• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

I booted it up for the first time with the patch, so I had no idea that was a new feature. I don't even honestly know how I could have played it without that rotation lol

My biggest complaint about the game is that it seems like it struggles sometimes, performance-wise. Like in the level select menu and in some levels, I think the game starts going to a really low framerate and reprojecting.

Are games allowed to do 45fps to 90fps reprojection on psvr? I've never played a psvr game with as much jitter and ghosting as this game when the performance falters.

lol fair enough, yeah you had to exit out the level and go to the settings to change the view before the patch, very weird choice but glad they fixed it.

Never noticed performance issues when I last played it to be honest, always felt ok to me, playing on Pro though.

Are you on standard PS4 or Pro ? Maybe that could make a difference. I think all games have to be 60fps minimum.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I wont lie, as PC VR dude I was really skeptical that PSVR could be good. So glad people are enjoying it! I hope sony looks at inside out tracking or a lighthouse like system for roomscale in PSVR2. Yall will LOVE full roomscale :D. It works well even in tiny play areas!

ffvorax

I wont lie, as PC VR dude I was really skeptical that PSVR could be good. So glad people are enjoying it! I hope sony looks at inside out tracking or a lighthouse like system for roomscale in PSVR2. Yall will LOVE full roomscale :D. It works well even in tiny play areas!

For sure Sony will change the tracking, they used this one to keep costs low because they already had the technology mostly ready...

Roomscale... personally is not much about the "space", but the fact that I should put a camera on the back... even if wireless I would have no idea of where to put it, and I don't want it to be too invasive... the front camera is already invasive enough.

Ok guys updated the thread a bit, added the link to released psvr games up top so its the first thing newbies see. Added both versions of the PSVR headset so people see the differences. Updated the link to the Ultimate Q&A blog post that was expired and I also reduced useless characters that used up space. Im here for the long haul guys so hope we can still be a community and ignore outside matters.

GeoramA

Tried PSVR (VR in general) for the first time on Sunday. It's incredible. Played Arizona Sunshine, Job Simulator, RE7, and PSVR Worlds.

Hunting for deals right now. All I need is a headset, already got the camera and the moves.

bumpkin

Glad to see the thread back up and running, I spend so much time in here it was weird being without it.
Same here. I was torn about whether to come back given the scandal surrounding the downtime, but I'm not gonna lie, I was lost without this forum. This thread has been my go-to for rapping with fellow PSVR lovers, and this forum has been my go-to for gaming news for what seems like forever.

Glad to see some of you back, too!

Felensis

Banned
Ok guys updated the thread a bit, added the link to released psvr games up top so its the first thing newbies see. Added both versions of the PSVR headset so people see the differences. Updated the link to the Ultimate Q&A blog post that was expired and I also reduced useless characters that used up space. Im here for the long haul guys so hope we can still be a community and ignore outside matters.

Awesome, thanks!

Zigroid

Neo Member
Im here for the long haul guys so hope we can still be a community and ignore outside matters.
Thanks! I’m pretty new to PSVR and console games in general, and this is the best PSVR resource I’ve found. I can’t contribute much but I can learn a lot, and I’m glad you’re sticking around. Maybe as I learn more I’ll be able to contribute more, but in the meantime I like lurking and learning. :)

Same here. I was torn about whether to come back given the scandal surrounding the downtime, but I'm not gonna lie, I was lost without this forum. This thread has been my go-to for rapping with fellow PSVR lovers, and this forum has been my go-to for gaming news for what seems like forever.

It just seems bad to lose so many good people's hard work and all the communities that grow around OT's all for 1 persons alleged misdeeds. The damage has been done now but hopefully our little corner of the net will persist, it's not like we've had much need for moderators in here anyway.

PSVR love is real just like this thread.

As bad as the feedback has been about Skyrim VR, I'll probably still get it due to it being god damn Skyrim in VR!

Bloody Zombies is a great title, Me and few friends playing it in VR is surreal, Looking forward to Inpatient as there's nothing quite like horror in VR.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm hoping the Move implementation in Skyrim isn't a big letdown. I'd be a lot less excited to play Skyrim on a regular controller again, but as long as their VR implementation is solid, that does still add a lot.

majik13

Ok, finally played Megaton Rainfall a couple nights ago. Incredible experience, and super janky as well. But still amazing.

Controls very well, and feels very interactive.

I just constantly think of the potential, if this tech and ideas keeps being iterated on, especially with a team of more than 1 person and a big budget, and with more powerful HW, could be insane. Like they could do a pretty nutty, DBZ like game with this tech, and allow 2 or more players sort of fight each other, and destroy cities in the process.

Anyways, Ive noticed some visual bugs in this game that Ive never seen in any other game, mainly to do with each eye not showing the same image like,
-1 eye has debris falling, but totally non existent in the other.
-1 eye has that sort of ghosting trail effect of a certain object(like you see when cars and people move) but doesnt have the actual object in that eye, just the trail, while the other eye has the solid object, but no ghost trail/blur.
-even discrepancies in the texture between the 2 eyes.

Also what is up with every time I want to use the megaton Blast or whatever it is, I fire it at a city block to witness all the destruction, and it warps me to the center of the blast, or close to it, and locks me there, where I cant move or rotate my view, and it goes into slow motion, totally ruins the effect. I feel the first time I used it, it didnt do this, but now it does every time.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Grinchy said:
Are games allowed to do 45fps to 90fps reprojection on psvr?
No - 60 is the minimum allowed framerate. 45->90(or even 120) doesn't actually look too bad IME(and it's fine for most people, given the response to E3 demos that ran around that FPS), but the low-framerate is noticeable to the point of detracting from "presence" considerably.

Note that ghosting/jitter has many potential sources unrelated to framerate. I've seen a fair share of instances of bad implementations of temporal reconstruction and temporal AA - a number of Unreal titles tend to be pretty bad, as well as almost the entire VR Worlds disc (the only exception that wasn't a jittery-pixelated mess everytime reconstruction fails is Danger Ball).
Headlocked elements can also cause trouble (menus, but also anything in 3d that is "linked" to head-motion) - you need special handling when reprojecting from 60 to avoid ghosting/jitter.
There's also potential of mishandling tracking data(begs the question how the title got past Sony QA), or tracking drops - the latter I've seen happen on some titles that don't drop render-frames.

philm87

I'm hoping the Move implementation in Skyrim isn't a big letdown. I'd be a lot less excited to play Skyrim on a regular controller again, but as long as their VR implementation is solid, that does still add a lot.

Yeah hoping swinging with the move controller doesn't just activate the standard animation. If it's proper tracking then it could be incredible. Have to use teleportation if you're using the Moves though.

Joystick

Tried PSVR (VR in general) for the first time on Sunday. It's incredible. Played Arizona Sunshine, Job Simulator, RE7, and PSVR Worlds.

Great stuff! There is a new model headset coming out soon - only wait for that if you need HDR passthrough, otherwise I don't think it's worth the wait and there are some good deals around now. Costco has a cheap bundle with Gran Turismo Sport and other retailers should have some bundles too. Check back in this thread a few pages.

Check out this video from PS Access:

7 Essential Things To Do In PlayStation VR - Right Now!
https://youtu.be/mOv-T9t4tp8

Grinchy

Banned
No - 60 is the minimum allowed framerate. 45->90(or even 120) doesn't actually look too bad IME(and it's fine for most people, given the response to E3 demos that ran around that FPS), but the low-framerate is noticeable to the point of detracting from "presence" considerably.

Note that ghosting/jitter has many potential sources unrelated to framerate. I've seen a fair share of instances of bad implementations of temporal reconstruction and temporal AA - a number of Unreal titles tend to be pretty bad, as well as almost the entire VR Worlds disc (the only exception that wasn't a jittery-pixelated mess everytime reconstruction fails is Danger Ball).
Headlocked elements can also cause trouble (menus, but also anything in 3d that is "linked" to head-motion) - you need special handling when reprojecting from 60 to avoid ghosting/jitter.
There's also potential of mishandling tracking data(begs the question how the title got past Sony QA), or tracking drops - the latter I've seen happen on some titles that don't drop render-frames.

Interesting. This game is built on Unity, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I've just not noticed the jittery/ghosting problem like this before and it's so noticeable in Fantastic Contraption. It's quite bad on the regular PS4, but I noticed it on the Pro as well.

I don't know how other people don't see it immediately, especially in the level select menu. It also surprises me because I kept reading that this game is one of the 120fps native PSVR games.

Put some time in on GT Sport VR mode tonight and I'm really impressed. Content is lacking of course and the opposition are so slow they might as well not be there but the actual driving in those cars is brilliant. I can't for the life of me understand why there's no timing leaderboards on there, as I've found manually noting the times are seeing how different cars do so addictive. Here's hoping they deliver a good patch soon and flesh it out (circuit experience should be in VR too, it's perfect for it).

Burglekutt

Put some time in on GT Sport VR mode tonight and I'm really impressed. Content is lacking of course and the opposition are so slow they might as well not be there but the actual driving in those cars is brilliant. I can't for the life of me understand why there's no timing leaderboards on there, as I've found manually noting the times are seeing how different cars do so addictive. Here's hoping they deliver a good patch soon and flesh it out (circuit experience should be in VR too, it's perfect for it).

I just rented it and thats the exact same way I feel about it. Hopefully they can add in more VR content at some point. Now Im going to have to give Drive Club VR a real shot because im itching for more VR driving.

Justified

Im not in the PSVR Discord yet, so Ill ask here until we are up ....elsewhere.

I got an email that The Rec Room Beta is merging servers and pretty much opening up everything. Is the no streaming rule still in effect? I was thinking about jumping in this evening.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

I've had renewed interest in PSVR since the big VR game sale and my local Best Buy finally getting the Aim controller in stock recently. But right now I'm just working on an exit strategy.

I've had renewed interest in PSVR since the big VR game sale and my local Best Buy finally getting the Aim controller in stock recently. But right now I'm just working on an exit strategy.

You could just use adblock and not give the man money and still visit this page in incognito mode if it helps.

Would also welcome an invite to a discord. My ID is Optimus Primed#3391. Recently got quite a few games added to the backlog that me and the kids are starting to go through. Would love to share impressions with people and maybe even play online with people from here. I'm even thinking of streaming, but I'm not sure how that works with the headset. I guess you can't use the camera for an external view?

Anyway, the PSVR subreddit isn't bad, but it's not the same thing. Hope to see you all again.

Newk86

The first (and last) VR game that I have played and finished was Resident Evil 7 earlier this year. After I've finished Bravely Default on 3DS, which I'm currently near the end of, I've decided that I'm going to play Solus Project next.

Just wanted to say that I look forward to posting my thoughts on it in this thread, I'm not leaving or swapping forums and I don't even know WTF Discord even is or is supposed to be. Can't wait to see how Skyrim VR turns out soon too and read some impressions. Cheers.

fbutron

The first (and last) VR game that I have played and finished is Resident Evil 7 earlier this year. After I've finished Bravely Default on 3DS, which I'm currently near the end of, I've decided that I'm going to play Solus Project next.

Just wanted to say that I look forward to posting my thoughts on it in this thread, I'm not leaving or swapping forums and I don't even know WTF Discord even is or is supposed to be. Can't wait to see how Skyrim VR turns out soon too and read some impressions. Cheers.
Cheers the post will continue cant wait to put impressions on GT and the impatient

Didn't know there was a discord?! Someone shoot me an invite too please

I think all these discords with GAF members are on lockdown - as they are verifying members for the transition to resetera.

There should be a regular register process (probably much like GAF, requiring a private email account to join.) soon after the website is up and running.

After the transition is made, these discords should be public again. So you can post here, post at resetera, and or post on the discords. It's up to you.

Kyolux

I think all these discords with GAF members are on lockdown - as they are verifying members for the transition to resetera.

There should be a regular register process (probably much like GAF, requiring a private email account to join.) soon after the website is up and running.

After the transition is made, these discords should be public again. So you can post here, post at resetera, and or post on the discords. It's up to you.

I can confirm all of this. We're on lockdown. We'll get everyone interested in joining the discord once the transition is done. No timeline for now as there's already been a few delays. Sorry.

For now anyone that wants to get into the Discord, you can send me a PM and I'll notify you when it's opened up again. (including your discord username and ID# would be useful too.)

tr00per

Sangetsu doing the lord's work. I hope everyone will stay on the psn community at least

I'm hoping more Aim controllers are on the way. Need me one of those! Glad to see the thread is back too.

The Bravo Team bundle atleast should replace the Farpoint set soon.

Can't wait to give it some more playtime, also dät Doom VFR Aim support :p~~

I started an interesting project, 3D printing a real life size Aliens Pulserifle, then ripping the insides of the Aim Controller out and installing it to the Pulse...
pulse.jpg

philm87

The Bravo Team bundle atleast should replace the Farpoint set soon.

Can't wait to give it some more playtime, also dät Doom VFR Aim support :p~~

I started an interesting project, 3D printing a real life size Aliens Pulserifle, then ripping the insides of the Aim Controller out and installing it to the Pulse...
pulse.jpg

Just awesome. Hope it goes well. Keep us updated.

gmoran

~

Ditto, looks amazing, hope it works out, and; if it does I'd be interested to know what it feels to play with in comparison: Aim may look tame, but it was designed to "disappear" so that it could be any aim-y device.

valeu

i'm not sure if this is pathetic or awesome. maybe both. but last year a had a goal to learn how to fly a kite because tons of kids fly kites every weekend on my street. kite-flying is big in rio. anyway, long story short, i didn't learn to fly a kite, but now i'm downloading Stunt Kite Masters VR and will do it in VR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4EUeeDBYSo

i'm not sure if this is pathetic or awesome. maybe both. but last year a had a goal to learn how to fly a kite because tons of kids fly kites every weekend on my street. kite-flying is big in rio. anyway, long story short, i didn't learn to fly a kite, but now i'm downloading Stunt Kite Masters VR and will do it in VR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4EUeeDBYSo

That's great, hope it teaches you some pointers in real life.

Top Bottom