• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click Adventure Thread 2017 - Bigger Than Ever Before!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is gonna phrased weird but
1- If I were to play only 1 L. S. Larry game, what should it be? The 7th game?
2- Say I were interested in playing more games of the series which ones are worth playing through?

You could play the remake of Lounge Lizards. I don't remember if it includes the original VGA version which is good.

I say play the old ones, maybe up to 4? That's all I've played. It's a series that never stuck with me.

inm8num2

2- Say I were interested in playing more games of the series which ones are worth playing through?

The fourth LSL is the best. ;)

(I say play them all, starting with the original or its VGA remake.)

TripleSun

Yesterday Origins huh, did not know there was coming an sequel(prequel?).

Really liked the first one. Recommended if you have not played it.

Sadly I really couldn't stand the game. I really miss their Runaway games. But regardless I'll buy it to support their reentry to gaming.

lawrence7

Downfall trailer + Release date announced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPVEfZC8GXk

6xSJRri.jpg

epmode

That's a remake from the dev that made The Cat Lady, right?, right? I own the original but haven't played for more than a few minutes.

I played through the original Downfall around when it came out and it's a disturbing game. Don't know if I could bring myself to play it again.

RAIDEN1

Its a shame that despite Full Throttle getting a HD makeover etc, with "added features" whatever they maybe, it wouldn't spur Tim Schafer to do a full-blown sequel to the game....which what it ALWAYS should have had...and I know without Roy Conrad it wouldn't be the same but in light of that they could adapt the story in some respect and make a sequel.....

NSSR

Neo Member
Its a shame that despite Full Throttle getting a HD makeover etc, with "added features" whatever they maybe, it wouldn't spur Tim Schafer to do a full-blown sequel to the game....which what it ALWAYS should have had...and I know without Roy Conrad it wouldn't be the same but in light of that they could adapt the story in some respect and make a sequel.....

I feel the same about all of the HD remakes. My poor heart jumps at seeing old names like "Monkey Island" "Day of the Tentacle" "Full Throttle" in recent announcements, only to see them followed by "Remastered." Sequels would be wonderful, but even so, I feel like the quirky pixellated charm and the dark humor of the olden days can't ever be replicated =( (Case in point: Telltale ruining my favorite game of all time, Sam & Max)

*goggles on*

inm8num2

Yep, it's a remake with graphics and mechanics similar to The Cat Lady.

Oh wow...nice. I absolutely loved The Cat Lady. I remember Downfall being free on Desura (looks like it still is). I meant to play that a year or two ago and must have completely forgotten. Now I have reason to before the remake comes out.

True!

Anyway, I love them all, but the 7th is surely the most approachable. Or maybe the remake of the 1st.
Avoid anything not done by Al Lowe like the plague.

Lol at fourth one being the best! :D

Anyways, which one is it when you win a tv game show or a lottery or something and win a cruise ticket and the rest of the game is played out on a boat? That's the best one iirc.

Tunahead

1 is probably still the best Larry. Everything is just grimy horrible suffering for him. 3 is definitely the worst because Larry becomes happy in it, which misses the point entirely.

Lol at fourth one being the best! :D

Anyways, which one is it when you win a tv game show or a lottery or something and win a cruise ticket and the rest of the game is played out on a boat? That's the best one iirc.

That's 7.

Well, he can't exactly just do a sequel just like that, Disney owns the IP and decides what happens to it, and even if he did get the opportunity to make a sequel, someone has to fund it.

Mr_Zombie

LSL7 is the most approachable, since it's the newest one (not including the LSL1 remake).

As for which one are worth playing, I would say LSL1 (VGA or the remake), 3, 6 and 7.

I dislike LSL2 since it's unfairly hard unless you use a walkthrough (it's very easy to die just by going to a place the game doesn't want you to go without giving you any hints you might die there; in the middle of the game you need an item that you could only obtain at the beginning of the game not knowing you would even need it few hours later - and at that point in the game you can't return there; there's a nasty game-breaking bug at the end of the game if you write a wrong command etc.). LSL5, on the other hand, is really, really easy and short. I think I finished it in one sitting and was rather disappointed.

Downfall trailer + Release date announced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPVEfZC8GXk

Sweet. The Cat Lady was so enjoyably disturbing.

Boem

( (Case in point: Telltale ruining my favorite game of all time, Sam & Max)

The earliest Telltale Sam & Max episodes were a bit dodgy because of their limited budget and them figuring out how to work with the new format as they went along, but I honestly think the third season (Devil's Playhouse) is easily the best Sam & Max game ever (including the Lucasarts one), and much closer in tone to the original comics than Hit the Road was. Don't forget that, at the time, Telltale was mostly made up of old Lucasarts employees, like Dave Grossman (Monkey Island 1 & 2, Day of the Tentacle), Mike Stemmle (Sam & Max Hit the Road) and Chuck Jordan (Curse of Monkey Island). Devil's Playhouse is still probably my favorite adventure game in recent history.

I agree about sequels though - I would love it if Double Fine managed to make a sequel to one of the classics. I'd rather have them leave Full Throttle alone because it would just feel wrong without Conrad, but I can see them doing another Monkey Island or Day of the Tentacle. I've said this before, but the part in The Cave where you actually arrive on Monkey Island and meet Herman Toothrot was one of my favorite gaming moments in years. I just wanted them to do more at that point. I'm sure people like Ron Gilbert or Dave Grossman would be willing to work with Tim on a project like that.

Of course, Tim himself will be busy with Psychonauts for the next couple of years.

inm8num2

True!

Anyway, I love them all, but the 7th is surely the most approachable. Or maybe the remake of the 1st.
Avoid anything not done by Al Lowe like the plague.

LOL, I completely forgot about the ones after Love for Sail. Haven't played them due to always reading how bad they are.

Agreed that Love for Sail is the overall best game and most approachable. If someone likes that they can go back and play the series from the beginning.

Overall I'd rank the series like this:

7 > 3 > 6 > 1 > 5 > 2

Boem

Anyone have a suggestion of fun G rated games I can play with my daughter that we would both enjoy?

If you don't mind older games, the Humongous games were made specifically for that purpose. They put a lot (all?) of them on GOG.com and Steam recently. Stuff like Putt Putt, Freddy Fish and especially Pajama Sam is great for kids that age.

If you want something newer, the new King's Quest basically looks like a Disney cartoon. Very kid friendly and still charming/fun for adults, although you'll have to do all of the puzzle solving as some of them will be to tricky for younger kids.

Edit: Telltale also has some kid-friendly games: Bone and Wallace & Gromit would fit your question perfectly, but sadly they aren't available digitally anymore. You might be able to find physical copies though. I haven't played it, but I assume Telltale's Minecraft game could work too. Strong Bad is also full of silly jokes and characters - she might enjoy that as well.

inm8num2

Anyone have a suggestion of fun G rated games I can play with my daughter that we would both enjoy?

Hmmm...

Stacking
Machinarium
The Inner World
The Cave
Lilly Looking Through
Lume & Lumino City
Toonstruck (I think there are one or two bits of adult humor but kids wouldn't register it)
Return to Mysterious Island
The Book of Unwritten Tales
Back to the Future: The Game
King's Quest (2015)
King's Quest series (mainly KQ6 and especially KQ7)

I guess it depends on what style of game you're going for in terms of gameplay/interaction.

day later edit - forgot to add Broken Age

Tizoc

Thanks for the info guys.

A Full Throttle 2 game should just be its own separate story set in the same world as FT1.

Fuz

Banned
LOL, I completely forgot about the ones after Love for Sail. Haven't played them due to always reading how bad they are.

Agreed that Love for Sail is the overall best game and most approachable. If someone likes that they can go back and play the series from the beginning.

Overall I'd rank the series like this:

7 > 3 > 6 > 1 > 5 > 2

I'd rank the 1st as 1st, but it's probably my heart talking.

inm8num2

I'd rank the 1st as 1st, but it's probably my heart talking.

Yea I love the first game, but 3, 6, and 7 just offer more in terms of overall gameplay (given how short 1 is). Still, I've got a special place in my heart for the first game. :)

inm8num2

Sci-Fi Scares: Stasis’s Prequel Chapter Is Coming

Chris shared the news in the Stasis OT as well:

http://thebrotherhoodgames.com/blog/2016/01/and-when-the-dust-settles/
So we made the difficult decision to build Cayne from the ground up, and apply all of the lessons we’d learned from STASIS to create the best experience we can.

While STASIS provided a foundation for our future projects, Cayne will most certainly be providing the brick and mortar. We’re going to use Cayne to test out new ideas, technologies, and a new workflow that has both Nic and I working full time.
I want to push the design of Cayne into new directions. Cayne will portray more of Nic and my personal game styles – in all aspects, from the story to characters and environments. We want to bring in something slightly different to STASIS universe to challenge ourselves. But Cayne is set in the same universe, so we aren’t going to stray too far from our 80s roots.

More info in the full post.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
If you don't mind older games, the Humongous games were made specifically for that purpose. They put a lot (all?) of them on GOG.com and Steam recently. Stuff like Putt Putt, Freddy Fish and especially Pajama Sam is great for kids that age.

If you want something newer, the new King's Quest basically looks like a Disney cartoon. Very kid friendly and still charming/fun for adults, although you'll have to do all of the puzzle solving as some of them will be to tricky for younger kids.

Edit: Telltale also has some kid-friendly games: Bone and Wallace & Gromit would fit your question perfectly, but sadly they aren't available digitally anymore. You might be able to find physical copies though. I haven't played it, but I assume Telltale's Minecraft game could work too. Strong Bad is also full of silly jokes and characters - she might enjoy that as well.

Hmmm...

Stacking
Machinarium
The Inner World
The Cave
Lilly Looking Through
Lume & Lumino City
Toonstruck (I think there are one or two bits of adult humor but kids wouldn't register it)
Return to Mysterious Island
The Book of Unwritten Tales
Back to the Future: The Game
King's Quest (2015)
King's Quest series (mainly KQ6 and especially KQ7)

I guess it depends on what style of game you're going for in terms of gameplay/interaction.

day later edit - forgot to add Broken Age

armikrog!

a lot of the other ones have been touched on.

Awesome. Thanks guys!

Tizoc

Broken Age!
It's on sale at Humblebundle.com atm too
There are also the Humongous Entertainment games which are on Steam.
The first Monkey Island is nice too, and the 2nd as well unless you feel tht Guybrush being an asshole in that game might not sit well with her >_>

Fuz

Banned
Broken Age!
It's on sale at Humblebundle.com atm too
There are also the Humongous Entertainment games which are on Steam.
The first Monkey Island is nice too, and the 2nd as well unless you feel tht Guybrush being an asshole in that game might not sit well with her >_>

This is the correct answer.

Tizoc

I never realized how asshole-ish guybrush's actions in mi2 were until i read about them and realized the mean things that happen to the people he interacts with @.@

Efejota

These Syberia games, what exactly are they about? all i know is some shit about a toy factor and a lawyer. What's the hook? is it a mystery? what?

A bit spoilery to tell more, but you control a lawyer that wanted to get the ownership of a spring-automaton toy factory and have to find an old familiar of the owner to sign some papers, using a spring-powered train.
The hook is mostly the atmosphere but there's a bit of mistery there too.

inm8num2

Shardlight: a first point-and-click look

...an adult and refreshingly demanding point-and-click adventure that's neither afraid to shock you, nor make you properly think in order to solve its puzzles. If this far from finished preview build is anything to go by I have to insist all adventurers keep an eye out for Shardlight -- it seems like a game they'll absolutely adore.

I like the sound of tough, demanding puzzles.

Finally got around to beating Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge. It has its moments, but the first one is better. Hopefully they bring Curse to Steam someday.

Yeah, LeChuck's Revenge is also my favorite. I just love that ending because the first time I played it it came out of nowhere and really made me laugh.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Else Heart.Break() looks pretty interesting...were people talking about this when it first came out, because I'm just now discovering it.

inm8num2

I can already see half of the reviewers complaining about unfair puzzles, because they didn't happen to figure them out for themselves.

Indeed - IIRC Double Fine had to send walkthroughs to reviewers for Broken Age Act 2 due to some negative feedback while they were playing through it.

A Mage's Initiation update appears!

Gameplay video of combat w/ Air Mage

So, we have a question. We're wondering if eligible backers would rather test a rough (but complete) alpha version sooner, in a couple of months time? Or would you prefer to hold out several months longer for a more stable beta build? In either case, the playable build won't have recorded voices yet, as we don't want to record them until the game has been thoroughly tested and any necessary textual changes to the dialogue have been made. It's always a pain to get actors back for pick-up sessions, so we're hoping to work around that by testing the text-only game first and foremost.

Additionally, would backers prefer to receive their test builds via Steam or Humble Bundle? We're still trying to figure out the logistics of getting the test build into eligible backer's hands in the easiest, most seamless manner possible.

Please let us know your feedback in the comments (or via email if you’re a PayPal backer.)

Sounds like they are getting close.

RAIDEN1

So the question is with Disney green-lighting, Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle, and Full Throttle to get the HD makeover....what other game will they allow next.....?? in anycase whatever that will be probably won't be till 2019-2020...what with Full Throttle coming out next year..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom