• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation YouTuber Mystic claims Sony is working on a new/updated PS2 emulator

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I believe it.

The fact that there has been 0 PS2 games so far in PS+ Premium catalog makes me think there is definitely something going on in the background.

PS2 emulation has already gotten so much better. They redid the emu for PS2(PCSX2) and it's much more lean, with better performance and lot's of graphical glitches are now fixed or gone. It even plays Silent Hill: Origins, stock(for me) without having to mess with settings, where; before you had to play with shitty display, or broken shadows that made the game look almost like a mosaic painting.

solidus12

I would love to have access to native PS3 games on my PS5 like Xbox. And be able to buy them if needed so they're not just on the network.
And I would love to be able to play my PS1, PS2, and PS3 discs on my PS5.

The original 60gb PS3 had full backwards compatibility, but it was hardware based and very expensive.

It’s such a shame that Sony strayed away from BC considering their past consoles were fully backwards compatible.

Let’s hope for the best.

RoboCain

At this point they should start remastering all those games into 4k 60FPS collections at full price. By the time the main sagas are covered, no one will bring up BC ever again.

I wonder how many people even have working PS2 discs anymore. Sure, there are collectors (such as yourself?) and DVDs have a pretty long lifespan but surely Sony can't have a big financial inventive to bother with disc support.

There is the goodwill/PR incentive.

I've got around 50 or so PS2 discs.

Last edited:
Don't have time so not watching it. What does he say?

And unless it's full BC that at the minimum matches PLAYSTATION 3 launch system (full disc support), it's a downgrade and a load of garbage.
I don't think anything can match the PS3 launch model as that just included a PS2 inside it, exceeding that would be incredibly impressive.

skit_data

Interesting to know Mystic has some kind of inside track on this stuff.
If there's anyone that deserves having some kind of behind the scenes access to Playstation it's him.

Drew1440

It's kinda obvious... They would have to add a disc reader capably of understanding the ps2 piracy protection... That not o Lu would add cost(those thing are ancient) and maybe that it's not even feasible.

If they just slap a emulator people will just play burned disc's for their favorite games.
It's possible, Sony just needs to update the drives firmware to add that capability. There was nothing stopping them from doing that with the PS4 but they didn't.

The last time we had those claims, it came from hiphop gamer who told us that PS5 would be fully BC with any PS. And we all know how it ends.

I call Mystic bullshit!

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Working on a PS2 emulator is hard.. everyone keeps getting so EMOTIONAL.

groucho_marx_1957.jpg

Last edited:

SimTourist

Look at Xbox BC program, beyond the actual technical implementation the bigger problem is licensing and publisher approvals. Look at how many years it took Xbox to get as many games as they could, I'm sure at this point their emulator is robust enough to play all Xbox 360 games ever made, but the legal roadblocks prevented them from continuing. I don't think Sony is interested in going through those hurdles for minimal financial gain.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
PS3 is near to impossible at this point. Only reverse engineering the PS3 CPU, but taking into account this new Jin about trashing their legacy.
Even the emulator for PC requires a loads of housepower and PS5/Series X struggling to run some games at high resolution and stable frame rate, besides their first party of course.

PS2 would be more believable. PS2 have a vast catalogue of games, PS2 can run PS1 games so you can both release PS1/PS2 games. If the rumors are right, Sony would fix their mix bag PS2 emulator on PS4 and even replace their horrible PS1 emulator since PS2 emulator would run PS1 games.
I think you are overestimating what a new PS2 emulator can bring to the table.

I don't expect a PS3 emulator to be strictly accurate, buy it's not like games made use of all it resources anyway.

We are talking about PS5 here. We should be able to have a emulator that can run some PS3 games at least. Why not focus on make emulators for platforms that have none?

Sometimes, seems like companies wait for the community to create competent emulators by itself so they have a starting point for their official ones.

diffusionx

Gold Member
PS3 is near to impossible at this point. Only reverse engineering the PS3 CPU, but taking into account this new Jin about trashing their legacy.
Even the emulator for PC requires a loads of housepower and PS5/Series X struggling to run some games at high resolution and stable frame rate, besides their first party of course.

PS2 would be more believable. PS2 have a vast catalogue of games, PS2 can run PS1 games so you can both release PS1/PS2 games. If the rumors are right, Sony would fix their mix bag PS2 emulator on PS4 and even replace their horrible PS1 emulator since PS2 emulator would run PS1 games.

The system requirements for RPCS3 are in line with PS5, and of course Sony should be able to figure it out more than a bunch of hobbyists.

PS2 ran PSX games by including the PSX CPU on the board (it was actually the IO chip). PS3 had a PSX emulator which worked great. If the PS4 had a horrible PSX emulator, it is because Sony doesn't give a shit, which is not too surprising.

Last edited:

Rayderism

They always say it's not cost effective to provide BC.....why don't they just sell the BC as an app to fund its development? And by BC, I don't mean some severely limited selection of digitally released games, I mean physical disk support.

But then, Sony cheaped-out on the disk drive (on PS4 and PS5) and they don't support CD's, which stops all PS1, and some PS2 games that still used CD's from ever being supported physically. How convenient.

Fake

We are talking about PS5 here. We should be able to have a emulator that can run some PS3 games at least. Why not focus on make emulators for platforms that have none?

I see you quote me without reading my reply.
PS5 hardware have nothing to do with PS3 form factor.
PS3 Cell CPU is very hard to be emulated even for high end PCs.
And WTF are you talking about 'not focus on make emulators'?
PS5 can run PS1 and PS2 emulators via BC right now.
The problem here is, the current PS1 and PS2 emulators provide by Sony are simple trash. Thats why this rumor got a little of base.

The system requirements for RPCS3 are in line with PS5, and of course Sony should be able to figure it out more than a bunch of hobbyists.

PS2 ran PSX games by including the PSX CPU on the board (it was actually the IO chip). PS3 had a PSX emulator which worked great. If the PS4 had a horrible PSX emulator, it is because Sony doesn't give a shit, which is not too surprising.

You shouldn't use system requirements as a base to talk about consoles. 'Requirements' on PC are not quite ideal for the console format, probably the 'recommended system requirements'.
As I mention, PS3 Cell CPU is very problematic. Digital Foundry already adressed that in not only one, but many DF Direct Weekly videos. Would require a loads of effort just to get a near perfect PS3 emulator and there is not 'brute force' factor this time as PS3 performance vary between game to game.

PS2 games on the other hand are very outdated in the resolution departament, even if they don't hit near perfect emulation they can use PS5 specs to simple brute force/v-sync uncap frame rate.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

It's funny to hear people defend Sony over this. " Not enough financial incentive", etc... you lick the boot and like the taste.

This is a fundamental problem with how Sony treats it's own software...and thusly it's customers. There seems to be ZERO concern over the preservation/accessibility/legacy of previous generations of software aside from being a check box in a subscription service that paywalls piecemeal BC support.

What happens if Sony decides that PS4 support doesn't provide "enough financial incentive" when they release PS6? Seems unlikely considering x86 and all that...but Sony has left that question mark hang high for all of their hardware for a long time now.

There are HUGE chunks of my PS library, digital and physical, not playable on my PS3/PS4/PS5, despite being fully capable of it. It's ridiculous, and has been for multiple generations now.

Gudji

PS6 releases in 2028: "Yo guys I have a uncle at sony that says they're working on an amazing PS2 and PS3 emulator". :messenger_tears_of_joy:

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
I see you quote me without reading my reply.
PS5 hardware have nothing to do with PS3 form factor.
PS3 Cell CPU is very hard to be emulated even for high end PCs.
And WTF are you talking about 'not focus on make emulators'?
PS5 can run PS1 and PS2 emulators via BC right now.
The problem here is, the current PS1 and PS2 emulators provide by Sony are simple trash. Thats why this rumor got a little of base.
Chill. I think you misunderstood. I'm not saying PS5 don't have emulators for PS1 or PS2. I'm saying no platform have emulators for PS3.

That's my rant, focus on getting emulator for PS3 because Sony is probably the only one with resources to do it. I rather have a emulator for PS3 games than having the emulators Sony improve by any amount really.

Fake

Chill. I think you misunderstood. I'm not saying PS5 don't have emulators for PS1 or PS2. I'm saying no platform have emulators for PS3.

Of course lol.

That's my rant, focus on getting emulator for PS3 because Sony is probably the only one with resources to do it. I rather have a emulator for PS3 games than having the emulators Sony improve by any amount really.

Again as I mention in my previous post, this require a loads of effort with IMO the current Playstation direction, driven by Jin Ryan, don't care about.

Microsoft don't did their BC 'because' they are our friends. PS4 popularity plus Xbox One inpopularity litelary forced them to be more consumer friendly, Phil talked long time ago about their solution for Xbox 360 BC, with as I mention once again require reverse engineering.

I always recommend folks to read the Digital Foundry article about how Microsoft did their Xbox 360 emulation for Xbox One.
The idea of translating the 360's tri-core 3.2GHz PowerPC CPU to six low-power x86 Jaguar cores seems like a herculean task - yet somehow the engineering team has delivered. It's not perfect in several cases, but the fact that the virtualisation works at all is a supremely impressive achievement.
As much I want PS3, is not current viable for Sony because their ceo don't want and don't care to put a decent effort over emulation.
I mean, look at the state of the PS1 emulator for PS5. Do you think that shit is decent?

Last edited:
Top Bottom