• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

WITHE1982

Yep there's a lot of decent-looking stuff coming soon, lol. As digital is obviously best with PS.VR and US store is generally cheaper and has better sales, fired up my old account and loaded it with credit via Amazon to prepare (free extra $10 too, bonus!) and grabbed Mervils and Adr1ft while I was at it.

Mervil's is fantastic, a real underrated gem on PSVR. Clocks in at around 6-8 hours as well so plenty to keep you busy. Real Mario64 vibes in places and uses a few similar sounds to the N64 classic.

darkwing

There's a demo for this too, but just an extra note, the demo doesn't support Pro. In fact, every single demo from the demo disc doesn't have Pro support.

*pointing out for others, I know you have EVE :)

really? now you tempt me in getting a Pro, it already looks good for me now

I'm close to picking up Resident Evil 7. I'm gonna play it on easy and just slowly progress through it since I just can't take horror games nowadays (let alone in VR). Question is, is the season pass worth it?

h0mebas3

I'm curious, does anyone here have a PC-based VR system and how do they compare? I'm looking to get into VR and it seems like if it's released for PC, it's being released for PSVR as well.

MattAces

I'm curious, does anyone here have a PC-based VR system and how do they compare? I'm looking to get into VR and it seems like if it's released for PC, it's being released for PSVR as well.

Most quality/above average VR games are on both platform, they are either currently timed exclusive in PSVR or the dev are working on porting the game. Of course PC VR has a much larger library with those random low quality stuff. Although Oculus has some of the best VR exclusives in their platform too. PSVR has Sony backing it, like Farpoint, Inpatient, Bravo Team and more. Also there's big budget VR game being worked on from Sony Santa Monica, Sony London and Sony Manchester studio.
PC VR also has much more app support and some of the super performance intensive game that will never come to PSVR, still they are heavily hinted being worked on all the time, e.g. Project Cars 2, Elite Dangerous, Fallout 4

Glix

So I was trying to play Pinball last night and instead of getting world wobble I was getting world earthquake. It was insane. I couldn't figure out what was going on.

Turns out we just recently bought a fan for the den (like a cylindrical one that stands on the floor) and the power light is almost the exact same blue as the tracking lights on the HMD. Additionally it was on oscillate, lol.

Additionally, powering off the headset and then powering it back on, while being a pain in the ass, REALLY can help reset things if you get wobble madness. Even with the fan light, if I would power cycle the HMD I would get three minutes of solid gameplay before things went berserk

MattAces

So I was trying to play Pinball last night and instead of getting world wobble I was getting world earthquake. It was insane. I couldn't figure out what was going on.

Turns out we just recently bought a fan for the den (like a cylindrical one that stands on the floor) and the power light is almost the exact same blue as the tracking lights on the HMD. Additionally it was on oscillate, lol.

Additionally, powering off the headset and then powering it back on, while being a pain in the ass, REALLY can help reset things if you get wobble madness. Even with the fan light, if I would power cycle the HMD I would get three minutes of solid gameplay before things went berserk

World wobble? Make sure your PS4 is booted up from shut down, or just do a restart, and place your headset on a flat surface when it is powering on, leave it there for 20~30 seconds. Wobble again? Don't restart the headset, just place it on a flat surface for 30 secs.

kinggroin

Banned

The Vive advantages are:

Full tracking. Meaning, you can walk around any given room or space (full 360° within the tracked volume) that's setup with the included lighthouses without much fear of weird glitches or instability. It's far more accurate (headset, controllers, accessories), the controllers more versatile (they were built for VR), the hardware allows for upgrades (wireless module, tracking accessories, new head straps etc) and since it has a USB hub built in, can accommodate a wider range of headsets. The image quality of the games have the potential to far exceed what a PS4 Pro can offer thanks to the PC horsepower ceiling being higher. The minimum required frame rate is 90, so if you meet spec, you're going to have a smoother moving experience consistently (PSVR headset CAN hit 90 or 120, but doesn't often due to the demanding nature of it). The library of games is vast and much more varied than any other, this means amazing stuff and a lot of shitty stuff too. You also have in many cases, the ability to play Oculus exclusives perfectly fine.

Occulus Rift advantages:

Best VR controllers bar none. Best VR library bar none (plays nearly every single Vive game, plus it has some incredible exclusives). Every other category except PC horsepower and comfort, it's worse than the Vive.

PSVR:

Few exclusive content it has (not timed ones), will be backed by much bigger budgets, so games still compete visually even on much weaker hardware. It's also vastly more comfortable than other two default strap systems and has nicer lenses and screen (lower resolution, but the sub pixel arrangement more than makes up for it, especially on a PS4 Pro). You have 3D Blu-ray playback! Though the effect is ever so slightly subdued.

Chairhome

Just tried the Spider-Man Homecoming VR Experience.
Pretty cool, graphics are not great but serviceable. Mostly a shooting gallery. I was excited once the "web calibration" section ended, but there is one short sequence after that and it is finished.
For a free experience, it's fine, but I wish they did a little more, like include a score attack or something.

BTails

I'm pretty sure the season pass content doesn't include VR stuff.

Season pass does include VR. First two DLC packs contain three "experiences" each, two of which are playable in VR. So far the DLC has been 66% VR compatible, which isn't bad at all.

There's "Not a Hero" DLC coming at some point which'll be story based DLC, free for everyone, and playable in VR. Finally, there's supposed to be a third DLC pack for Season Pass owners that will be more story-based DLC, and I assume that'll be VR as well.

Glix

World wobble? Make sure your PS4 is booted up from shut down, or just do a restart, and place your headset on a flat surface when it is powering on, leave it there for 20~30 seconds. Wobble again? Don't restart the headset, just place it on a flat surface for 30 secs.

It's weird because Pinball is the ONLY game where it happens to me.

MattAces

Season pass does include VR. First two DLC packs contain three "experiences" each, two of which are playable in VR. So far the DLC has been 66% VR compatible, which isn't bad at all.

There's "Not a Hero" DLC coming at some point which'll be story based DLC, free for everyone, and playable in VR. Finally, there's supposed to be a third DLC pack for Season Pass owners that will be more story-based DLC, and I assume that'll be VR as well.

Oh shit, I was always under the impression of most of the DLC packs doesn't include VR. Is it the survival thing that doesn't include VR or the card game one?

Just tried the Spider-Man Homecoming VR Experience.
Pretty cool, graphics are not great but serviceable. Mostly a shooting gallery. I was excited once the "web calibration" section ended, but there is one short sequence after that and it is finished.
For a free experience, it's fine, but I wish they did a little more, like include a score attack or something.

What I don't get is, they put in controls to change which web you're using, but you never really get to use it since you can't do it during the calibration phase which is 90% of the experience.

PSVR:

Few exclusive content it has (not timed ones), will be backed by much bigger budgets, so games still compete visually even on much weaker hardware. It's also vastly more comfortable than other two default strap systems and has nicer lenses and screen (lower resolution, but the sub pixel arrangement more than makes up for it, especially on a PS4 Pro). You have 3D Blu-ray playback! Though the effect is ever so slightly subdued.

Would also add that its plug and play and very easy to maintain in a regular livingroom without the required space and camera placement of Vive.

MattAces

8wnzyUl.png

No, not multiplayer. They are adding Racing.

good lord Statik is difficult for my brain. totally stumped in the third puzzle.. 30min and i got nowhere.

don't spoil it for me! wth are those colored hands.. one is green, besides a coffee mug... cant see any green on my puzzle box... and none of the color combinations do anything for the cassette player arghh

joeblow

Statik tip - in general, realize that one side of any given puzzle box might not be solvable until you figure out another side first.

wondermega

I got PSVR in January and Vive several months later (for development). Considered selling my PSVR but decided to keep it and I'm glad I did, it has plenty of solid games and the whole experience is just very slick.
As for the Vive, the room scale simply cannot be beat, by anyone else on the market at this time. It's simply magical. I am sure the Microsoft/Acer model will surpass it when it comes out (no more need for setting up base stations, as the tracking is done from the device - like Hololens - than without), but that's still not gonna be for awhile yet.

ZehDon

Try pulling some HDMI cables, especially if you have a HDMI splitter somewhere to reset the signal.
Thanks! That actually fixed it. Yanking the breakout box output and putting it back in while it was turned on, and we're back in business. Never seen it before, hopefully never see it again.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Dudes, if I buy the Farpoint bundle from what looks like to be Spain maybe (PEGI label, Spanish box) will it work normally with my us ps4 and us account?

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Well, I did the idiot move and ordered. From what I've read only dlc would be a problem. I'm not crazy about the $100 markup but, hey, my birthday is coming up.

Farpoint and Arizona seem like cool experiences.

The Dude

Is Robinson a must play? I wish I could find a deal for it, that game looks so cool.

I'm gonna try the assembly tonight, looking forward to it.

joeblow

Well, I did the idiot move and ordered. From what I've read only dlc would be a problem. I'm not crazy about the $100 markup but, hey, my birthday is coming up.

Farpoint and Arizona seem like cool experiences.

If it helps, buy some discounted PSN Store Credit codes from eBay to save some cash buying PSVR games. I just stocked up myself, and the codes came in 30 minutes.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Alright, got to play the 3 VR games I bought in the sale:

Dying: Reborn
Relatively standard "Escape this room" affair. It looks decent and the 3 rooms in this version of the game are worth 3-4 bucks, even though I think some puzzle elements arent particularly well hinted at. Enjoyable enough, but not outstanding.

Unearthing Mars
This is more interesting, as it at least has a coherent narrative, but this is a case where the graphics do in fact matter and it really could use a PS4Pro resolution/texture bump. Its kinda trying to throw all kinds of VR elements together, as a sort of VR concept demo and it definitely has some parts that were very well executed. Unfortunately, despite its short game time, still manages to be too slow most of the time. Additional minus points for bad camea/only teleporting, but it actually is a rather cool little experience for the first few times testing VR. Same as above, enjoyable enough for 3-4 bucks.

Mervil
Now this on the other hand surprised me. The game looks stupidly bad on screenshots and videos, but the art style and colors really "pop" in VR. One of the more pleasing games to look at, even though this too, leaves us dealing with a teleport camera. This game has its heart in the right place, borrowing some ideas from Mario 64 and other platformers, while trying to do its own thing. Pretty charming, some neat level task ideas and a good amount of content. Highly surprised me, you should try this one for cheap.

holy shit

the VR Worlds game menu screen

why... why didnt anyone tell me

it's.. beatiful.

at least on Pro it looks damn near photoreal to me, and messing around with the various spheres was nuts. the lighting, textures, physics and everything just hypnotized me... I COULD REACH MY HEAD FORWARDS INTO THE SPHERE MADE OF WATER AND BLOW BUBBLES INSIDE IT WITH MY OWN MOUTH AND SPLASH ITS SURFACE WITH MY DUALSHOCK! HOW EXACTLY IS THIS POSSIBLE ON A VIDEOGAME CONSOLE?

i know i sound hyperbolic but i can't help it, this feels like the closest thing to magic or alien technology that i've experienced :D i still remember playing SNES games and being seriously impressed by Mode 7 visuals on a tiny tv screen. i almost can't even process this and i love it.

guess how i felt about Ocean Descent when i finally jumped into it.. not even gonna go into details because everyone would laugh at me and think i'm being ridiculous.

The Dude

holy shit

it's.. beatiful.

at least on Pro it looks damn near photoreal to me, and messing around with the various spheres was nuts. the lighting, textures, physics and everything just hypnotized me... I COULD REACH MY HEAD FORWARDS INTO THE SPHERE MADE OF WATER AND BLOW BUBBLES INSIDE IT WITH MY OWN MOUTH AND SPLASH ITS SURFACE WITH MY DUALSHOCK! HOW EXACTLY IS THIS POSSIBLE ON A VIDEOGAME CONSOLE?

i know i sound hyperbolic but i can't help it, this feels like the closest thing to magic or alien technology that i've experienced :D i still remember playing SNES games and being seriously impressed by Mode 7 visuals on a tiny tv screen. i almost can't even process this and i love it.

guess how i felt about Ocean Descent when i finally jumped into it.. not even gonna go into details because everyone would laugh at me and think i'm being ridiculous.

Yea it's nuts man, felt the exact same with that

dmix90

holy shit

it's.. beatiful.

I played with that ball-transformer in demo more time than i want to admit. Sound was really impressive as well :)

You will get used to VR( hopefully not ) soon but it's still very impressive if you experience fresh content. I think i got used to VR after ~20 hours of RE7 but before that it was really magical experience in 90% of the time.

Mervil
Now this on the other hand surprised me. The game looks stupidly bad on screenshots and videos, but the art style and colors really "pop" in VR. One of the more pleasing games to look at, even though this too, leaves us dealing with a teleport camera. This game has its heart in the right place, borrowing some ideas from Mario 64 and other platformers, while trying to do its own thing. Pretty charming, some neat level task ideas and a good amount of content. Highly surprised me, you should try this one for cheap.

You can change the camera to smooth turning. I agree. Mervil was a pleasant surprise. It also gets better as it goes along.

For a five minute long promotional piece, Spider-Man gave me the most intense emotional experience I have ever had with a piece of media.

Growing up, Spider-Man was my hero. I wore a Spider-Man shirt to school once a week, I would come home every day and put on my Spider-Man costume and bug my friends by covering them in silly string (long before Sony's marketing department made actual silly string web-shooter toys!) and to this very day, I keep four boxes in the crawl space filled to the brim with my old toys and comics despite my fiancé never being a major fan of that space commitment, lol. When I got older and went through middle and high school, I found so much of myself in Peter Parker as a character. I was never "chubby" or overly athletic, just normal sized, never really a "class clown", I always kept to myself and focused on the friends I had and my interest in films. I was never a "loner", but I was the very definition of average. Eventually, I managed to pull off landing dates with girls well beyond my league, something I have truly hit the jackpot with when finding my now-fiancé, and although I was fortunate enough to have a stable home life and avoid colossal life changing tragedy, I connected with the smaller issues in Peter's life. I always wanted to stand up for people and be the hero, I always found myself wishing I was exceptional rather than ordinary and unremarkable - I was just never bitten by a radioactive spider and given quite the same opportunity.

Of course throughout time we've had a windfall of Spider-Man games. Some have been exceptional (Spider-Man 2, Web of Shadows, Maximum Carnage), some have been exceptionally awful (Friend or Foe, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3) but while even the exceptional games managed to offer gameplay that emulated a broad Spider-Man experience, nothing has ever taken the leap into really putting you under the mask... until now.

The feeling of reaching out and grabbing the mask, donning the suit and having a rooftop view of the city as I whipped objects around me was surreal. For the very first time, I was the hero I read about on the page. VR's biggest selling point has always been the experience of stepping into a game world and interacting with it like never before and while experiences like Resident Evil VII, Batman: Arkham VR (another incredible experience, though Spider-Man has always had a far more personal connection to me), Farpoint and RIGS truly transport you to another world from the moment the headset is on, nothing has ever made me feel so emotionally connected, so satisfied and so much like the hero I always wished I could be like this five minute experience.

I know how corny I may seem but these are the experiences VR can offer. Having had the headset since shortly after launch, the "wow factor" has begun to stagnate until now.
Stepping into the suit of my favorite character in any piece of media was powerful. I couldn't explain the feeling any better than "powerful."

If any of you have a connection to the character at all, you owe it to yourself to give this a shot. It's under a gigabyte, it's free on the store and it contains no narrative spoilers for the film - but it offered the most emotional experience I have ever encountered with a piece of media.

The Dude

Just gonna lay this here, I'm anyone is lookin to part ways with Robinson and would sell at a reasonable price I'd be interested.

I actually prefer Arizona Sunshine with the Move rather than the Aim. Sure, movement is hampered, but the
mine
level with the
flashlight
in one hand, pistol in another felt awesome. Plus, nothing is cooler than duel-wielding a shotgun and an Uzi and crossing the guns on top of each other to sweep all of the zombies around you.

Fell out with PSVR shortly after launch, I've been waiting for digital sales on the games and it looks like this week is the time to strike!

Just jumped into the Spider-Man experience thing and it was way more fun than I expected. Loved just swinging trash around as Spidey for a bit. With the tutorial at the beginning, it really seems like there was more planned for that game at some point... I wish there was some kind of play that wasn't tutorial, lol.

Time to go stare at the store and pick out which games on sale to get. Definitely Until Dawn, probably one mooore.

Wollan

Found a few of my screen-grabs playing Resident Evil 7 in VR this January. Consider this your quarterly reminder to buy this masterpiece. Horizon and Zelda are masterclass from start til finish but the highest peaks of excellence experienced this year imo goes to RE7 in VR.
I haven't kept up to date on the DLC and I need to check that out.

C3TrsckWYAAtAj5.jpg:large

C3TrtbDWMAACTYY.jpg:large

C3Qy_DyWAAAUlmH.jpg:large

C3QzBEVW8AAqx6Q.jpg:large

Top Bottom