• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2013 The pixel hunt continues.

Donald Dowell and the Ghost of Barker Manor, an Italian free P&C adventure is now available in English:

http://www.freankexpo.net/500/donald-dowell-eng

It's a little rough around the edges (some puzzles are kinda obscure and the humor is a bit hit and miss), but it's pretty long and the graphics are very pretty. It's good enough that I say Ape Marina (the devolper) could have sold it for 5 bucks and still it would be worth a try.

hmsx5xs.jpg

U8lTR1I.jpg

EDIT. Hmmm... banned website provider. I'll rehost the images and search for an alternative download page.
EDIT2. This should work

TripleSun

I just beat Blackwell Deception and after these 4 games, I've fallen in so much love with this series. The plot twists and the writing are so good. It's sad there is only one game left, but I'm anticipating another masterpiece!

Zaph

Struggling to get through Critter Chronicles, really not into it, does it improve/change at all after the first hour or so? No idea what possessed them to take the worst character from an otherwise excellent PnC (probably best one in years), and give him his own sequel. Maybe he's funnier in German?

epmode

I just beat Blackwell Deception and after these 4 games, I've fallen in so much love with this series. The plot twists and the writing are so good. It's sad there is only one game left, but I'm anticipating another masterpiece!

The only thing I'd like more than another Blackwell game is to see a brand new game from Dave Gilbert. He's really talented and I love the way he's slowly building Wadjet Eye.

Mr_Zombie

I have to admit, I used a solution at that point. I tried, I really tried not to, but I (or the game) failed. IIRC it's the only so nonsensical puzzle in the game.

inm8num2

For some reason that puzzle never bothered me all that much, and I was able to figure it out after 6-7 tries.

The lock pick puzzle? Now that one's a real bitch.

Sloane

Banned
I have to admit, I used a solution at that point. I tried, I really tried not to, but I (or the game) failed. IIRC it's the only so nonsensical puzzle in the game.
Yeah, I figured it out somehow but that puzzle was pretty stupid -- the only stupid one in an otherwise great adventure game though. Loved story, atmosphere, and even almost every other puzzle back then.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Struggling to get through Critter Chronicles, really not into it, does it improve/change at all after the first hour or so? No idea what possessed them to take the worst character from an otherwise excellent PnC (probably best one in years), and give him his own sequel. Maybe he's funnier in German?

Which game is that? The Book of Unwritten Tales?

ItIsOkBro

Yeah seriously. I stopped playing the game because of this.

The game was good too till that point.

I just used a solution as well and, I don't have any baking experience but I still think the reasoning in unintuitive.

Same here, but I sort-of know how to bake.

Like, is it a baking rule that
there's more sugar than milk and butter?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Yup, absolutely outstanding. The English localisation is flawless.

BoUT and Gray Matter are probably my two favourite recent PnC's.

Cool, gonna get it! So getting the pack from steam which includes Critter Chronicles is not worth it? 20$ for both vs just $10 for The Book of Unwritten Tales?

Zaph

Cool, gonna get it! So getting the pack from steam which includes Critter Chronicles is not worth it? 20$ for both vs just $10 for The Book of Unwritten Tales?
I've only played the first 90min-ish of CC, so my opinion might be skewed, but no, don't think it's worth it. Play the first, see how much you like the third character, and proceed accordingly.

Yea I can't recommend Critter Chronicles either. Not sure why they made that expansion at all. The base game is amazing though. Every P&C fan should play that one for sure.

TripleSun

Finished Gemini Rue and it had it flaws, but I always have a soft spot for these kind of dark, rainy atmosphere games. Was good for what it was. Onto Resonance, so excited.

Bebpo

Banned
You're in for a treat. Resonance is great with some interesting puzzles.

Otoh, I'd say lower expectations considerably going to Resonance from Gemini Rue. There's some good puzzles in there and great art, but also a lot of tedious puzzles because there are so few screen locations and controlling multiple characters. Also the story starts good but ends stupid imo.

Superman

So happy that Shadowgate has been funded. Loved that game on the NES. (Will look for release date now, unaware if its available now or not)

Broken Sword: The Serpents Curse has definitely reinvigorated my desire to play some point-and-click adventures. Will check out quite a few in the OP.

Mr_Zombie

Otoh, I'd say lower expectations considerably going to Resonance from Gemini Rue. There's some good puzzles in there and great art, but also a lot of tedious puzzles because there are so few screen locations and controlling multiple characters. Also the story starts good but ends stupid imo.

I must say that I 100% disagree. Some plot points that appear at the end of the game are stupid, but I really liked the twist and that the game had multiple endings. And the only tedious moment was the dream sequence. God, that was a chore to go through (if you wanted to collect all memories).

After playing a tiny bit of the chapter 6/7 beta for Moebius, I noticed the game seems to be looking much better. There's less of a clash between the art and the character models. Not sure if I'm seeing things. I'm getting excited for the entire game to come out now.

epmode

I feel like Gemini Rue is a little overrated in most places. I'll grant you that the art and setting are lovely and we could always use more cyberpunk but most of Wadjet Eye's other games are better.

Coop

After playing a tiny bit of the chapter 6/7 beta for Moebius, I noticed the game seems to be looking much better. There's less of a clash between the art and the character models. Not sure if I'm seeing things. I'm getting excited for the entire game to come out now.

That's good to hear. I played the first beta and wasn't a big fan of the graphics.

I still can't get over how ridiculous his name is.

That's good to hear. I played the first beta and wasn't a big fan of the graphics.

I still can't get over how ridiculous his name is.

Yes I was having major issues with the art style. It seemed all over the place. Maybe it's just the one scene I saw. Id like to think they have been working at making sure everything looks as good as possible. The art seems a higher resolution as well.

But again, I played for maybe two minutes. Skipping text and looking to avoid as much as I could.

Roubjon

How is Daedalic's Night of the Rabbit? It looks really nice, but it is worth $10? Also I have actually never played a single Daedalic point and click yet, so I don't really know the quality of them. However, I am probably going to buy The Dark Eye ($5) and A New Beginning ($2.50).

How is Daedalic's Night of the Rabbit? It looks really nice, but it is worth $10? Also I have actually never played a single Daedalic point and click yet, so I don't really know the quality of them. However, I am probably going to buy The Dark Eye ($5) and A New Beginning ($2.50).

I liked it quite a bit...but you could probably wait it out until it's cheaper. Definitely get Dark Eye and A New Beginning for the prices.

Tizoc

GOG.com has another adventure game bundle that has Journey to the Center of the Earth and Amerzone.
Are either of these games good/worth getting?

Oh and we're a week away from 2014! Should a new thread be made or can we just change the title of this thread?

I've pre written a tiny bit for 2014 thread, need to get my butt in gear for that.
I'm going to change the format a bit, as updating was not good at all throughout the year. Make it a bit easier to keep up to date with stuff.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas.

inm8num2

I've pre written a tiny bit for 2014 thread, need to get my butt in gear for that.
I'm going to change the format a bit, as updating was not good at all throughout the year. Make it a bit easier to keep up to date with stuff.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas.

Thanks for taking the lead, FF!

Morzak

I really like most of the Deadalic Stuff, I like the humour in most and thought A New Beginning was a nice story and game, for <10$ you get you're moneys worth on all of them, at least in my opinion. I can't say much about the english localisation, but I always thought their German writing and voice acting is pretty good. The Puzzles are a bit nonsensical at times, so if you don't like that be aware.

GOG.com has another adventure game bundle that has Journey to the Center of the Earth and Amerzone.
Are either of these games good/worth getting?

Oh and we're a week away from 2014! Should a new thread be made or can we just change the title of this thread?

Good games, but Amerzone hasn't aged well visually. But in this genre especially I think we are able to look past that. It's a Benoit Sokal game (Syberia, Paradise, Sinking Island) so it's worth checking out. I enjoyed both Journey and Amerzone.

This is pretty good:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=740908

Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok is an adventure / RPG hybrid. Like in many adventure games, you have a world to save, and must use your wit, guile and inventory to puzzle your way through. Like in many roleplaying games, you can customize your character with various classes and skills, and must train yourself in combat to stand a chance against the fierce monsters in your way.

The game is designed in the spirit and atmosphere of the classics, and strives to have the same high quality of art, music, and plot. With multiple character classes and several solutions to many puzzles, the game has excellent replayability.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wgzU3nybN5Y

Screens:

40.png

forest2.png

erana4.png

Download (~400MB): http://www.crystalshard.net/hq.htm

+ Pixel art (<100 backgrounds, >10,000 animation sprites)
+ Full voice acting
+ Multiple paths to victory

Top Bottom