• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Piichan

Banned
I started playing Thumper yesterday. Man, what a rush.

Tried playing it regularly on my tv screen afterwards just to see the difference. I had a hard time keeping track of things, and everything seemed so... small.

Grinchy

Banned
I finally got around to trying out Race the Sun in VR. I actually had never played the game at all. It was kinda cool.

h0mebas3

The comments in this thread definitely have me considering VR again. I had a bad experience of motion sickness trying out Driveclub VR and that turned me off...

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
The comments in this thread definitely have me considering VR again. I had a bad experience of motion sickness trying out Driveclub VR and that turned me off...
I was really scared at first as I've had shit experiences with 3d, but I've had great luck.

Haven't tried racing in VR, but I imagine that's a pretty rough way to start.

h0mebas3

that is a bad game to try first if you are trying to get your VR legs

Absolutely. I think seeing Archangel also peaked my interest. I don't mind shorter experiences, I can't see myself wearing it for hours on end. I'm curious, how does everyone store their PSVR?

I finally got to try native 4k and HDR today on a Samsung ks9000. Coming from a calibrated 1080p 32inch samsung telly, I was not surprised at all. HDR is barely an improvement, and native 4k on a 55 inch barely looks better than supersampling + 1080 on the 32 inch. And trust me, I am pretty strict about IQ.

If anyone was on the fence about investing in VR or 4k HDR due to a limited budget... VR is unquestionably better in my opinion. Proper 4k costs much, much more money and barely changes anything. VR changes absolutely everything.

Like, even leaving how much it changes the games themselves aside, from a purely visual standpoint Driveclub VR is much more appealing to me than, say, Forza 7 4k HDR footage. There's something magical about experiencing the atmosphere, lighting and the beautiful colors of the supercars while you are IN the game, even if the graphics and resolution are really poor compared to non-VR standards.

Radial-G developer has been teasing an imminent release of their game for PS4 and PSVR

https://mobile.twitter.com/Radial_G

Excited to get a wipeout vr fix soon.

What's the word on the games quality?

I finally got to try native 4k and HDR today on a Samsung ks9000. Coming from a calibrated 1080p 32inch samsung telly, I was not surprised at all. HDR is barely an improvement, and native 4k on a 55 inch barely looks better than supersampling + 1080 on the 32 inch. And trust me, I am pretty strict about IQ.

If anyone was on the fence about investing in VR or 4k HDR due to a limited budget... VR is unquestionably better in my opinion. Proper 4k costs much, much more money and barely changes anything. VR changes absolutely everything.

Like, even leaving how much it changes the games themselves aside, from a purely visual standpoint Driveclub VR is much more appealing to me than, say, Forza 7 4k HDR footage. There's something magical about experiencing the atmosphere, lighting and the beautiful colors of the supercars while you are IN the game, even if the graphics and resolution are really poor compared to non-VR standards.

Definitely, it's just entirely unique as an experience. Everything else will be incremental at best, but VR is just perspective shifting. I do hope we get higher resolution headsets sooner rather than later of course lol.

MattAces

Between ultra nice graphics vs a whole new experience, I have always prioritize a new way to play rather than just better graphics. That's the reason why between choosing Switch+games and 4k TV, I went for Switch+games. One day I might get that 4k TV for my Pro, but for now I would rather spend those money on games. I just never had the thought of, ugh this 1080p game is ugly and not enjoyable.

Radial-G developer has been teasing an imminent release of their game for PS4 and PSVR

https://mobile.twitter.com/Radial_G

Excited to get a wipeout vr fix soon.

It's finally coming soon? Oh boy, 6 more months then.

MattAces

Alright just finished Spider-Man Homecoming VR and tried out Mortal Blitz Pro patch.

5 minutes for Spider-Man Homecoming is an exaggeration, it's like 2 minutes long. But the web tangling mode is really cool, REALLY makes me want to buy Windland for the Move update. Still it's free, worth to download for sure. Graphic is not good.

As for Mortal Blitz, original game without Pro support has one of the best graphic in PSVR in terms of sharpness and clarity. Because of that, it is really immersive. The Pro patch? Holy shit. Really, there's no competition in terms of the sharpness and clarity for graphics in mortal blitz. I will definitely finish up Nightmare mode now with this Pro patch. The gun, the environment, the enemies from far away, the texture of the glove, my god the graphic is crazy. The enemies, gun and your hand has zero jaggies, smooth as hell. They are absolute wizards for achieving this graphic.

MattAces

wow thanks for the update, is it still on sale?

If you mean Mortal Blitz, I don't think so. The game is still short but the developer did promise for free/paid upcoming content very soon in reddit. Although, it's like Time Crisis, game is short but you have 3 difficulty. The shooting and pulling enemies mechanic is fun enough for replayability. I've finished both difficulty and only left the last one. There's also 50 levels training/challenge mode which is really fun, I'm stuck in the final level. Previously the hit box is quite annoying but now they've fixed that and only your head can get hit, which increases the fun factor so much more now.

ZehDon

Ok, random problem: just updated my PS4 and PSVR software to the latest versions. When I turn on my PSVR now, the social screen colours appear tinted green. The display in the headset is perfect, but I'm worried something's wrong. If I turn off the headset, the colours go back to normal. Any idea what might be causing this? Only started with the new system update.

panda-zebra

Alright just finished Spider-Man Homecoming VR and tried out Mortal Blitz Pro patch.

5 minutes for Spider-Man Homecoming is an exaggeration, it's like 2 minutes long. But the web tangling mode is really cool, REALLY makes me want to buy Windland for the Move update. Still it's free, worth to download for sure. Graphic is not good.

As for Mortal Blitz, original game without Pro support has one of the best graphic in PSVR in terms of sharpness and clarity. Because of that, it is really immersive. The Pro patch? Holy shit. Really, there's no competition in terms of the sharpness and clarity for graphics in mortal blitz. I will definitely finish up Nightmare mode now with this Pro patch. The gun, the environment, the enemies from far away, the texture of the glove, my god the graphic is crazy. The enemies, gun and your hand has zero jaggies, smooth as hell. They are absolute wizards for achieving this graphic.

Good stuff, wasn't expecting much from the Spidey thing so I'll be happy to see it however short it is. Mortal Blitz was something I went out of my way to demo making a HK account (I think) but never got around to buying. It was only 10% off with ps+ I think, so missing that sale no big deal.

MattAces

Good stuff, wasn't expecting much from the Spidey thing so I'll be happy to see it however short it is. Mortal Blitz was something I went out of my way to demo making a HK account (I think) but never got around to buying. It was only 10% off with ps+ I think, so missing that sale no big deal.

The demo to final release has a significant upgrade in terms of control, graphic and texture. The demo was alright, everything is still pretty blurry and I really disliked the control where you have to point directly on the camera. I was also having the problem with the hand placement in the demo. All of these were fixed in the final release with a huge graphic upgrade. They reworked the entire starting scene too with different sky box and graphic. And those are all pre-Pro patch. Also the demo didn't have any of the enemy pulling mechanic I believe. Now whenever you shoot an enemy, you can use this tether power to stun them and get bonus points.

This is a common problem for many VR games, they felt like early access but closer to final release. The demo they put out are usually super early build that doesn't represent the final product at all.

MattAces

PSVR’s tracking and feature limitations are never too far from your mind; the Aim jitters when looking down the sights, and walking/turning with the Move controllers is cumbersome at best. Still the game gives you plenty of options to fine-tune the experience and the core gameplay is just as fun as it is on PC. If you can’t go Rift or Vive, then the PSVR version is still a great choice.

https://uploadvr.com/arizona-sunshine-review/
Combined review with PC version. 8.5/10
They said the PSVR version experience is very similar to the PC one.

What's the word on the games quality?

Played it a bit with Vive (not very far though), it's cable racetracks only as far as I've played (sometimes inverted, inside of a tube). Not really my kind of racing game, not a fan of track designs like that.

I'm very resistant to motionsickness in general, I bet this will be challenging to many though, entire field of vision can rotate around and change a lot in this game due to the nature of the tube/cable tracks. If you're susceptible to motionsickness, stay clear of this one!

MattAces

Arizona Sunshine 1.01 patch out.
2.3gb

A patch required message is now displayed when multiplayer content is started while on an old version of the game.
The (TM) character is now readable
Localization update for German conform naming conventions
The framedrop that occurred when picking up masks has been resolved
When accepting an invite of the same session a player is in, the invitation is ignored
Network errors are now always displayed when a room is closed or left
Zombie targets are now properly updated when a player has left the game
When two players press matchmaking at (approximately) the same time, they now join the same room.
Changed button text from "Host" to "Play with friends" for all languages

Give me a break, they submitted this week and got it out this week.
It took Brookhaven more than a month and we still got nothing.

WITHE1982

2.3gb

So I'm guessing this patch doesn't address the problems when using the Aim Controller?

Once the Aim is 1-1 in terms of accuracy I'll buy the game.

jrcbandit

2.3gb

Does Sony play favorites or something, why wont Sony just release the Brookhaven patch already? I think the Apollo 11 VR experience was submitted for release in US ages ago and still nothing (only released in Europe so far).

Freeman76

Just got an email inviting me to try the champions league final clip in VR and then fill in a survey.

Motherfuckers should give out credit to tempt me :)

MattAces

Kill me, my Crash got delayed to Tuesday.
Now my options are get Arizona Sunshine, get Breath of the Wild expansion pass or get Ratchet and Clank.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Kill me, my Crash got delayed to Tuesday.
Now my options are get Arizona Sunshine, get Breath of the Wild expansion pass or get Ratchet and Clank.

BotW Expansion Pass, then wait for the AS patch to hit, which might be another 3-4 weeks.

*Splinter

Speaking of Crash, I really wish it was playable in VR.

It was never going to happen, but Robot Rescue showed how well it would work.

popped my VR cherry last night finally, hopped straight into Star Wars. i could not believe what i was seeing, it was legit incredible. almost immediately i learned to ignore the not-so-perfect field of view and blurriness, because the sense of scale and 3D effect was just so effective. i kept shouting holy shit and just marveled at the cockpit details while flying (pleasantly surprised how things look up close, some materials and small details like dirt and screws etc look downright real to me), and then i crashed into a 2km wide asteroid.

when combat started i had to pause and take a breather, because it was simply too much for my brain, much more overstimulating than a real life rollercoaster lol. it really messed with my mind. BUT today morning i woke up early to try it again before leaving to work and i managed to complete it without too many issues, just mild dizziness when i was flying really close to the star destroyer and turning my head around to look behind me etc. but i guess that's to be expected if your brain thinks it's in space..

then i tried Statik with my gf.. best. puzzler. ever. can't even really describe how it felt to play, just so damn fun and awesome and mind-bending and omg all the little details that are right in your face, that you can manipulate.. utterly genius game. 10/10 for me after the first 2 puzzles. better than Portal 1 or 2. yea i said it.

didn't try anything else yet, still have Batman, RE7, Rez Infinite, Thumper etc to try out.. pure gaming heaven.

good job Sony, i don't regret purchasing this thing at all even though i was a bit hesitant for the first few months. now get to work R&D'ing PSVR 2.0 for the PS5! full field of view and 8k screens thank you very much.

MattAces

popped my VR cherry last night finally, hopped straight into Star Wars. i could not believe what i was seeing, it was legit incredible. almost immediately i learned to ignore the not-so-perfect field of view and blurriness, because the sense of scale and 3D effect was just so effective. i kept shouting holy shit and just marveled at the cockpit details while flying (pleasantly surprised how things look up close, some materials and small details like dirt and screws etc look downright real to me), and then i crashed into a 2km wide asteroid.

when combat started i had to pause and take a breather, because it was simply too much for my brain, much more overstimulating than a real life rollercoaster lol. it really messed with my mind. BUT today morning i woke up early to try it again before leaving to work and i managed to complete it without too many issues, just mild dizziness when i was flying really close to the star destroyer and turning my head around to look behind me etc. but i guess that's to be expected if your brain thinks it's in space..

then i tried Statik with my gf.. best. puzzler. ever. can't even really describe how it felt to play, just so damn fun and awesome and mind-bending and omg all the little details that are right in your face, that you can manipulate.. utterly genius game. 10/10 for me after the first 2 puzzles. better than Portal 1 or 2. yea i said it.

didn't try anything else yet, still have Batman, RE7, Rez Infinite, Thumper etc to try out.. pure gaming heaven.

good job Sony, i don't regret purchasing this thing at all even though i was a bit hesitant for the first few months. now get to work R&D'ing PSVR 2.0 for the PS5! full field of view and 8k screens thank you very much.

The Star Wars experience graphic is really below average - okayish. You should try the Call of Duty Infinite Warfare experience, that one has pretty good graphics.
Blurry will depend on games, some VR game manage to achieve pretty much 90% sharpness and clarity of normal games, while some are blurry mess. Thumper is one example of really sharp, saturated and beautiful game in VR.

Make sure you've tried Statik local co-op with the PlayStation App, there's 3 co-op boxes.

8K screens and full field of View will be like 2000 euros:p

I am happy you enjoy it.

The Star Wars experience graphic is really below average - okayish. You should try the Call of Duty Infinite Warfare experience, that one has pretty good graphics.
Blurry will depend on games, some VR game manage to achieve pretty much 90% sharpness and clarity of normal games, while some are blurry mess. Thumper is one example of really sharp, saturated and beautiful game in VR.

Make sure you've tried Statik local co-op with the PlayStation App, there's 3 co-op boxes.

yea i have to try the co-op for sure.

i wonder was there a Pro patch for Star Wars? if it's just base PS4 visuals then i'm actually really impressed, despite the blurriness. all the ships just looked so real to me.

is RE7 on the Pro a significant step up from Star Wars? i might try that next.

MattAces

yea i have to try the co-op for sure.

i wonder was there a Pro patch for Star Wars? if it's just base PS4 visuals then i'm actually really impressed, despite the blurriness. all the ships just looked so real to me.

is RE7 on the Pro a significant step up from Star Wars? i might try that next.

Star Wars doesn't have Pro support. RE7 on the Pro is fantastic, the outdoor is poo poo but once you get indoor, the atmosphere will get you.
For space combat stuff, I think COD experience might have the best graphic for sharpness. EVE Valkyrie is also very impressive for the structure and explosion.

SOLDIER

Based on some of the hype going around here I managed to have a review copy of Arizona Sunshine sent out.

Less than 30 minutes I already wanted to stop playing. So the inaccurate shots are a known issue? Even so, the controls are clunky as hell (using Move controllers). I can only manage to walk backward less than half the time.

gmoran

This thread is driving me insane man. I see posts like these, really made me reconsider my purchase. Then one hour later, another person will say it's so fun to blast zombie heads.
Would've been fine skipping it if Brookhaven Aim didn't delay for another 2 weeks.

I have $87 for the rest of 2017 to spend on VR games, so I must spend wisely. SuperHot VR and Theseus are locked in.

Of all the confirmed games coming this year MOSS is now my guaranteed lock-in.

And just to help on your AS anxieties, a video of mine showing the sniper rifle and then with the FAMAS, the FAMAS is hands down the best gun in the game, so good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0GMav2QfnE

TheMan

Based on some of the hype going around here I managed to have a review copy of Arizona Sunshine sent out.

Less than 30 minutes I already wanted to stop playing. So the inaccurate shots are a known issue? Even so, the controls are clunky as hell (using Move controllers). I can only manage to walk backward less than half the time.

yes, inaccuracy is a known issue. There's been a pretty sizable backlash against the game, check out r/psvr on reddit and see for yourself. The developers are gathering feedback and working on a patch, but I think it's gonna be a couple of months at least until the majority of major issues are ironed out.

The potential is there, but the execution so far has been poor.

MattAces

Of all the confirmed games coming this year MOSS is now my guaranteed lock-in.

And just to help on your AS anxieties, a video of mine showing the sniper rifle and then with the FAMAS, the FAMAS is hands down the best gun in the game, so good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0GMav2QfnE

God damn it, Moss is coming this year too, okay lock that in. And Raw Data (assuming it's not as broken as Arizona Sunshine), Rom Extraction, Dino Frontier, Bravo Team, Fantastic Contraption, Giant Cop, The Persistence. OH NO.

Also that looks really really accurate. Almost zero jittery. That is on standard right? That fog is pretty crazy, but I love that environment.

Jimmy_liv

Absolutely. I think seeing Archangel also peaked my interest. I don't mind shorter experiences, I can't see myself wearing it for hours on end. I'm curious, how does everyone store their PSVR?

Im a pauper and so keep mine in a.....lmao....in a large fruit bowl! hahah!

Ok, random problem: just updated my PS4 and PSVR software to the latest versions. When I turn on my PSVR now, the social screen colours appear tinted green. The display in the headset is perfect, but I'm worried something's wrong. If I turn off the headset, the colours go back to normal. Any idea what might be causing this? Only started with the new system update.

Try pulling some HDMI cables, especially if you have a HDMI splitter somewhere to reset the signal.

panda-zebra

Yep there's a lot of decent-looking stuff coming soon, lol. As digital is obviously best with PS.VR and US store is generally cheaper and has better sales, fired up my old account and loaded it with credit via Amazon to prepare (free extra $10 too, bonus!) and grabbed Mervils and Adr1ft while I was at it.

Top Bottom