• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click Adventure Thread 2017 - Bigger Than Ever Before!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TripleSun

Yeah I snapped and restarted Deponia 1 since I don't have the cash to throw out for the new one just yet. I will not bat an eyelash if I have to walkthrough as I've probably forgotten some of the crazy stuff in these games. Man how I missed this world.

Enjoy doomsday guys, looks amazing!

Mr_Zombie

*Especially that Downfall tie-in. A ~20 minute portion of The Cat Lady is pure nonsense to anyone that hasn't played it (like me).

I disagree. I haven't played Downfall yet (I'm waiting for the remake) and only learned about the tie-in after I finished the game. And yet I enjoyed the portion. It was creepy and surreal like a lot of elements in the game so I didn't even consider it being out of place.

Mr_Zombie

I know, I already have it on my wishlist. But the time, man. The time and an already huge backlog make me delay buying it. :(

Porcupine

One hour into Deponia Doomsday. It's really great so far, a lot of 4th wall breaking and jokes about the previous 3 games.
It's just one place under The Division in the Topseller list on steam :)

Tizoc

Those gog bonuses look sweet for shardlight xp
Regardless looking forward to playing it next week

epmode

Ordering straight from Wadjet Eye has gotten me Steam extras in the past so I think you're good. Wouldn't hurt to send an email to the devs though.

Tizoc

Will do, btw I'll be doing the Shardlight OT unless someone stepped up beforehand?
Any subtitle ideas too btw?

rusteepot

Pay $1 or more to get these Steam games!

Face Noir (STEAM) + :tradingcard:
Heroes & Legends: Conquerors of Kolhar (STEAM) + :tradingcard:
Lost Civilization (STEAM)

Pay $1.99 or more (ONLY FIRST 24h) and get all 9 AWESOME STEAM GAMES!

Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller - Season One + OST Vol 1 (STEAM) + :tradingcard:
The Last Door - Collector's Edition (STEAM) + :tradingcard:
Quest for Infamy (STEAM) + :tradingcard:
Morningstar: Descent to Deadrock (STEAM) + :tradingcard:
Moebius: Empire Rising (STEAM) + :tradingcard:
League of Patriots Season Pass (STEAM) + :tradingcard:

Pretty good PnC bundle, though I have half of the games myself. Probably putting in the 1.99 for Moebius, LoP and Morningstar.

https://www.indiegala.com/phoenix

RAIDEN1

I know the demo has been just been released for Shard-light but I am stuck on one puzzle in the demo early on:
Where exactly is the code you need to enter on the keypad on the reactor? I've been looking around the room, and its not immediately obvious where the code is???

If anyone has completed the demo and can help with this query that would be great, thanks!

Card Boy

Banned
Tried playing Beneath a Steel Sky on my Surface 2 Pro but touch controls or Pen wont work as mouse jumps to the outside of the screen. Any touch friendly games out there on PC?

RPS reviews Deponia: Doomsday.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/03/03/deponia-doomsday-review/

JohnWalker said:
The horrible Deponia series will not go away. Even after concluding its trilogy with a fairly final ending, somehow the repulsive Rufus is back once more in Deponia Doomsday [official site] to insult, demean and spoil your time. I bet you can’t guess wot I think:

What a wretched turd of a game. The previous Deponia trilogy was an unpleasant point-and-click graphic adventure series of almost impressively diminishing returns, that descended ever further into embarrassing, tawdry, sexist and arguably racist crap. It’s a story about an unpleasant arsehole called Rufus, who lives on a trash planet that’s about to be destroyed, and dreams of reaching the idyllic floating city of Elysium.

[..]

Clearly the Deponia series is loved by enough people for them to keep making more of them, so I’m sure this will be as gleefully received as the rest. But it’s a nasty, stupid, and most damningly of all, badly constructed adventure game. The animations and art are lovely as ever, the music’s great, most of the voice actors are decent enough, but good grief, please, no more. Just make it stop.

John Walker doing gods work again

Not really. I mostly avoid his advice when it comes to this genre. Not that I have any interest in Deponia, but there are great games I would have missed if I had followed his reviews.

There’s just too much hyperbole in his reviews. Especially when it comes to puzzles, he seems to have zero patience.

And even when I do agree with him, I despice the tone he uses, and his obnoxious arrogance.

I don't disagree with him about Deponia. I thought the first one was... ok? But I couldn't get more than an hour or two into the second one before shaking my head and walking away.

That said, John is pretty over the top at this point. He seems to delight in hating things with a passion. Maybe it's cathartic.

I don't disagree with him about Deponia. I thought the first one was... ok? But I couldn't get more than an hour or two into the second one before shaking my head and walking away.

That said, John is pretty over the top at this point. He seems to delight in hating things with a passion. .

He does. He's actively finding topics to get to complain, like his article about how he dislikes pretty much all space games, and the "Have you played: Syberia" article, that seemed to be written just so he could write about how wrong people are to like it as much as they do.

And then he of course has his twitter rants, where he questions both gamers and writer who's opinions doesn't align with him.

I respect him greatly for the work he puts into building and running RPS, but I really dislike his articles, and his lack of respect for other people's opinions, and the way he works to discredit the developers of games he doesn't like.

Not really. I mostly avoid his advice when it comes to this genre. Not that I have any interest in Deponia, but there are great games I would have missed if I had followed his reviews.

There’s just too much hyperbole in his reviews. Especially when it comes to puzzles, he seems to have zero patience.

And even when I do agree with him, I despice the tone he uses, and his obnoxious arrogance.

The tone doesn't bother me at all, but I'm used to it from a myriad of British journos.

What games did he dislike that you thought were great?

The tone doesn't bother me at all, but I'm used to it from a myriad of British journos.

What games did he dislike that you thought were great?

I also recognize that tone from british journos, since I'm a huge Premier League-fan, but I don't want to get used to it. It's the tone I would expect from forum posts and comment fields, not paid professional writers.

Two examples are Gray Matter and Broken Age. The latter he not only disliked, but wrote a second article to trash it, and then went on to discredit other writer's who didn't hate it as much as he did on twitter, and discredit the backers of the game who claimed to be happy with the result.

The Interactive Adventures of Dog Mendonca and Pizza Boy came out of nowhere yesterday. I remember this from Kickstarter but didn't know it was coming out so soon. It looks pretty good, but I don't see any reviews anywhere yet so I am going to hold off for now. Saving my money for Shardlight anyways.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/330420/

szaromir

Banned
If this track is included in the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHkMjWUYGMo
I'll jump into my car, drive all the way to Hamburg and strangle the audio lead.

i dont even need to click that link and i know what youre talking about.
I wont mind a cameo.... but that song needs to be mostly retired :p
EDIT: ok i was wrong, i thought you were referring to the narration song :p

Both songs are in the game, 15 minutes in of launching it actually. >.< Whyyyyyyy?

Tizoc

Welp
Sharldight OT is ready. Should I put it up soon or on Monday? Kinda want more people to go for the Pre-order discount so might put it up in a few hours ^^;
It's actually very simple OT with only the bare minimum info known about the game, namely the setting. I've been in as much media blackout on the game as possible myself though :p

TripleSun

I played 1&2 a few years ago and played Escape as a child but man I never did play Curse. I'm gonna have to make time to relive them all over again.

RhyDin

I would so love for a re-release of The Adventures of Willy Beamish (the talkie version) so that we might get a spiritual or actual sequel.

Don't get me started on this one. Fucking loved Willy Beamish.

Yep, many an hour sat changing disks on the Amiga version.
I was seriously blown away playing it as a kid, it was almost like an interactive cartoon. Ridiculously difficult from all the cheap deaths though.

Oh, and I decided to finally finish the Blackwell games, onto the last one now!
Also pre-ordered Shardlight!

Willy Beamish is one of those titles I think I liked, but can't really tell for sure anymore. I remember looking at the awesome graphics at it's release in different magazines, and then played most of it one sitting when I was really young. But then have barely seen it again.

Really wonder how it would hold up today.

Tunahead

I played Willy Beamish again recently and I felt like some aspects of it held up remarkably well.

The graphics are low resolution as hell (320x200, the usual), but the style and relatively smooth animation quality help alleviate that a lot.

The writing has both the highest highs and lowest lows. The plot in general is pretty good, being driven by characters and their personalities. Willy wants to get to the Nintari championship and his actions are mostly driven by that motivation, and diabolical shenanigans in the background are being driven by the main antagonists. The antagonists are very cartoony, but in a very intentional way where you don't get to see their motivations and backgrounds a lot, but they still fill a kind of stereotype based on real personalities, those being corrupt corporate executives and schoolyard bullies.

Willy himself is the most well rounded character. He's kind of a shitty brat, but in a realistic way where he's just self-absorbed in a way kids that age are, and his negative character traits are juxtaposed by a childlike innocence and doing nice things for people despite himself just to keep on their good side. Willy's relationship with his younger sister is a great example of this, because he just wants to play Nintari and hang out with his friends, so he kind of thinks of her as nuisance because his parents make him spend time with her, but he still plays nice with her to keep the peace.

A couple of characters are kind of paper thin stereotypes though, particularly Willy's trophy wife mother and airhead valley girl older sister. There are some others, but those two stand out in particular because Willy, his dad, and his younger sister seem like a nice, well-rounded bunch with good chemistry.

Where the game doesn't hold up so well is all the trial and error and game overs. There's a whole bunch of dialogue trees where you basically have no idea which choice will be instant death, and I think at some points you can screw yourself over by missing an item hunt and being irreversibly stuck later.

Oh and the voice acting was pretty good.

why am i making a willy beamish effortpost in 2016 oh god what am i doing with my life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom