• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

So I have a good deal of gamestop credit and am thinking of getting a psvr tomorrow. Should I get it (instead of say, an oculus) and what are the best games? Star trek is a no Brainer for me but other than that I'm somewhat clueless.

vesp

So I have a good deal of gamestop credit and am thinking of getting a psvr tomorrow. Should I get it (instead of say, an oculus) and what are the best games? Star trek is a no Brainerd for me FL but other than that I'm somewhat clueless.

Farpoint with the aim controller is really impressive. Other favorites have been Rez, thumper, superhot, and tethered.

shmoglish

So I have a good deal of gamestop credit and am thinking of getting a psvr tomorrow. Should I get it (instead of say, an oculus) and what are the best games? Star trek is a no Brainer for me but other than that I'm somewhat clueless.

Farpoint with the aim controller is really impressive. Other favorites have been Rez, thumper, superhot, and tethered.
Those two, its your duty. I didnt buy rez yet, but I think it is also a must play game. Resident Evil 7 is also a great game, but it may be better to wait for the gold edition (afaik most but not all of the dlc support vr). Tumble Vr and Until Dawn are great, too.

Edit: Oh and Batman of course.

bumpkin

All of the above are excellent. Resident Evil 7 in VR is amazing too. I also really like Dirt Rally, bearing in mind its got a steep learning curve. Wayward Sky is charming and enjoyable (but simple). Batman is awesome, as long as you have two Move controllers, same prerequisite for Rush of Blood too. And Playroom VR is rad and I think will automatically queue/download when you install the headset.

MattAces

Most people like to focus on recommending bigger titles :(
Smaller title deserve some attention.
Statik, Dick Wilde, Bound are fantastic.

Also PS Blog US just published a 100+ PSVR titles post.
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/09/30/playstation-vr-update-100-games-and-counting/

MattAces

Is eagleflight worth $10?

Yes. The MP is completely dead, I never had the chance to play it, but the base game is pretty packed with content. Huge open world with collectibles and a variety of fun mission. Some dislike the blinders, which can't be disabled, but it didn't affect my experience a lot.

Joystick

The Exorcist: Legion VR experience launching this Fall.

AN EPISODIC ADVENTURE IN TERROR.

This episodic horror adventure will allow users to actively participate in a variety of increasingly disturbing exorcisms as the plot unfolds across five unique chapters. We take you around the globe as you discover multiple tools to use in your encounters with ancient supernatural entities.

Chapters 1 & 2 will launch simultaneously this Fall on all major headsets, with three additional chapters following closely behind. "Playtime" for each chapter will vary, but the average is approximately 20-25 minutes. Honestly, it's about all you'll be able to endure. Up until release we'll be unveiling several tidbits which make The Exorcist: Legion VR experience so unique, and so utterly terrifying.

https://youtu.be/3tONgF7QsIc

https://www.exorcistlegion.com/psvr

https://twitter.com/ExorcistVR/status/913933291463380992

Planet

Chernobyl VR Project has been released.
I wonder what became of those scenes they hinted at in the announcement trailer with the girl, the ghost and guns?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=reIzoNE9WcE&t=3m45s

(At 3:45 in case that starts at the beginning) None of the reviews mentioned anything else than photos, guided video tours and lone wandering. No one said anything about any fiction.

I'm just curious, it's all about missed gameplay opportunities. Definitely not that I wanted to see more of that smoking hot girl, no! XD

MattAces

So apparently Korean kids are extremely rich. This is not the first time I've seen this.
Fans buying PS4 Pro + PSVR set for the famous idols.
This is TaeYeon from SNSD playing Farpoint.
Rich gets richer :(
Also I like how Motor Racing 4 is in too.

DLC4Q31UQAAMuSC.jpg

DLC4Q31UEAAyAna.jpg
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/v...=59D2C6E9&oh=2ad15ea4e700b6dc33431d89cc45cd2e

MattAces

Wraith dev, SinnStudio is working on a new game, a bigger game.
Their game Wraith is in certification process, their next game is planned for reveal in a month or two.
It's a Move support and they are actively working on Aim support too.
Early render of the idea.
game-2.png

The game is sniper-oriented and takes place in a full-scale, modern-day city.
Most of the game is set on roof-tops or places from where sniping is possible, so movement wouldn't work too well even if made possible. During the story mode, you'll be transported from spot to spot to complete missions and advance through it and if you have room-scale you can freely walk around on the roof itself. In the Roam mode, you'll be able to teleport to pretty much any building or structure you like and use that as a new vantage point.
The only time you're not on a roof-top is towards the end, where our final sequence occurs. This is a fast-paced action sequence that differs vastly from the rest of the game - can't wait to share more on that with you guys some time soon.
Keep in mind that even though we offer a full story-mode, a roam mode and a highly diverse city environment, the game will still only be between $15-20 - unlike other story-oriented games that sell for $35-45 or more.
2017-10-01 | We're currently wrapping up the civilian AI system. Very diverse conversation / walking animations that change every time you play the game or any given mission along with pedestrian positions/locations, and more. Based on what you do in-game, the civilians will react accordingly. They all have a certain chance of cowering on the ground or running away and they're all physics-based so killing them in our Roam mode may prove to be fun.

ffvorax

Ok this weekend I played a lot of Rigs and started Farpoint.

I finally got to understand how to play Rigs properly and now it's fun. No motion sickness, I played for 2 hours and I had a lot of fun. All offline, I tried online but after 5 minutes of wait I went back to offline.... great game, I hope i will be able to try the online sooner or later.

Farpoint... the feeling with the Aim is very good, so is the tracking... the problem is the game. I like the story so far, but the game it's too repetitive on locations, enemies, and the level design is bad, it's all on the same direction, no decent covers, you could stay sit playing it actually, and it would be better because is way more difficult/fatigue to stay so many time in the same position, in comparison in SuperhotVR where you move a lot...
So I'm not liking it much, I won't never play a second run for sure... I just beat the first mega boss.
Oh also the graphic on PS4pro I thought it was better, all the games are sharper now that I have a pspro, this one is like going back on the OG PS4.

MattAces

Ok this weekend I played a lot of Rigs and started Farpoint.

I finally got to understand how to play Rigs properly and now it's fun. No motion sickness, I played for 2 hours and I had a lot of fun. All offline, I tried online but after 5 minutes of wait I went back to offline.... great game, I hope i will be able to try the online sooner or later.

Farpoint... the feeling with the Aim is very good, so is the tracking... the problem is the game. I like the story so far, but the game it's too repetitive on locations, enemies, and the level design is bad, it's all on the same direction, no decent covers, you could stay sit playing it actually, and it would be better because is way more difficult/fatigue to stay so many time in the same position, in comparison in SuperhotVR where you move a lot...
So I'm not liking it much, I won't never play a second run for sure... I just beat the first mega boss.
Oh also the graphic on PS4pro I thought it was better, all the games are sharper now that I have a pspro, this one is like going back on the OG PS4.

Consider trying Arizona Sunshine with Aim then.

ffvorax

Consider trying Arizona Sunshine with Aim then.

I bought the Aim also for other games compatible of course, I have these on the PSN wish list for the next months! (and discounts)
I prefer to have all VR games on digital, but the aim is only available with the game right now... :\

Did you liked farpoint?

MattAces

I bought the Aim also for other games compatible of course, I have these on the PSN wish list for the next months! (and discounts)
I prefer to have all VR games on digital, but the aim is only available with the game right now... :\

Did you liked farpoint?

I enjoyed Farpoint challenge mode a lot. But yea, the level is all pure linear walking forward.
I would say Arizona Sunshine might suit your taste more if you're looking for a more open game where you can walk houses to houses and find ammo. It's still a linear experience, but you will be walking in areas finding stuff, and every single level is in a completely different environment.
If you're looking for a game moving around, dodging stuff as much or maybe more than Superhot will be Dick Wilde. Plays perfectly with Aim.

ffvorax

I enjoyed Farpoint challenge mode a lot. But yea, the level is all pure linear walking forward.
I would say Arizona Sunshine might suit your taste more if you're looking for a more open game where you can walk houses to houses and find ammo. It's still a linear experience, but you will be walking in areas finding stuff, and every single level is in a completely different environment.
If you're looking for a game moving around, dodging stuff as much or maybe more than Superhot will be Dick Wilde. Plays perfectly with Aim.

This and Arizona are both on my wishlist, looking forward them when there is a good discount and I have nothing else on play! (I usually play 1 or max 2 games at the same time, + 1 on the PSVITA... a total of 3 games it's enough for me before starting another one)

Also after completing Farpoint I will go back first to SuperhotVR to play the challenges and a bit more of RIGS (I completed my first championship, but I would like to play a bit more, not my genre but it was fun)

Also I'm actually very curious about "The Inpatient", totally different genre... trying not to spoil anything about it, I just like horror and until dawn!

Lokimaru

Arizona Sunshine is too easy with Aim, makes me wonder how the Cops and Military in Zombie movies and games like RE always get over run. 15 rounds, 15 zombies reload and repeat.

MattAces

Arizona Sunshine is too easy with Aim, makes me wonder how the Cops and Military in Zombie movies and games like RE always get over run. 15 rounds, 15 zombies reload and repeat.

Actually yea, I wish they would allow the apocalypse mode thing with Aim.

Apparently a new (Japan-only? Can't find any non-Japanese-language news about this) model is being released on October 14: CUH-ZVR2.

Big changes are apparently:
  • Headphone jack moved to be on the headset itself
  • Cables from the headset to the processor unit have been slimmed down
  • Processor unit now supports HDR passthrough

I'm guessing that since the thing has been out of stock here in Japan pretty much since launch, they decided to give it a few tweaks and updates before rolling out new stock?

Edit: Announced for US too, thread here.

Apparently a new (Japan-only? Can't find any non-Japanese-language news about this) model is being released on October 14: CUH-ZVR2.

Big changes are apparently:
  • Headphone jack moved to be on the headset itself
  • Cables from the headset to the processor unit have been slimmed down
  • Processor unit now supports HDMI passthrough*

I'm guessing that since the thing has been out of stock here in Japan pretty much since launch, they decided to give it a few tweaks and updates before rolling out new stock?

Edit: Announced for US too, thread here.

*HDR passthrough.

I wonder if they have solved the black screen issue with the Pro too.

ffvorax

So is more fun with two moves? I will keep it in mind when I'll buy it, to try both with Aim and Moves...

MattAces

So is more fun with two moves? I will keep it in mind when I'll buy it, to try both with Aim and Moves...

Both are fun. With the new update, Aim is EXTREMELY fun. It's as close as a sniper game you can get. Try to play the entire game with the first gun, it's some sort of hunting rifle, shoot once and kling type if you know what I mean. It's so god damn fun just looking down the scope popping zombie heads.

i had a lot more fun with two moves, enables that John Woo mechanic perfectly when you have to reload and you can fire in two directions or dualwield uzis.

Both modes are viable though. and movement is much better with the Aim.

Joystick

Apparently a new (Japan-only? Can't find any non-Japanese-language news about this) model is being released on October 14.

And new Move controllers that will have micro USB instead of mini USB. I don't know what they mean by "performance" - could just be confusing translation and refer to the USB connection but could be other enhancements.

Regarding the "PlayStation®Move motion controller" (CECH-ZCM 2 J), we will also review some of its performance and plan to release it sequentially as a PS4® exclusive model that changed the connection terminal to USB (Micro B).

https://www.jp.playstation.com/blog/detail/5760/20171002-psvr.html

So When using my PSVR I get this problem occasionally where the picture output to the TV goes wrong. It’s like a double image imposed one over the other, but distorted and flickering.

Powering the VR/PU down and back in again seems to cure it.

It’s not a big deal when I’m playing alone, but it would potentially cause an issue for any asynchronous games.

Anyone else getting this? Should I send in for service? As an early adopter I’m conscious that my warranty is about to expire and don’t want to get stuck with a permanently defective unit.

MattAces

So When using my PSVR I get this problem occasionally where the picture output to the TV goes wrong. It’s like a double image imposed one over the other, but distorted and flickering.

It’s not a big deal when I’m playing alone, but it would potentially cause an issue for any asynchronous games.

Anyone else getting this? Should I send in for service? As an early adopter I’m conscious that my warranty is about to expire and don’t want to get stuck with a permanently defective unit.

Try unplugging and replugging. If this happens too often, send it in. Seems like a loose cable, happened to me once or twice too, and when that happens I will know it because the sound will get cut off/black out on my PSVR. Rare occasion for me, don't remember it happening ever since I got a new PSVR replacement.

I get the occasional black screen that MattAces gets, or sometimes both the PSVR and the TV goes black and doesn't come back on. Unplugging the processor unit for 10 seconds cures the issue but it is irritating when it occurs.

The "PS4-exclusive model" kinda makes it seem like the revision goes deeper than just a USB port change. Here's hoping.

Really need those built in sticks now but after the breakout box news, why do I have a feeling this will be another disappointment and missed opportunity.

Come on Sony surprise me.

Try unplugging and replugging. If this happens too often, send it in. Seems like a loose cable, happened to me once or twice too, and when that happens I will know it because the sound will get cut off/black out on my PSVR. Rare occasion for me, don't remember it happening ever since I got a new PSVR replacement.

I get the occasional black screen that MattAces gets, or sometimes both the PSVR and the TV goes black and doesn't come back on. Unplugging the processor unit for 10 seconds cures the issue but it is irritating when it occurs.

Yeah, forgot to say that little sound drops is the first indicator that there’s an issue onscreen. Sounds like it’s fairly common then, and as we’ve all said, easily fixable. Probably not worth the trouble of trying to return then.

MattAces

Solus Project
https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/73sc2q/solus_project_pro_patch_and_smooth_rotation/
“Hello,
Thank you for getting in touch with us. We are glad that you enjoy the game so far and we apologize for the issues.
We are currently working on a new patch that will include several improvements among them better visuals on PSVR for PS4 Pro and a smooth rotation control option. We are in the process of testing the patch and if everything goes according to plan, we are expecting it to be released in the beginning of the next week.”

Waveset

So PSVR V2 will be coming this month .........
Relieved that it's nothing I would consider major, no need for me to upgrade.

So far so good for PSVR in terms of support and it having legs. A healthy, growing library, now a hardware refresh, its great to see after the initial "Sony will pull a Vita after a few months" talk.

MattAces

Doom Virtually Friendly Reality new screenshots.
For some reason this only appeared in DE PS Blog.
https://blog.de.playstation.com/2017/09/27/doom-vfr-angespielt-immersive-dmonenjagd/

Where is the "DOOM Guy"?

The first surprise in the virtual reality world of DOOM: You do not play the nameless protagonist of the series, commonly known as "DOOM Guy". Instead, you slip into the role of the last human survivor shortly after the demonic invasion of the UAC research facility on Mars. The joy does not last long, for soon you also bite into the grass ... but are saved in an unusual way. Through a strictly secret UAC emergency protocol, your consciousness is transmitted into an artificial brain matrix. Your new task: restore the station's operational capability and stop the onslaught of demons at all costs. And do not forget: Have fun!

Teleport and shotgun

In our demo we wake up in a protected room and can test the movement concept. Instead of splashing through the research station, DOOM VFR, like Skyrim VR, relies on teleportation as a means of transport. With the left move controller you project a target point on the ground to which you teleport when releasing the corresponding key. In addition, you can initiate evasive maneuvers that allow you to complete a set forward, back, left, or right.

Once the movement repertoire has been mastered, it is already going to the weapon depot. You can equip your avatar with a series of giant creaks that are absolutely powerful in VR. You can switch between the various plasma fumes at any time via a gun wheel. With this brief introduction, it is also done and we leave the room ... to be immediately confronted with waves at nasty demons.

The DOOM DNA

Who now thinks that the rapid, brutal gameplay of the series for the VR version was screwed down, is far from it. Surprisingly large demonic hordes with the well-known opponent types run on you, only in order to perish in the plasma fire of your weapon. However, you have to be careful not to be overrun and flashed through the corridors, both with lags and teleports.

A little later, we found ourselves in a cave, where it went on as usual: enemy hunters wanted to be turned off on land or in the air - not infrequently with a brutal finisher. While these moves were triggered in the DOOM reboot from the year 2016 by means of a melee attack, you only have to import yourself into a luminous enemy in DOOM VFR, whereupon it bursts into a bloody cloud.

Pretty great translation, but that part seems a little vague, confirmed smooth movement for PSVR too?

36642155004_5831a67446_o.jpg

36681796523_1f3e2d1177_o.jpg

36681796773_bf58e2f7e9_o.jpg

36642155464_afb0a20c2b_o.jpg

....And SIE Japan increasing the number of PSVR retailers from 394 to 913 stores to help customers get hold of one.

Everything seems to be going on the right direction.

Ogni-XR21

MattAces

Looks great, but I fear they won't add smooth movement to the mix, seems like it's made for teleporation. But here's hoping that it will be an option.

Smooth movement is actually in, at least for the PC version. But this blogpost seem to imply it's in PSVR version too. If anybody can translate this properly it would be great.
Zusätzlich könnt ihr Ausweichmanöver einleiten, die euch einen Satz nach vorne, hinten, links oder rechts vollführen lassen.

Skittles

Top Bottom