• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Please Help) PS4 produces Blank/Black flicker on start-up w/ ASUS MX279H

Auctopus

Okay, I'll keep this as simple as possible.

My current monitor setup is an ASUS MX279H with my Mac Mini in HDMI 1 and my PS4 in HDMI 2.

I was playing Witcher 3 earlier before shutting my PS4 down. The PS4 shut down correctly however upon starting it up later, I was met with a black flickering screen that freezes my monitor i.e. I can't even switch input channel.

I searched Google and found a PS community post that informed me to plug it in to another TV/Monitor and uncheck HDCP. I did so and successfully started the PS4 up again. I went back to check HDCP again but as soon as I did, the monitor immediately reverted back to the black flickering.

If I have HDCP off, there are several PS features that I am missing out on such as Netflix. However, my PS4 doesn't even want to appear if it's on.

My PS4 was working perfectly fine on startup, gaming and netflix just yesterday.

Has ANYONE encountered this before and found a long-term fix? Please?

SirDgby

Neo Member
total shot in the dark, but when I've had HDCP issues in the past I've found unplugging the monitor for 10 seconds or so sometimes helps.

best of luck

Auctopus

total shot in the dark, but when I've had HDCP issues in the past I've found unplugging the monitor for 10 seconds or so sometimes helps.

best of luck

Thanks for the reply. I've done this and unfortunately, it goes straight back to the flickering.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
I literally got that yesterday. I thought my PS4 was broken. The issue was resolved by unplugging the monitor.

SirDgby

Neo Member
can't hurt to try both... they need to completely lose power and drop whatever state they might be stuck in.

Auctopus

This worked for me as well. Try unplugging it from power for as much as 2-3 minutes though, to completely rule it out.

I literally got that yesterday. I thought my PS4 was broken. The issue was resolved by unplugging the monitor.

can't hurt to try both... they need to completely lose power and drop whatever state they might be stuck in.

This worked guys, thanks so much. Any idea why it happens? Seems to be an issue with some ASUS monitors despite their HDCP compatibility.

Vex_

Banned
This worked guys, thanks so much. Any idea why it happens? Seems to be an issue with some ASUS monitors despite their HDCP compatibility.

I can confirm it isnt ASUS monitors only. It used to happen with my samsung TV.

It works, but not sure why it works.

No idea, it only happened to me once, recently, on my ancient 5 yr old Dell S2409W 1080p monitor, but it freaked me out.

markshneider

Neo Member
I have been experiencing this on my Samsung TV recently. PS4 black screen with flickering. Solved it purchasing a new HDMI cable, one with high specs. Somewhat, the vanilla one that came with it and older cables that I have seems to be working inconsistently. Dunno if it's directly related, but it definitely solved my problem so far.

Is Deep Color in the settings turned to Automatic of Off? I know setting it to Off has fixed wierd flickering issued for some people.

Top Bottom