• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Ogni-XR21

Smooth movement is actually in, at least for the PC version. But this blogpost seem to imply it's in PSVR version too. If anybody can translate this properly it would be great.

If it's in the PC version it should end up in the PSVR version as well, but with no analog control on move it would have to support DS4 controls (which it probably will as most games do).

Zusätzlich könnt ihr Ausweichmanöver einleiten, die euch einen Satz nach vorne, hinten, links oder rechts vollführen lassen.

Additionally you can start an evasive maneuver which lets you take a leap to the front, back, left and right.

Sounds to me like you can do a quick evasive manuever with the press of a button.

Specs are the same, just improved convenience with cabling, HDR passthrough.

Disappointed that the new HDR-capable processor unit won't work with the existing headset: I'd have upgraded if it was available standalone.

Apparently the cables are different, so upgrading to HDR support would mean getting a new headset.

philm87

Disappointed that the new HDR-capable processor unit won't work with the existing headset: I'd have upgraded if it was available standalone.

Apparently the cables are different, so upgrading to HDR support would mean getting a new headset.

It's only HDR passthrough isn't it? You won't get HDR on the headset.

Bluecondor

Sorry if someone else posted this already, but I didn't see it in the previous few pages. I also posted this in a VR horror thread:

This newly announced Exorcist "experience" sounds amazing:

https://www.roadtovr.com/exorcist-ep...ve-psvr-month/

I like the idea of an Exorcist VR experience involving several episodes (each apparently around 20-25 minutes long). The combination of an immersive story + the inevitable jump scares, etc. give me a lot of hope for this title.

And - there's something about the occult that is just unsettling in terms of horror (as opposed to over-the-top monsters, etc.) that could really be creepy in PSVR.

I am in for the first episode on day one.

Stanng243

I'm conflicted on the upgrade. I might get a good sale on the old one, but the new one is more future proof. Hopefully I can afford one someday.

The streaming details for the PGW Sony event have been added to the EU blog:
link

'Big new game announcements' they say. I'm reading that as G-Police and Colony Wars VR, but it's just possible I'm reading too much into it.

I'll be leaving work early for this, so don't let me down, Sony. Dreams VR blowout and beta date announcement, please...

The streaming details for the PGW Sony event have been added to the EU blog:
link

'Big new game announcements' they say. I'm reading that as G-Police and Colony Wars VR, but it's just possible I'm reading too much into it.

I'll be leaving work early for this, so don't let me down, Sony. Dreams VR blowout and beta date announcement, please...

Your reading skills are.... outstanding!! COLONY WARS for the win!

spectator

Apologies if I've missed this earlier in the thread, but does anyone know if the version of EVE: Valkyrie included in the new Warzone bundle is the same as the previous standalone version? My main concern is whether this new version is still capable of crossplay with PCVR.

So with the new model is 4K passthrough possible or just hdr? I’m confused.

The original model will pass 4k to the TV.
The limitations are that it doesn't support HDR and only supports one of the colour space options (YUV420 instead of RGB, I think).

The new model supports 4k and HDR. No idea on the colour format. To be honest, I'm not 100% on the RGB thing: Maybe someone who knows what they're talking about can chip in.

Guess I'll keep switching HDMI cables. :\

Yes. I just want a solution where I don't need to swap cables.

Yeah, sounds like a pain. I'll probably hang on for this version if it doesn't ramp the price up.

Sure it sucks, but the solution isn't worth a few hundred bucks. Still glad for new owners now, finally.

Switching cables takes me about 8 secs.

There are numerous, inexpensive solutions here to that problem to avoid the wear and tear on your ports.

The original model will pass 4k to the TV.
The limitations are that it doesn't support HDR and only supports one of the colour space options (YUV420 instead of RGB, I think).

The new model supports 4k and HDR. No idea on the colour format. To be honest, I'm not 100% on the RGB thing: Maybe someone who knows what they're talking about can chip in.

Ah ok, now I’m tracking, thanks for clearing that up. I don’t have a 4K set, but a friend does, he purchased a PSVR and returned it because it was causing flickering and black screen on his tv. I’ll pass this info along.

ChouGoku

If you love racing games and don't have a wheel you are doing yourself a disservice. Driveclub is amazing with a wheel, Dirt is fun but much harder with a wheel. Damn I have never bought so many peripherals but VR works so well with them.

those solutions seem pretty hit or miss

It's hard to judge everyones setup requirements from forum posts.

Some people have no issues, some can't get the same hardware working at all.

From my experience, cables matter. On OG PS4(just HDR) I got away with cheap(but short) cables. But upgrading to a Pro(4k + HDR) I had to upgrade all my cables for the same splitter to work.

But I could get away with short cables. My splitter does require access to the power switch to reset it when switching though.

Some people need 20 feet in cables due to their setup. Some people have a home theatre system which adds connections in the chain. Also, from some TV threads, different TVs have simpler HDR configurations than others.

If you have HDR working, and don't have an excessive distance between PS4 and TV, you should definitely be able to get it working.

philm87

If you love racing games and don't have a wheel you are doing yourself a disservice. Driveclub is amazing with a wheel, Dirt is fun but much harder with a wheel. Damn I have never bought so many peripherals but VR works so well with them.

What is a good wheel to get? There seems to be such a massive difference in how much they cost. Pretty sure I'll end up getting a wheel once I get a vr headset.

Nonsense.

They MUST NOT release a new move controller for the current PSVR.

They sure will for the next one.

Yeah I'm with you on this one - Devs have already got to support DS4, Move and Aim if possible, add Move 2 to that as well is gonna makes things even tougher to support, divide the userbase and probably piss people off if they've just got a PSVR and bought moves to go with it.

What is a good wheel to get? There seems to be such a massive difference in how much they cost. Pretty sure I'll end up getting a wheel once I get a vr headset.

price-quality ratio is sky high for the G27, but unless you know your way around electronics and can make your own (dirt cheap, we're talking 10$ here) GIMX adapter, it's not natively supported by the PS4.

G29 is pretty much a PS4-compatible G27 with button layout improvements, it would be my recommendation. But if you can handle somewhat cheaper plastics and less premium feeling in the hand in general, there are cheaper wheels that are still good without going into garbage plastic toy territory.

philm87

price-quality ratio is sky high for the G27, but unless you know your way around electronics and can make your own (dirt cheap, we're talking 10$ here) GIMX adapter, it's not natively supported by the PS4.

G29 is pretty much a PS4-compatible G27 with button layout improvements, it would be my recommendation. But if you can handle somewhat cheaper plastics and less premium feeling in the hand in general, there are cheaper wheels that are still good without going into garbage plastic toy territory.

Thanks. Think I'd be aiming for a bit lower price bracket.

This one looks okay for the price to me:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/RWA-controller-Officially-Licensed-PlayStation/dp/B01K7JEIOC

Yeah I'm with you on this one - Devs have already got to support DS4, Move and Aim if possible, add Move 2 to that as well is gonna makes things even tougher to support, divide the userbase and probably piss people off if they've just got a PSVR and bought moves to go with it.

I am and I'm not. I want proper VR controllers from Sony and I'm happy to wait for them even if this means it is on PSVR2 but having played quite a few games that have full locomotion and full motion control on other systems they need to do something rather than not. Especially as more games releasing are wanting to do both of those.

I'd say it is Sony's biggest misstep with VR especially when supporting cross platform VR games. The Solus Project does very good job but this also results in your left arm being hindered as you use this to get full decent locomotion, it certainly works and I like it but it does have limitations and the gameplay doesn't demand multi limb use. With the moves current form factor there is always going to be a compromise. I would be happy to buy a new set or an add on for my existing moves.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RWA-controller-Officially-Licensed-PlayStation/dp/B01K7JEIOC

Without force feedback you may as well just use the motion control settings on the DS4 and save the cash.

I really wouldn't go that low-end. No force feedback at all, and force feedback is a huge component of the racing wheel experience. I wouldn't go any lower than the Thrustmaster T150, but budget wheels aren't my specialty. You're already spending a bit of money on the PSVR itself, make sure you don't skimp too much on the peripherals or you'll bring the whole experience down.

philm87

I really wouldn't go that low-end. No force feedback at all, and force feedback is a huge component of the racing wheel experience. I wouldn't go any lower than the Thrustmaster T150, but budget wheels aren't my specialty. You're already spending a bit of money on the PSVR itself, make sure you don't skimp too much on the peripherals or you'll bring the whole experience down.

Without force feedback you may as well just use the motion control settings on the DS4 and save the cash.

Fair point. May as well spend a bit extra to get a much better experience. Will treat the T150 as the bottom end then. Planning to invest in a PSVR around Black Friday if there's some good deals about, so imagine there might be some good deals on wheels or bundles including them.

Fair point. May as well spend a bit extra to get a much better experience. Will treat the T150 as the bottom end then. Planning to invest in a PSVR around Black Friday if there's some good deals about, so imagine there might be some good deals on wheels or bundles including them.

You will probably be able to pick up the G29 cheaper than a t150 on black Friday. Even though the G29 is the more expensive wheel when it comes to sales it is usually always cheaper.

MattAces

edit: Nevermind. It was just a misleading photo comparison.
Apparently JP doesn't show PS4 supply. That's a cheeky way to show lesser wires...

Phaenos

So I recently did a deep dive and picked up Dirt Rally VR and a Thrustmaster T300RS with a stand. I've been playing for a few days now and can't emphasize enough how enjoyable playing Dirt is with this setup. The game is challenging and so satisfyingly immersive.

For those who are playing Dirt, I have a question. I feel like I've scoured the visual options for the game completely forwards and backwards and I can't for the life of me figure out how to turn off the "blinders" when your car starts to go anything other than horizontal. My gut handles this game like a champ, and I'm not concerned about feeling sick with overturning at speed. But the blinders are so severe (obscures like ~70% of your vision?) that it makes it impossible to potentially recover from your mistakes. You can barely see anything when it happens.

Am I just missing a setting somewhere? Can this not be disabled?

So I recently did a deep dive and picked up Dirt Rally VR and a Thrustmaster T300RS with a stand. I've been playing for a few days now and can't emphasize enough how enjoyable playing Dirt is with this setup. The game is challenging and so satisfyingly immersive.

For those who are playing Dirt, I have a question. I feel like I've scoured the visual options for the game completely forwards and backwards and I can't for the life of me figure out how to turn off the "blinders" when your car starts to go anything other than horizontal. My gut handles this game like a champ, and I'm not concerned about feeling sick with overturning at speed. But the blinders are so severe (obscures like ~70% of your vision?) that it makes it impossible to potentially recover from your mistakes. You can barely see anything when it happens.

Am I just missing a setting somewhere? Can this not be disabled?
Sadly, the blinders/comfort settings can't be turned off. I really wish they could. I have an iron stomach and never get VR sickness so it's a bummer.

Ogni-XR21

After watching some Youtube video on the Chernobyl VR "thing" (played on OR) I decided to give it a try, after all it's only 10€. Biggest VR regret for me to date. I honestly did not expect much and was still let down.

On the OR build I had watched you could at least walk through some of the sites, but on PSVR you can only telelport, and it's only snap-turning too. There is no way to change any of this in the settings.

Out of the 13 locations only 5 have real 3D environments while the rest is usually a 360° pic or video of bad quality. While I could tell from the youtube video I watched that the 360° video quality is not very good, the lack of free movement and only snap turning in the few 3D rendered locations is the biggest turn off for me.

ChouGoku

I got the Thrustmaster T150, it is pretty solid however the pedals are kind of cheap. Not much of a big deal to me.

Top Bottom