• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2013 The pixel hunt continues.

Stainless

I'm now a huge fan of the Humble Store - In the last week, I got Machinarium for $3.49, Dear Esther for $1.49, Legend of Dungeon for $1.49, Superbrothers: Sword and Sorcery for $3.25, and after completing Machinarium, I immediately bought Botanicula for $3.49. I'm honestly kind of amazed I got all five games for less than $14. I've played some of the rest of them after beating Machinarium, although admittedly on the Legend of Dungeon game I didn't get far (I got owned quick) Dear Esther was interesting but after sprinting constantly in Battlefield 4, it feels like the character is walking in molasses, lol

I've got my eye on a few games on GOG although I've made no purchases yet. (Gemini Rue, Rayman Origins, The Inner World for pc, The Cat Lady)

I've been getting back into adventure games recently and am absolutely loving it. Got a bunch of old ones cheap and even though I was sure the pixelated horror would be too much for me, it turns out these old games have so much character, both in terms of art design and storytelling, and are so well written, that they are more enjoyable than many newer, flashier games that suck at basic storytelling and creating human beings and scenarios that you are the least bit interested in. I'm also loving the relaxed laid, back nature of the storytelling, having it all unfold one click at a time.

It's all led me to read up on adventure games again and seeing that they are undergoing a bit of a renaissance, and then I read about Tim Schafer and Kickstarter and this awesome new adventure game coming out in January and I'm getting excited all over again.

I'm hoping the game is a success and along with other success stories like TellTale Games, we start getting publishers willing to spend money again on these kinds of games and have it lead to big, epic adventure titles the likes of which we saw in the early 90s. Seriously, this genre should never have died out.

Would be nice to see some big publishers get behind the genre but I think all the main ones are a lost cause. There have been some good mid sized publishers support the genre over the past 4-5 years. Also with the ability to self publishing on PC/mobile platforms lot more developers are getting back into creating them.

2014 sees the return of Tex Murphy, Guys from Andromeda, dreamfall, Tim Schafer, Gabriel Knight, part 2 of Broken Sword 5, so many more returns and new and original games, looking like a good year again.

I have almost done the 2014 thread, just need to sort pictures out and tidy up some links. Since I'm heading out soon to drink in the new year, I'll finish it tomorrow with a hang over and snacks.

nny

I've been getting back into adventure games recently and am absolutely loving it. Got a bunch of old ones cheap and even though I was sure the pixelated horror would be too much for me, it turns out these old games have so much character, both in terms of art design and storytelling, and are so well written, that they are more enjoyable than many newer, flashier games that suck at basic storytelling and creating human beings and scenarios that you are the least bit interested in. I'm also loving the relaxed laid, back nature of the storytelling, having it all unfold one click at a time.

As a big fan of the genre, reading this warms my heart. Welcome back!

)

Would be nice to see some big publishers get behind the genre but I think all the main ones are a lost cause. There have been some good mid sized publishers support the genre over the past 4-5 years. Also with the ability to self publishing on PC/mobile platforms lot more developers are getting back into creating them.

2014 sees the return of Tex Murphy, Guys from Andromeda, dreamfall, Tim Schafer, Gabriel Knight, part 2 of Broken Sword 5, so many more returns and new and original games, looking like a good year again.

I have almost done the 2014 thread, just need to sort pictures out and tidy up some links. Since I'm heading out soon to drink in the new year, I'll finish it tomorrow with a hang over and snacks.

Sounds like a lot of good stuff coming up. And I didn't know about the new Broken Sword, so will definitely be getting that.

As a big fan of the genre, reading this warms my heart. Welcome back!

)

Thanks!

Top Bottom