• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

the 2 big releases for the month:

it's true, Aim is getting more action this late in the life of psvr than it ever got until now. The popular Population One BR has confirmed long ago to be heading to psvr too and likely going with Aim too rather than Moves - psvr's real achilles heel...

this will be a constant until psvr2:

Hitman 3 can look and run great on PS4 in VR but crappy indie need a PS5 to run their PS2-looking game...

Lose Ace Ventura GIF

Maskmaker coming next week:

these guys know how to make good puzzles and their previous game A Fisherman's Tale was quite polished - the biggest criticism was being quite short which is why they're going for a "Metroidvania" design for unlocking further regions and making the game longer. Watching closely, but just got Myst on the Quest and that will get me some time...

an underrated VR mechanic being put to good use in Fracked:

ducking behind cover and using hand grip to take a peek around and even shoot. I first saw it in Espire 1 and then on TWD Saints and Sinners. Should be more widespread, super useful...

these guys really grew a lot:

I only knew the crappy Shooty Fruity and then out of nowhere they came up with the interesting and polished kayak stealth thriller Phantom: Covert Ops for Oculus and even more surprising the upcoming Fracked for psvr. Meanwhile, more promising initial VR studios have been lingering forever...

Metaverse for psvr2 can't come fast enough:

Sony CEO Kenichiro Yoshida said in a statement that Epic continues to deliver revolutionary experiences through their array of cutting edge technologies that support creators in gaming and across the digital entertainment industry. He said Sony is excited to collaborate and bring new entertainment experiences to the world.

Wonko_C

The REVillage demo runs at 900p and can't maintain 60fps on a standard PS4. Pack it up guys, we're not getting PSVR support on this one.

3+ hours, are you kidding me? They hype it as some kind of Metroidvania, willing to improve on A Fisherman's Tale length and then this?

I still think Transpose is one of the most underrated VR indies out there, more challenging and substantial than this. Go grab it and save overrated overhyped titles for a sale... It also has more interesting mechanic of playing with copies of yourself.

VR indies is hit or miss. I try to support them but it's helpless...

Last edited:

Schnauzer

Any news on if we will have 3d Blu-ray support for the new PSVR 2? With better resolution, this would be a no brainer purchase for that alone.

Romulus

It's hilarious thinking back to all the GAF experts saying PSVR was done for after this gen.

Sony Interactive Entertainment President and PlayStation boss Jim Ryan says that the company’s next-generation VR system is a “strategic opportunity”.

Ryan said as such to Japanese publication, Nikkei, in a recent interview, adding that the potential market for VR is “huge”.

“The next generation VR system is a very strategic opportunity for PS,” he said (as translated on Systran). “We launched PSVR in 2016 and have had time to understand the VR experience for years. What I learned from VR is that the potential market is huge. I want to continue to provide a high gaming experience to keep the community entertained.”

Wonko_C

It's hilarious thinking back to all the GAF experts saying PSVR was done for after this gen.

Exactly. I still blame that interview where Jim was asked about the "VR Future" and everybody else mistook that for "The future of PSVR". That started the doom and gloom. I almost fell for it too. Almost.

Fracked will be great - like all indies, probably not lengthy, but feels like Borderlands in the snow with proper VR mechanics...

Btw, I heard Impulse Gear is to reveal something this month about their next VR game after Farpoint 4 years ago...

Fracked will be great - like all indies, probably not lengthy, but feels like Borderlands in the snow with proper VR mechanics...

Btw, I heard Impulse Gear is to reveal something this month about their next VR game after Farpoint 4 years ago...

Btw, Impulse Gear just revealed their next game and it's a huge letdown...

Any word on if the PS4 version of Resident Evil Village includes VR support? My guess has always been no but hope dies last...
psvr is very dead, in case you didn't notice - Jimbo killed it. Go look at abysmal ratings for latest few releases and also at the awful things releasing...

this is just sad:

are people really this easily influenced and needy to right away buy any crap to fill their existential void?

After I got psvr and witnessed lots of old games getting ported because they run better in VR than new releases I completely held off playing most PS4 titles in hopes they would run in VR on PS5. now closer than ever, hope it doesn't disappoint. Still, quite a ways off - my advice is quitting flatgaming altogether until it's here...

thank God for Dreams on psvr, or else it'd be a very long wait...

Rudius

psvr is very dead, in case you didn't notice - Jimbo killed it. Go look at abysmal ratings for latest few releases and also at the awful things releasing...

this is just sad:

are people really this easily influenced and needy to right away buy any crap to fill their existential void?

After I got psvr and witnessed lots of old games getting ported because they run better in VR than new releases I completely held off playing most PS4 titles in hopes they would run in VR on PS5. now closer than ever, hope it doesn't disappoint. Still, quite a ways off - my advice is quitting flatgaming altogether until it's here...

thank God for Dreams on psvr, or else it'd be a very long wait...

I will only buy RE8 when I can play it in VR. I'd rather wait for PSVR2 for this game, as it is more demanding then 7 on PS4 and the Dualshock is limiting for immersion.

Kev Kev

I will only buy RE8 when I can play it in VR. I'd rather wait for PSVR2 for this game, as it is more demanding then 7 on PS4 and the Dualshock is limiting for immersion.
you know right, youre right. im gonna wait too. i payed re7 before i got vr and regretted it so hard once i finally got psvr. would have been sooooo much better. not gonna make that mistake again for re8

specs. 4K display divided for both eyes

Wtf! How did they

if eye-tracking is a certainty, you can bet pretty much all big games this generation will have VR mode with very little performance penalty. It'll be mind-blowing. Fitness minigame fans will cry hard about wires but fuck it.

Last edited:
current sad, crappy state of psvr after great farewell with Hitman 3 early 2021:

Quest really is receiving all the attention now and Life of Black Tiger, Gilson B. Pontes kinda crap is all that comes today. Makes Quest's Warhammer Battlesister, Demeo, Wraith and The Wizards Dark Times look like AAA despite PS2 graphics.

I wish Sony would step up and just right away kill it. Very sad way to die...

Zero Caliber is now on Quest - comparing to pcvr it looks like COD PS3 x Wii all over again, but hey, it's there.

this game was promised long ago for psvr, back in 2018 still I believe. psvr looked like nothing could stop it from taking over the world eventually. But they were all empty promises: after Farpoint in 2017, only Firewall half delivered, at least for the brief moments you were actually playing rather than waiting or watching. Bravo Team, Alvo, Zero Caliber, Zero Kills, Evasion... all either BS or very limited and looking like PS2 cancelled projects...

psvr had potential, but limited tech that really hurt software and player base. Now it's in its deathbed and there's no point releasing these promises when most players already left.

Anyway, my point is: if psvr2 is all about such BS empty promises again, I'm retiring from VR too. Perhaps in 10 more years we have actual neural stimulation VR - too bad games by then will probably be some among fall guys fortnite crossover..

Last edited:
you know how most of the so called escalation missions in Hitman are not playable in VR?

well, pleasantly surprised to find out the Mendoza Elusive Target is playable in VR. had a blast yesterday, first time I tried something like this, I tried to be as cautious as possible and listen to as many tidbits in disguise as possible. I think I was 2 hours into it, but couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Pretty sure that Blondie was asking for the most expensive wine protected under heavy security and I've gone through all the trouble and some kills to get it and then when I try to place the wine to her it just doesn't seem to be right wine :messenger_pouting:

I quit, not sure it'll still be available for playing today...

R6Rider

Gold Member
you know how most of the so called escalation missions in Hitman are not playable in VR?

well, pleasantly surprised to find out the Mendoza Elusive Target is playable in VR. had a blast yesterday, first time I tried something like this, I tried to be as cautious as possible and listen to as many tidbits in disguise as possible. I think I was 2 hours into it, but couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Pretty sure that Blondie was asking for the most expensive wine protected under heavy security and I've gone through all the trouble and some kills to get it and then when I try to place the wine to her it just doesn't seem to be right wine :messenger_pouting:

I quit, not sure it'll still be available for playing today...
The wine method doesn't actually work if I remember correctly. I did the business card method which made it super easy.

The wine method doesn't actually work if I remember correctly. I did the business card method which made it super easy.

Damn 3x! So much trouble! 😂

Btw, there was a unsuspecting lawyer right in the entrance and I punched him and hid in the grass and took his outfit and belongings, among which a suitcase in which I hid my initial pistol. Turned out when I sit in a bench I saw the suitcase was put in the ground, but then I left and walked around for awhile and thought it was with me but when I looked down I was not holding it anymore! I searched all around but completely lost it, perhaps agent 47 doesn't automatically grab it when standing up? Oh well...

By now it looks pretty obvious Move support is not coming. Been playing some missions like this just 1 handed anyway... going chronologically, never played the series. Perhaps by Hitman 3 I'm actually playing it on PSVR2 😂

Rudius

Zero Caliber is now on Quest - comparing to pcvr it looks like COD PS3 x Wii all over again, but hey, it's there.

this game was promised long ago for psvr, back in 2018 still I believe. psvr looked like nothing could stop it from taking over the world eventually. But they were all empty promises: after Farpoint in 2017, only Firewall half delivered, at least for the brief moments you were actually playing rather than waiting or watching. Bravo Team, Alvo, Zero Caliber, Zero Kills, Evasion... all either BS or very limited and looking like PS2 cancelled projects...

psvr had potential, but limited tech that really hurt software and player base. Now it's in its deathbed and there's no point releasing these promises when most players already left.

Anyway, my point is: if psvr2 is all about such BS empty promises again, I'm retiring from VR too. Perhaps in 10 more years we have actual neural stimulation VR - too bad games by then will probably be some among fall guys fortnite crossover..
At least in the hardware department they are doing it right this time. The external camera was forgivable in 2016, but the PS Moves were obsolete and inadequate from VR since day one, everyone could see that.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Damn 3x! So much trouble! 😂

Btw, there was a unsuspecting lawyer right in the entrance and I punched him and hid in the grass and took his outfit and belongings, among which a suitcase in which I hid my initial pistol. Turned out when I sit in a bench I saw the suitcase was put in the ground, but then I left and walked around for awhile and thought it was with me but when I looked down I was not holding it anymore! I searched all around but completely lost it, perhaps agent 47 doesn't automatically grab it when standing up? Oh well...

By now it looks pretty obvious Move support is not coming. Been playing some missions like this just 1 handed anyway... going chronologically, never played the series. Perhaps by Hitman 3 I'm actually playing it on PSVR2 😂
I don't remember if the suitcase "sticks" with you after sitting on benches, but it does for most other actions. Might have bugged out too. Yeah a PSVR2 upgrade would be great.

As long time fan who played through the newer trilogy normally first, I can say the VR is quite a bit different than flat mode. VR mode offers a lot less help when it comes to UI and HUD options and the Instinct is vastly nerfed. I would often switch between flat and VR modes. Shotguns in VR mode are extremely fun.

I don't remember if the suitcase "sticks" with you after sitting on benches, but it does for most other actions. Might have bugged out too. Yeah a PSVR2 upgrade would be great.

As long time fan who played through the newer trilogy normally first, I can say the VR is quite a bit different than flat mode. VR mode offers a lot less help when it comes to UI and HUD options and the Instinct is vastly nerfed. I would often switch between flat and VR modes. Shotguns in VR mode are extremely fun.
yeah, you're really there in 47 shoes, no real help but paying close attention to surroundings. Shotguns are great fun, but not a great way to play this game. Guess I just lost the opportunity here for this Elusive Target, by now time's up probably... that woman survived 😂

SW Squadrons is free on PS+ this month in case anyone missed it:

And I would to see how they pulled off VR mode on PS4 for Hitman, but it seems to be behind closed doors:

Encouraged by today's presentation of Horizon FW, went back to ZD, right from where I left untouched in early 2018 after deciding wouldn't play any other 3D game flat ever again.

Yes, it's gorgeous. Gorgeous graphics, crisp 4K resolution - how I missed my scumbag graphics whoring side. 3+ years just playing ports of old games or downgraded in resolution or just plain PS2-looking indie minigames...

I still have a feeling we will see Horizon in VR on psvr2. But just tired of waiting and seeing the current offer of miserable crappy titles on dying psvr, I'd rather just play flat than nothing. Well, hope it is the second which gets some VR mode, not again just old games... and please not limited modes like in GTS, bring us the whole deal, Sony...

Last edited:

Arashi Castles of Sin, unexpected good surprise for psvr that has been thoroughly lacking in any meaningful releases since Doom 3...

very good VR gameplay, including grappling hook and possibly good melee. But looks mostly about stealth, more Tenchu than Tsushima.

ohmy, it's Xmas in VR land! It's like all the great titles for VR that were not there during Xmas are now finally getting revealed!

this is awesome, AWESOME! finally out of that damn kayak!

very excited for the reveal of Arashi, but games like Fracked, Song in the Smoke and Wanderer were already revealed, but still not released and psvr is currently in a sad lull. Time to release one of these finally.

they also just confirmed Puzzle Bobble for psvr (surprisingly was not well received in casual Questland) and this was revealed before but slightly more fleshed out now:

yes, it's a "gardening" game, but seems to have some interesting mechanics...

Tygeezy

very excited for the reveal of Arashi, but games like Fracked, Song in the Smoke and Wanderer were already revealed, but still not released and psvr is currently in a sad lull. Time to release one of these finally.

they also just confirmed Puzzle Bobble for psvr (surprisingly was not well received in casual Questland) and this was revealed before but slightly more fleshed out now:

yes, it's a "gardening" game, but seems to have some interesting mechanics...

It's on psvr so I guess that makes it a real game and not a mini game for filthy casuals.

Top Bottom