• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

Minsc

Gold Member
I played a VR at some open area show one time with my daughter and it wasn't anything fancy - basically we both put on headsets and played this sort of archery game where we were on moving platform for a while and enemies came at us or below us, etc, but it was very immersive despite the graphics and felt good to play. Not sure what headset this even was, but after that we both really wanted to get a headset. Problem being of course that we need two of them.

Reading through some of the VR threads on here make me want it even moar.. My pal is convinced the Valve's set is the way to go - but I'm still pretty noob about all this. Is PSVR the way to go? I'm torn up here. Almost got some for Christmas, but it's just so expensive for two and I still haven't even committed to a Ps5 unit quite yet.

Spend some time to figure out what games interest you (both released and upcoming), read up a bit more on impressions and reviews of the sets - not sure but I could have jumped in on PC at any point, but I guess the hype for PSVR2 got the better of me. I already had a PS5 so that helps a lot (obviously you also need a good PC if you go that route too). If there's any way at all you could visit someone with a PSVR2 that would make your decision a ton easier - but I guess they're probably still rare. For me the biggest negatives are the length I can use the set (really can't go past 2 hours before it's too much fatigue, but maybe that's for the best anyway), and the image isn't perfect (mainly you have to turn your head while looking forward to keep things the sharpest, instead of looking to the corners of the image with your eyes). But it does so much very well and the games I have for it now are a ton of fun, and there's a lot of games I'm looking forward too.

I think the PC VR systems are going to be better investment in terms of being able to do what you want. You have more choice and more app support and stuff like wireless options etc. But I guess you don't have GT7, RE8 and the sort.

I feel like unless you have a bad experience with the headset (it just doesn't let you get the sweet spot or isn't comfortable no matter what you do), any choice would be fun. PSVR2 is a super easy VR device though, hooking it up is effortless and that makes it easy to use, which is important I feel, so be aware of that too when shopping. You don't want a big setup each time.

Keihart

Ok, so heres my first impressions from a first time VR user...

The only game I've tried so far is GT7 and after 2 weeks of hyperbole spouting from tech media I must say that I'm yet to be convinced.

I can only assume that the terms "crisp" and "clear" are in relation to where things used to be with VR because having not tried those older headsets, there isn't really anything crisp or clear from my GT7 experience.

I've spent a good deal of time adjusting my headset settings and I'm playing with a full racing wheel setup. So I'm more or less ready to be fully immersed....

3 things stand out:

1. Image clarity isn't what I expected. Now I wasn't expecting it to look like my TV, I'm not that naive but I expected to atleast be able to look around my dash and not feel like I've got double vision. I think people who are saying there's a "sweet spot" are really sucking down that copium because I feel like I've found my sweet spot and it's really hard to see how this is as impressive as people say it is. It feels very claustrophobic and clarity is severely lacking. Occasionally when something is right in the centre of my screen it almost appears clear but beyond that, it's really hard to not feel like I'm drunk driving.

2. The screen door effect is very much in play here. In sunny weather conditions it feels like my driver is wearing sunglasses with screen door lenses. Looking around the screen and feeling like there's this layer of texture between my eyes and the picture is very distracting.

3. Ghosting. Perhaps a symptom of this title being very focused of fast paced action, trying to focus on anything while driving has pretty severe ghosting, if you park up and try to focus on cars as they drive by its almost impossible to really see any particular detail as the ghosting is intense.

They say what you lack in clarity you make up for in immersion and I must say it's a pretty trippy experience seeing a picture in front of you with actual depth to it but I think once you get past that "wow" moment you start to notice all the short comings and limitations. It didn't take long for reality to set in. I just couldn't see why anyone would want to replace the 2D racing experience with this outside of a gimmick you get your friends to try once in awhile.

So overall, as a first impression, I think the tech is cool, having it track my room in real time and provide a depth map was neat and the setup process was pretty painless. Once I got into the driver's seat it was immediately apparent that this is not what I expected, despite trying to keep my expectations realistic in relation to the limitations of these headsets. There may be a return in my future but I'll keep trying to find the fun for now.
I think i know what you are talking about from your description " I'm not that naive but I expected to atleast be able to look around my dash and not feel like I've got double vision" and there is no consumer product out there yet that solves this in VR, there are solutions but nothing widely available for consumers yet.
Basically, it is impossible for you to focus on anything closer than infinite distance (i think it's from 2m to infinity to be precise) in VR, the lenses set your focus point, so yes, as a limitation of tecnology, you cant focus on closer objects, they can be still readable and clear but always out of focus.

I don't have a PSVR2, but reading your complain made me think you needed some clarification on this, because it's something that should be expected to be a thing if you know how stuff works on VR.

Edit: if you are talking about the FoVeated reendering, this shouldnt be a problem, your eyesight works just like the FoVeated reendering feature, you only have high resolution on the center of your vision so unless the eyetracking it's not working, you shouldnt even notice the drops on resolution that the feature does, then again, "double vision" sounds more like you are complaining about how the focus works on every VR headset, until we get something with variable focus.

Last edited:

Inviusx

I think i know what you are talking about from your description " I'm not that naive but I expected to atleast be able to look around my dash and not feel like I've got double vision" and there is no consumer product out there yet that solves this in VR, there are solutions but nothing widely available for consumers yet.
Basically, it is impossible for you to focus on anything closer than infinite distance (i think it's from 2m to infinity to be precise) in VR, the lenses set your focus point, so yes, as a limitation of tecnology, you cant focus on closer objects, they can be still readable and clear but always out of focus.

I don't have a PSVR2, but reading your complain made me think you needed some clarification on this, because it's something that should be expected to be a thing if you know how stuff works on VR.

Edit: if you are talking about the FoVeated reendering, this shouldnt be a problem, your eyesight works just like the FoVeated reendering feature, you only have high resolution on the center of your vision so unless the eyetracking it's not working, you shouldnt even notice the drops on resolution that the feature does, then again, "double vision" sounds more like you are complaining about how the focus works on every VR headset, until we get something with variable focus.

You might be describing what I'm referring to. For example, I just tried the demo for Horizon. I noted that if I hold my glove in the centre of my field of vision, it's blurry, I can't focus on the details. It has the same focus as the background which is to say, it appears blurry and not sharp, like 720p resolution or something. Like my brain is telling me that this object should be in focus but no matter what I do with my eyes it never clicks in so to speak. This then causes a disconnect with my brain that feels like my vision when I've just woken up or rub my eyes.

Last edited:

Keihart

You might be describing what I'm referring to. For example, I just tried the demo for Horizon. I noted that if I hold my glove in the centre of my field of vision, it's blurry, I can't focus on the details. It has the same focus as the background which is to say, it appears blurry and not sharp, like 720p resolution or something. Like my brain is telling me that this object should be in focus but no matter what I do with my eyes it never clicks in so to speak. This then causes a disconnect with my brain that feels like my vision when I've just woken up or rub my eyes.
then it must be it, check this video of tested touring the Meta lab, in the time stamp there is a short clip demostrating the problem and then a couple of minutes later there is some hands on with some prototypes that try to tackle this and other stuff.

MastAndo

So, I think the PSVR2 has turned me into a VR convert. I want to experience more content in VR so I'm thinking of jumping on the PCVR bandwagon. The Meta Quest Pro just dropped $500 in cost, so I've got my eye on that one for the better lenses and controllers it has over the Quest 2.

If you own a high-end VR headset, how would you say your PSVR compares?

Last edited:

Romulus

So, I think the PSVR2 has turned me into a VR convert. I want to experience more content in VR so I'm thinking of jumping on the PCVR bandwagon. The Meta Quest Pro just dropped $500 in cost, so I've got my eye on that one for the better lenses and controllers it has over the Quest 2.

I would wait until Quest 3 or see what valve does next.

Ozriel

M$FT
Two questions for the community.

1. Are the Moss games self contained? Thinking of picking up Moss 2 - it’s the newer one and probably better. Anything I’m missing by skipping part one?

2. Got gifted a copy of GT7 (not a huge sim racing fan, i suck at them) but it’s the Japan region. My console and PSN are US. I know DLC is out of the question, but will I have any issues with the updates for the VR patch?

Ozriel

M$FT

I’d advise you wait for the Quest 3 vs getting the Quest Pro. It’ll be significantly cheaper, have many of the new features and be more than twice as powerful. Likely better battery life too.

Also probably better PCVR features.

Might be a while before it arrives, though. Possibly 6 months away. But worth the wait. It’s mobile hardware so the improved SoC will make it much better.

Last edited:
Add me to the "GT7 cockpits are blurry" camp. Every other game is fine (bar having my pistols up to my face in pistol whip), so I'm thinking it's a side effect of my brain trying to focus on "close" items that, in reality, are the same distance as everything else on a flat screen or Convergence insufficiency . You can train your eyes on this with a Brock String. In all honesty, if I bring my phone 4" from my face, it starts to blur and in pistol whip my guns are probably 5" from my face, but in reality, 2" from the cameras

Last edited:

Fredrik

then it must be it, check this video of tested touring the Meta lab, in the time stamp there is a short clip demostrating the problem and then a couple of minutes later there is some hands on with some prototypes that try to tackle this and other stuff.

Thanks for posting that video! Very interesting stuff all of it, didn’t realize Meta was that far ahead with research, some of the things they showed of beta things possibly arriving in a couple generations were wild. 20K nits headsets phew!

I am near-sighted and use lenses or glasses to improve my viewing of distant objects.
That probably means I don’t have to wear them in the headset, right? Since my eyes will only be focussing on the screen which is near my eyes?

Forsete

Gold Member
I am near-sighted and use lenses or glasses to improve my viewing of distant objects.
That probably means I don’t have to wear them in the headset, right? Since my eyes will only be focussing on the screen which is near my eyes?
The focus distance to the screens are about 1-2 meters away from what I understand.

I am near sighted as well and its blurry as hell in the headset without my glasses.

Soosa

Banned
Ok, so heres my first impressions from a first time VR user...

The only game I've tried so far is GT7 and after 2 weeks of hyperbole spouting from tech media I must say that I'm yet to be convinced.

I can only assume that the terms "crisp" and "clear" are in relation to where things used to be with VR because having not tried those older headsets, there isn't really anything crisp or clear from my GT7 experience.

I've spent a good deal of time adjusting my headset settings and I'm playing with a full racing wheel setup. So I'm more or less ready to be fully immersed....

3 things stand out:

1. Image clarity isn't what I expected. Now I wasn't expecting it to look like my TV, I'm not that naive but I expected to atleast be able to look around my dash and not feel like I've got double vision. I think people who are saying there's a "sweet spot" are really sucking down that copium because I feel like I've found my sweet spot and it's really hard to see how this is as impressive as people say it is. It feels very claustrophobic and clarity is severely lacking. Occasionally when something is right in the centre of my screen it almost appears clear but beyond that, it's really hard to not feel like I'm drunk driving.

2. The screen door effect is very much in play here. In sunny weather conditions it feels like my driver is wearing sunglasses with screen door lenses. Looking around the screen and feeling like there's this layer of texture between my eyes and the picture is very distracting.

3. Ghosting. Perhaps a symptom of this title being very focused of fast paced action, trying to focus on anything while driving has pretty severe ghosting, if you park up and try to focus on cars as they drive by its almost impossible to really see any particular detail as the ghosting is intense.

They say what you lack in clarity you make up for in immersion and I must say it's a pretty trippy experience seeing a picture in front of you with actual depth to it but I think once you get past that "wow" moment you start to notice all the short comings and limitations. It didn't take long for reality to set in. I just couldn't see why anyone would want to replace the 2D racing experience with this outside of a gimmick you get your friends to try once in awhile.

So overall, as a first impression, I think the tech is cool, having it track my room in real time and provide a depth map was neat and the setup process was pretty painless. Once I got into the driver's seat it was immediately apparent that this is not what I expected, despite trying to keep my expectations realistic in relation to the limitations of these headsets. There may be a return in my future but I'll keep trying to find the fun for now.
Yeah the point 2 sucks, mura/screendoor what ever you call it, is just too Bad.

Like you have a thin bag or something between your eyes and the Image.

On night scenes it is almost unplayable Bad. Like on kayak game at night it is just so bad that it kills the immersion. And because the effect isnt Constant, it is even more noticeable.

Like there are vertical stripes of little bit darker areas of mura/sde so when you look around, it just pops out like bag in your head.

I havent touched mine since first few days, maybe there are games in the future that work better for me. But anything with dark scenes are basically ruined because of the tech.

It is what it is, but for the price I guess it cant be better as tech isnt there yet.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I think for all those people who are having issues with blurriness etc with VR this is the sort of thing that'll probably solve it... At a cost no doubt, designed for the individual and not the masses

Inviusx

I think for all those people who are having issues with blurriness etc with VR this is the sort of thing that'll probably solve it... At a cost no doubt, designed for the individual and not the masses

I'm sure overtime this issue will be solved. My problem has come from the fact that you can't demo this hardware before you buy. No one I know owns this thing and they don't setup demo stations in store. I almost feel like they do this because people wouldn't be as impressed as the marketing or influencers make you think it is. I bought this headset with no prior experience in VR but I would say my decision was pretty heavily influenced by people saying how crisp and clear this thing was. There's no way to demonstrate the actual quality of the picture inside the unit without just going all in, which I regret a bit now.

I feel a bit duped to be honest and I wish reviewers were more accountable with how they represent this technology. Like I said in my previous post, I think it's fine to call it crisp and clear if that's followed up with a "in relation to older hardware" because it certainly doesn't look anything like a 4K TV or anything like that, it looks like I have my eyes pressed up against a 720p monitor.

I dont mean to sound negative I just feel a bit annoyed that I led myself down this road, it was an expensive experiment that I feel has backfired on me.

Last edited:

Keihart

Thanks for posting that video! Very interesting stuff all of it, didn’t realize Meta was that far ahead with research, some of the things they showed of beta things possibly arriving in a couple generations were wild. 20K nits headsets phew!
the HDR setup looks crazy, like pluggin a high tension powerline to your face .

wJ0SkRB.png

Last edited:

Fredrik

the HDR setup looks crazy, like pluggin a high tension powerline to your face .

wJ0SkRB.png
Heh yup I was worried for the poor journalist when he turned to view directly into the light.

And the flat lenses with variable zoom was pure sci-fi.

If VR can survive this bumpy startup phase, without burning all the bridges among potential customers by pushing out too much hardware and having too many walled gardens with mostly smaller games, then VR will be awesome in 5-10 years.
Sucks that I’m already old.

Darius87

I feel a bit duped to be honest and I wish reviewers were more accountable with how they represent this technology. Like I said in my previous post, I think it's fine to call it crisp and clear if that's followed up with a "in relation to older hardware" because it certainly doesn't look anything like a 4K TV or anything like that, it looks like I have my eyes pressed up against a 720p monitor.
put your face very close to 4K tv and tell me that it looks same as looking from a couch, because that's what you expecting from PSVR2 and yes it is eyes pressed up against a 720p 4K monitor and magnified thru lenses. it's your own fault for expecting quality as playing from couch looking at 4K tv no one elses i think you should know better how vr tech works before buying.

Minsc

Gold Member
Give us your impressions later. I'm considering buying this game one day.
Me too, I keep reading impressions of people having their best VR moment in this game. Specifically with the DLC. I wasn't interested at first, but it seems to impress people more than I'd have expected from a rhythm game, then again, that is the success story to Beat Saber in a nutshell so I shouldn't be surprised.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
There's like a 1001 potential causes of ghosting in almost every modern game on the market. VR assembly adds one or two more - but this description isn't really giving any clues if it's related to VR/hardware setup or it's just the way game looks & renders out of the box.
This is also one potential downside to having 'easy' conversions from flat to VR - in last decade the rendering pipelines have gone all in-with temporal-accumulation techniques, so basically everything we put on screen nowadays has a lag of multiple frames when in motion. It just gets obscured by modern displays (LCD/OLED etc.) that all have built-in motion blur to begin with. Ie. if your renderer is not properly designed for VR, you just move all the existing problems over - and there's nothing the HMD hw can do about it.

Kilau

You'll need your corrective lenses. It's funny how the screen is right in front of your eyes but the way the lenses focus it's actually far away. I have to wear my contacts or glasses. I'm interested in getting the custom prescription inserts when those are available because my contacts dry out so fast when playing VR and my glasses are not very comfortable to wear at the same time.

Markio128

Me too, I keep reading impressions of people having their best VR moment in this game. Specifically with the DLC. I wasn't interested at first, but it seems to impress people more than I'd have expected from a rhythm game, then again, that is the success story to Beat Saber in a nutshell so I shouldn't be surprised.
I’ve never played beat sabre, so I don’t know how it compares, but Synth Riders is amazing. Also, I wouldn’t normally listen to this kind of music, but in context of the game, the tunes are perfect and I’ve found myself shaking my booty on multiple occasions. The controllers are really good as well and are never to blame for me making any mistakes. I also love how you get a little rumble every time you hit a note, and then get a continuous rumble for the longer notes - it really helps with the immersion.

When I’m into a tune and doing well, I can’t help but boogey along and smile.

SilentUser

It's like digital crack. 10/10, would recommend. Banging tracks, looks great, nice little workout. One of those "Go on, one more go" games.
Thanks for sharing, I guess it won't be long before I buy it 😅 I think a title like this one would be really cool to introduce friends to VR too.
Just one last question, have you tried Beat Saber in any other VR before? They are direct competitors, right? Maybe I will wait to decided which one I buy when BS is available. The soundtrack of BS might be more... comercial?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
put your face very close to 4K tv and tell me that it looks same as looking from a couch, because that's what you expecting from PSVR2 and yes it is eyes pressed up against a 720p 4K monitor and magnified thru lenses. it's your own fault for expecting quality as playing from couch looking at 4K tv no one elses i think you should know better how vr tech works before buying.
Yeah I have tried this out and if you are close enough to a 4K TV that it covers your entire vision then the pixelation is basically the same as I see in my Quest 2. The previews were a bit dishonest, I was thinking maybe the OLED made the pixels less obvious somehow as they were saying there was no screendoor effect when I knew there was on my similar if not higher PPD Quest 2.

Thanks for sharing, I guess it won't be long before I buy it 😅 I think a title like this one would be really cool to introduce friends to VR too.
Just one last question, have you tried Beat Saber in any other VR before? They are direct competitors, right? Maybe I will wait to decided which one I buy when BS is available. The soundtrack of BS might be more... comercial?
I've not played beat sabre, but was looking forward to giving it a whirl on PSRV2. A few people said Synth Riders was not only a very good tide over, but arguably the better game. Glad I gave it a go.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I'm sure overtime this issue will be solved. My problem has come from the fact that you can't demo this hardware before you buy. No one I know owns this thing and they don't setup demo stations in store. I almost feel like they do this because people wouldn't be as impressed as the marketing or influencers make you think it is. I bought this headset with no prior experience in VR but I would say my decision was pretty heavily influenced by people saying how crisp and clear this thing was. There's no way to demonstrate the actual quality of the picture inside the unit without just going all in, which I regret a bit now.

I dont mean to sound negative I just feel a bit annoyed that I led myself down this road, it was an expensive experiment that I feel has backfired on me.

Tbf if the reviewers are like the majority of us in here who don't have a problem with the visuals, sweet spot, blurriness etc then how can they comment on it if all there seeing is a sharp image? I think the image is great, pin sharp tbh but if it's not for you simply send it back and get your money back

Tygeezy

I would probably wait for the quest 3. It’s going to have better hardware than the pro and you can use those pro controllers with standard quests. Hopefully they also add DisplayPort capability so we can do wired hookups with no compression.

I would probably wait for the quest 3. It’s going to have better hardware than the pro and you can use those pro controllers with standard quests. Hopefully they also add DisplayPort capability so we can do wired hookups with no compression.
I’m quite sure we can safely say that the Quest 3 will not have better hardware than the pro. You think that their 1100 dollar device will be worse than their next budget device?

reinking

Gold Member
I had my first "bad" PSVR2 experience last night. I had the same light source that I typically have on but for some reason I kept syncing out of game play. It stopped once I turned off that light and used a few lamps. I just found it really weird since I have used it several times with that same overhead light source.

SilentUser

I genuinely dislike most of influencers, everything is always so clickbaity (for good or for bad). Why would PSVR2 end PCVR, ffs?! That's not reasonable, nor necessary, as VR actually needs to have everyone on board to become more relevant and have a bigger market.

Crayon

Return it and get a 4k tv. Careful though, reviewers never mention how uncomfortable they are to wear.

Top Bottom