• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic removes JonTron from Yooka-Laylee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bastables

Sure buddy, anyway, what i meant is that both the style and the good-feel nature of the game is not something i would want to associate to someone like JonTron

Yeah mate it can't be because associating with white supremacist is fucked up, it's about the optics...

I just watched Boogie's video response to all this "I don't agree with MOST of what Jon said, but I certainly don't fault him for trying on the idea."

Like... what?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyU5Bspq9ok

I think I like Boogie, yet there is something strange about him. He seems too "both sides" and "let's sing koombaya" sometimes. And then he whines that youtubers who do and say awful things are getting under "some undeserved fire"

About PewDewPie
"The WSJ attacked him saying look at this guy, he is antisemitic, his jokes are antisemitic, let's destroy his career, let's take him down, let's make him a household enemy"

No, he tried to normalize hatred in the worst way possible. The back-lash is perfectly PewdiePie's own doing! WSJ just called the attention on him.

"But we YouTubers, we know better, ... we know that what he was doing was tasteless"
That thin red line. "Tasteless" no shit, but hey he is our pal, let's defend him

"He didn't fit the narrative because he is not real"
How the fuck would we know? We are not his friends, we only go by what he does and what he says.

About Colin Moriarty
"He did some taste-less jokes on twitter, during woman's day" and then proceeds to minimize the protest...
"[Colin's moriarty "joke"] is kind of old humor I grew up with, kind of tongue in cheek, you don't really mean it. Just a funny concept"
Yeah tons of fun.
"They broke up from IGN and wanted to earn a good living doing what they love"
Should have thought about that PR shit-storm before saying idiotic things eh? It's not like Colin didn't have enough of a warning.
"These publications are now lambasting Colin"
Yeah, and rightly so.
"No women are the face of KFG"
A rightful criticism in my eyes
"They hate [KFG} for doing what they do"
NO, they hate COLIN because of what he said and how he didn't really apologize at all. TONS of people work in the gaming journalist world, with patreons and fund money and they don't seem to be hated by the media.

About JonTron
"JonTron is a friend... I never knew he had the opinions he had"
What a good friend you were. People are usually more transparent when the camera is off... I don't believe for one second Boogie didn't at least know some bit of his racism.
"Maybe he is learning new things, trying new hats"
Learning racism? Trying the asshole hat? How about trying to talk to your friend to bring him to be more tolerant instead of enabling his idiocy?
"It's not going to change my opinion of Jon"
It would change my opinion of a friend of mine if they suddenly became shithole racists, even if slightly.
"He said some things about immigration and people of color and things the he feels might be true and discuss this stuff"
I hate this shit. Going on racists tirades IS NOT discussing. Spewing bullshit arguments is not in the level of intelligent discussion about immigration. Its being a racist dumb-ass.
"I don't agree with MOST of what he said, but certainly I don't blame him for trying the idea... and thinking for himself instead of swallowing and following a narrative"
For trying the idea of being a racist?
Being an understanding, multi-cultural, world citizen is now put in the level of a sheep, following some narrative.
"It's no surprise that people would turn on him"
The evil big-journal machine attacks again. It seems to attack only racists and sexists at this point though.

"The point is these people... are feeling the teeth now"
Good. I hope more influencers become afraid of the consequences of being a bigoted asshole in the XXI century even if they don't want to.
"These people are vindictive now"
Living in a racist sexist country is uncomfortable and can make you be a littleeee on edge.
"I have a mortgage to pay, maybe I'll play with my pokemon cards"
Good, Boogie, because you are not helping yourself by supporting those guys
"There are people who are addicted to destroying people"
While that is true, I think it's pretentious to think that YouTubers were not subject to their public. Most singers and actors don't go around spewing their propaganda on their shows or movies. They can be politically active yes, as any private citizen has a right to do, but people don't pay tickets to see Celine Dion talk about how black people suck. They want to see her sing. People do not want youtubers to use their VIDEOGAME platforms to be spewed on racist, sexist bullshit. YouTubers should better learn NOW that they are subject to their public. Take Jim Sterling and the whole 7/10 debacle. While it's a shame that he got DDOS, most of his audience did not leave or denounced him. They understood that it was the work of isolated individuals.
Boogie's attempt to pass the backlash of these three guys with "some people" as if they were a vocal minority is naive at best and shows a level of entitlement not seen in other media.
Don't want your career terminated? Don't say idiotic shit on your entertaining content. Simple as that.

Also, note how all the three guys he defends are:
1. White
2. Male
3. Straight
4. American
5. Stubborn and did not apologize.

Well no shit they are becoming hated by the vocal minorities. They do not understand their plight. I believe Boogie is falling pray of his white straight manliness and he doesn't even realize it. A shame, considering his own minority status.

MCN

Banned
If they're going to replace his voice, use Clint from LGR. I want a Yooka-Laylee character that sounds like Duke Nukem.

Fair play to Playtonic for this.

Considering the "voice acting" amounts to Jontron going "bork bork bork" or "gyuk gyuk" or some nonsense they could probably leave it in and nobody would know any better lol

Intel_89

Fair play to Playtonic for this.

Considering the "voice acting" amounts to Jontron going "bork bork bork" or "gyuk gyuk" or some nonsense they could probably leave it in and nobody would know any better lol

People already knew about him being a VA in the game so sticking their heads in the sand, taking in consideration their own stance, wasn't an option.

Hey guys I just wanted to drop in here and say that I don't know what this Jon guy said and I don't want to watch any videos of the debate or on the subject or read over transcripts or even summaries of what was said and am woefully ignorant on how free speech actually works from a legal perspective in the U.S. let alone the U.K. and I claim to have no political or emotional stake in the discussion but I think it's kind of scary that this guy was kicked from this project just for having an opinion. This seems like a real first amendment issue that this guy can't just have an opinion and not lose his job over it. Think about the damage this kind of censorship does to art and free speech. I think the answer is somewhere in the middle because being racist is bad but being too not racist is just as bad.

Is it okay if I steal that last bit for a rainy day? So good.

Intel_89

Why are all of these youtubers suffering from mental health issues? Even AngryJoe is suffering form that shit

It's easier to experience people mentally breaking down when they constantly expose themselves online or on social media, I speak for myself when I say that I've had some wild mood swings at points in my life due to certain circumstances. With that said I'm not trying to excuse them for their issues.

And now that I think of it, I believe that boogie has affirmed multiple times that he has some kind of mental disorder.

Well no shit they are becoming hated by the vocal minorities. They do not understand their plight. I believe Boogie is falling pray of his white straight manliness and he doesn't even realize it. A shame, considering his own minority status.

Dude got himself banned from neogaf over related stuff during the height of gamergate, so none of this is surprising.

When people actually confronted him with his pussyfooting en enabling of gross stuff he started posting strange pseudo-suicidal stuff on gaf.

Most of the people going out batting for Jon have done similar stuff in the past from what I can tell.

takriel

Also.

Why are all of these youtubers suffering from mental health issues? Even AngryJoe is suffering form that shit
Maybe people that are more prone to mental disorders are drawn to such platforms? Or maybe these platforms are directly responsible for their disorders? We won't know until someone runs a causal study on this.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
TheBitBlock is still at it...

josh_b.png

And apparently, all of us on Gaf are a moronic minority

josh_A.png

Are all gaming Youtubers required to be pieces of shit?

"It's not going to change my opinion of Jon"
It would change my opinion of a friend of mine if they suddenly became shithole racists, even if slightly.

Not specifically related to Boogie, but I wonder if this has made things awkward between Ethan and Hila from H3H3 and Jon. Because Hila is Hispanic, I think? Were his comments specifically directed towards Mexicans or South American folk at large?

If they're going to replace his voice, use Clint from LGR. I want a Yooka-Laylee character that sounds like Duke Nukem.

They should use Ben from WhatCulture, who sounds like Matt Berry. Or better yet, Matt Berry himself if he's a fan of videogames!

Not specifically related to Boogie, but I wonder if this has made things awkward between Ethan and Hila from H3H3 and Jon. Because Hila is Hispanic, I think? Were his comments specifically directed towards Mexicans or South American folk at large?

They should use Ben from WhatCulture, who sounds like Matt Berry. Or better yet, Matt Berry himself if he's a fan of videogames!

Ethan and Hila are jews

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Ethan and Hila are jews

Indeed, Ethan did "like" his follow up video on Twitter, though. So, I dunno what that says about him...

JonTron said that most Mexicans are on welfare and end up committing crimes and then he talked about us trying to turn America into Mexico. He said a bunch of other really racist shit about Mexicans, too.

JonTron's racism is not racist, he equally hates every POC.

TheBitBlock is still at it...

josh_b.png

The fucking coward must have deleted this tweet, as he only has one on 23rd March.

He must be a Nintendo partner, right? Is there a way to complain and get them to see this bullshit he is spewing?

Ethan is american and Hila is from Israel. Both jews yeah.

Ah, I didn't realise she was middle-eastern - I wrongly thought she was Hispanic. Hope I didn't offend anyone.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I wonder if people can pressure A Hat in Time to do the same. It's releasing this year but they still have time. I've tweeted then but doubt they acknowledge it.

Wait, is he in that too?

The playtonic forums is a goddamn mess but I guess I'm not surprised by much anymore. The internet is full of some really loud, shitty people and it's unavoidable no matter where you go.

Anti-white tv and movies? Maybe switch over to some regular channels once in a while, instead of just Fox News dude.

The hate is incredible. These people really think they are under attack or something. While having one of the most comfortable lives ever, talking about some stupid shit to a webcam and just looking at the money coming in. Disgusting.

Are all gaming Youtubers required to be pieces of shit?

I don't know. The guys at GameXplain always seem like genuinly fun people to me and they're one of the few youtube channels I still bother with these days because of that.

Please don't tell me they're actually terrible.

MCN

Banned
I don't know. The guys at GameXplain always seem like genuinly fun people to me and they're one of the few youtube channels I still bother with these days because of that.

I subscribe to the following gaming-related Youtubers:

Ashens
Austin Evans
Beta64
DidYouKnowGaming
Emma Blackery
GameXplain
Gaming Historian
Jim Sterling
Kim Justice
Larry Bundy Jr
Lazy Game Reviews
Lord Karnage
Nostalgia Nerd
pannenkoek2012 (and his other channel, UncommentatedPannen)
ThatOneShowFUN
The 8-bit Guy
The Easter Egg Hunter
Whatculture Gaming

Thus far, I don't believe any of those have revealed themselves to be shitheads (please inform me if they do).

Andre from GameExplain had a falling out with Josh "anti-white racism is real now excuse me as I harrass this black YouTuber" Thomas after having an argument over his totally-not-racist views on immigration.

They used to collaborate on videos but not anymore.

DJKhaled

Wait, is he in that too?

The playtonic forums is a goddamn mess but I guess I'm not surprised by much anymore. The internet is full of some really loud, shitty people and it's unavoidable no matter where you go.
Yep he voices a penguin in a hat in time. Sucks be used I've already bought and played a lot of the game.

jholmes

Ashens
Austin Evans
Beta64
DidYouKnowGaming
Emma Blackery
GameXplain
Gaming Historian
Jim Sterling
Kim Justice
Larry Bundy Jr
Lazy Game Reviews
Lord Karnage
Nostalgia Nerd
ThatOneShowFUN
The 8-bit Guy
The Easter Egg Hunter
Whatculture Gaming

Thus far, I don't believe any of those have revealed themselves to be shitheads (please inform me if they do).

He ditched his fandom of my beloved Blue Jays so he could bandwagon hard on the Kansas City Royals in time for their World Series years.

Seriously though I met him and he's a nice enough dude.

MCN

Banned
So much for the tolerant left.

Being tolerant does not mean tolerating poison. Anyone who uses the term "SJW" unironically or expresses any kind of alt-right (read: racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic etc) sensibility should be cast out from society and shipped off to a small island. In space.

Moosichu

Being tolerant does not mean tolerating poison. Anyone who uses the term "SJW" unironically or expresses any kind of alt-right (read: racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic etc) sensibility should be cast out from society and shipped off to a small island. In space.

I'm pretty sure that was a joke. It's a meme at this point.

dmcAxle

Neo Member
Anytime someone is supporting the removal of Jontron, they're often called neogaf members.

Neat that this forum has become a boogeyman for these people.

Andre from GameExplain had a falling out with Josh "anti-white racism is real now excuse me as I harrass this black YouTuber" Thomas after having an argument over his totally-not-racist views on immigration.

They used to collaborate on videos but not anymore.

Yeah I remember. He earned a lot of respect from me over how he handled that.

Ashens
Austin Evans
Beta64
DidYouKnowGaming
Emma Blackery
GameXplain
Gaming Historian
Jim Sterling
Kim Justice
Larry Bundy Jr
Lazy Game Reviews
Lord Karnage
Nostalgia Nerd
ThatOneShowFUN
The 8-bit Guy
The Easter Egg Hunter
Whatculture Gaming

I've bolded the ones that I'm familiar with, and I don't foresee coming out as being massive arseholes or anything. Particularly Jim, Kim and Lord Karnage.

Is it okay if I steal that last bit for a rainy day? So good.

Go ahead. Honestly I wrote that as a generic response to throw in the face of all those people who show up to the threads about JonTron who say they have no interest in JonTron or what he said but are very concerned about people being upset about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom