• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click Adventure Thread 2017 - Bigger Than Ever Before!

Status
Not open for further replies.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
So I've been driving myself nuts. I swear there was some classic European point-and-click adventure game that was released on mobile platforms relatively recently, and it was the first time it was available in English. I THINK it was Spanish but I went through some database of games developed in Spain and I can't find it. It's driving me nuts, any ideas what it might be? I'm pretty sure it was developed in the mid/late 90s.

spinz

So I've been driving myself nuts. I swear there was some classic European point-and-click adventure game that was released on mobile platforms relatively recently, and it was the first time it was available in English. I THINK it was Spanish but I went through some database of games developed in Spain and I can't find it. It's driving me nuts, any ideas what it might be? I'm pretty sure it was developed in the mid/late 90s.

the closest i can think of is black sails the ghost ship was made available in english for the first time recently. But that was german, wasnt in the 90s, and its on steam not mobile.
So.. probably not... :p

Tizoc

Red comrades maybe?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/415610/

Afro

Started Broken Age. Why'd it take me so long to play this? Beautiful, detailed world, funny dialogue, interesting characters, awesome animations, excellent sound design...whoa. I love it.

vKkM1Yb.png

Mr_Zombie

Yes, the game is beautiful. It's just a shame that the game is so uneven with the first part being story-heavy and puzzle-light, while the second part being puzzle-heavy and story-light. There's no middle ground there.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Looks like Else Heart.Break() is in the new Humble Bundle. Since people in here probably like reading, Sunless Sea is part of it too.

wouwie

Daedalic is teasing a new game: http://doomsday-game.com. Some are speculating that it is Deponia 4.

Also, they mentioned on Twitter that they plan to port all their games to PS4, starting with Deponia. I hope they will port Night of the rabbit and Memoria. That would be cool. I have them on pc but i'd like to play them on console instead.

TripleSun

Daedalic is teasing a new game: http://doomsday-game.com. Some are speculating that it is Deponia 4.

Also, they mentioned on Twitter that they plan to port all their games to PS4, starting with Deponia. I hope they will port Night of the rabbit and Memoria. That would be cool. I have them on pc but i'd like to play them on console instead.

Wondering how they'd do another Deponia but guess we'll find out in ~15 hours. Regardless it'll be good to see more Daedalic stuff! Thanks for the info.

Then again this was posted from the Daedalic CEO/Founder: https://twitter.com/CFichtelmann/status/702231622129684481

Terra_Ex

I wouldn't mind a 4th Deponia game, I wasn't really a fan of where and how they chose to end the 3rd game.

Wondering how they'd do another Deponia but guess we'll find out in ~15 hours. Regardless it'll be good to see more Daedalic stuff! Thanks for the info.

Then again this was posted from the Daedalic CEO/Founder: https://twitter.com/CFichtelmann/status/702231622129684481

I think some people have speculated that
Cletus would be the main character since he is "Rufus." Although I don't think they definitely killed Rufus off either so maybe they'd do some protagonist switching similar to what they did in the third game.
We'll see soon either way.

TripleSun

Oh my GOD, it actually came true. I'm going to cry tears of happiness now haha. Oh and that date lol way to release it less than a week from announcement lol

[edit] I even had the crazy idea to replay the first 3 games in celebration of the 4th...but maybe not haha not sure I'm up for the task. I still remember the story pretty well so I think I'm fine.

spinz

[edit] I even had the crazy idea to replay the first 3 games in celebration of the 4th...but maybe not haha not sure I'm up for the task. I still remember the story pretty well so I think I'm fine.

i was thinking the same thing... but that would indeed be a pretty crazy task. Probably about 30 hours of gameplay in 5 days.

TripleSun

i was thinking the same thing... but that would indeed be a pretty crazy task. Probably about 30 hours of gameplay in 5 days.

I always have this idea for new games in a series I really enjoy but yeah 30 hours in like ~5 days is so not possible for me right now.

szaromir

Banned
i dont even need to click that link and i know what youre talking about.
I wont mind a cameo.... but that song needs to be mostly retired :p
EDIT: ok i was wrong, i thought you were referring to the narration song :p

The song I posted was on a loop in so many locations in the first game, soooo obnoxious and distracting and then they put it again in one screen in part three (luckily no puzzles there) and I went like FUUUUUUUUUU. Though this Huzza nonsense was overdone, too.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I started playing A Golden Wake, that Wadget game set in the 20's. It's charming enough I guess, even though the writing feels pretty flat. It really helps that I live in Coral Gables, but the idea of the "biopic" style adventure is what's really interesting to me here.

This one's set up kind of mission-based, to lead you through the events and trials of this guy's real estate career. It really cracks along, which I sometimes really appreciate in a PnC when it doesn't throw weird puzzles in the way of the narrative. But I think there's a lot of promise for this style of narrative applied to other people's life stories. I just wonder what kinds of lives it would best apply to. I remember that cool Robert Ripley game back in the day, too.

BluWacky

DAMN!

World is just as gorgeous as I imagined. I love the giant sword dude. Machinarium is one of my all-time faves. Atmosphere all over.

Still need to play the first two in the series.

DO SO.

I can't watch this trailer; the joy of Samorost is whatever weird artistic thing comes up next. It's fantastic to know there's a release date on the horizon, though!

Deponia 4, Samorost 3 and Shardlight all in March? What a month for the genre.
Don't forget The Interactive Adventures of Dog Mendonça and Pizzaboy - March 4, Nelly Cootalot - March 22 and probably Day of the Tentacle Remastered too.
It will be a great month!

TripleSun

Holy crap that article is claiming Deponia Doomsday will take 20 hours across 100 locations! My god that is insane, I'm so excited. Wonder if it'll be like $20. They haven't put a price on it yet and it is releasing in 4 days.

[edit] Oh I see an article claiming $29.99. Guess Day one might not happen until I can find some time/money to spare lol

Samorost 3 coming March 24.

Release Date Trailer

Nice, so excited for it.

DAMN!

World is just as gorgeous as I imagined. I love the
giant SofC sword dude
. Machinarium is one of my all-time faves. Atmosphere all over. My fave P&C art style.

Still need to play the first two in the series.

The first game is free; short and easy. The second game can be bought for only $5. Also, if you like their stuff then check out Botanicula. It's another adventure they did a few years ago that's pretty good. Probably my favorite by them.

mattiewheels

Amanita are my favorite adventure devs by far these days, I love the way communication works in their games, that and bringing such character to the world. Playing Dropsy kinda reminded me of them in a way.

spinz

Holy crap that article is claiming Deponia Doomsday will take 20 hours across 100 locations! My god that is insane, I'm so excited. Wonder if it'll be like $20. They haven't put a price on it yet and it is releasing in 4 days.

[edit] Oh I see an article claiming $29.99. Guess Day one might not happen until I can find some time/money to spare lol

if it is truly that long then i hope theyr charging 30 at launch.
And people will certainly complain about it.
But the complainers arent able to realize a company like this struggles to break even and popular games with much less content sell for twice as much.

Bebpo

Banned
Amanita are my favorite adventure devs by far these days, I love the way communication works in their games, that and bringing such character to the world. Playing Dropsy kinda reminded me of them in a way.

Yup. Really looking forward to Sam3, feels like it's been a long time since Botanicula.

TripleSun

if it is truly that long then i hope theyr charging 30 at launch.
And people will certainly complain about it.
But the complainers arent able to realize a company like this struggles to break even and popular games with much less content sell for twice as much.

Yeah I was expecting $20 for like a 10 hour experience so 20 hours for $30 is good. Yeah you're right and about these kind of companies trying to make any profit since the niche market. I have no problem with the price point, I'm just short of funds at the moment, not saying the game should be cheaper.

Regardless there seems to be an incredible amount of excitement from Germany so that's good.

Also it seems according to an article there might be an alternative ending to Deponia 3, but I don't see the point since 4 is coming and all.

spinz

^hmm like an alternative ending patch to 3? That would be interesting. Maybe its to retcon for what happens in the new game.

Furo

So this PnC game, Heaven's Hope just showed up on Steam
http://store.steampowered.com/app/404510/?snr=1_7_7_comingsoon_150_1

Anyone heard of it?

It's quite good (would give it 7 or 8 out of 10), if you are in need for some new adventure game you should go for it. I have started a walkthrough yesterday, you can check out some early gameplay (part1) here:https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5Rrj6Juiqmr852app3NMYfoCJdjtxN4_

Im new to neogaf, if yt links are not allowed just delete it pls

Tizoc

Can't wait for Shardlight, I NEEDS IT!
Anyone gonna make the OT? I wouldn't mind making one :X What would be a good subtitle though?

It's quite good (would give it 7 or 8 out of 10), if you are in need for some new adventure game you should go for it. I have started a walkthrough yesterday, you can check out some early gameplay (part1) here:https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5Rrj6Juiqmr852app3NMYfoCJdjtxN4_

Im new to neogaf, if yt links are not allowed just delete it pls

No that's OK, various GAFfers link to their 'Let's Play' videos and the like here :D
Welcome to GAF, too!

epmode

Just finished The Cat Lady. The interface is kind of annoying and the whole game is pretty uneven* but I still really enjoyed it.

I promise the game isn't as bleak as it seems in the intro.

*Especially that Downfall tie-in. A ~20 minute portion of The Cat Lady is pure nonsense to anyone that hasn't played it (like me).

Moving on to the Downfall remake soon.

mattiewheels

Cat Lady and Silence of the Sleep are two that I've been trying to start, Im swamped with these things lately.

TripleSun

Daedalic Adventure Bundle is 90% off ($4.99) on Steam until March 7th

Deponia
Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes
Memoria
The Night of the Rabbit
The Whispered World Special Edition

Really good pickup even if people have all but one considering all of those games are $19.99 if you buy them single.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/44162/

wouwie

Martin Ganteföhr is making a new adventure with Daedalic (Unreal engine, 3D apparently) which has a target release date of end 2016. Some might remember Martin from games like The Moment of Silence and Overclocked. I remember buying and playing The Moment of Silence but i don't remember if i finished and/or liked it. Which means that i'm either getting old or it wasn't as memorable as some of the classics (or both).

Tizoc

Wow
That demo was disappointing; BECAUSE IT WAS FREAKIN' SHORT
But otherwise
I am so hype for the game XO
So many good looking animations and the overall theme and setting is just intriguing, the 8th can't get here any faster X3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom