stick movements. If you can also mentally map these analogue stick movements and imagine them, whilst in VR, this can also help.

I find this period of VR experimentation akin to the early days of FPS during the 90s. For example, a visual cue of a gun just peering through into the game world, or inverting Y-axis camera look to map onto head movements, or the screen bobbing to mimick head movement whilst walking, and so on...

Eventually, developers cracked the problem for the majority, and people got used to common control schemes. I also seem to remember extensive in-game tutorials to help acclimatise players. This should be a priority as well for VR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0SmXoyqw4
PixelJunk VR Dead Hungry – Announce Trailer | PS VR

Oh what the fuck, this is the food game.
ScreenShot_02-1-853x480.png

GOTY? Yes!!!

Yea I suppose if your unfamiliar with the moves it might cause a problem. I had no issues and was tearing around the house with ease. Definitely agree that smooth turning and a ds4 should have been an option though.

Yeah, it takes a little time to get used to the control setup but after that, the game is fine but like you say, a bit on the expensive side.

If you like horror games, it's worth checking out when it's discounted.

shaneo632

Looking forward to seeing how reviews are for Sparc. Can't really justify paying £20 for it in case it's a dud, but annoying the price immediately goes up to £25 once it's out. That's how they get ya, I guess.

MattAces

Looking forward to seeing how reviews are for Sparc. Can't really justify paying £20 for it in case it's a dud, but annoying the price immediately goes up to £25 once it's out. That's how they get ya, I guess.

It's freaking $30 in US store.
Multiplayer only plus I'm in Asia region. I'm only limited to tutorial challenges.
Just give us bots like Holoball, come on.

wilflare

are there many games that support the PSVR Aim Controller?
or is it limited to Farpoint?

can I use it with Move and the Move Analog controller?

are there many games that support the PSVR Aim Controller?
or is it limited to Farpoint?

can I use it with Move and the Move Analog controller?

There's a few games that support it, including Dick Wilde and Arizona Sunshine.
Here's a list of released games - each marked with various symbols for their various peripheral support and other details.

The stars are aligned for a big PSVR showcase in PSX/PGW.

Hoping for reveals at PGW. It's just after the anniversary of the PSVR launch, so would be a good time for a couple of announcements.

I'm really hopeful for Dreams VR info. A date for beta this year would be great news.

New PlayStation VR bundles launch in North America on Sept 1

PSVR + Camera = $399US / $499CAD

PSVR + Camera + 2 PS Move + PlayStation VR Worlds disc = $449US / $579CAD

Kaako

Felium Defensor
New PlayStation VR bundles launch in North America on Sept 1

PSVR + Camera = $399US / $499CAD

PSVR + Camera + 2 PS Move + PlayStation VR Worlds disc = $449US / $579CAD
If they could shave a $100 off every price tag you listed, that would be just swell. Magic price point for first gen console VR mass adoption is $199 in my mind.
Do we have a semi-accurate estimate bill of materials cost on each PSVR HMD?

MattAces

Xeta for PSVR released in Asia. (around $13)
XETA is a PS VR first-person shooting game with black and white and high contrast visual style. Players who play as the female protagonist need to defeat all the enemies in particular time. Use the weapons equipped in the cockpit to shoot the monsters until the character's dead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49SQD84N2xE

I can't find a single fucking gameplay from their site or youtube. And the game is released. What the hell.

ChouGoku

Wow, Dino Frontier is extremely fun. I really don't like these kinds of games but I played it for a few hours with no breaks. I would love more games like that, the real kicker is the UI, it is both fun and intuitive and hopefully something other dev's try to copy in the future.

iosa

I just managed to snatch one thanks to you! It does not seem to be limited in supply for the moment.

Yeah it's not limited anymore.

I should receive mine today, probably won't try it before this weekend but I'm glad I finally picked this. I wish It was available 3 weeks ago though as I was on vacation

Powerwing

Quick question, amazon (france) is selling aim controller alone for 60€, worth it or not ?
i'm afraid that in the future it'll drop in price ....

Kyolux

Really bummed about the no VR on release for Obduction.

I'm on vacation and would have loved to put some serious time on it.

But at least I have other great games coming out today.

Matush

Finished Superhot VR, absolutely amazing experience. Question regarding challenges, do I need to complete whole game again for their completion or are they shorter challenges?

MattAces

I've been seeing nothing but high praise for SPARC.
Anybody around Asia/Australia region who tried it, please report back on match making.

MattAces

What the hell happened to Dimension Hunter :(
Need some Aim game now.
Also don't expect Raw Data in Sept. Game still not announced officially and they replied to me yesterday "It's coming this fall alongside the #RawData v1 release."

Need some Aim game now.
Also don't expect Raw Data in Sept. Game still not announced officially and they replied to me yesterday "It's coming this fall alongside the #RawData v1 release."

Yeah I was just about to remove it from Sept.

Also, all 3 Pocket Money Games seem to be stuck in Sony Cert, I expect them to release October.

Edit:
The Lost Bear slips to Sept 5 devs announced.

September is packed.

I'm about to have some childhood dreams realized.

Need some Aim game now.
As someone who played the demo, I would not get excited for Dimension Hunter. I'm not even sure what Aim support would really add over the Move controllers since it doesn't have player controlled locomotion.

Top Bottom