• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Reading to much into it. Sony like any corp is focusing their messaging on an upcoming product. Keeping it simple.

PSVR 2 will be announced eventually.
Yeah, they are still intending to sell PSVR1 for the next two years, consider the PS5 compatibility. PSVR2 is too far out to be acknowledged.

This is Console Gaming, and that means there is a decent gap between hardware launches. This isn't like PCVR where you get new headsets released every year.

Last edited:
Yeah, they are still intending to sell PSVR1 for the next two years, consider the PS5 compatibility. PSVR2 is too far out to be acknowledged.

This is Console Gaming, and that means there is a decent gap between hardware launches. This isn't like PCVR where you get new headsets released every year.

I'm not talking about psvr2 at all. I'm talking about the complete absence of any mention to psvr support even in first-party games like GT7 and Astro Bot, both playable with dual-sense so PS3 Moves would not be a nuisance or embarrassment.

and now there are delays in indies - Survios TWD, Impulse Gear silent since 2018, Polyarc silent since Moss, no VR in the new Superhot game and devs not hot on VR either, Firmament delayed to 2022, Strange Games mentioning VR support on PS4 but not on PS5, no mention of PS5 in SW Squadrons etc...

these are all very worrying signs for psvr1. I hope they surprise me in a next batch of PS5 reveals before launch, but I'm pessimistic until then...

Resenge

Survios TWD
Maybe I am missunderstanding you but that game is out already and they hav only just updated with a whole new gamemode.

no VR in the new Superhot game and devs not hot on VR either
Superhot VR is one of the biggest VR sellers, The devs updated their original flat Superhot game which is a very different game to Superhot VR. I think you overthinking things here.

Strange Games mentioning VR support on PS4 but not on PS5, no mention of PS5 in SW Squadrons

There is no support for PS5 because PS5 VR has not been announced, but PSVR is compatible with PS5, so support for PS4 = Support for PS5 automatically. Seems silly to support an old peripheral on your new console if you are not going to support it. (So many support)

As for Astrobot, that character was originally made to show of the capabilities of the PS4 camera on Playroom, then reused to show off the capabilities of the PSVR, now Astrobot is being used to show off the capabilities of the Dual Sense controller which is in line with the history of that character.

Sony has only just announced a few PS5 games. Need some patience mate, Sony is drip feeding us for now, their full focus is on the PS5.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

is borderlands 2 good on vr? its a cool $20 right now. i loved borderlands 1 but never got around to 2. would be cool to experience on vr for my first play. what you guys think? time to get it or pass?

Romulus

is borderlands 2 good on vr? its a cool $20 right now. i loved borderlands 1 but never got around to 2. would be cool to experience on vr for my first play. what you guys think? time to get it or pass?

I would say go for it. Its solid, and better than playing in nonvr for singleplayer. No multiplayer is the downside.

downright one of my favorite games on psvr. It's the only real full FPS game on psvr, and besides all the frantic shooting you may also punch (like to bring down shields) and use hand powers. Vehicles are a bit trickier with Moves, but you get the hang of it. BAMF time to feel badass in bullet time is a nice addition. It's a faithful port, integral with all DLCs, only missing co-op. Minor details got cut from the flat version: no shadows, bodies disappear after awhile, hand animations only without Moves (because make no sense with your own hands). Same amount of enemies and action.

works great either with Moves or Aim, and I guess ds4 too but never tried.

also, resolution is very sharp thanks to its cellshaded art direction.

in other others, it's a must buy, full or on sale either way.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

You’d have to think Resident Evil 8 is going to be a big game for PSVR on Ps5.

I‘m Interested to know what improvements using it on a more powerful console will bring.
Graphics-wise, I expect 90-120 fps without needing to downgrade the resolution below the PSVR's 1080p display (even better if we get supersampling). RE7 ran at 540p on the standard PS4 and 720p on the Pro, so the clarity improvement alone will be massive.

Gameplay-wise I want the VR mode to be playable with Index-like controllers, but I guess they'll just shoehorn DualSense standard controls with head aiming and call it a day.

FunkMiller

Graphics-wise, I expect 90-120 fps without needing to downgrade the resolution below the PSVR's 1080p display (even better if we get supersampling). RE7 ran at 540p on the standard PS4 and 720p on the Pro, so the clarity improvement alone will be massive.

Gameplay-wise I want the VR mode to be playable with Index-like controllers, but I guess they'll just shoehorn DualSense standard controls with head aiming and call it a day.

Maxing out the PSVR resolution and frame rate is more than enough of a bump up to keep me happy with it for quite a while.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah I'm dying to see some VR talk at one of these PS5 showcases. Give us a list of games that are going to be enhanced when played with a PS5. I'd love to see lots of 120fps and supersampling patches. There are a few games already doing 120fps on it now, so I imagine they could supersample the hell out of them if they really wanted to.

darthvargi

Yeah I'm dying to see some VR talk at one of these PS5 showcases. Give us a list of games that are going to be enhanced when played with a PS5. I'd love to see lots of 120fps and supersampling patches. There are a few games already doing 120fps on it now, so I imagine they could supersample the hell out of them if they really wanted to.
Same here. I feel like a quick Nintendo Direct like presentation would put a lot of people at ease. I know some people get mad at VR only news but they need to show some kind of future plans for VR on PS5. I don't think it's their focus for this year but a 15 minute presentation of their roadmap and a trailer or two would be great.

wondermega

I'm not feeling terribly hopeful for PSVR news for the rest of the year, at least. Not super-surprised that they ignored it during the PS5 presentation but that definitely doesn't inspire confidence to begin with. I'm still a believer (love the setup) and honestly every year they've kept going with a very solid, if limited, curated lineup which (in my opinion) puts them at the absolute top of VR gaming industry-wide. I do worry for 2021 though, if it's more of the same then I won't mind but I am more wary of them petering out now with the new console launch. If it's slowed down (more so) I am not excited, but it is acceptable. Don't let us down, Sony!

Grinchy

Banned
I think they just aren't ready to announce PSVR2 yet, and it makes this an awkward time. I kinda doubt they want to do PSVR1 games for PS5, because that sends a confusing message to a product that's supposed to be easy VR for the masses.

But then we have a game like RE8. If it has VR support for PS5, there won't be a PSVR2 headset and it would have to be a PS5-only PSVR1 game, which is what I feel is hard to explain easily. And then we end up with a weird situation where early PS5 VR games that had to use PSVR1 have to be patched down the line to also work on the new PSVR2 setup when it comes out which will use a completely different tracking system.

So yeah...weird transition going on.

Impotaku

I'm genuinely curious to just how powerful the PSVR headset is i know it's capable of displaying a lot more than it currently does due to the PS4 not been powerful enough to totally max it out and still keep the framerate hence the resolution been lowered in pretty much all games to keep things running smoothly. Some games seem to be coded better than others so they end up looking a lot sharper. To be honest VR is the only reason i'd probably upgrade to a PS5 as so far there is literally nothing on either upcoming system that makes me want to jump on board. In the meantime i'm happy to continue picking up stuff i missed on PS4 there's still al load of VR stuff i have yet to buy have about 54 VR games so far but my wishlist still has about 10 or so on it. Now dreams has VR i'm tempted to pick it up to see what stuff people have been making.

I wouldn’t stress too much about PS5 VR. Things are definitely happening, but it seems nobody is supposed to be talking about it.

Low-Fi is a PC VR-only title. Developer says it’s coming to PS5 next year. When asked about Sony’s future VR plans he backtracked rapidly when he realised they haven’t talked publicly about it yet.

Sony's gameplan is to stay far away from the Osborne Effect. This means they will never talk about anything unless they are ready to market it.

PSVR1 is still being sold, and the current roadmap is to keep running it on PS5. This means Sony need to pretend PSVR2 doesn't exist, even when everyone know it does. Sony has no reason to hurt PSVR1 sales by announcing its successor two year out from launch.

Remember that Sony also pretend PS5 doesn't exist two years ago, and stayed silent about anything and everything PS5 until the reveal. You don't have to like it, but this is proven marketing necessity. You don't talk about the successor hardware until you HAD to.

Hostile_18

Banned
I'm genuinely curious to just how powerful the PSVR headset is i know it's capable of displaying a lot more than it currently does due to the PS4 not been powerful enough to totally max it out and still keep the framerate hence the resolution been lowered in pretty much all games to keep things running smoothly. Some games seem to be coded better than others so they end up looking a lot sharper. To be honest VR is the only reason i'd probably upgrade to a PS5 as so far there is literally nothing on either upcoming system that makes me want to jump on board. In the meantime i'm happy to continue picking up stuff i missed on PS4 there's still al load of VR stuff i have yet to buy have about 54 VR games so far but my wishlist still has about 10 or so on it. Now dreams has VR i'm tempted to pick it up to see what stuff people have been making.

Could the PS5 produce a much sharper image and its down sampled to the native display of the PSVR and gain benefits? Similar to what people use on the PS4 Pro when they don't have a 4k tv?

Plus no loading if installed on the SSD.

Shmunter

Could the PS5 produce a much sharper image and its down sampled to the native display of the PSVR and gain benefits? Similar to what people use on the PS4 Pro when they don't have a 4k tv?

I believe that’s the expectation. The screen has more potential than the current rendering hardware can deliver. Some games are better than others.

Romulus

It already does that in some games. Wipeout and Bound on PS4 Pro look pretty damn clean, even compared to my Rift S. It's still less clarity of course, but definitely better than it should be. It makes me excited to see what PS5 can do for it.

Impotaku

Limited run games are releasing a physical version of space channel 5 VR, i held off the digital version due to the high price. For most digital PSVR stuff £20 is about my limit. For physical however i'm prepared to pay a bit more.

Rudius

It already does that in some games. Wipeout and Bound on PS4 Pro look pretty damn clean, even compared to my Rift S. It's still less clarity of course, but definitely better than it should be. It makes me excited to see what PS5 can do for it.
Wipeout runs at 1440p on Slim and 1512p on Pro. They didn't increase the resolution more because, according to them, after 1.5x the benefits of super sampling are negligible. Bound supposedly is 4K on Pro and I don't see a difference compared to Wipeout. That said, what PS5 could do for image quality is to improve blurry games, like No Man's Sky, to the level of Wipeout (1.5x the native resolution of PSVR); more than that would go to waste on the current device 1080p screen. A better way to use the remaining power would be to run the games at 120fps.

Rudius

When PSVR2 releases (I expect 2021) with at least a 1440p resolution it would be nice for PS5 to offer an option to force PS4 games to run at 4X the resolution; 1080p games like Astrobot would run at 4K, 900p would go to 1800p and 720p games (No Man's Sky, perhaps?) would run at 1440p. To offer that option at system level would be far better then relying on devs to patch each game; something like Driveclub would never be updated, but would benefit greatly from a 4x increase in resolution.

Shmunter

When PSVR2 releases (I expect 2021) with at least a 1440p resolution it would be nice for PS5 to offer an option to force PS4 games to run at 4X the resolution; 1080p games like Astrobot would run at 4K, 900p would go to 1800p and 720p games (No Man's Sky, perhaps?) would run at 1440p. To offer that option at system level would be far better then relying on devs to patch each game; something like Driveclub would never be updated, but would benefit greatly from a 4x increase in resolution.
I agree. Auto enhanced bc is ideal. If devs want to do a PS5 patch for other gains it’s a seperate topic.

Wipeout runs at 1440p on Slim and 1512p on Pro. They didn't increase the resolution more because, according to them, after 1.5x the benefits of super sampling are negligible. Bound supposedly is 4K on Pro and I don't see a difference compared to Wipeout. That said, what PS5 could do for image quality is to improve blurry games, like No Man's Sky, to the level of Wipeout (1.5x the native resolution of PSVR); more than that would go to waste on the current device 1080p screen. A better way to use the remaining power would be to run the games at 120fps.

yes, totally. NMS is probably running lower than 720p on PS4, with no Pro patch in sight. Some of the most bewildering experiences on Dreams can get that low and blurry as well, thanks to their dynamic resolution. Also Driveclub and Here they Lie were very blurry, but by now very old and unsupported...

PS5 could help a lot here getting at least native 1080p in these games with perhaps native butter smooth 120fps...

I suppose State of Play won't enter in details how PS5 will enhance or not PS4 VR games, but I hope so... and please let us play Astro Playroom and GT7 at least on psvr

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Could we see the long awaited Prey VR at this Sony State of Play!?

I wish more games would give this kind of VR treatment personally, rather than smaller games built from the ground up. Just seems more cost effective and provides a smaller group with a lot of content.

Could we see the long awaited Prey VR at this Sony State of Play!?

I wish more games would give this kind of VR treatment personally, rather than smaller games built from the ground up. Just seems more cost effective and provides a smaller group with a lot of content.

the stupid VR minigame already came out, called Transtar. There's nothing else coming.

That's certainly not the kind of treatment I want for VR, I want the full game in VR - not stupid walking sim in Lara's mansion or whatever.

If not, I'm not bothering anymore, Dreams VR is here and frankly I've already had in it more breadth of VR experiences in it than in most native VR indies. Seriously, it has shown that 3rd person games work just fine in VR and lock-on mechanics in FP VR as well - VR devs are full of BS regarding these...

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
the stupid VR minigame already came out, called Transtar. There's nothing else coming.

That's certainly not the kind of treatment I want for VR, I want the full game in VR - not stupid walking sim in Lara's mansion or whatever.

If not, I'm not bothering anymore, Dreams VR is here and frankly I've already had in it more breadth of VR experiences in it than in most native VR indies. Seriously, it has shown that 3rd person games work just fine in VR and lock-on mechanics in FP VR as well - VR devs are full of BS regarding these...

Last month a UK retailer listed the full game and then took it down 😊

Dreams VR is so good and the physics is amazing:

they've also implemented the best analog-like Move controls ever and a very clever comfort mode that works is all games the same way.

the only thing missing is allowing for left hand to grab stuff as well - although this hasn't prevented some users of already implementing bow mechanics as well...

And Mm are aware of it and will enable it further on:

Amazing tool, amazing devs. Dreams is one of the best things ever made for PlayStation platform.

Top Bottom