• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

MattAces

Today the traditional awards ceremony for CEDEC 2017 (Computer Entertainment Developers Conference 2017) was held at the Pacifico Yokohama Hotel in Japan.
CEDEC is basically the Japanese equipment of the Game Developers Conference in the United States.
The Engineering Award was won by PlayStation VR for offering a low-cost and high-performance VR solution, and promoting the popularization of virtual reality content.
http://www.dualshockers.com/playstation-vr-legend-zelda-breath-wild-nier-automata-win-cedec-awards/

Any impressions on SPARC from GAF?

Only played for about 30 mins earlier but really enjoyed it, I'm hopeful it picks up a audience and maintains a online presence

It's really cool seeing other players and 'interacting' with them which I've not done a lot of in VR

The sport itself is really solid, my only complaint would be a lack of offline mode which would help if the player base dies but as of right now I would rather all the players are funnelled online anyway

It's alao a great workout for what it's worth!

Played a ton more Sparc and have to say it's fantastic

I'm already head over heels in terms of psvr but this is just another game that proves how good VR can be and how it can provide different kinds of experiences you wouldn't normally get

wilflare

decided to buy the PowerA Storage Case to safely store my HMD when it's not in use.
any of you using such cases or the PowerA Charge Stand?

by the way, anyone tried both PS Cameras? does the design of the newer release help in any way?

Played a ton more Sparc and have to say it's fantastic

I'm already head over heels in terms of psvr but this is just another game that proves how good VR can be and how it can provide different kinds of experiences you wouldn't normally get

Its next on my list (as well as obduction when it gets updated and the solus project) just don't really have much time for gaming at the moment but everything I have read seems to be positive. They should really look at incorporating something like FIFA's skill games to broaden the single player aspect though.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
We knew about this game already, but finally an official announcement.
Preta: Vendetta Rising

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZA5aqeAZY

For real though, why is it that every Korea/China produced game has such awful sound quality.
Wish they would spend more effort on making a good trailer, giving a good first impression.

I've played quite a few of these Chinese/Korean VR things that have come out. All of them have decent graphics, but everything else is terrible. The optimization, the art direction, sound engineering and worst of all the actual game design.

I have a feeling that these games are coming out of the art asset outsource farms that are all over Asia. They see the opportunity to just cobble together a bunch of decent looking art assets that look good in screenshots to make a quick buck off of people who are starved for VR content.

Their lack of actual game development talent and resources outside of art production is pretty obvious.

This crap on top of the endless F rate wave shooters that show up in multiples every day on Steam is really saturating the early VR market with tons of crap making it very difficult for the uninformed to seperate the wheat from the chaff. It's very disappointing... hopefully we can somehow put some better curation against it.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
The game is razor sharp on the Pro!
Bound is by far one of the best looking games on PSVR+Pro hands down...like zero aliasing. And the animations/blending, oh my god those beautiful movements. I loved every minute of my Bound playthrough; did it all in VR too. Just what a beautiful game.

Still skeptical about Sony allowing early access. I'm in if it's really coming this soon.
Also we have to purchase game from their site, will they actually provide PSN key? If so they are the first ever case to do it.

Actually, it wouldn't be the first time a developer provided keys for early access via website, Atom Universe comes to mind. Also, most devs provide keys for people to join closed alphas/beta, so technically they could do that and be called "early access".

shmoglish

Yesterday I started Vr for the first time in about six months to show it my girlfriend (goddamn, could have made a great The Kitchen reactionsvideo). Any cool games released in the lst half year?

MattAces

Actually, it wouldn't be the first time a developer provided keys for early access via website, Atom Universe comes to mind. Also, most devs provide keys for people to join closed alphas/beta, so technically they could do that and be called "early access".

Yea that's a great point. Every sony f2p games used to do it too, just that they are free. Seems fair though, early pledge with a few extra perks and plus Aim support in game. The game will be f2p at launch but $10 seems fair.

Yesterday I started Vr for the first time in about six months to show it my girlfriend (goddamn, could have made a great The Kitchen reactionsvideo). Any cool games released in the lst half year?

We've had a ton of games.

SuperHot VR, Fantastic Contraption, Farpoint, Dick Wilde, Statik, Arizona Sunshine, Archangel, Dino Frontier, Korix, Dirt Rally VR DLC, Mortal Blitz, Polybius, Paranormal Activity. Resident Evil 7, Star Trek Bridge Crew, Tiny Trax, VR Invaders.......

It's been a great year for PSVR and plenty more coming too.

Nozem

Got to try PS VR for the first time last night, and came away very impressed. I expected significantly more screendoor effect, and more motion-lag. I looked good and felt very fluid. This was on a base PS4.

I tried the shark cage demo, London Heist, a breakout-like tennis game, Luge, and a Star Wars Battlefront X-Wing demo. The coolest moments were picking and playing around with items in London Heist, and flying close to a giant Star Destroyer.

My only previous experience with VR was a clunky setup on a gamescon a few years ago, I think that might have been an early Oculus Rift. VR has come a long way in those few years, I can't imagine what it will be like 20 years from now.

MattAces

Got to try PS VR for the first time last night, and came away very impressed. I expected significantly more screendoor effect, and more motion-lag. I looked good and felt very fluid. This was on a base PS4.

I tried the shark cage demo, London Heist, a breakout-like tennis game, Luge, and a Star Wars Battlefront X-Wing demo. The coolest moments were picking and playing around with items in London Heist, and flying close to a giant Star Destroyer.

My only previous experience with VR was a clunky setup on a gamescon a few years ago, I think that might have been an early Oculus Rift. VR has come a long way in those few years, I can't imagine what it will be like 20 years from now.

Good news is, Luge is among the worst looking PSVR game (sitting beside DriveClub VR) and shark cage, london heist, tennis game are considered as primitive PSVR experience. Most of us would refer them as "generation 1" or launch games.
Later games are the REAL VR experience that you should try. Those with PSMove or Aim controller, Farpoint, Superhot VR or even RE7.

I finished Superhot. What a ride! This is the killer app to show off VR, moreso than RE7 which has the horror thing working against it (for general audiences).

Anyone managed to do the game time challenge in Superhot VR. I have done the real time challenge but I'm not sure what I'm getting wrong with game time. It seems easier but always a second or two out.

Good news is, Luge is among the worst looking PSVR game (sitting beside DriveClub VR) and shark cage, london heist, tennis game are considered as primitive PSVR experience. Most of us would refer them as "generation 1" or launch games.
Later games are the REAL VR experience that you should try. Those with PSMove or Aim controller, Farpoint, Superhot VR or even RE7.

I swear people saying this haven't played much of DC. It has a low resoultion but when you have full particle effects in flow such as cherry blossoms in japan with a sunset or the sparks from fires and autumn leaves on atlantic road with cars all battling it out and headlights illuminating the environment in can look really special. It helps if you know how to get these visuals from playing the base game excessively though. Car details are the best in any VR racing game and that includes PC VR.

I swear people saying this haven't played much of DC. It has a low resoultion but when you have full particle effects in flow such as cherry blossoms in japan with a sunset or the sparks from fires and autumn leaves on atlantic road with cars all battling it out and headlights illuminating the environment in can look really special. It helps if you know how to get these visuals from playing the base game excessively though. Car details are the best in any VR racing game and that includes PC VR.

I'm with you on this one bud :)

bumpkin

I'm with you on this one bud :)
Third'ed. I picked up DC on the cheap from Target and I have really enjoyed it. What it lacks in crispness, it more than makes up for in location variety and little details. I also like the multitude of modes/race types to participate in.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Thumper in VR is something else man. I'm in level 8 now and these faster later levels are more fun than the earlier ones. My only gripe with the game is that it's pretty bad at explaining new mechanics, like the thump after flying. Some they don't mention at all, like how you can still activate beats when you're flying. For the longest time I landed in between spike sections, until I saw on yt you can just stay airborne and time the beat right.

After finishing I'm going back to S rank the early levels but that's going to be it. The later levels seem very tough, because afaik you also need to do extra flying and thumping to get bonus points for the S requirement.

Farpoint with the Aim controller.....wow.

If there was ever a game to show off virtual reality, even tonsomeone who doesn't play first person shooter games, it's that one.

The no-nonsense way to shoot at the hip or aim down the sights is amazing. Everything makes sense.

Imagine playing Destiny 2 this way.

*Splinter

Thumper in VR is something else man. I'm in level 8 now and these faster later levels are more fun than the earlier ones. My only gripe with the game is that it's pretty bad at explaining new mechanics, like the thump after flying. Some they don't mention at all, like how you can still activate beats when you're flying. For the longest time I landed in between spike sections, until I saw on yt you can just stay airborne and time the beat right.

After finishing I'm going back to S rank the early levels but that's going to be it. The later levels seem very tough, because afaik you also need to do extra flying and thumping to get bonus points for the S requirement.
I think some of the earlier levels were the hardest to S rank, since you needed to keep your combo going through multiple sections, whereas for later levels you could get by just doing each section perfectly and returning to checkpoint if you make a mistake.

Different kind of difficulty I guess.

wilflare

had some friends over and we had a blast with PlayroomVR
it was insane!

(now I really can't decide whether to keep the Oculus Rift Touch bundle or not - or just stay/fully invest into PSVR for now)

MattAces

had some friends over and we had a blast with PlayroomVR
it was insane!

(now I really can't decide whether to keep the Oculus Rift Touch bundle or not - or just stay/fully invest into PSVR for now)

Keep it. It's always a bad idea to sell a device when it's still actively getting great games.
I don't have one, but if I have it, I wouldn't sell it when there's so many cool games exclusive or timed exclusive in Rift.

MattAces

What is the next big thing for PSVR?

Tempted to snag a deal on a used one.

Megaton Rainfall, Doom VFR, Skyrim, Raw Data, GT Sport, The Inpatient, Monster of the Deep FFXV, Bravo Team. Ace Combat 7, Gunheart.
Hopefully coming in 2017: Golem, The Persistence, DREAMS

Kyolux

Megaton Rainfall, Doom VFR, Skyrim, Raw Data, GT Sport, The Inpatient, Monster of the Deep FFXV, Bravo Team. Ace Combat 7, Gunheart.
Hopefully coming in 2017: Golem, The Persistence, DREAMS

You forgot Obduction.

edit: Oh Out of ammo. I played a round or two of that about a year ago on the Vive. It was interesting I guess. But I wouldn't buy it.

You forgot Obduction.

edit: Oh Out of ammo. I played a round or two of that about a year ago on the Vive. It was interesting I guess. But I wouldn't buy it.
Wish we know WHEN Obduction's VR patch is aiming to be released.

Similarly, I hope we hear about the release window for Redout PSVR patch. By end of year is nice, but that's still 4 months lol. At least I'll have Radial G to play with in VR.

Finally, I really hope to see Rec Room hit the PSVR this year rather than next. Such an amazing social and gaming experience.

wilflare

really can't wait for my Aim Controller to arrive (heard so many great things about Farpoint)

and Playroom VR really makes me wonder how Mario Party VR could be (but lol... that's another fantasy altogether)

are there any more games like Playroom VR - it makes for a really fun social game with friends

EDIT: anyone using the MDR1000X with the PSVR?

Lokimaru

I was playing Rigs yesterday and the head turning is so dialed in why aren't more VR shooters using this for control? Before playing I go into the training arena and run laps around the ring to get my head back in the game zig-zagging in between the posts and it's flawless. I can turn on a dime with head control and I play way better then I ever have with sticks.

MattAces

From ex-Sony Strategic Content Director Shahid Ahmad.
Chimera Zero VR
DI0yNpzXcAAVefd.jpg

What is this? No idea.
https://twitter.com/shahidkamal/status/904434319812382720

After completing many games in PSVR, Resident Evil 7 being the best, Then closely followed by Farpoint, I have to give my 3rd best to now Arizona Sunshine..... Me and my friend are near the end and just dont want it to end. The immersion you get seeing each other close up with seeing there movements is just a different level then when we play Dying Light together.

People may not get VR, But for these first year iteration of games we have got i have been blown away and while others are looking forward to Destiny 2, Battlefront 2 and the like.... I can't help but feel they are a step back.

The whole 4K/HDR ultra graphics chase is nice, I just prefer the immersion VR gives.

gunstarhero

I was playing Rigs yesterday and the head turning is so dialed in why aren't more VR shooters using this for control? Before playing I go into the training arena and run laps around the ring to get my head back in the game zig-zagging in between the posts and it's flawless. I can turn on a dime with head control and I play way better then I ever have with sticks.

I agree - I'll never understand why other devs use this control scheme. Rigs and BattleZone nailed it out of the gate, yet we keep getting more shooters with static and warping controls. I'm looking at you Doom VR...

I agree - I'll never understand why other devs use this control scheme. Rigs and BattleZone nailed it out of the gate, yet we keep getting more shooters with static and warping controls. I'm looking at you Doom VR...

I think the difference is Rigs and Battlezone are vehicle shooters, makes more sense to have that kind of control system.

Top Bottom