• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click Adventure Thread 2018 - This Is The Year!

Fuz

Banned
Not the biggest fan of detective/whodunnit "PnCs" myself
I am (and I highly enjoyed Crimes and Punishments). But Lamplight City is just plain boring. Now, keep in mind I only almost finished the second case (I'm traveling around and couldn't play since my last post), so this may be a partial impression. Anyway. There's no real investigation, just "go there, talk to that character, then go there and talk to the next one". There are a few hidden things that you can discover "on the side", toh. And you can fail cases and still keep playing (I'm definitely not a fan, but it's an interesting take). I really want to like it, but I can't. I'm not having fun.

Btw Fuz, just thought about you after I finished Daedalic’s The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav yesterday. Hadn’t played the game before and I really liked it.

Despite you not liking Daedalic so much I thought you might enjoy the game as it's pretty different from the stuff Poki (the guy from Deponia, Edna & Harvey etc) is involved in. Shortly afterwards I saw that you had rated Memoria - the successor of Satinav - with 10/10 on Metacritic though. So I guess there's a good chance you've played both anyway.
No, I liked it. And the sequel (Memoria) is absolutely amazing. It's just Deponia I detest.

Last edited:
I am (and I highly enjoyed Crimes and Punishments). But Lamplight City is just plain boring. Now, keep in mind I only almost finished the second case (I'm traveling around and couldn't play since my last post), so this may be a partial impression. Anyway. There's no real investigation, just "go there, talk to that character, then go there and talk to the next one". There are a few hidden things that you can discover "on the side", toh. And you can fail cases and still keep playing (I'm definitely not a fan, but it's an interesting take). I really want to like, but I can't. I'm not having fun.

No, I liked it. And the sequel (Memoria) is absolutely amazing. It's just Deponia I detest.

Yeah I couldn't much get into Deponia either

Playing Memoria at the moment and quite like it

You guys ever played Anna‘s Quest? I feel so bad for the game and the dev because it‘s completely underrated and is always forgotten amongst all the other PnCs published (or developed) by Daedalic.

The puzzles strike the perfect balance, being neither too easy nor too hard and the fairy tale world and characters are just so whimsical and fun. One of my most favorite adventures despite the main char being a little girl. Wish Anna‘s Quest would‘ve gotten some more well deserved attention and I urge every adventure fan here to give it try.

I‘m at my second playthrough after two years at the moment and just falling in love with the game all over again :)

Last edited:
You guys ever played Anna‘s Quest? I feel so bad for the game and the dev because it‘s completely underrated and is always forgotten amongst all the other PnCs published (or developed) by Daedalic.

The puzzles strike the perfect balance, being neither too easy nor too hard and the fairy tale world and characters are just so whimsical and fun. One of my most favorite adventures despite the main char being a little girl. Wish Anna‘s Quest would‘ve gotten some more well deserved attention and I urge every adventure fan here to give it try.

I‘m at my second playthrough after two years at the moment and just falling in love with the game all over again :)
Ok will check it out. I think the developer is a funny guy

TripleSun

Looks like Chronicle of Innsmouth is getting a sequel named Chronicle of Innsmouth: Mountains of Madness and it's being kickstarted right now. Almost halfway funded after only a few days, not bad.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/201868287/chronicle-of-innsmouth-mountains-of-madness

Trailer looks nice, always loved games centered around icy, unforgiving landscapes. Thought the first game was good for what it was, but some of those puzzles were really weird..

So I just played through King's Quest VI: Heir Today Gone Tomorrow. Filling out some of the gaps in my adventure game classics backlog. It's the only King's Quest game I've played except for the 2015 episodic reboot. It was a really great game. I expected to like it because of it's pedigree (Jane Jensen is a great writer) and reputation but I liked it even more than I assumed I would. Especially for an extremely conventional fairy tale fantasy. The quality of writing, performance and visuals really elevate it. It takes what could have been rote or mundane and makes it pleasantly familiar. The variety helps too. Each Isle being a deliberate spin on different popular stories or mythology kept it fresh.

I did edge up against some of the frustrations of Sierra's game design. I basically made it through the entire game without issue but hit a dead end in the final 5 minutes because of an unresolved puzzle chain from the start of the game. It was the one thing I was forced to look up in a walkthrough then subsequently restart & speed-run the game skipping all the dialogue, to get back where I was.

Most of the other dead ends in the game (the ones I could notice) are at least telegraphed. You're warned that you don't have what you need before entering the catacombs. You can visit the Isle Of Mist at least once before being captured. But this one -- giving Jolo the ring so later on he'll swap the genie's lamp -- has the appearance of being entirely optional. I had already given the ring to Casima's nightingale and was blissfully unaware of my error for hours until the game's final moments. It's odd to think how easily things like this could have been changed for the better.

That sucky bit aside, I had a phenomenal time with the game. I may jump back into it one day and try and figure out what the just what that bottle of milk is for. After I listen to the credits theme a few hundred more times.

GIIIIIRLLL IN THE TOOOOOOWWWERRRRR!!!

So I just played through King's Quest VI: Heir Today Gone Tomorrow. Filling out some of the gaps in my adventure game classics backlog. It's the only King's Quest game I've played except for the 2015 episodic reboot. It was a really great game. I expected to like it because of it's pedigree (Jane Jensen is a great writer) and reputation but I liked it even more than I assumed I would. Especially for an extremely conventional fairy tale fantasy. The quality of writing, performance and visuals really elevate it. It takes what could have been rote or mundane and makes it pleasantly familiar. The variety helps too. Each Isle being a deliberate spin on different popular stories or mythology kept it fresh.

I did edge up against some of the frustrations of Sierra's game design. I basically made it through the entire game without issue but hit a dead end in the final 5 minutes because of an unresolved puzzle chain from the start of the game. It was the one thing I was forced to look up in a walkthrough then subsequently restart & speed-run the game skipping all the dialogue, to get back where I was.

Most of the other dead ends in the game (the ones I could notice) are at least telegraphed. You're warned that you don't have what you need before entering the catacombs. You can visit the Isle Of Mist at least once before being captured. But this one -- giving Jolo the ring so later on he'll swap the genie's lamp -- has the appearance of being entirely optional. I had already given the ring to Casima's nightingale and was blissfully unaware of my error for hours until the game's final moments. It's odd to think how easily things like this could have been changed for the better.

That sucky bit aside, I had a phenomenal time with the game. I may jump back into it one day and try and figure out what the just what that bottle of milk is for. After I listen to the credits theme a few hundred more times.

GIIIIIRLLL IN THE TOOOOOOWWWERRRRR!!!

I also grew up in the Lucas Arts camp. Some Leisure Suit Larry title was my only Sierra game back in the 90s and perma death or being able to get stuck in an adventure always deterred me.

But as I already wrote a while ago, I was blown away when I finally played KQ VI for the first time about 1 1/2 years ago. The game is a masterpiece, multiple endings, multiple playthrough paths, top notch narration, puzzles amazingly balanced and logical, very few mean permadeath scenes and only one or two situations where you have to reload a former savepoint because of packing a wrong item into your inventory (Labyrinth). Only other minor criticism would be the cliched story but with all the beatiful and fun NPC characters that‘s something very easy to overlook.

It‘s just such a pity no other King’s Quest ever reached this quality. I was torturing myself through V the other day but the game is brutal regarding permadeath, dead ends and illogical puzzles. And VII isn‘t bad but the voice acting, the slow walking and the total change of pace of the princesses character and the Disney artstyle just put it well below VI. VIII isn‘t even worth talking about and I - IV alas are text adventures that, let’s face it, have aged horribly, especially compared to Point’n’Click. I sometimes consider playing the PnC fan remakes of the older parts but haven‘t gotten around to it yet. Also hearing mixed reviews.

I played KQ VI also after the reboot and it‘s really cool how many references you get from the reboot when playing one of the classic parts (mainly looking at you, underground skeletons :D )

Edit: The same thing with the lamp happened to me on my 2nd playthrough. Apparently got lucky on my first playthough but agreed, it was very annoying to know you have to go quite a bit back because the game didn’t warn you about a missing item. Typical Sierra design, just glad it’s rather rare in this particular game.

Oh wait. I was thinking of Nelly Cootalot actually :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Oh pity :) Game doesn‘t look too shabby either though. Let‘s make a deal, I give Nelly Cootaloot a try and you check out Anna‘s Quest ;)

Last edited:
Calling the early King's Quest games text adventures is a bit weird considering they're some of the defining games for the graphic adventure genre. Which Roberta Williams is typically credited as creating. But I get that you're referring to the text parser they used for verb commands. I don't mind the SCI parser interface personally. At least I didn't mind it in Laura Bow which is the only game I've ever played of that kind. Although I could easily imagine a game with less synonyms being a nightmare.

I am, like you, turned off by the excessively punishing design. I dread the idea of having to replay an entire game again because of cheesy dead ends. I heard the Space Quest series is better in that regard. I'll probably do some research into which game is generally considered the series highlight and check that out eventually. It's a shame that you say KQ7 & 8 aren't all that great. It is nice to play these classic era, high production quality, adventure games with a distinctly different vibe to the LucasArts games. Gabriel Knight and now King's Quest 6; they have a very novel-esque feeling to them. Whereas the LucasArts games definitely feel more like movies or cartoons.

Heir Today in particular almost felt like a book on tape in certain moments. Thanks in large part to the awesome silky smooth voiced narration. Which lead to some really compelling moments like confronting death in the underworld. Where very little happened visually but the narration gave the scene a lot of power.

Calling the early King's Quest games text adventures is a bit weird considering they're some of the defining games for the graphic adventure genre. Which Roberta Williams is typically credited as creating. But I get that you're referring to the text parser they used for verb commands. I don't mind the SCI parser interface personally. At least I didn't mind it in Laura Bow which is the only game I've ever played of that kind. Although I could easily imagine a game with less synonyms being a nightmare.

I am, like you, turned off by the excessively punishing design. I dread the idea of having to replay an entire game again because of cheesy dead ends. I heard the Space Quest series is better in that regard. I'll probably do some research into which game is generally considered the series highlight and check that out eventually. It's a shame that you say KQ7 & 8 aren't all that great. It is nice to play these classic era, high production quality, adventure games with a distinctly different vibe to the LucasArts games. Gabriel Knight and now King's Quest 6; they have a very novel-esque feeling to them. Whereas the LucasArts games definitely feel more like movies or cartoons.

Heir Today in particular almost felt like a book on tape in certain moments. Thanks in large part to the awesome silky smooth voiced narration. Which lead to some really compelling moments like confronting death in the underworld. Where very little happened visually but the narration gave the scene a lot of power.

Very well put! If Lucas Arts are the comic books of the 90s adventure scene, most Sierra games (leaving out LSL) are the novels. And you're right, the narration of VI is so top-notch, especially for a 90s game and still holds up amazingly well today (like the whole game) - "Alexander this, Alexander that" often gives a very welcome comical relief even in scenes when he gets tricked/killed - I sometimes let the Genie trick me on purpose just to hear the voice over :)

Unfortunately VIII isn't even an adventure anymore, rather some weird 3D action-adventure hybrid. It came out in a time when classical PnC adventures weren't considered potential financial successes anymore and everybody was talking about the genre being dead in the water.

3D was the newest hype but it just wasn't Roberta Williams field of expertise which really shows in the game. Recycled, ugly backgrounds with a faceless main character, jumping and repetitive melee fights. Iparchive.org puts it really well when they say "It abandons everything that the King's Quest series had - interesting stories, challenging puzzles, and the beloved main characters of the royal family of Daventry."

And yes, I was talking about the text parser ;) (you're completely correct, they aren't pure text adventures of course). I grew up a little too late for getting into text (parser) adventures (was 11 when DotT came out for example) and now I'm having a really hard time playing these classics with a Parser Interface. As I said, gotta give the fan remakes a shot one day though. But if everything I read is true, especially the first three parts are very unforgiving considering dead ends and permadeath too. At least the originals.

Last edited:
Very well put! If Lucas Arts are the comic books of the 90s adventure scene, most Sierra games (leaving out LSL) are the novels. And you're right, the narration of VI is so top-notch, especially for a 90s game and still holds up amazingly well today (like the whole game) - "Alexander this, Alexander that" often gives a very welcome comical relief even in scenes when he gets tricked/killed - I sometimes let the Genie trick me on purpose just to hear the voice over :)

Unfortunately VIII isn't even an adventure anymore, rather some weird 3D action-adventure hybrid. It came out in a time when classical PnC adventures weren't considered potential financial successes anymore and everybody was talking about the genre being dead in the water.

3D was the newest hype but it just wasn't Roberta Williams field of expertise which really shows in the game. Recycled, ugly backgrounds with a faceless main character, jumping and repetitive melee fights. Iparchive.org puts it really well when they say "It abandons everything that the King's Quest series had - interesting stories, challenging puzzles, and the beloved main characters of the royal family of Daventry."

And yes, I was talking about the text parser ;) (you're completely correct, they aren't pure text adventures of course). I grew up a little too late for getting into text (parser) adventures (was 11 when DotT came out for example) and now I'm having a really hard time playing these classics with a Parser Interface. As I said, gotta give the fan remakes a shot one day though. But if everything I read is true, especially the first three parts are very unforgiving considering dead ends and permadeath too. At least the originals.

I was 11 too when DOTT came out, my favourite PC game of all time xD

I was 11 too when DOTT came out, my favourite PC game of all time xD
Wholeheartedly agree - I think my profile picture says it all :)

Don’t believe there’s another game I’ve played through as often as DotT over the years. It was my first Point’n’Click adventure and is mainly responsible for my falling in love with the genre many moons ago.

The time travel mechanic and the puzzles are completely brilliant, plus one of the first adventure games with full voice over and the characters are just so memorable - Especially the ones in the past.

The founding fathers are completely genius and I’ll always remember the "DotT amendment" to the constitution from the 18th century:
"George says every American should have a vacuum cleaner in their basement" :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
I grew with 80s Lucasarts games (Zak, Maniac and Last Crusade) where you could die or reach a dead end. Still prefer the 90s games. DOTT has myfavourite characters but MI2 has the best world settings

It is a pity that Lucasarts never entered FMV adventure games with real actors though.

RAIDEN1

I grew with 80s Lucasarts games (Zak, Maniac and Last Crusade) where you could die or reach a dead end. Still prefer the 90s games. DOTT has myfavourite characters but MI2 has the best world settings

It is a pity that Lucasarts never entered FMV adventure games with real actors though.
Let alone a FMV adventure, its more of a pity that LucasArts never brought out a Star Wars point-and-click game in the vein of Fate of Atlantis!!

C0Co1PO.gif

Ivellios

Im not really a fan of this genre, but that changed with one game: Unavowed

It is a great game with superb story, characters and writing, i really recommend anyone who likes a good story to try it, even those who dont like point and click.

After finishing it im trying to know other past games from the same developer, Wadjeteye Games. Currently im playing Blackwell series and it is just as good.

Off topic: I tried to put a image of the game here but always received an error, why is that?

Last edited:
lol all you guys are old. I was like one year old when Day Of The Tentacle came out.

It is a great game with superb story, characters and writing, i really recommend anyone who likes a good story to try it, even those who dont like point and click.

After finishing it im trying to know other past games from the same developer, Wadjeteye Games. Currently im playing Blackwell series and it is just as good.

Off topic: I tried to put a image of the game here but always received an error, why is that?

After you're done with the Blackwell series -- which is fantastic -- you should check out Technobabylon. It's the best Wadjet Eye game in my opinion.

petran79

Banned
Let alone a FMV adventure, its more of a pity that LucasArts never brought out a Star Wars point-and-click game in the vein of Fate of Atlantis!!

They only used FMV actors in Dark Forces. While other companies needed to hire external studios, Lucasarts had all the connections yet made so little out of it

Ivellios

lol all you guys are old. I was like one year old when Day Of The Tentacle came out.

After you're done with the Blackwell series -- which is fantastic -- you should check out Technobabylon. It's the best Wadjet Eye game in my opinion.

Thanks for the recommendation!

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I am (and I highly enjoyed Crimes and Punishments).

Peak Sherlock. My wife and I play investigative / mystery games together regularly, and C&P was one of my favorites.

We also have gotten quite a lot of enjoyment out of LA Noire together, which I'd unfortunately avoided for so long due to strongly disliking Rockstar, not realizing it was primarily the branchild of a very different team.

Hi there,

welcome to the genre. :)

I can also recommend Shardlight and Primordia. Both weren’t developed but just published by Wadjet Eye games though. They have a little bit more focus on inventory puzzles than Blackwell or Unavowed but are still unmistakeable Wadjet Eye games (published or developed, most Wadjet Eye games have a very distinctive style and athmosphere).

Regarding the picture issue: I have that problem too once in a while and got no idea why. But as a workaround I just use https://imgbb.com/, upload my pic(s) there, select "BBCode full linked" after the upload (or "BBCode thumbnail linked" depending on the size of the picture I want to link) and just copy and paste the first code into my post here, see pic below:

I know this is just a workaround but at least it’s working. As I said also have no idea why some of my images are giving me an error if I use the standard forum way but hope this helps!

Last edited:

Ivellios

Hi there,

welcome to the genre. :)

I can also recommend Shardlight and Primordia. Both weren’t developed but just published by Wadjet Eye games though. They have a little bit more focus on inventory puzzles than Blackwell or Unavowed but are still unmistakeable Wadjet Eye games (published or developed, most Wadjet Eye games have a very distinctive style and athmosphere).

Regarding the picture issue: I have that problem too once in a while and got no idea why. But as a workaround I just use https://imgbb.com/, upload my pic(s) there, select "BBCode full linked" after the upload (or "BBCode thumbnail linked" depending on the size of the picture I want to link) and just copy and paste the first code into my post here, see pic below:

I know this is just a workaround but at least it’s working. As I said also have no idea why some of my images are giving me an error if I use the standard forum way but hope this helps!

Thanks for this recommendation!

You mean these games are more puzzle focused? Generally i did not play point and click too much because i got stuck on the puzzles far too much, i dont have much patience for these (Grim Fandango trauma) but nowadays i just use a walkthrough with a clear conscience so that is not a issue.

Thanks for this image site, i will start using it from now on

Thanks for this recommendation!

You mean these games are more puzzle focused? Generally i did not play point and click too much because i got stuck on the puzzles far too much, i dont have much patience for these (Grim Fandango trauma) but nowadays i just use a walkthrough with a clear conscience so that is not a issue.

Thanks for this image site, i will start using it from now on

Yeah maybe a little more puzzle focused. Unavowed and Blackwell, which are both developed and published by Wadjet Eye, are rather unique in the regard that they’re more "research and story focused" (don’t know how else to put it but hope you know what i mean :) ) than the games only published by them, even though those are also still "very Wadjet Eye". Technobabylon is also only published by them but all three (Technobabylon, Shardlight, Primordia) still fit very neatly into their game catalogue.

By that I mainly mean - even if they’re sometimes a little more focused on using inventory items for puzzles - all of those games still have this unique Wadjet Eye style and feeling where research and paying attention to the game’s world and lore are still much more important than in Point’n’Click games from other companies.

The three mentioned games certainly have a few more "classic" puzzles but don’t worry, they usually make very good sense and won’t test your patience, a walkthrough is rarely necessary - I think even for newcomers to the genre. Iirc Primordia is still the most puzzle heavy of the three. Maybe give Technobabylon and/or Shardlight a try and you’ll probably know if you like the other one(s).

Edit: Grim Fandango is a very hard game, even for long-time Point’n’Clickers and has some pretty tough or even illogical puzzles. Never was very into the game myself (starting with the controls) and probably would’ve gotten a PnC Trauma myself if Grim Fandango would’ve been my first ;)

Last edited:

Ivellios

Yeah maybe a little more puzzle focused. Unavowed and Blackwell, which are both developed and published by Wadjet Eye, are rather unique in the regard that they’re more "research and story focused" (don’t know how else to put it but hope you know what i mean :) ) than the games only published by them, even though those are also still "very Wadjet Eye". Technobabylon is also only published by them but all three (Technobabylon, Shardlight, Primordia) still fit very neatly into their game catalogue.

By that I mainly mean - even if they’re sometimes a little more focused on using inventory items for puzzles - all of those games still have this unique Wadjet Eye style and feeling where research and paying attention to the game’s world and lore are still much more important than in Point’n’Click games from other companies.

The three mentioned games certainly have a few more "classic" puzzles but don’t worry, they usually make very good sense and won’t test your patience, a walkthrough is rarely necessary - I think even for newcomers to the genre. Iirc Primordia is still the most puzzle heavy of the three. Maybe give Technobabylon and/or Shardlight a try and you’ll probably know if you like the other one(s).

Edit: Grim Fandango is a very hard game, even for long-time Point’n’Clickers and has some pretty tough or even illogical puzzles. Never was very into the game myself (starting with the controls) and probably would’ve gotten a PnC Trauma myself if Grim Fandango would’ve been my first ;)

Glad these other games are not like Grim Fandango, this was definitely my biggest problem with the genre.

I will play Technobabylon first but will slowly get the other ones as well, since these games are not especially long.

Glad these other games are not like Grim Fandango, this was definitely my biggest problem with the genre.

I will play Technobabylon first but will slowly get the other ones as well, since these games are not especially long.

Most other LucasArts games aren't even like Grim Fandango in terms of puzzle design. Grim is a particular case among their lineup for punishing and weird puzzle design. Games like Fate Of Atlantis, Day Of The Tentacle and Secret of Monkey Island are all much better in that regard. If you find yourself interested in more games after the Wadjet Eye stuff it's definitely worth looking into.

Most other LucasArts games aren't even like Grim Fandango in terms of puzzle design. Grim is a particular case among their lineup for punishing and weird puzzle design. Games like Fate Of Atlantis, Day Of The Tentacle and Secret of Monkey Island are all much better in that regard. If you find yourself interested in more games after the Wadjet Eye stuff it's definitely worth looking into.

I agree about DotT and Fate of the Atlantis, also about Secret of Monkey Island to a degree but imo the latter is a smidge tougher than the other two. The hardest still is Monkey Island II, especially with
all those red herring inventory items, mainly from the shop - Without a walkthrough or having already played through the game one runs around with a pretty blown up inventory throughout much of the game and the many items you never need can certainly increase the game’s difficulty. Can’t remember if they still kept those with the remake though. The final fight from Secret is rather tough too.

Either way, if you ever decide to give one or more of these games a try definitely go with the remakes (except for Fate which alas doesn’t have one). The updated graphics are nice but it’s mainly the modernised controls which are just so much more comfortable to use.

Imo the most newcomer friendly Monkey Islands are either Curse (also my favorite entry in the series, just love the new graphics style, the updated controls, the new characters and especially the return of (upgraded) sword fighting - And the whole game isn’t even in need of a remake as it still holds up very well today) - Or only judging by difficulty even Tales of MI by Telltale which is still (and with TT’s recent goodbye probably will forever stay) my favorite classic adventure by them.

Ivellios

I agree about DotT and Fate of the Atlantis, also about Secret of Monkey Island to a degree but imo the latter is a smidge tougher than the other two. The hardest still is Monkey Island II, especially with
all those red herring inventory items, mainly from the shop - Without a walkthrough or having already played through the game one runs around with a pretty blown up inventory throughout much of the game and the many items you never need can certainly increase the game’s difficulty. Can’t remember if they still kept those with the remake though. The final fight from Secret is rather tough too.

Either way, if you ever decide to give one or more of these games a try definitely go with the remakes (except for Fate which alas doesn’t have one). The updated graphics are nice but it’s mainly the modernised controls which are just so much more comfortable to use.

Imo the most newcomer friendly Monkey Islands are either Curse (also my favorite entry in the series, just love the new graphics style, the updated controls, the new characters and especially the return of (upgraded) sword fighting - And the whole game isn’t even in need of a remake as it still holds up very well today) - Or only judging by difficulty even Tales of MI by Telltale which is still (and with TT’s recent goodbye probably will forever stay) my favorite classic adventure by them.

I think it will take a fairly good time for me to finish the wadget games recommended in this thread, but after that if these other adventure games have good story, characters and writing in definetely gonna try them, so thanks for listing them for me.

I think it will take a fairly good time for me to finish the wadget games recommended in this thread, but after that if these other adventure games have good story, characters and writing in definetely gonna try them, so thanks for listing them for me.

I mainly built up from the Lucas Arts recommendation from ViT and besides from The Dig, Loom, Grim Fandango and partly MI 4 I love all the classic Lucas Arts Point’n’Click adventures to bits myself. But I think there’s a good chance you might not enjoy them as much - At least if you tackle them directly after being finished with Wadjet Eye.

Let’s face it, it’s rather hard to get stuck in Unavowed or Blackwell for too long and most (Lucas Arts) adventures have at least a few odd puzzles that might be considered illogical or easy to get stuck on (luckily Grim Fandango is rather extreme in regards to puzzle toughness though). If one doesn’t have the patience for this it’s probably easier to get frustrated and give up on a game.

If you are really interested to try other Point’n’Clicks after you’re done with Wadjet Eye I’d maybe recommend some other, "easier" adventures before tackling some of the classics from Lucas Arts. Like The Inner World (which has a puzzle help function if getting stuck) or the Broken Sword which is also more story and less puzzle heavy than some of the other old school adventures (plus, the remakes also have a hint function).

Just my 2 cents, usually the more you play those games the more you get used to them and needing walkthroughs or getting stuck doesn’t happen as often anymore. Besides a lot of the newer PnCs are more forgiving than the classics from Lucas Arts or especially Sierra.

Last edited:

This looks ... interesting. PRIM, classic PnC with one click controls, Tim Burton inspired optics (and according to the devs lots of challenging puzzles), slated for release 2019. The devs are aiming for both a demo and release in 2019. Ambitious schedule, hope they can keep it up.

Last edited:
Pushed back (2019+):

- Asylum Senscape was announced 2010 with a Kickstarter from 2013. Although they released a gameplay video in December 2017 and are in Alpha now judging from some (dev) forum comments probably the soonest we can expect the game is 2019.
- Trüberbook got pushed to Q1 2019 (planned release, info from June 28 dev Kickstarter update)
- Lancelot‘s Hangover still has 2018 as release date on its homepage. Its last Kickstarter update was from May 2017, last steam entry 2016). Still 5 months of hope left though ;)
- The devs of Lona: Realms of Color got some not so good feedback about some aspects of their game at an IndieGoGo event this year. So they planned to rework those portions which is going to push the planned release quite a bit back. This one is probably also gonna be 2019 at the earliest.
- Rainswept: The game is apparently complete in terms of Gameplay and story but the dev just started an IndieGoGo campaign on 24th July to be able to fund adding missing content like cutscenes, dialogue etc. Atm the game is slated for release in January 2019
- Blacksad also got pushed back to 2019

On track for 2018/Slightly delayed:

- Mage‘s Initiation couldn‘t hold up Q1-Q2 but on their Kickstarter they‘re hopeful for a release in Q3 or Q4 2018
- Guard Duty got its internal Alpha underway today. It won‘t be their targetted early 2018 release date but with a bit of luck we‘ll see it by the end of the year (or 2019)
- Lamplight City was slated for April - End of June. Didn‘t happen but still looks good for a 2018 release date
- Even though Strangeland doesn‘t have a definitive release date atm the game is said to be almost done after having been in development hell for a while
- Whispers of a Machine, The Poisoned Pawn: A Tex Murphy Adventure, Lorelai and The Last Crown: Blackenrock also seem on track for 2018.
- Gibbous: A Cthulu adventure (can’t wait for this one, it looks amazing) has its finishing touches put on
- And as you all know, Unavowed is due in about 2 weeks :)

Did a quick search and sadly looks as if none of the titles listed in my quote above (except Lamplight City and Unavowed ofc) that still had a planned 2018 release three months ago will be coming out this year anymore.

Quite a few titles in the OP unfortunately were either already delayed to 2019+ or cancelled altogether. If most of the listed games can make 2019 really happen it’s at least possible that it’ll be a busy year for PnC fans, until then I guess it’s back to replaying some classics (or discovering the odd hidden game from Point’n’Click past :) )

Edit: A 2018 release of Lancelot’s Hangover still is in the realm of possibilities though. 2 1/2 months ago the dev wrote on his Kickstarter page: "Lancelot has now a Steam page which means the game is on the finish line and will be shipped soon ! Huzzah !"

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
In the MI2 remaster they strangely decided to remove the scene where Guybrush calls a hint line. This was one of the funniest moments in the game.

Ivellios

I mainly built up from the Lucas Arts recommendation from ViT and besides from The Dig, Loom, Grim Fandango and partly MI 4 I love all the classic Lucas Arts Point’n’Click adventures to bits myself. But I think there’s a good chance you might not enjoy them as much - At least if you tackle them directly after being finished with Wadjet Eye.

Let’s face it, it’s rather hard to get stuck in Unavowed or Blackwell for too long and most (Lucas Arts) adventures have at least a few odd puzzles that might be considered illogical or easy to get stuck on (luckily Grim Fandango is rather extreme in regards to puzzle toughness though). If one doesn’t have the patience for this it’s probably easier to get frustrated and give up on a game.

If you are really interested to try other Point’n’Clicks after you’re done with Wadjet Eye I’d maybe recommend some other, "easier" adventures before tackling some of the classics from Lucas Arts. Like The Inner World (which has a puzzle help function if getting stuck) or the Broken Sword which is also more story and less puzzle heavy than some of the other old school adventures (plus, the remakes also have a hint function).

Just my 2 cents, usually the more you play those games the more you get used to them and needing walkthroughs or getting stuck doesn’t happen as often anymore. Besides a lot of the newer PnCs are more forgiving than the classics from Lucas Arts or especially Sierra.

Thanks for these recommendations, although these days i just use a walkthrough if i get stuck in these particular games.

As long as they have a good story i can bear the hard puzzles

Hi guys,

Leisure Suit Larry - Wet Dreams Don't Dry has been released 3 days ago.

Haven't played it so far as I just found about the release myself but reading mostly positive stuff about it, especially the puzzle design (a few find some puzzles too hard though). The humor draws mixed reactions but I guess that's expected from a Larry Game.

Wasn't a big fan of the old Sierra Larry Games but this one looks interesting, probably gonna give it a whirl soon.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
I really love Al Lowe's Larry, and I don't need to play this to know I will hate it beyond reason. For what I've seen, it's completely wrong, from head to toe.

Changing subject: Have you guys played Paradigm? It's a really weird, but really smart and witty game and I really liked it. Also, it's really, really weird.

I really love Al Lowe's Larry, and I don't need to play this to know I will hate it beyond reason. For what I've seen, it's completely wrong, from head to toe.

Changing subject: Have you guys played Paradigm? It's a really weird, but really smart and witty game and I really liked it. Also, it's really, really weird.

Already guessed your disapproval of the game from your reaction when someone posted a trailer a bit back :)
But wanted to inform others about the release in case somebody else is also interested.

Yeah played Paradigm. Found it ok. It‘s funny but found the puzzles too easy and just sooo much talking and lenghty comments about so many unusable items. But the characters are weird and cool, like the beatbox plant :D

Two hours into the Larry Game, really positively surprised so far. Puzzles are just the right difficulty and the story and cultural references are pretty funny. I also like the time jump idea. Inventory blows up really fast though so guess it‘s wait and see regarding possible illogical puzzles.

So far I'm rather glad about this game, most other PnCs set for this year have either been delayed or cancelled. Vey low activity in the genre atm - especially for pre X-Mas time. And this one is done very well imo - Definitely agree with the positive (80s and 90s) ratings.

Last edited:

Little Misfortune trailer, new game from the Fran Bow devs. Looks pretty cool. I got fairly far into Fran Bow before but some other games pulled my attention from it. I enjoyed what I played though. Looks like they're doing branching paths this time. I'll be interested to see the reception for this game once it drops. I know Fran Bow had a lot of hype and somewhat of a cult following.

Fuz

Banned
We just released a big update to our demo to The Funny Boneyard (while work on the full game continues full steam ahead). To celebrate, we also made a cheesy trailer!

<3 SCUMM interface. Gonna try it now.

Edit: Finally got to try it. I like it, for what I've seen. So far: Nice art style, but you'll need a bit of polishing, it looks too rough now. Good, quirky writing. Pleasant music (but that dripping sound was driving me crazy) and decent puzzles for a prologue. It's a good start!

Last edited:

Red Thread Games said:
From the studio that brought you Dreamfall Chapters, and the creative team behind The Longest Journey and The Secret World, comes a first-person psychological mystery set in 1920s Norway.

The year is 1923. You play Edward Charles Harden, an American traveller who's come to Norway to find his missing sister. But you're not alone: at every step of the way, Edward's accompanied by his ward, Lissie; a gregarious, independent and enigmatic young woman. Together, you must explore this scenic coastal community — nestled amongst the fjords and mountains of rural Norway — in your search for Edward's sister, and unearth the darkness that lies beneath the picturesque surface.
Available 2019 on Steam for Windows and GOG.com for Windows. Coming to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

New 1st Person adventure from Ragnar Tørnquist and Red Thread Games. I loved what I played from them in Dreamfall Chapters: Final Cut and I expect further great things with Draugen. There's not to much to go on aside from the pedigree, a video and a few screenshots. But right off the bat I like the designs and aesthetic quite a bit. Definitely one to keep an eye on for me.

TripleSun

Still remember when this was announced so many years ago, recent trailer finally piqued my interest. Love having sidekicks and the atmosphere looks good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom