• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation YouTuber Mystic claims Sony is working on a new/updated PS2 emulator

spons

Gold Member
Should be easy to do for Sony, considering they have powerful hardware and the complete design documents of the PS2.
There must be another reason why they haven't pulled the trigger yet. Either licensing issues for games or Jim "nobody wants this" Ryan.

jm89

They had PS2 emulator in PS4. Today the fridges can emulate PS2. Talk about PS3.
Yeah ps3 would be the big one.

One positive is if he is right, then they are looking into emulating old games so maybe ps3 emulation from sony might not be farfetched.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
PSX disc/digital support and PS3 support is all I want. Since sony does absolutely nothing that I want these days they are prob going all in on PS2 Classics I'm pretty much done with PS2 at this point which IMO actually aged worse than PSX I find it hard to go back to seventh generation in general.

wvnative

Great news if true, but if it's anything like PS1/PSP, the library won't end up expanding all that much. Relying on Sony to get your classic fix is a fools errand, emulate or keep your PS2.

PSX disc/digital support and PS3 support is all I want. Since sony does absolutely nothing that I want these days they are prob going all in on PS2 Classics I'm pretty much done with PS2 at this point which IMO actually aged worse than PSX I find it hard to go back to seventh generation in general.
Never going to happen, PS5 can't read CDs, and I do not think it can feasibly run PS3 games.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
9QhCutb.jpg
9QhCutb.jpg

9QhCutb.jpg
9QhCutb.jpg

influwankers

wvnative

They really need to improve the PS1 emulator as well. I’d be happy with a PS2 emulator with those games being added to Premium.

I remember facepalming when I tried toy story 2 when the new service launched, and seeing buzz's spin meter not draw properly...

like you had near flawless emulation on fucking PS3.

Draugoth

Gold Member

For additional context, Mystic is a popular PlayStation YouTuber who is apparently well-connected with the industry, with loads of friends in game dev. He never leaks anything so the fact that he's doing this now makes me think he's quite sure about this.

Crayon

That would be kinda neat if I could put in my disks. I prefer to play my old games on original hardware but laziness can easily get the best of me. I suppose I would benefit from the games that are on plus. Anyway, I have no idea who this guy is so not holding my breath for anything.

Fake

Meanwhile, PS3 emulator...

PS3 is near to impossible at this point. Only reverse engineering the PS3 CPU, but taking into account this new Jin about trashing their legacy.
Even the emulator for PC requires a loads of housepower and PS5/Series X struggling to run some games at high resolution and stable frame rate, besides their first party of course.

PS2 would be more believable. PS2 have a vast catalogue of games, PS2 can run PS1 games so you can both release PS1/PS2 games. If the rumors are right, Sony would fix their mix bag PS2 emulator on PS4 and even replace their horrible PS1 emulator since PS2 emulator would run PS1 games.

Last edited:

hussar16

i know they dont want to but if it helps them get a up on xbox and their buyouts they might just be forced to do full compatibilty with ps2 and ps3

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The PS2 emulator on PS4 was complete dogshit. Multiple PS2 games are completely broken on PS5.

The PS3 had a pretty kick-ass PS2 emulator. Granted it ran native PS2 resolution etc, but it offered smoothing at least. The modding scene was able to hack it to make it compatible with even more games.

This guy is not an insider and he isn't worth listening to. He looks up news stories and then regurgitates them... There's a whole industry for this.

Gaming journalism is a joke, but he isn't even that...

i know they dont want to but if it helps them get a up on xbox and their buyouts they might just be forced to do full compatibilty with ps2 and ps3

The number of people who actually care about ps2 and ps3 compatability is like .001 percent... It gets a lot of buzz here on the forums, but even among the people who clamor for it, they aren't actually putting serious time in on the old games.

Should be easy to do for Sony, considering they have powerful hardware and the complete design documents of the PS2.
There must be another reason why they haven't pulled the trigger yet. Either licensing issues for games or Jim "nobody wants this" Ryan.

It's kinda obvious... They would have to add a disc reader capably of understanding the ps2 piracy protection... That not o Lu would add cost(those thing are ancient) and maybe that it's not even feasible.

If they just slap a emulator people will just play burned disc's for their favorite games.

sachos

It's so sad that they can't even match open source emulators capabilities. Their PS1 emulator should be able to upscale to 4K, fix perspective/polygon issues, have a "no dithering" option, different forms of texture filtering, etc.
I really hope they can get a PS2 emulator working too so i hope Mystic is right.
And it would be crazy if they could release a PS1/PS2 disc reader as an addon like they want to do with the rumored detachable disc drive.

Kdad

The number of people who actually care about ps2 and ps3 compatability is like .001 percent... It gets a lot of buzz here on the forums, but even among the people who clamor for it, they aren't actually putting serious time in on the old games.
Since we are pulling numbers from...where...I'd think its more than .001 percent....maybe even 1000s of times more. I just put away my PS3 a couple months ago to move on to PS4 games and I'm already thinking its time to hook that grillmaster back up.

Sleepwalker

It's kinda obvious... They would have to add a disc reader capably of understanding the ps2 piracy protection... That not o Lu would add cost(those thing are ancient) and maybe that it's not even feasible.

If they just slap a emulator people will just play burned disc's for their favorite games.
The OG PS3 already refused to read burned PS2 games, this is a non issue for them or at least should be easy to replicate.

Top Bottom