• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

shmoglish

We've had a ton of games.

SuperHot VR, Fantastic Contraption, Farpoint, Dick Wilde, Statik, Arizona Sunshine, Archangel, Dino Frontier, Korix, Dirt Rally VR DLC, Mortal Blitz, Polybius, Paranormal Activity. Resident Evil 7, Star Trek Bridge Crew, Tiny Trax, VR Invaders.......

It's been a great year for PSVR and plenty more coming too.

RE7 was my last Vr game (and it is a great one), almost forgot Superhot, Farpoint and Arizona Sunshine. Thank you very much.

So I just bought the full pack. Headset, 2 wands, Camera and PS Worlds.

I have a few questions:

Other than RE7, what are the best games for PSVR? I want to get Driveclub VR, I know it's not like the original game, but I bet it still is top notch.
Do I need plenty of space to play?
Is there any update, or I just can plug and play as soon as I get the headset?

MattAces

I have a few questions:

Other than RE7, what are the best games for PSVR? I want to get Driveclub VR, I know it's not like the original game, but I bet it still is top notch.

Farpoint, Superhot, Arizona Sunshine (with Aim), Statik, SPARC (if you're in EU/US), Dick Wilde. There's a lot of decent smaller titles too, I Expect You To Die, Keep Talking Nobody Explode, Job Simulator, Mortal Blitz, VR Invader.
Try Driveclub VR demo before you buy it, it's in the demo disc or free demo. I'm not a fan of it, but many people seem to like it. Many love Dirt VR too.

Space required:
Yes for standing game (Arizona Sunshine, SPARC, Superhot, Farpoint, Dick Wilde)
No for sitting game (RE7, Statik)

Standing experience - Camera placed at least head level pointing slightly down (floor visible). Stand 4.5-5 feet away from camera. You will need around 5 feet wide to avoid collision (when you are using PSMove/Aim controller).
Seated experience - Camera placed at seated head level. Sit as close as possible, around 3-4 feet.

There's update for the hardware yes. But not a huge update.

*Splinter

I have a few questions:

RE7 is a sit down game, you'll probably move around a bit but it doesn't need much more space than regular gaming. It's also played with the Dualshock in case you were expecting to use the moves for it.

Something like Superhot (recommended) needs a lot more space, but that game will use your moves. I expect Farpoint will also get a bunch of recommendations but that one really needs the Aim controller. I think it's also playable on dualshock.

For update, I guess you mean RE7 update? The base game is VR compatible, so any updates will be optional.

There are also some (again optional) set up things for VR, stuff like camera position and eye to eye distance. It's recommended to go through those to get the best experience.

Personally I'd recommend Thumper and Rigs (free on PS+ this month). Both are best played sitting down with a controller.

Farpoint, Superhot, Arizona Sunshine (with Aim), Statik, SPARC (if you're in EU/US), Dick Wilde. There's a lot of decent smaller titles too, I Expect You To Die, Keep Talking Nobody Explode, Job Simulator, Mortal Blitz, VR Invader.
Try Driveclub VR demo before you buy it, it's in the demo disc or free demo. I'm not a fan of it, but many people seem to like it. Many love Dirt VR too.

Space required:
Yes for standing game (Arizona Sunshine, SPARC, Superhot, Farpoint, Dick Wilde)
No for sitting game (RE7, Statik)

Standing experience - Camera placed at least head level pointing slightly down (floor visible). Stand 4.5-5 feet away from camera. You will need around 5 feet wide to avoid collision (when you are using PSMove/Aim controller).
Seated experience - Camera placed at seated head level. Sit as close as possible, around 3-4 feet.

There's update for the hardware yes. But not a huge update.

RE7 is a sit down game, you'll probably move around a bit but it doesn't need much more space than regular gaming. It's also played with the Dualshock in case you were expecting to use the moves for it.

Something like Superhot (recommended) needs a lot more space, but that game will use your moves. I expect Farpoint will also get a bunch of recommendations but that one really needs the Aim controller. I think it's also playable on dualshock.

For update, I guess you mean RE7 update? The base game is VR compatible, so any updates will be optional.

There are also some (again optional) set up things for VR, stuff like camera position and eye to eye distance. It's recommended to go through those to get the best experience.

Personally I'd recommend Thumper and Rigs (free on PS+ this month). Both are best played sitting down with a controller.

Woah, thanks!

I'll post impressions on wednesday as soon as I try this puppy.

Sparc looks awesome, does it have online? And Rigs, does it have a healthy online community?

MattAces

Woah, thanks!

I'll post impressions on wednesday as soon as I try this puppy.

Sparc looks awesome, does it have online? And Rigs, does it have a healthy online community?

SPARC is primarily online only (I never get to play it but it's overwhelmingly well received).
And Rigs? Hopefully. It was dead for awhile, but since it's on PS+ now, things might change because it's a really great game.

gunstarhero

I think the difference is Rigs and Battlezone are vehicle shooters, makes more sense to have that kind of control system.

Well yes, but with RIGS you are controlling your character wearing a mech suit, so I'm not sure I see the difference between that and controlling a person.

It's been a while since I played both, so I could be remembering the controls wrong.

tr00per

Finished Arkham VR last night. It really is a must buy. It's also a great showcase game It has two of my favorite VR moments ever.
Being batman and the entire ending

The presentation is top notch. One of (if not THE best looking psvr titles. They managed to nail close up characters without sacrificing fidelity or being too Uncanny Valley. The 3D sound is utilized well. The controls are simple and intuitive. The tracking is pretty good. It's all there. I had a friend who tried a few games (even including Farpoint) and was only really blown away by this game.

However, it is short. But honestly it's still worth full price. Plus there is replay value if you decide to give it another playthrough. Not to mention seeing your friends play through it.

But the ending was the best part. Great use of VR. Minor spoilers:

It was freaky without relying on jump scares.

I love how seamless it was and how you had to keep turning around. How the walls would change. And the final reveal...so eerie.

*chef's kiss* VR Perfection.

It really made my heart ache for Silent Hill (PT?) in VR *cries*

Get it, seriously. You don't even have to be a batman fan. But it helps if you are and especially if you've played the arkham series.

Edit:

Rigs for plus on tues?? That's gonna be great for the community

*Splinter

Well yes, but with RIGS you are controlling your character wearing a mech suit, so I'm not sure I see the difference between that and controlling a person.

It's been a while since I played both, so I could be remembering the controls wrong.
Nah you're right, Rigs controls like any other FPS, the mech suit is just a clever way to reduce motion sickness I think.

Battlezone might be different, don't remember.

I think the difference is the "cockpit" is stationary relative to the player and theoretically helps reduce the chances of motion sickness. Developers are more confident about including free movement in a cockpit game than a regular FPS.

tr00per

From ex-Sony Strategic Content Director Shahid Ahmad.
Chimera Zero VR
DI0yNpzXcAAVefd.jpg

What is this? No idea.
https://twitter.com/shahidkamal/status/904434319812382720

Oh so that's what he's been working on! I was beginning to wonder if we'd ever hear about it

So, I picked up Rollercoaster Dreams for PSVR when it was on sale. I just got around to trying it yesterday. I was expecting the worst out of it, but was somewhat pleasantly surprised. However, it really makes me want a proper, polished theme park builder. This game shows that PS4/PSVR is capable of it (graphically wise). My main problem with the game is the roller coaster designing part of it is just not good (at all). It feels like it's straight from the 1990's. The process of riding the rides is actually satisfying (though there is definitely room for improvement in that department). I didn't mind needing to "buy" tickets to ride the rides, though it would be nice to have an option to not have tickets. Now, I don't expect a properly made theme park game to have the graphics of, say, Planet Coaster or NoLimits 2 (which does have VR support on PC), but a little more polish and modernization and Rollercoaster Dreams would be an amazing game. I feel like the $6 I spent on it was definitely worth it. At it's normal $20, I'm not so sure it would've been.

So, I picked up Rollercoaster Dreams for PSVR when it was on sale.
I didn't mind needing to "buy" tickets to ride the rides, though it would be nice to have an option to not have tickets.

Been waiting on impressions of this game.

But what exactly do you mean by "buy tickets"? Tell me it doesn't use micro-transactions to ride coasters you've built.

Been waiting on impressions of this game.

But what exactly do you mean by "buy tickets"? Tell me it doesn't use micro-transactions to ride coasters you've built.

No (well, maybe no). When you build a park, you need to install ticket booths for guests (AI and actual players)) to buy tickets at. When you visit a park, the game gives you an "allowance" to purchase tickets. I've never needed to use all the money on tickets, so I don't know what happens if you run of out money. If I were to guess, if you used up all the money, you'd simply need to quit the park you were in and reload it. It's really dumb.

MattAces

https://www.facebook.com/gamestormvr/
*** Official Gamestorm VR Game Announcement! ***
Gamestorm VR, the team behind the critically acclaimed "SteamHammerVR", can proudly announce that development has started on "16 Bit Fighter VR" - the first arcade fighting game created from the ground up for VR.
"16 Bit Fighter VR" will take players back to the day-glow days of the 1990s with first-person martial arts action for the three major virtual reality headsets - HTC Vive, Oculus Rift and Playstation VR.
Stay tuned for more information and updates.
21231156_1830698606958391_7669392796633453731_n.jpg

*** Official Gamestorm VR Game Announcement! ***
Gamestorm VR, the team behind the critically acclaimed "SteamHammerVR", can proudly announce that development has started their first budget title - "The Corridors of Convergence".
"The Corridors of Convergence" is a maze exploration adventure game for the three major virtual reality headsets - HTC Vive, Oculus Rift and Playstation VR.
Stay tuned for more information and updates.
21270900_1830767550284830_1699608878676036904_n.jpg

Anarion07

I got Superhot on saturday and played it with my best friend.

Goddamn that game is amazing.

I did have some tracking issues though, because my camera isn't placed well for standing experience.

Do any of you have an OLED TV and have a method to placing the camera on top of it?
I don't wanna involve tape or anything on that thing.

*Splinter

I got Superhot on saturday and played it with my best friend.

Goddamn that game is amazing.

I did have some tracking issues though, because my camera isn't placed well for standing experience.

Do any of you have an OLED TV and have a method to placing the camera on top of it?
I don't wanna involve tape or anything on that thing.
Depending on your setup it might be worth considering that you don't necessarily have to be facing your TV, just the camera.

Taker666

Are there any swordfighting / lightsaber style PSVR games announced (aside from Reborn: A Samurai Awakens )?

I loved swinging Ra's sword around in Arkham VR and always enjoyed the on-rails sword fighting duels in Wii Sports Resort.

I'm kind of surprised at the lack of games that use melee weapons in any meaningful way.

Are there any swordfighting / lightsaber style PSVR games announced (aside from Reborn: A Samurai Awakens )?

I loved swinging Ra's sword around in Arkham VR and always enjoyed the on-rails sword fighting duels in Wii Sports Resort.

I'm kind of surprised at the lack of games that use melee weapons in any meaningful way.

Golem has sword fighting but I think it didn't come across very well when it was demoed last. The problem often mentioned is if they block your strike in the game nothing actually stops the motion of your sword / move control in RL. I don't know how sports resort worked in this regard, but the Sports Champions games were pretty good from what I remember with the sword and shield combo - I think Skyrim showed sword fighting in VR actually (but isn't the combat generally regarded as the worst thing in Skyrim?) but I've not heard how that went down.

Mosse

Neo Member

Have you tried fruit ninja vr? The tracking is great and it's really fun. It's a bit light on content and could have used some more modes or a lower price, otherwise it's really good and my favourit use of melee weapon in vr

Apart from Fruit Ninja nope. I really would like Sairento to come to psvr.

Taker666

Golem has sword fighting but I think it didn't come across very well when it was demoed last. The problem often mentioned is if they block your strike in the game nothing actually stops the motion of your sword / move control in RL. I don't know how sports resort worked in this regard, but the Sports Champions games were pretty good from what I remember with the sword and shield combo - I think Skyrim showed sword fighting in VR actually (but isn't the combat generally regarded as the worst thing in Skyrim?) but I've not heard how that went down.

I can't honestly remember exactly how Wii Sports Resort worked...but it seemed fine to me when playing (outside of tracking issues).

Taker666

Have you tried fruit ninja vr? The tracking is great and it's really fun. It's a bit light on content and could have used some more modes or a lower price, otherwise it's really good and my favourit use of melee weapon in vr

I'll pick it up when the price is right...but I was really hoping for some 1 on 1 combat. Acually it's surprising more games don't at least go the Fruit Ninja route. I'm sure plenty of people would like to carve up waves of Zombies, flying creatures with a sword... every bit as much as chunks of fruits.

Actually..thinking in regards to 1 on 1 combat.. it seems pretty bizarre that we've yet to see a PSVR boxing game.

Same. I really liked the atmosphere of the demo, though I couldn't score/win to save my life. I suspect I'm going to get utterly spanked by the field of RIGS veterans, but whatever, it's free!
The single player season mode is fun too if you want to learn the game by playing against bots

Synth

I can't honestly remember exactly how Wii Sports Resort worked...but it seemed fine to me when playing (outside of tracking issues).

For games like Sports Champions and Wii Sports, it's not really the same issue. The weapon is already abstracted from the controls due to it appearing on the TV rather than where your hand actually is, so it not being affected correctly by forces doesn't make much difference because the illusion of it being in your hand was never really there. It's a different matter entirely in VR, where even recoil on a gun can feel off when compared to where you know your hand actually is.

Anyone try Atomic Ghost Fleet, or Coco's Shark Island?

They're 360 degree videos from undersea locations, which my girlfriend would love. Just wondered if they're actually much cop. Both from Alchemy VR Ltd

shaneo632

Anyone try Atomic Ghost Fleet, or Coco's Shark Island?

They're 360 degree videos from undersea locations, which my girlfriend would love. Just wondered if they're actually much cop. Both from Alchemy VR Ltd

I would give a miss to be honest. The video quality is pretty low.

I would give a miss to be honest. The video quality is pretty low.

Thanks, have avoided. This was my concern, I've found 360 content from the internet pretty disappointing in how blurry it is, so I thought maybe a purchased piece of content might offer more. Ho hum, thanks again

shaneo632

Just played an hour of RIGS. Definitely one of the best-looking PSVR games so far. The feeling of presence is really cool, and they've put a lot of effort into the commentary/voice work.

Tutorial is very long-winded given the game's general simplicity and I wish getting into a match/respawning didn't take so long (the pre-match preambles need to be skippable), but the minute-to-minute gameplay is really enjoyable.

I got my ass KICKED online though.

Probably not a game I'll play obsessively but easy to jump into for 30 minutes every now and then. Very happy they bundled this "free" with PS+.

gogojira

I just found a Farpoint Bundle at my local Best Buy so I jumped on it. When I checked out it rang up for $63.99. It's unopened. Not sure why it's discounted, maybe it's been marked as out of stock or something?

I just found a Farpoint Bundle at my local Best Buy so I jumped on it. When I checked out it rang up for $63.99. It's unopened. Not sure why it's discounted, maybe it's been marked as out of stock or something?

Gamer Club Unlocked? It's still considered a game, not hardware.

gogojira

Don't feel too bad. It's a great deal!

Yeah, I was getting it regardless because I know these things are at least a little hard to come by and I really want to try out the Aim controller. When it rang up for $63.99 I was like "well al-fucking-right then!," lol. Excited to try it out tonight, I just need to look up a list of games that support it.

Top Bottom