• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click Adventure Thread 2018 - This Is The Year!

Personally I love Curse. I rate it higher than LeChuck's revenge. In that perfect sweet spot of difficult but fair puzzle design, much like the first game. The only problems I could say I have with it are that it does stick very closely to the Secret Of Monkey Island formula. It's a re-tread of that game in a lot of ways. So you could tag it as lacking originality (to an extent). Also that ending is too abrupt. Even an extra 40 seconds to that last cut-scene with some Elaine & Guybrush banter would have been more satisfying. An odd blemish on an otherwise superbly polished game.

Other than that there's not much to dislike about it imo.

petran79

Banned
Curse only dissapointed in the final chapter that felt rushed. Rest felt perfect for a Lucasart adventure game. When it comes to chapter comparison, I'd put the Tales chapter were Guybrush dies as one of the top5 inthe franchise

Also E. Pety's(former Bloodlust software) Knoblycrook freeware pnc adventure is complete. Language is completely made up

What are some of the best console PnC games? Across all systems.
Hi there,

we already discussed this question on page 6 of this thread. Look for the posts from protonion and myself near the end of the thread page.

Fuz asked for adventures for a friend who had just bought a PS4Pro but I’m pretty positive most (probably nearly all) of the mentioned games also have ports for Xbox One and the console generation before that.

Why do some people not like Curse? In 1997 those hand drawn graphics were just extraordinary. I don't know how you couldn't help fall in love. Puzzles were difficult but not too much moon logic

Personally I love Curse. I rate it higher than LeChuck's revenge. In that perfect sweet spot of difficult but fair puzzle design, much like the first game.

Curse only dissapointed in the final chapter that felt rushed. Rest felt perfect for a Lucasart adventure game. When it comes to chapter comparison, I'd put the Tales chapter were Guybrush dies as one of the top5 inthe franchise

I also love Curse. After DotT it’s definitely the Lucas Arts adventure I replayed the most. If there’d been a remake of Curse I’d have bought that too and they’d probably even rank equally on my replay quota.

But the thing is, the game isn’t even in need of a remake (besides maybe for compatibility issues with newer (operating) sysytems but luckily there’s always ScummVM for that) and I think that speaks volumes for the game’s timeless quality.

Curse is 21 years old now and yet the visuals still hold up amazingly well today as does the control scheme. The puzzles are challenging yet still logical - something especially the second part lacked sometimes. Voice acting is great, the humor, including an especially welcome return of the insult sword fighting, is at least on par with - if not even funnier than - in the first two parts. The only grievances I have - as others already have mentioned - all have to do with the last chapter: Rushed finale, disappointing final fight and abrupt ending.

For me the worst part in the series will always be Escape from MI (the fourth) - Another title of the early 2000s "let’s save the genre with 3D" era, but this time with especially, oftentimes infuriatingly, frustrating controls. The puzzle quality - while still having that Lucas Arts ingenuity shining through from time to time - is quite inferior to the first three titles in the series. Often either too easy but a few also pretty hard/illogical.

Tales is a bit underappreciated imo - The 3D control scheme is still annoying at times but solved much more elegantly than in Escape. Puzzles may be a bit easier than for the other titles but it still shows that a lot of Lucas Arts’ employees had been working at Telltale back then. Tales most shines with its story which is the best of all the MI titles imo.

To sum up, for me Curse is the highlight of the series and still holds up best today despite never having gotten (or been in need of) a remake. Escape on the other hand is definitely the low point. For the ranking in between I have a far tougher time. I’ll probably catch some flack for not definitely being able to put Secret and Le Chuck’s Revenge above Tales but imo they all have their respective pros and cons.

Last edited:

amigastar

Just bought Detective Gallo on Steam sale.

Looks good enough.

Also i love Curse of Monkey Island for me its better than MI 2.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Don't hold back Fuz Fuz
Aren't you guys already tired of reading my rants about it? :D
I also love Curse. After DotT it’s definitely the Lucas Arts adventure I replayed the most. If there’d been a remake of Curse I’d have bought that too and they’d probably even rank equally on my replay quota.

But the thing is, the game isn’t even in need of a remake (besides maybe for compatibility issues with newer (operating) sysytems but luckily there’s always ScummVM for that) and I think that speaks volumes for the game’s timeless quality.

Curse is 21 years old now and yet the visuals still hold up amazingly well today as does the control scheme. The puzzles are challenging yet still logical - something especially the second part lacked sometimes. Voice acting is great, the humor, including an especially welcome return of the insult sword fighting, is at least on par with - if not even funnier than - in the first two parts. The only grievances I have - as others already have mentioned - all have to do with the last chapter: Rushed finale, disappointing final fight and abrupt ending.

For me the worst part in the series will always be Escape from MI (the fourth) - Another title of the early 2000s "let’s save the genre with 3D" era, but this time with especially, oftentimes infuriatingly, frustrating controls. The puzzle quality - while still having that Lucas Arts ingenuity shining through from time to time - is quite inferior to the first three titles in the series. Often either too easy but a few also pretty hard/illogical.

Tales is a bit underappreciated imo - The 3D control scheme is still annoying at times but solved much more elegantly than in Escape. Puzzles may be a bit easier than for the other titles but it still shows that a lot of Lucas Arts’ employees had been working at Telltale back then. Tales most shines with its story which is the best of all the MI titles imo.

To sum up, for me Curse is the highlight of the series and still holds up best today despite never having gotten (or been in need of) a remake. Escape on the other hand is definitely the low point. For the ranking in between I have a far tougher time. I’ll probably catch some flack for not definitely being able to put Secret and Le Chuck’s Revenge above Tales but imo they all have their respective pros and cons.
You and I are enemies now.

ANYHOW.
I'm playting Lost Horizon.
How has this gem eluded me so far? I'm really loving it. I'm a sucker for Indiana Jones style of stories, and LH does it really, really well. The story is interesting, writing is pretty good, with nicely done dialogues and a good overall (yet kind of overused) story, the characters have... character (forgive me), they're all well-defined and quite interesting. The main character is likable without being boring.
Absolutely love the art style. The backgrounds are stunning: rich, well drawn, various and colorful. The character portraits are well done and I really like the style they're drawed in. The 3D characters are of course kinda weak, but it's no big deal.
I hate that dialogue choices aren't the same thing your character says, I hate it in other games (looking at you, bioware) and I hate it here. Not a big deal, anyway, but I'd really prefer a 1:1 transposition.
Puzzles (so far) are logical and this makes the game a bit easy, but I don't mind it. I prefer easy than having to go look for a walkthrough because I'm stuck for too long, to be honest. I'm an old grump and I don't have the patience anymore.

TripleSun

Wow.. Mage's Initiation.. This thread opened in 2012 and game was supposed to come out in iirc 2014? Haha. At least it's coming around finally.

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=47227.0

Jan 30th 2019

Fuz Fuz Oh man, I loved Lost Horizon, I too love the Indiana Jones-esque games and it really made me feel like I trekked around the world. Still never played the sequel but didn't hear great things so I never hurried to it. Did you ever play the Secret Files games? Those were my bread and butter as a youngster as well.

Last edited:
You and I are enemies now.
ANYHOW.
I'm playting Lost Horizon.

Aww, that's a pity. But don't worry, I already considered you an enemy after our Deponia and Larry debates. We could upgrade to archenemies though if you'd like?

I really liked Lost Horizon btw, but the thing that really annoyed me about the game is that the mouse always shows if a combination is possible or not. Either if you wanna use two items in the inventory together or with the environment the mouse-over always shows before even trying it. On mobile it's either green or red, on PC I think it's two green mouse buttons instead of one. This made the game a lot more trial and error as I would have liked. And even though I'm an old and often impatient gamer too, this still took away TOO MUCH of the challenge.

Still found it to be pretty good, just could have done without that unintentional auto-hint function. Don't touch the successors though if you liked the first title. They may ruin your positive memories of Lost Horizon I.

Last edited:
Oh yeah haha must have missed that part
No worries, was a short message on the last page, easy to miss :)

Hope Trüberbrook and Gibbous will/can also hold up their Q1 schedule. And Blacksad also can't come soon enough - At least beginning with Jan 1, Google doesn't show the misinformed release date of Dec 2018 amymore. But iirc, after a few delays already, the devs are planning Q1 (or Q2) 2019 now - Would be amazing if they'll be able to hold it up

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Just bought Detective Gallo on Steam sale.

Looks good enough.

A few scattered impressions.
Mediocre. The story, its development and its premises are dumb and preposterous. The humour isn't really my thing. They treat the main character like it was an estabilished one. He walks so slow sometimes. The characters are nicely drawn and have a certain "Disney Italy" quality, but the locations are few, quite poor and uninteresting. Puzzles are ok. Good music and decent voiceover.
Not too bad, worth the steam sale price.

Side note: "Gallo" means "rooster" in italian. Also "cool" in a certain '80s slang, but we're all trying to forget that dark side of our history.

Last edited:

Terra_Ex

Just finished Unavowed. Not sure how I feel about it overall, after the Blackwell series, some aspects I liked, others not so much. My main gripe being that it maybe introduced too many fantastical elements into the previously fairly subdued setting. I liked it overall, plenty of good moments, but there's just something that irks me about the game/setting.

Also given how many Dave Gilbert commentaries I've listened to that one character kept pulling me out of the experience lol.

Spoiler tags aren't working for me so I've worded it differently.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
So, my Steam discovery feed is made up almost entirely of point n click adventure games made by or published by Big Fish games. Despite the fact of me never having bought one from them.

I’m assuming these are pretty poor quality games considering the sheer number of them. Although, some of the art looks pretty good.

Any thoughts on these games, good people?

So, my Steam discovery feed is made up almost entirely of point n click adventure games made by or published by Big Fish games. Despite the fact of me never having bought one from them.

I’m assuming these are pretty poor quality games considering the sheer number of them. Although, some of the art looks pretty good.

Played quite a few of them on mobile. Nearly all of their adventure games are completely interchangeable. Same easy puzzles, stories often very similar and forgettable plus all their titles have a bunch of hidden object scenes. If you played one Big Fish Point'n'Click, you've played (and know if you like) them all.

Side note: "Gallo" means "rooster" in italian. Also "cool" in a certain '80s slang, but we're all trying to forget that dark side of our history.

:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Probably around the same time in the 80s when Americans started calling Pizza Za and Soda Da - Bet they're also trying to forget that dark chapter of their history :D

Edit: So basically they're selling Detective Gallo as Detective Rooster or 80s slang's Detective Cool? Mamma Mia :)

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Played quite a few of them on mobile. Nearly all of their adventure games are completely interchangeable. Same easy puzzles, stories often very similar and forgettable plus all their titles have a bunch of hidden object scenes. If you played one Big Fish Point'n'Click, you've played (and know if you like) them all.
Thanks, pretty much what I expected.

Airola

I used to frown upon these hidden object adventure games but one time something just clicked on me and I've kinda started to enjoy them quite a bit.

They are games with single static screens where you interact with objects and move to other static screens. Kind of like Shadowgate, a bit.
There are puzzles every now and then and you also encounter several "hidden object" screens where your aim is to look for objects listed on screen. One or more of these items will end up in your inventory for later puzzles but mostly it's just a bunch of more or less unrelated objects thrown in the screen for you to mess with. Sometimes the items in these hidden object screens require you to solve some minor puzzles (like, if there is a "burning candle" as one of the items you need to find, you have to find a match, find something to set the match on fire and then click on the candle).

I used to hate these hidden object puzzles and thought they are really stupid, but nowadays I like them. These games used to be mostly based on the hidden object puzzles but they have become more and more "regular" adventures as years have passed by. They feel more Shadowgate now than just "hidden object adventures" and the hidden object parts have actually become a bit more clever too.

The art and the music are top notch in these games usually. Lots of atmosphere there. And the mysteries can be really interesting too.

However, this is very much true:

If you played one Big Fish Point'n'Click, you've played (and know if you like) them all.

Yeah, different places, different characters, different settings, different stories, but the games pretty much all go through the same patterns. Only if you are interested in going through a new mystery while playing the same gameplay game after game, playing more than one of these is recommended. If you enjoy one of them, you will most certainly have a lot of fun with the others too.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I used to frown upon these hidden object adventure games but one time something just clicked on me and I've kinda started to enjoy them quite a bit.

They are games with single static screens where you interact with objects and move to other static screens. Kind of like Shadowgate, a bit.
There are puzzles every now and then and you also encounter several "hidden object" screens where your aim is to look for objects listed on screen. One or more of these items will end up in your inventory for later puzzles but mostly it's just a bunch of more or less unrelated objects thrown in the screen for you to mess with. Sometimes the items in these hidden object screens require you to solve some minor puzzles (like, if there is a "burning candle" as one of the items you need to find, you have to find a match, find something to set the match on fire and then click on the candle).

I used to hate these hidden object puzzles and thought they are really stupid, but nowadays I like them. These games used to be mostly based on the hidden object puzzles but they have become more and more "regular" adventures as years have passed by. They feel more Shadowgate now than just "hidden object adventures" and the hidden object parts have actually become a bit more clever too.

The art and the music are top notch in these games usually. Lots of atmosphere there. And the mysteries can be really interesting too.

However, this is very much true:

Yeah, different places, different characters, different settings, different stories, but the games pretty much all go through the same patterns. Only if you are interested in going through a new mystery while playing the same gameplay game after game, playing more than one of these is recommended. If you enjoy one of them, you will most certainly have a lot of fun with the others too.
Thanks for that!

Top Bottom