• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click Adventure Thread 2017 - Bigger Than Ever Before!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had never heard of Realm of the Turtle King

NkOPi2m.jpg

basement7.jpg

mockuproom.jpg

But it looks sick!

Teaser on YouTube is wonky as hell though, I hope it has voice acting.

Mr_Zombie

When I first saw the first image for some reason I thought about Goerge Stobbart and Guybrush Threepwood (MI1: SE version) having a long missing baby. >_>

Interesting artstyle, although the dialogue/monologue face photo in the last screen looks really out of place.

EDIT: Well, looking at the teaser, Monkey Island was definitely an inspiration.

szaromir

Banned
Can we bury the 2015 thread and keep the discussion here? >.>

I need to pass a German exam at the end of April, so naturally the only video games I can spend my time on are German P'n'C adventures. I have these games sitting in my library:
-Chains of Satinav & Memoria
-the Black Mirror trilogy (the first one is by a Czech studio, but the sequels were made by Germans)
-The Book of Unwritten Tales: Critter Chronicles

I've already played: the Deponia trilogy, Whispered World, A New Beginning (awful), TBoUT1, The Moment of Silence, Lost Horizon.

The ones I have should keep me busy until the exam, but since GOG has a bunch of German adventures on sale, is The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief a worthwhile game?

Can we bury the 2015 thread and keep the discussion here? >.>

I need to pass a German exam at the end of April, so naturally the only video games I can spend my time on are German P'n'C adventures. I have these games sitting in my library:
-Chains of Satinav & Memoria
-the Black Mirror trilogy (the first one is by a Czech studio, but the sequels were made by Germans)
-The Book of Unwritten Tales: Critter Chronicles

I've already played: the Deponia trilogy, Whispered World, A New Beginning (awful), TBoUT1, The Moment of Silence, Lost Horizon.

The ones I have should keep me busy until the exam, but since GOG has a bunch of German adventures on sale, is The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief a worthwhile game?

That is a good idea. What level of German are you? I am starting an intensive A1 course next week, but I've already taken a few months of courses once a week, so I think I am somewhat prepared.

I think it would be really cool someday to replay the Lucas Arts adventures in German to see if I get the jokes but I am not sure if my German will ever get that good.

szaromir

Banned
That is a good idea. What level of German are you? I am starting an intensive A1 course next week, but I've already taken a few months of courses once a week, so I think I am somewhat prepared.

I think it would be really cool someday to replay the Lucas Arts adventures in German to see if I get the jokes but I am not sure if my German will ever get that good.
I don't think one needs to be prepared for an A1 course, maybe mentally for the challenges and frustrations ahead. :p It's hard for to make an evaluation where I'm at at the moment, I'm going to push myself really hard to pass a C1 exam less than 3 months from now!

Playing adventure games is great for language learning as they force you to learn words you probably would never encounter in a classroom or when watching TV, all those specialized tools of wreaking havoc that adventure heroes use to overcome obstacles (eg. forceps, clasps, solvents, monkey wrenches) :)

szaromir

Banned
I'll give a steam key for Dropsy to a fellow adventure fan. Anyone with at least one message in this or the 2015 thread is eligible!

Boem

I'll give a steam key for Dropsy to a fellow adventure fan. Anyone with at least one message in this or the 2015 thread is eligible!

I'm willing to take it of your hands...

I'm not a regular poster here but I post every now and again. Dropsy looks good! Has been on my list for a while.

.:Sam:.

Neo Member
I've just started on Sam & Max, with Culture Shock. Such a well-written game!

...but I can never figure out what's what and feel such shame for frequenting walkthroughs. -.-'

szaromir

Banned
I'm willing to take it of your hands...

I'm not a regular poster here but I post every now and again. Dropsy looks good! Has been on my list for a while.

The point is to give the game to someone at least mildly interested in adventure games, as opposed to a random steam hoarder who would likely never touch the game.

Enjoy it, I had a ton of fun with Dropsy!

Boem

The point is to give the game to someone at least mildly interested in adventure games, as opposed to a random steam hoarder who would likely never touch the game.

Enjoy it, I had a ton of fun with Dropsy!

Thanks man, this kind of stuff is right up my alley. I sent you a PM back with some Steam-codes for some of the Telltale games I had lying around. I hope you don't have them yet.

I took advantage of the current GOG sale and bought the Kyrandia series. I beat Hand of Fate decades ago when the game was new, but never played through the first or third game in the series. I think I started Book One, but it was too hard - I don't like it when you can die in adventure games and loved Hand of Fate so much because it avoided death (most of the time).

I used a walkthrough to play through Book One and I can kind of glad I did because some of those puzzles were kinda bullshit. They really did make a much better game with Hand of Fate.

I felt a lot is missing from an adventure game when it has no dialogue. A lot of the meat of an adventure game is, I think, in conversations.

How is the Secret Files PnC series?

It's been awhile since I've played them so I'm just going by what I remember.

The first game is pretty good. Interesting story, characters, beautiful locales, average puzzles. I really enjoyed my time with it.

Second game is decent but not as good as the first. Still an interesting story with likable characters, locales not quite as interesting as the first game. Average puzzles again. Also, there's a new voice actor for the main character. She's not bad, but I really missed the first woman.

Third game is short, easy, and overall uninteresting. Just a forgettable game.

The side game, Sam Peters, is better than the third but not as good as the first two. On the short side with average puzzles.

szaromir

Banned
I beat Chains of Satinav yesterday and started Memoria today. They're really enjoyable for what they are (good old fashion fables in a high fantasy setting). You can currently get them for €2 and €3 respectively, really recommended at these price points.

spinz

I just bought Fran Bow, I heard it's pretty good.

i like it a lot. Its well designed all the way through and the story does a variety of very interesting things. Its a horror game, but its also more than that.
Probably the points that hold it back for people the most are: the graphics/tech are not real strong, and theres no voice acting.

i like it a lot. Its well designed all the way through and the story does a variety of very interesting things. Its a horror game, but its also more than that.
Probably the points that hold it back for people the most are: the graphics/tech are not real strong, and theres no voice acting.

I really enjoyed my time with Fran Bow too, I just played it last month. I think it deserves more recognition than it got. The post-mortem was an interesting read. (I was stoked to learn that the devs went vegan and edge during the development and makes me extra glad to support them.)

spinz

I really enjoyed my time with Fran Bow too, I just played it last month. I think it deserves more recognition than it got. The post-mortem was an interesting read. (I was stoked to learn that the devs went vegan and edge during the development and makes me extra glad to support them.)

that makes this game even more remarkable, knowing that they went through all that with so little and still were able to release a very complete well designed game in 2 years.
I think it also goes to confirm that whats more important than your kickstarter total, is the in-house talent that you have. There are certainly kickstarters that have raised 400k+ that struggled more because they were dealing with all these outside people they hadnt even begun to hire during the fundraising.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I was watching those Giant Bomb best of videos, and came across Vinny playing that Daedalic game Edna & Harvey. Was that any good? It seemed ridiculously morbid from what I saw.

spinz

I was watching those Giant Bomb best of videos, and came across Vinny playing that Daedalic game Edna & Harvey. Was that any good? It seemed ridiculously morbid from what I saw.

its ridiculously great. I do believe it may have more unique voiced responses to item combinations than any other adventure game. (a minimum of about 630 and thats just from trying to combine two items together, thats not the many different responses you get from using items on the environment) An insane amount. It is definitely a gem in my book.

Looking over the games that I have played in that list, if you haven't played them then I warmly recommend the Harvey & Edna games.

The Blackwell games are very nice as well of course.

OP can you please update the thread with the release dates, its hard to keep track of what is out and what is not. Thanks

Played Oxenfree and Firewatch. I recommend Oxenfree, Firewatch was good in terms of gameplay and exploration but a bit disappointing plot wise.

epmode

The Downfall remake is out. $12.59 for the next week.

Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/364390/
GOG: http://www.gog.com/game/downfall_redux

Looks like the original release is included for free with the GOG version. Not sure if it's included in the Steam version but the game is apparently free at Adventure Game Studio so you can just go here: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1170

edit: The Steam version also comes with the original release.

Firewatch was good in terms of gameplay and exploration but a bit disappointing plot wise.

This seems to be a popular opinion on GAF but I don't agree. I really liked Firewatch all the way through. It probably helps that I went in completely blind.

epmode

Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet has gotten a release date(trailer/press release) -- March 22nd.

Looking forward to adding another successful Kickstarter to the pile :)

I feel like this game is going to be good. Well, it'll be funny at least. Genuinely funny games are VERY HARD TO FIND, even among comedy adventure games.

Anyway, the developer announced two voice actors:

The game offers full voice acting in both English and German, with an incredible cast including the legendary Tom Baker (Doctor Who, Little Britain) and Thomas Reiner (Raumpatrouille Orion, Futurama). It also offers text localisation in French, Spanish and Italian.

inm8num2

Thimbleweed Park needs playtesters

Phase two of our testing will still be in person. We will not be sending out copies of the game to play, so you will need to live in one of the fun filled locations of Seattle, San Francisco or London to participate.

You will sit down with a member of Team Thimbleweed and spend two or three hours playing the game while we quietly watch (lab coats and clipboards are TBD) and then ask you a lot of questions.

Our goal is to do one or more of these each week over the next few months.

If you're interested, please fill out THIS FORM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom