• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click Adventure Thread 2017 - Bigger Than Ever Before!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Psyched for Shardlight.

So the question is with Disney green-lighting, Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle, and Full Throttle to get the HD makeover....what other game will they allow next.....?? in anycase whatever that will be probably won't be till 2019-2020...what with Full Throttle coming out next year..

The only other lucasfilm/arts games that Schafer worked on are the first two monkey island games. I'd love to see decent remakes of those, but it might be deemed unprofitable because of the se's.

Other then that, it'd be non-schafer related games. Maniac Mansion. The Last Crusade. Zak Mckracken. Sam & Max. Loom. The latter MI games. And of course the best game ever to come out of lucasarts, Fate of Atlantis.

But does he want to work on games he never had anything to do with? Does disney want him to? Will DoTT be a success? Will it look like a filtered upscale? We'll see over the course of the next year I guess.

rusteepot

Completed Her Story yesterday.

Have to say, love the execution — innovative visual novel presentation —, some clever foreshadowing (
reversi game for example, and its companion achievement
), but speaking as a mystery/crime buff, the story
was contrived as hell

The actress was pretty good though.

Other then that, it'd be non-schafer related games. Maniac Mansion. The Last Crusade. Zak Mckracken. Sam & Max. Loom. The latter MI games. And of course the best game ever to come out of lucasarts, Fate of Atlantis.

But does he want to work on games he never had anything to do with? Does disney want him to? Will DoTT be a success? Will it look like a filtered upscale? We'll see over the course of the next year I guess.

Can only see him working on Loom there, with Brian Moriarty giving Double Fine his blessing for that on twitter, but as I recall it, the situation regarding the rights to that were more complicated then for others.

But it would have been nice. The druids in Broken Age really reminded about Loom.

As for the others?

Monkey Island? With Ron Gilbert still feeling so strongly about that series? Can't see that happening.
Indy? Can't see Disney giving DF the rights to that.
Sam&Max? That would just be weird after three seasons from Telltale.

As for DOTT: SE being a success, it will be. Grim Fandango: Remastered sold really well. Tim Schafer actually said on his recent AMA that it has surpassed the sales of the original. It has over 400k on Steam alone.

spinz

Humble Store has a "build your own Daedalic bundle" promotion, where you get -85% off if you buy 3 games, -90% off for 5 games
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/bundle/daedalicentertainment/

Afe those worth getting?
-Anna's Quest
-Gomo
-Dead Synchronicity
-1954 Alcatraz

for €7.29?

I can say definite yes to annas quest and dead sync. Those are worth it for that price alone. I havnt played the other two but i know they have reputation for not being great.

szaromir

Banned
I can say definite yes to annas quest and dead sync. Those are worth it for that price alone. I havnt played the other two but i know they have reputation for not being great.

Thanks, I picked up a cheaper selection thanks to your advice, still including Anna's Quest and Dead Sync of course.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Has anyone else received an email like this:

Hi xxxxxxxxx,

The product The Silver Lining formed part of a purchase you previously made and has just been updated by the merchant.

IMPORTANT: If you are using Internet Explorer and downloading a PC installer, please follow these instructions if you are having trouble opening the file. Note that this does not apply to zip or rar files:
1. Right click on the downloaded file in Windows Explorer
2. Choose rename
3. Add .exe to the end of the filename and hit enter

In receiving this email you have been given access to the updated version that can be downloaded by visiting the order URL: https://transactions.sendowl.com/orders/1828427/download/ <redacted>

For any questions relating to the updated product, or your original purchase, please contact the seller.

Sincerely,
Phoenix Online Studios

Is this legit? Seems strange coming from sendowl.

spinz

Is this legit? Seems strange coming from sendowl.

very fishy, id say youre right to avoid it for now. I downloaded the silver lining a long time ago and did not get an email like this. And theres nothing on the page about an update. Perhaps weirdest is that they would ask you to rename the file to an exe after downloading it. Only reason i can think to ask that is for trying to avoid malware detection.

So I played Grim Fandango all last weekend, and now I have a mighty thirst for more of these adventure/point and click type of games. I haven't really touched any of these since I was a kid with those Humongous Entertainment titles. So what are some good recommendations that I can get on PC(preferably Steam) and PS4? I don't care how old they are, i'm just looking for some good puzzles and entertaining stories and characters.

So I played Grim Fandango all last weekend, and now I have a mighty thirst for more of these adventure/point and click type of games. I haven't really touched any of these since I was a kid with those Humongous Entertainment titles. So what are some good recommendations that I can get on PC(preferably Steam) and PS4? I don't care how old they are, i'm just looking for some good puzzles and entertaining stories and characters.

Broken Age fits that description, made by the creator of Grim Fandango, available on both Steam and PS4. But you unfortunately just missed a sale of it on Humblebundle.com.

If you haven't played them, go look for Monkey Island 1 & 2, also available on both Steam and PS4.

Dropsy is a a new one, that I haven't played myself, but is recommended very often.

szaromir

Banned
I could recommend you
-Most of other Lucas Arts adventures from the 90s
-Beneath a Steel Sky
-Broken Sword 1 (the original version running in SCUMM-VM, not the director's cut)
-The Longest Journey
-Scratches Director's Cut
-Gabriel Knight series (avoid the recent remake of GK1)
-Blackwell series
-Primordia
Those are some of my favorites.

georly

Jeez. Indie devs are the best thing to happen to old-school gamers. There are more adventure games out in 2016 than I feel like there were in all of the 90s put together.

Dropsy is $4.99 at Humble store btw.

ooh i know what im gonna play while snowed in!

Tizoc

This game recently released on Steam

header.jpg

Anyone played it?

spinz

Hadean Lands is on sale for the next 3 days at Indie Game Stand (pay what you want for game, beat average ~$2 for bonus content).

Came out in 2014 and is a classic-styled text-only adventure. Has anyone here played it? IIRC it reviewed very well.

thanks for pointing it out. Im going to try this out. Im pleased to see they now package it to run in its own client. I remember when it first came out all they were selling was a file to load, and you had to sort out what client youd use for an interface.
EDIT: i just solved a few puzzles in it, its very fun.

inm8num2

Love the colors in that scene. Can't wait to hear more about Unavowed, especially its gameplay since IIRC it will have some RPG elements.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any that feel like the Teltale games? They're my favourite.

TripleSun

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly has Yesterday for the $1 tier. I know it's only a buck, but I'm more interested if the game is worth my time. So, any good? I think it has a sequel or prequel coming this year so it would be a good time to play it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/356390/ The Slaughter came out today too, finally. I think I remember this game from the pnc thread from like 3 years ago.

Honestly I hated it but meh people have differing opinions I guess. I never felt excited to progress the story. I just wanted to finish it so I could say I did.

The slaughter came out but it is only part 1/3. Definitely need to pick this up tonight though. Been anxiously waiting for a while now.

BTA

Oh, hmm. I'm really conflicted now. I've been meaning to play Downfall and The Cat Lady for years, and when I heard of the remake, felt that it had justified putting it off in some way. But now that I'm learning that it'll be pretty different (visually, and apparently also parts of the story)... I'm debating just playing the original soon and then picking up the remake at some point in the future instead.

TripleSun

Olivia of OwlCave just did a giveaway of a handful of Slaughter Part 1 codes but I'm too slow on British stuff and random know-how haha. I'm just going to go ahead and buy it now.

The designer on The Slaughter is doing another giveaway this week from his account @thebrained so if you are wanting to give it a shot tune in.

spinz

Oh, hmm. I'm really conflicted now. I've been meaning to play Downfall and The Cat Lady for years, and when I heard of the remake, felt that it had justified putting it off in some way. But now that I'm learning that it'll be pretty different (visually, and apparently also parts of the story)... I'm debating just playing the original soon and then picking up the remake at some point in the future instead.

Really imo no reason you have to play downfall first. Theres a cameo in cat lady and its not especially important.

Bebpo

Banned
Played through the Blackwell Convergence and liked it quite a bit! Nice pace with really no downtime, enjoyable story and can't get enough of that jazzy music. Definitely my favorite yet. Legacy was ok, but too short and just not enough meat to it, Unbound was a little dull until the end, but Convergence has everything in full swing.

Looking forward to Deception and Epiphany!

epmode

Played through the Blackwell Convergence and liked it quite a bit! Nice pace with really no downtime, enjoyable story and can't get enough of that jazzy music. Definitely my favorite yet. Legacy was ok, but too short and just not enough meat to it, Unbound was a little dull until the end, but Convergence has everything in full swing.

Looking forward to Deception and Epiphany!

I like Unbound a lot. You can tell that it was even lower budget than Legacy but the stylistic switch in the music and <3<3<3 Lauren's voice <3<3<3 really worked.

inm8num2

Point & Click Villainy &#8211; Are Adventure Protagonists Really Heroes?

Fun read!

Cheating, stealing and lying are commonplace in adventure games and more often than not, the solution of a puzzle means the destruction of someone else&#8217;s livelihood if not their lives altogether.

This is one of the things I love most about the genre. Not the destroying another character's life part, but just the variety in who you play and the methods you employ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom