• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Grinchy

Banned
I wonder if they went with 1v1 for Farpoint's PvP because they know how impossible it is to get online games going in VR titles. That thing looks fun though.

I'm shocked that the Aim controller listing for Doom VFR was right all along.

gmoran

I wonder if they went with 1v1 for Farpoint's PvP because they know how impossible it is to get online games going in VR titles. That thing looks fun though.

1v1 with bots. I'm guessing its processing resources more than anything, Farpoint is very graphically impressive for a PSVR game.

philm87

Anyone heard any more about Project Cars 2 getting VR? Makes sense it should come at somepoint with it being available on PC.

Grinchy

Banned
So who is going to be our guinea pig for Dead Hungry? I have always liked Pixeljunk, but I don't really need another game right now.

Bluecondor

I mentioned this 10 minute 360 degree VR video that the New York Times produced last year for "Lincoln in the Bardo" - a 2017 historical fiction novel by George Saunders. The book is set around the events and experiences of Abraham Lincoln following the death of his eleven year old son, Willie, at the beginning of the Civil War:

http://hypernetec.com/lincoln-in-the-bardo-vr-review/

I was able to watch this video this morning, and am very impressed. I am hoping that this type of video becomes a regular feature of VR games moving forward.

The video itself is pretty bare bones by VR standards, as it is set in a cemetery that is completely 2D and the viewer cannot move other than turning your head around. There is also no interaction whatsoever - you are watching a 10 minute scene. Admittedly, it is a primitive video by VR technical standards.

It is a deeply immersive experience though, because the individual videos of the characters (various ghosts in the cemetery, the ghost of Willie and Abe Lincoln - the only living person in the video) each appear in different parts of the cemetery, so you have to move your head around to pay attention to what each ghost is saying. It is also amazing to look at the reactions of the other ghosts to what is going on in the main part of the scene. The videos work because the actors playing them each did a great job making the character feel authentic (a ghost of a mother lamenting her young children, the ghost of a Union Soldier who lost an arm in battle, etc.) and the dialogue is very well written.

The whole time I was watching the video I kept thinking of how this would be a great lead-in scene for a game. You really get into the setting and the characters by being so close and having to actively follow the dialogue from different characters in different parts of the scene. Even though the technical side of the video was not very advanced, I felt like I was in that cemetery.

majik13

wow, awesome and why is this video the only place its been mentioned/announced.

Why is the player using teleportation and the AIM controller in Doom in that video? Can you turn that off and have free locomotion? If you can't, that is the lamest use of the AIM controller; changing an instant buy to no thanks.

was thinking the same thing, like what? But I think it will have full locomotion, but not positive.

Why is the player using teleportation and the AIM controller in Doom in that video? Can you turn that off and have free locomotion? If you can't, that is the lamest use of the AIM controller; changing an instant buy to no thanks.

I'm with you. If that's their solution even with the Aim controller, no thanks.

Grinchy

Banned
Skyrim looked really damn good on that Gamespot stream. Doom did also. The guy playing sucked, but i have a lot of faith in the games now.

Burglekutt

I just watched the IGN video on it and I believe the Bethesda guy said it was only teleportation, even with the aim controller.

consoul

What? Doom without free movement isn't Doom.
Moving and shooting is what it's all about.

This is a huge mistake. Bethesda just shot themselves in the foot and teleported away.

Newk86

Yes teleporting for Doom isn't great, but it sounds like they worked it into the story/lore a bit at least (cyborg main character, projecting consciousness etc). I'm kind of used to it already anyway after watching the Gamespot gameplay clip for a while, and the quality looks great.

Check out this video if you haven't already, probably the only other disappointing thing is the confirmed total playtime of 3-5 hours (also shows Skyrim gameplay in second half).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKT9CDgSL0w

It's getting to the point though now with Doom and Skyrim on the way and looking good, that I could legitimately recommend owning a PSVR for the value. Before it was still in enthusiast/luxury only territory for me, but I'm pretty confident in the quality of the following games to say it has now justified the purchase (jury still out on a few of course).

Resident Evil 7
Farpoint (with Aim controller)
Doom VR (confirmed Aim controller support)
Skyrim VR
Superhot
I Expect You to Die
Moss
The Inpatient
The Solus Project
Blood & Truth

The VR campaign in the upcoming Ace Combat 7 being extensive enough could really swing it. Only thing I'm really down on is probably the quality of the Move controllers (lack of thumbsticks), and just a lack of good racing options especially if you own a wheel. Also the future from here on is a bit uncertain as far as really big upcoming titles.

Another video of Skyrim gameplay from IGN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhJFmXQqjRQ

Grinchy

Banned
Sony is crazy not to do a Skyrim PSVR bundle. It looks like it'll finally dethrone RE7 as the must-have complete game for VR.

gmoran

This is a huge mistake. Bethesda just shot themselves in the foot and teleported away.

This is how Id designed the game from the off, so yeah I'd like a free locomotion system, but if there isn't I'll still be so chuffed they included Aim support.

Every FPS that comes to PSVR should have Aim support, and Sony should strongly encourage that.

I hoping that at some point Capcom work Aim support into Resi 7. I know there are times when you have no weapon or just a pistol, but I think that's no impediment to Aim support if you spend a good portion of the game with a gun.

MultiCore

This is how Id designed the game from the off, so yeah I'd like a free locomotion system, but if there isn't I'll still be so chuffed they included Aim support.

Every FPS that comes to PSVR should have Aim support, and Sony should strongly encourage that.

I hoping that at some point Capcom work Aim support into Resi 7. I know there are times when you have no weapon or just a pistol, but I think that's no impediment to Aim support if you spend a good portion of the game with a gun.
I liked the head-based aiming in RE7. Made the game really easy, because you almost naturally stare at enemies' heads while maneuvering.

It would be a really different experience with an Aim. I'm trying to imagine if it's an improvement...

It would certainly be different, and a nice option to have available.

ElNino

Well this is Doom VFR, not just Doom. Agreed that classic Doom is just as much about movement as it is shooting, but this is a VR adaptation of the franchise as opposed to simply porting it to VR (as seems to be case with Skyrim).

I'm still interested in it seeing the Gamespot video, actually I'm probably more interested now as my comfort concerns are lessened.

Grinchy

Banned
In case anyone missed the Gamespot stream of Skyrim VR, here is a youtube link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bw5B4_QoJM

I was kinda concerned it was going to suck since they were so quiet about it, but it looked really cool here. There are some compromises, like when he goes to Whiterun and goes into the castle on the hill, you'll notice fewer objects on the tables you can interact with.

I'm just really pumped for this now.

MultiCore

Well, I just received another Amazon email:

"The Inpatient - PlayStation 4 Standard Edition"
    Estimated arrival date: December 31, 2018

:(

MultiCore

Makes me want a stick and rudder, but I know Ace Combat isn't that type of game.

If it looks like the trailer, I'll get it.

wondermega

Ace Combat looking great, I'll definitely check it out. Also great news about Doom, I'll at least rent it - unless they get the movement in there (or everyone says it's incredible). PSVR looking pretty good one year in!

Jimmy_liv

In case anyone missed the Gamespot stream of Skyrim VR, here is a youtube link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bw5B4_QoJM

I was kinda concerned it was going to suck since they were so quiet about it, but it looked really cool here. There are some compromises, like when he goes to Whiterun and goes into the castle on the hill, you'll notice fewer objects on the tables you can interact with.

I'm just really pumped for this now.
It looks amazing but wish there was a demo as it's a lot of money only to find that I'm bored after 5 mins. (having already finished it I'm non-VR)

Grinchy

Banned
It looks amazing but wish there was a demo as it's a lot of money only to find that I'm bored after 5 mins. (having already finished it I'm non-VR)

Yeah, I can imagine. I played it back in like 2011. I spent like 100+ hours on a single mage character. After that much time away from it, I'm so ready to make a stealth bow and dagger build. That sounds so fun for VR. I probably wouldn't feel that way if I had just played it within the past year.

I just hope we can get that survival mode for the VR version.

Newk86

I've watched the Skyrim videos about five times now already. Really soured about the confirmed lack of DLC availability though. And the fact that the rep said it "may come later" is possibly even worse, like, is it coming or isn't it?

I WANT that hardcore difficulty mode for my playthrough FFS. I realise that you can limit yourself, role play on your own etc, but I'd prefer the actual mode and definitely don't want to have to restart the entire game again if/when it eventually does come out.

I guess it's buy, mess around, but hold out on a proper playthough until there is actual confirmation one way or the other.

Grinchy

Banned
I hadn't watched the IGN video until just now. I kept wondering what the horseback riding was gonna be like, and they actually showed it there.

skyrim.gif

The horse is kinda ugly but that's gonna be so awesome having free hand movement while riding a horse.

Jimmy_liv

I hadn't watched the IGN video until just now. I kept wondering what the horseback riding was gonna be like, and they actually showed it there.

skyrim.gif

The horse is kinda ugly but that's gonna be so awesome having free hand movement while riding a horse.

I hope you can turn off the dark edges whilst moving. Please realise that not everyone needs all the comfort settings.

Necro900

I hope you can turn off the dark edges whilst moving. Please realise that not everyone needs all the comfort settings.

They say multiple times during the previews that it can be turned off/toned down for comfort. I've never tried a VR headset, does this vignette thing really reduce motion sickness? How?

philm87

They say multiple times during the previews that it can be turned off/toned down for comfort. I've never tried a VR headset, does this vignette thing really reduce motion sickness? How?

It's to stop you brain thinking your moving when you're not. Makes it feel more like looking at a screen in that sense, but this obviously has a negative on the immersion.

philm87

PSVR is going to have a good end to the year. Imagine there's a fair few in the same boat as me waiting for Black Friday deals. With the line-up of games coming it's got to encourage people that were on the fence that it's not just a fad.

Taker666

skyrim.gif

I hadn't thought about horse riding in VR.

You could do something like a western themed Rush of Blood with you on a runaway galloping horse shooting things instead of on the rollercoaster.

WildZero

skyrim.gif

Jesus, that blackout effect is horrible. I thought everyone would be over the sickness fears by now.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm surprised that neither the Gamespot nor the IGN player went into the settings to turn that off or asked if it was ok to do so. It's possible that they just don't really play much VR.

The first thing I do in VR games is turn off all the comfort settings. Things like snap turning and the peripheral blackout feel so bad to me.

majik13

Jesus, that blackout effect is horrible. I thought everyone would be over the sickness fears by now.

well its not fears, its actual sickness, its a real thing. Some people are affected by it more than others. And you can turn it off, always good to have options, you dont want people getting sick from your games.

philm87

well its not fears, its actual sickness, its a real thing. Some people are affected by it more than others. And you can turn it off, always good to have options, you dont want people getting sick from your games.

Yeah I tried the Bladerunner experience on my Gear VR and it made me feel horrible! It's just like travel sickness if you've ever had that.

The Skyrim movement looks okay with the pointing the right and and pressing the button, good compromise with the lack of stick on the moves. Just hope they get rid of the bug where the hands kept changing to move controllers!

Newk86

Gamespot video confirms both no mod/CC support as well as no third person mode for Skyrim VR.

So with no third person mode does that mean we won't be able to check out our character and what their armour and gear looks like etc? It's been a while so I've forgotten, does anyone know if there are mirrors in Skyrim or is there some other way that we can do this?

philm87

Gamespot video confirms both no mod/CC support as well as no third person mode for Skyrim VR.

So with no third person mode does that mean we won't be able to check out our character and what their armour and gear looks like etc? It's been a while so I've forgotten, does anyone know if there are mirrors in Skyrim or is there some other way that we can do this?

Can't remember any mirrors. Hopefully they'll add it to the inventory menu, be silly if they've ignored that people will want to actually see what their character looks like!

What is CC support?

Is the DLC included at launch or not?

Zigroid

Neo Member
What’s up with the PS online store? The size they give for a download rarely matches the actual size. I started dL’ing COD WW2 this morning... the store says it’s 48 gb but it’s really 108 gb. There have been discrepancies before, but never this bad. Why would they do this?

Grinchy

Banned
What's up with the PS online store? The size they give for a download rarely matches the actual size. I started dL'ing COD WW2 this morning... the store says it's 48 gb but it's really 108 gb. There have been discrepancies before, but never this bad. Why would they do this?

I don't know if this is why, but I don't think that the store takes into account any kind of future downloads. So like the base game might be one size, then you start downlading it, and it has some huge day 1 patch that has to come with it and the download manager just shows the overall size it's downloading.

Top Bottom