• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic removes JonTron from Yooka-Laylee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed, Ethan did "like" his follow up video on Twitter, though. So, I dunno what that says about him...

I think Ethan is in a tough spot here. On the one hand, Jon is one of his best friends and he wants to show support, on the other hand he knows that Jon said some insane things.
To be honest, I would not be surprised if Ethan tries to talk some sense into him but he does not want to do it on a public forum.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
and he wants to show support

See this is the crazy part. Even if it's "your friend", why on earth would you show "support" for flat-out racist, horrible views?

If a friend of mine would come out as a legit racist I would do a lot of things, but "supporting" him with his/her views wouldn't be one of them.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Anytime someone is supporting the removal of Jontron, they're often called neogaf members.

Neat that this forum has become a boogeyman for these people.

Alright guys, next step: Let's get C&C back on track.
Also don't forget to vote on the next developer we will turn into an SJW virtue signaling white knight with our magic powers, vote ends on Monday. Don't forget to keep a chicken head ready.

Ms.Galaxy

Also don't forget to vote on the next developer we will turn into an SJW virtue signaling white knight with our magic powers, vote ends on Monday. Don't forget to keep a chicken head ready.

I lost my chicken head, can I use a pig head instead?

(I do love how the alt-right fear everyone and anyone who criticize them, and yet we're suppose to be the "cucks".)

MrBadger

Anytime someone is supporting the removal of Jontron, they're often called neogaf members.

The narrative is that Playtonic was forced by NeoGAF to remove Jontron...because it's just not possible that they saw what he said and decided for themselves to remove him.

In their world, nobody really gives a shit about racism and companies only make these kinds of decisions if the ess jay dubyas pressure them into it.

MCN

Banned

I reckon we go for the big kahuna now. We have the power.

260px-200px-Shigeru_Miyamoto_cropped.jpg

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Reading a couple of threads on the steam forums (I know, I know) it is FASCINATING how many posts include a variation of the phrase "I don't know what Jon said but..." or "I don't know what the alt-right is but..."

I lost my chicken head, can I use a pig head instead?

No, last time we tried that...well let's just say we don't talk about Silicon Knights anymore.

RRockman

Banned

Yeah it's always been. There are ENTIRE forums full of salty people that call us rude names and pick apart our posts with rather unsavory language. I popped into these sites once before, thinking who has the time to complain about gtoup of strangers complaining on the internet? It does seem like many eyes are on this fourm, good and bad.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
This is pretty fucking hilarious. Right wing bigot who buys in to the power of the market =, gets told that the market does not want him anymore. Ha ha.

Ms.Galaxy

Is being against white supremacy/ bigotry at the genetic level an exclusively left thing? Do minorities on the right not have any stake in the negative effects of bigotry?

Nah, they're one of "good ones", at least that's what the white supremacy apologists tell me.

The internet at large (Twitter, Reddit, GameFAQs, YouTube, etc) is filled with people who absolutely hate us. They think we're SJWs, or a vocal minority, or Sony shills, or anything they need to fit their narrative. When they want to insist something is not as it is, they pin everything on NeoGAF.

I can't tell you how many times I've been on a gaming subreddit or a Twitter thread or something and seen people pissed because NeoGAF is ruining something. Or they got banned "for having an opinion."

When I was banned briefly, I took it really hard because I felt lumped in with the same people who were banned from GAF for being pedantic racists or narcissistic misogynists. It made me never want to get banned again. Hanging out on Reddit for two weeks is a fate worse than death. Just kill me next time.

There was a Sony account that was active last year called "lolNeoGAF" that only existed to send hate mail to GAF members. It's probably been banned by now. I got hate mail for calling GamerGaters terrorists. Some people hate NeoGAF so much that they just lurk here and read what we're saying and seethe and moan about how terrible we are.

There's probably a thread about us on KIA right now.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
Nicely done, Playtonic. It's better to distance themselves from that mess and not damage the Yooka-Laylee product. Looking forward to get my copy of the game!

I subscribe to the following gaming-related Youtubers:

Ashens
Austin Evans
Beta64
DidYouKnowGaming
Emma Blackery
GameXplain
Gaming Historian
Jim Sterling
Kim Justice
Larry Bundy Jr
Lazy Game Reviews
Lord Karnage
Nostalgia Nerd
pannenkoek2012 (and his other channel, UncommentatedPannen)
ThatOneShowFUN
The 8-bit Guy
The Easter Egg Hunter
Whatculture Gaming

Thus far, I don't believe any of those have revealed themselves to be shitheads (please inform me if they do).

Apparently, Jim Sterling used to be a sexist douchebag, but he came to his senses. He's not just hiding that side of himself either, as he's acknowledged his past in interviews and such.

fester

Banned

Ashens
Austin Evans
Beta64
DidYouKnowGaming
Emma Blackery
GameXplain
Gaming Historian
Jim Sterling
Kim Justice
Larry Bundy Jr
Lazy Game Reviews
Lord Karnage
Nostalgia Nerd
pannenkoek2012 (and his other channel, UncommentatedPannen)
ThatOneShowFUN
The 8-bit Guy
The Easter Egg Hunter
Whatculture Gaming

Thus far, I don't believe any of those have revealed themselves to be shitheads (please inform me if they do).

Just wanted to add Jeremy Parish to that list. I dared a glance at his Twitter account recently and looked like he was fighting the good fight. His content is always top notch, too.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently, Jim Sterling used to be a sexist douchebag, but he came to his senses. He's not just hiding that side of himself either, as he's acknowledged his past in interviews and such.

Yup. People grow, well, some of them. I most probably said some horrible things years and years ago as well. There's still a chance for Jontron to genuinely regret his shit, I guess, but the more you dive into the racist cesspools on the internet, the easier it'll be to just not.

I am pretty impressed with them. Overall a move like this has more risks than advantages but they stuck with principle and went forward with this announcement. Good on them.

aravuus

It's fucking hilarious tbh

The fact that there are legit communities just for bitter little manbabies to whine about GAF makes it even funnier

They make me feel like the most well-rounded dude in the world

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Aw, JB pics remind me of Australia, such a cool store when I've been there :D

Alienfan

Yup. People grow, well, some of them. I most probably said some horrible things years and years ago as well. There's still a chance for Jontron to genuinely regret his shit, I guess, but the more you dive into the racist cesspools on the internet, the easier it'll be to just not.

This 100%. If Jon Tron did genuinely apologize in a big way, accepted the consequences and showed signs that he had changed as a person, I'd give him another chance. But I want none of this fake apologizing / shifting the blame to the media that Pewdiepie and other youtubers usually do (Boogie + TotalBiscuit looking at you). They need to accept ignorance, what God awful thing they said, be prepared to learn from it and apologize.

Violet_0

Banned

I'm still in my 20s okay, I'm not even that old

SalvaPot

Call me naive, but I believe people can change for the better. I like Jontron's content but I honestly think what he said was horrible and stupid, specially if he truly believes that. He deserves all the shit thrown at him.

On the other hand, instead of ostracizing him from the community, a community in that he is a very big deal even now, proven by how much media attention this whole thing gave him, his friends and even his community should aspire to educate him and show him better. I don't agree with the notion that shitheads can't stop been shitheads. Some can't, of course, but I think everyone deserves a second chance if they are willing to take it.

A good example is Jim Sterling as mentioned above, he changed his mind and now he is a poster boy for favorable discussion when it comes to sexism in the gaming community. What is not to say Jon can be talked and educated to realize the errors of his ways.

I am not defending him and I sure as hell not supporting him, he is not my personal friend and I know of him are the hours I dedicated to listening to his content, but I think we all have know people who had terrible notions. At least personally I have been able to educate a few of them and be able to change their perspective, even a little bit helps.

But it really depends on him I guess and only time will tell. His response video was a non-apology for sure but that is the obvious course of action when you have fucked up so badly. I won't be surprised if we see a real apology down the line when things have calmed down and the eye is not on him, so he can really let it sink in.

America is all kinds of fucked up right now and its really hard to know who to trust, and if there is something I know is that people usually trust those who are nicer to them, even if they are huge assholes to everyone else. Its hard to see in the bigger scope of things and its hard to relate to those who have it worst than you if you don't make an effort to see them or be there.

The internet makes it specially easy to lose yourself in a single, tailored for you, mentality. And it makes you lose empathy. If something sounds weird you erase it away. If something sounds good you can find more of it, even if its not true. Its funny how the world of possibilities brought fort by the internet is so overwhelming that its just easier to find a nice, warm echo chamber and rest in it.

As a fan of Jontron's work I hope he is able to realize how much he fucked up and why and how much his ignorance has an effect in people, and I hope he has close friends that can and want to talk with him and sort it all, but of course, this is all in an ideal world. He should realize his viewpoint is wrong and misinformed, and he should keep on doing videos, because they are funny and I am one of those people that can divorce their work from their personal opinions.

And this is too long.

SomTervo

I have my reservations about Jim, but honestly he's a shining beacon for what could hopefully happen to a lot of people like JonTron in the future.

People can and do change.

If we don't accept that people can grow or change, then the fight is pointless. You're not trying to convince those who agree, but those who don't. People like Jon aren't irredeemable, never treat anyone who isn't able to argue their point as a "lost cause", but this is where Jon will learn how consequence of actions works, Playtonic don't want to work with someone who holds these views and shouldn't be forced to. If JonTron can change, really change, then Playtonic may work with him in the future.

NotLiquid

Call me naive, but I believe people can change for the better. I like Jontron's content but I honestly think what he said was horrible and stupid, specially if he truly believes that. He deserves all the shit thrown at him.

On the other hand, instead of ostracizing him from the community, a community in that he is a very big deal even now, proven by how much media attention this whole thing gave him, his friends and even his community should aspire to educate him and show him better. I don't agree with the notion that shitheads can't stop been shitheads. Some can't, of course, but I think everyone deserves a second chance if they are willing to take it.

A good example is Jim Sterling as mentioned above, he changed his mind and now he is a poster boy for favorable discussion when it comes to sexism in the gaming community. What is not to say Jon can be talked and educated to realize the errors of his ways.

I am not defending him and I sure as hell not supporting him, he is not my personal friend and I know of him are the hours I dedicated to listening to his content, but I think we all have know people who had terrible notions. At least personally I have been able to educate a few of them and be able to change their perspective, even a little bit helps.

But it really depends on him I guess and only time will tell. His response video was a non-apology for sure but that is the obvious course of action when you have fucked up so badly. I won't be surprised if we see a real apology down the line when things have calmed down and the eye is not on him, so he can really let it sink in.

America is all kinds of fucked up right now and its really hard to know who to trust, and if there is something I know is that people usually trust those who are nicer to them, even if they are huge assholes to everyone else. Its hard to see in the bigger scope of things and its hard to relate to those who have it worst than you if you don't make an effort to see them or be there.

The internet makes it specially easy to lose yourself in a single, tailored for you, mentality. And it makes you lose empathy. If something sounds weird you erase it away. If something sounds good you can find more of it, even if its not true. Its funny how the world of possibilities brought fort by the internet is so overwhelming that its just easier to find a nice, warm echo chamber and rest in it.

As a fan of Jontron's work I hope he is able to realize how much he fucked up and why and how much his ignorance has an effect in people, and I hope he has close friends that can and want to talk with him and sort it all, but of course, this is all in an ideal world. He should realize his viewpoint is wrong and misinformed, and he should keep on doing videos, because they are funny and I am one of those people that can divorce their work from their personal opinions.

And this is too long.

I want to hope he can redeem and educate himself. If he does, I welcome it.

I just don't have any reason to expect him to actually do so after the last few years. He's surrounded himself by some of the most lackadaisical people, fans and personalities alike, who give him pats on the backs for his crappy displays of attitude and he refuses to disassociate himself with his ego because his cognitive dissonance is off the charts.

Man. If there's one thing about that infamous altercation between Jon and Neil Cicierega that I wish Jon took to heart the most from someone he apparently "admired" it wasn't the schadenfreude of Jon's praise just bouncing off of him, but Neil's comment that it's never been his intention to outright dismiss someone that points out poor form on his part. To this date that still isn't something Jon gets. To me that was the start of it going downhill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom