• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2013 The pixel hunt continues.

Stainless

Was looking into The Inner World. Found it on their website, it's like $18 direct. I think it's $15 on Steam...but on Apple Store, for iPad, it's only $2.99 ??. There's nothing to indicate it as episodic, though. No ratings yet.

I also played 1st chapter of The Last Door. Enjoyed it. I hate how on iPad if you buy the chapters, you end up with different icons for each chapter of the game on your screen, hopefully later I can get the whole season.

wouwie

Was looking into The Inner World. Found it on their website, it's like $18 direct. I think it's $15 on Steam...but on Apple Store, for iPad, it's only $2.99 ??. There's nothing to indicate it as episodic, though. No ratings yet.

I also played 1st chapter of The Last Door. Enjoyed it. I hate how on iPad if you buy the chapters, you end up with different icons for each chapter of the game on your screen, hopefully later I can get the whole season.

I think that the price for The inner world is a special launch price. It is not episodic. However, if you buy now, you should probably wait until a patch is released for iOS since the game is crashing a lot. According to the facebook page of the game, Fizbin is aware of the problems and working hard on a patch.

Edit: a patch was released today, it seems. I wonder if it will run better now.

Stainless

I think that the price for The inner world is a special launch price. It is not episodic. However, if you buy now, you should probably wait until a patch is released for iOS since the game is crashing a lot. According to the facebook page of the game, Fizbin is aware of the problems and working hard on a patch.

Edit: a patch was released today, it seems. I wonder if it will run better now.

Awesome, thanks for the reply! I went ahead and bought the game since it's the full version and such a great price.

Also, The Cave is $4.99 on the App Store right now.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Awesome, thanks for the reply! I went ahead and bought the game since it's the full version and such a great price.

Also, The Cave is $4.99 on the App Store right now.

Some reviews say that the controls are bad on the iOS version. Is that overblown? Is the game worth it for iphone?

Soak it in bitches:

903533_10152096498718117_1311354753_o.jpg

wouwie

Daedalic announced a follow up to The Whispered World today. You can watch a CG trailer on Gametrailers. Looks very different from the original (apparently in 3D?) but definately looks interesting.

I quite enjoyed The Whispered World (though i never finished it) and i keep hoping that Daedalic will one day find the magic adventure formula (on top of those fantastic graphics) of interesting characters and a good story. I can't wait to see the first screenshots though. The Whispered World 1 looked fantastic.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I posted this in the Steam Thread a couple of day's ago, but I think it's got more place here. My apologies if this is not allowed.

Finished the first part of Broken Sword V, impressions;
* It's clearly a Broken Sword game.
* Great atmosphere that slowly starts to get more creepy the further you progress into the plot.
* Fun, logical puzzles. On the easy side, though.
* Intriguing story that starts out as a simple murder mystery, but slowly develops into a conspiracy which in it's turn evolves into something even more sinister.
* Great characters and brilliant voice acting. A couple of nice returning faces as well.
* ...it's Broken Sword alright, so unfortunately it's got some bugs, too. But nothing as serious as the infamous Syria/Spain bug. George's volume went up five points a couple of times and there was this one time where I looked at an object and George commented about something that wouldn't happen until five second later. The worst bug is an instant crash around 43%, when you talk with an old woman (to avoid spoilers) the game crashes at the moment you can ask her stuff. The fix? Switch the U.I from Modern to Classic. But as someone said before in this thread, they're planning to fix it in a patch next week.
* Visually, it looks better then expected. The 2D art is great, although it could use a higher resolution, and the 3D characters are decent most of the time. So, not always.
* Dialogue's are fantastic, some really well written stuff. George's dry humor is still intact.
* The game is really linear. I didn't mind and I don't understand how someone could, but I know some of you might. :p
* Trevor is awesome.

Took me around eight hours. I really liked it, but would also reccommend waiting for the second part.

Stainless

Some reviews say that the controls are bad on the iOS version. Is that overblown? Is the game worth it for iphone?

Not sure, I've only played the demo on PS3 so far.

The Inner World is a quite charming, clever and entertaining game. (I did get this on ipad3) It has a good hint system in case you get stumped. You can manage how prolific or specific the hints are, so there's little reason to stay stumped. The dialogue, story, voice acting and music/sound are very well done, also. I played the game for several hours yesterday, I have about 6 or 7 hours into it. Your play-time will vary depending how intuitive you are at the puzzles, of course.

In the time I've played, the app has only crashed about 3 or 4 times. The game saves frequently, or anytime you use/combine items or complete a puzzle. So if you crash, the game puts you right back where you were before, resulting in little to no frustration or lost progress.

Nudull

Banned
All this time, and I never realized this thread existed. Go figure, I'm only now beginning to realize how much I actually like the adventure genre. I loved The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us (so far), and I recently finished Back to the Future. (which was fun, but sort of drags in spots). Now, I'm branching out and trying other games like Full Throttle, Sam & Max Hit the Road and the Elvira games (including Waxworks). I may get Broken Sword 5 too, if it's a good jumping on point. :)

Zaph

You should play BS1 and BS2 first. They are timeless classics and though I enjoyed the first part of BS5 the first part is still the best game by far.
Haven't played BS1 and 2 in well over a decade. Are the director's cut/remastered versions good?

Trowe made a huge mess of things. The guy's unstable, and I can't imagine how he ever managed to work to get the LSL license in the first place.

Kinda regret I supported their kickstarter, but at least it was only for the minum pledge that got me a copy of the game. And it was definitely because of Al Lowe, and not Replay Games. Al Lowe seems to be a very likable guy, so I hope he enjoyed making the game at least.

Mr_Zombie

Haven't played BS1 and 2 in well over a decade. Are the director's cut/remastered versions good?

Haven't played BS2 DC yet.

BS1 DC, aside from fixed bugs (especially the goat one), new characters' portraits and one or two additional puzzle/screen also has additional sections with Nico that happens in the same time as the main events of the game. Nico's chapters have few good puzzles and give you some backstory to Nico's life. While I enjoyed playing them, I think Nico's story breaks the pacing of the game. It's obvious that those sections weren't originally in the game and were added later thus affecting the experience. Take the beginning for example - the game doesn't start with the original intro (the clown attacking the restaurant) but instead you first have to play through Nico witnessing another murder a night before it; thus instead of starting with the big boom, the game starts with a slow investigation. On the plus side, at least you know that while George was globetrottering, Nico wasn't just sitting in her apartment doing nothing all the time. :p

Also, the change in artstyle (between old cut-scenes/dialog closeups and new cut-scenes/character portraits) can be a little jarring. As can be the difference in sound quality (Nico's sections have much higher quality sound samples than the original game and it's noticeable - especially when you compare Nico's voice in those new sections of the game and her in the original game).

However, I can still recommend playing it. After all, it's still the original BS1 with fixed bugs and additional puzzles. And if you already played the original one, those differences in storytelling won't affect you.

And if you're planning on playing them on smartphone or tablet, the interface is fantastic. Seriously, after playing Broken Sword 1 on my phone I'm amazed that there are so few adventure games on touch devices.

Make a great come back. Do (another) remake of your old game. Retire again. :(
I wish Al Lowe would at least make a new, original LSL game.

inm8num2

Make a great come back. Do (another) remake of your old game. Retire again. :(
I wish Al Lowe would at least make a new, original LSL game.

LSL was fun while it lasted but I think if Al wants to make a new game, he should do something new. Hell, team up with the Two Guys or Jane Jensen.

Sucks :(

Is Trowe the guy who starting insulting the Space Quest guys out of the blue for no reason?

And continued to do that. When they posted their October update, he appeared in the comment field with long posts how he as a backer had no faith in them and in the project. Which is really odd behaviour when you're the CEO of a similiar company, with a similiar project.

He seems to have zero knowledge about how to act professionally.

epmode

I've never been a big fan of the Larry games but I backed that project simply because Al Lowe was involved. Now I'm glad that I only backed at the bare minimum.

Trowe is an asshole but that's been common knowledge for a while.

We don't really have to dig that much on him. He has done the damage to himself, and will have to work very hard to repair that reputation, if it's even possible.

Further speculation and investigations of what he have done or might have done will just derail this thread, which would be a shame considering how good it's been so far.

I looked at his Twitter feed and it's not pretty. You're right, no need to harp on the guy at this point. He probably needs mental help more than anything else. I removed the link from my post.

Rock Paper Shotgun also has a write-up on the whole Replay Games saga.

edit: Oh, I guess we're not linking to these things. But, it's on RPS if anyone wants to see it. I feel bad for Al.

Zaph

Haven't played BS2 DC yet.

BS1 DC, aside from fixed bugs (especially the goat one), new characters' portraits and one or two additional puzzle/screen also has additional sections with Nico that happens in the same time as the main events of the game. Nico's chapters have few good puzzles and give you some backstory to Nico's life. While I enjoyed playing them, I think Nico's story breaks the pacing of the game. It's obvious that those sections weren't originally in the game and were added later thus affecting the experience. Take the beginning for example - the game doesn't start with the original intro (the clown attacking the restaurant) but instead you first have to play through Nico witnessing another murder a night before it; thus instead of starting with the big boom, the game starts with a slow investigation. On the plus side, at least you know that while George was globetrottering, Nico wasn't just sitting in her apartment doing nothing all the time. :p

Also, the change in artstyle (between old cut-scenes/dialog closeups and new cut-scenes/character portraits) can be a little jarring. As can be the difference in sound quality (Nico's sections have much higher quality sound samples than the original game and it's noticeable - especially when you compare Nico's voice in those new sections of the game and her in the original game).

However, I can still recommend playing it. After all, it's still the original BS1 with fixed bugs and additional puzzles. And if you already played the original one, those differences in storytelling won't affect you.

And if you're planning on playing them on smartphone or tablet, the interface is fantastic. Seriously, after playing Broken Sword 1 on my phone I'm amazed that there are so few adventure games on touch devices.

I prefer the originals (which can be found on GOG) but they're not bad or anything.

Both are very solid new implementations. I enjoyed playing through them both alot as it had been quite a while back for me aswell.
Thanks guys. Know what I'm playing tomorrow.

Pacing issues aside, definitely looks worth it.

inm8num2

I looked at his Twitter feed and it's not pretty. You're right, no need to harp on the guy at this point. He probably needs mental help more than anything else. I removed the link from my post.
Sorry, didn't mean to suggest you should remove the link.
Rock Paper Shotgun also has a write-up on the whole Replay Games saga.

edit: Oh, I guess we're not linking to these things. But, it's on RPS if anyone wants to see it. I feel bad for Al.

Did a mod or someone say not to link the RPS article?

It's necessary reading for anyone who's remotely followed any of this stuff. It makes me grateful I sniffed out Paul Trowe for being suspect during Al's kickstarter campaign (wouldn't have pledged anyway - LSL was fun but I wasn't interested in yet another remake of LSL1). Trowe had delusions of making Replay into "Sierra 2.0", and I'm also grateful that was never more than a pipe dream. Of course I doubt anybody else would work with him (Two Guys were smart not to), and the only reason Al did is because for some reason Trowe secured the LSL license from Codemasters (not sure about details/logistics there).

Trowe has brought everything upon himself, and while I don't necessarily celebrate someone being humiliated in the way he is deservedly being now, I do feel bad for the guy in the sense that he probably needs professional help.

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest you should remove the link.

No worries. It's more Cecil's post that triggered my realization that not only is there little in the way of hard facts in that article, but Kotaku has such poor credibility to begin with... and besides Trowe doesn't anyone's need help to destroy his own reputation.

All I know is that Tiny Thief was a very highly rated iPhone game.
Looking on iTunes and seeing it at £1.99 and having it priced at £11.99 on steam isn't convincing me to pick up a PC version.

Tizoc

All I know is that Tiny Thief was a very highly rated iPhone game.
Looking on iTunes and seeing it at £1.99 and having it priced at £11.99 on steam isn't convincing me to pick up a PC version.

Eh iOS is always gonna be cheap, With Steam there's the cut that Steam gets isn't there?

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah I thought I'd dislike Gemini Rue because I find most Wadjet Eye published games to be incredibly held back by their low budget approach (barely any rooms, lots of ridiculous puzzles to expand gametime from ony a dozen screens, plots are iffy), but I thought the story was actually really good. Only real complaint is that it's pretty slow starting off.

Top Bottom