• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2013 The pixel hunt continues.

RAIDEN1

This week probably signifies the biggest week in the genre what with the release of Broken Sword 5...

Now all we need is Day of the Tentacle in HD! (Never gonna happen though..)

eshwaaz

My wife and 6 year old son are about to finish Machinarium on IPad, and they've absolutely loved it. What other adventure games are available on iOS that are of similar quality, and also child-friendly?

raindoc

I still can't believe Day of The Tenticle HD was 80% complete at LucasArts, damn sad it will never see the light of day.

You just broke my heart. I had no idea...

eMPLjF7.jpg

inm8num2

This week probably signifies the biggest week in the genre what with the release of Broken Sword 5...

Now all we need is Day of the Tentacle in HD! (Never gonna happen though..)

I'll go one step further and say the next 3-4 months are huge. Moebius, Tesla Effect, Asylum, and Broken Age will be coming out as well. I might be forgetting a couple.

epmode

The Stasis alpha demo is incredible work for one guy. Hell, it's impressive compared to adventure games from most developers. I was in from the day it showed up on Kickstarter but I had been following the game from earlier.

RAIDEN1

...Almost yeah, but the fact is there's slim chance of it actually being released.. (about as much chance as a new Indy Jones point and click game happening..) unless some ex-lucasarts employee, or the original team decide to take up the task in bringing it out to say XBox Live Arcade, and PSN....

frankMX

My wife and 6 year old son are about to finish Machinarium on IPad, and they've absolutely loved it. What other adventure games are available on iOS that are of similar quality, and also child-friendly?
Samorost1 and Samorost2
Botanicula
So basically any game from Amanita Design.

Card Boy

Banned

Check out the Telltale games like Sam and Max or Superbrothers.

wouwie

I'm enjoying The Inner World on iPad. I bought it for the ridiculous price of 2.69 euro. It does crash quite often on my iPad 3 which is, i assume, down to lack of memory.

I wasn't enjoying the beginning all that much but it got better. It is modestly funny at times too and it looks great. I'm glad i bought it and i look forward to finishing the game. For what seems like a relatively young development studio, Fizbin did a decent job.

Arthea

Can someone suggest a game (not necessary new, can be old) that is like Sanitarium in atmosphere, plays similarly and has similar macabre humour. Atmosphere is probably most important here.
The game has to be already released, because I need it as a gift.

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
While downloading Broken Sword 5 I noticed there was a new indie adventure released.

"The Cat Lady".

I checked the store page & saw these quotes...

“Amazing story that maturely delves into raw human emotion”
4.5/5 – Adventure Gamers

“The Cat Lady is the finest horror adventure I've ever played. In fact, it's one of the finest adventure games I've ever played, period.”
A+ – Just Adventure

“The Cat Lady is a refreshing, intelligent and intriguing game and one of the best I have played this year”
9/10 – Bloody Disgusting

Does anyone here recommend this game?

Edit:
Can someone suggest a game (not necessary new, can be old) that is like Sanitarium in atmosphere, plays similarly and has similar macabre humour. Atmosphere is probably most important here.

This game looks dark, although I can't speak for how it compares to Sanitarium.

frankMX

I always think Planescape Torment and Sanitarium have many many similarities:Both are story-driven, have lots of dialogue,and top-down isometric perspective.Though PT is a RPG game(some would argue its the best RPG ever),Its more like an adventure game.I heard that you don't have to fight to beat the game.

I was going to say The Cat Lady, I saw Darth Sonik has mentioned it. It's just launched on steam today.
Tis quite a dark and depressing style for a game, does have a couple of jump scares which is always fun in a point n click adventure game.

There is a demo on the site, worth looking at if you want to check the vibe.

http://www.thecatlady.co.uk/

Also if anyone bought The Cat Lady as part of the Groupees Be Mine Anniversary Bundle, check it out as there should be a steam key attached.

Gorger

I always think Planescape Torment and Sanitarium have many many similarities:Both are story-driven, have lots of dialogue,and top-down isometric perspective.Though PT is a RPG game(some would argue its the best RPG ever),Its more like an adventure game.I heard that you don't have to fight to beat the game.

There is combat in Planescape which is rather similar to Baldur's gate, but it's a minor part of the game and most of it can be talked your way out of or you'll get the option to flee. While combat is never the top priority of the game I don't think you can complete the game without ever going into combat; at least then you have to play a very specific way which I have never heard of.

But hey even Sanitarium have a couple of fighting sequences you have to do now and then as well :)

frankMX

There is combat in Planescape which is rather similar to Baldur's gate, but it's a minor part of the game and most of it can be talked your way out of or you'll get the option to flee. While combat is never the top priority of the game I don't think you can complete the game without ever going into combat; at least then you have to play a very specific way which I have never heard of.

But hey even Sanitarium have a couple of fighting sequences you have to do now and then as well :)

That's a good point :p .I think It depends on what you want to experience from a game.Dreamfall have some annoying combat scenes but I love the story so I can bear with it.If one likes story in Sanitarium,I think Planescape Torment is worth checking out. Plan ahead with some strategy and minimize the combat to just enjoy the story.

Card Boy

Banned
I keep getting killed my Russians in Last Express before I reach Vienna. I got the Golden Egg and got the suitcase of gold, what else am I meant to do?

Broken Sword 5 initial mpressions:

+ Puzzle design
+ Story
+ Character models

- Animation
- Cinematics
- Poorly implemented combination of 2D and 3D

+ Puzzle design
+ Story
+ Character models

- Animation
- Cinematics

I have to say, I was pretty miffed at things like doors opening / closing by themselves. And George reaching into his jacket and doing a generic animation to show people items with nothing in his hands. Looked a little cheap.

Zaph

+ Puzzle design
+ Story
+ Character models

- Animation
- Cinematics
That's a shame.

How well is the episodic structure implemented? Does it feel like an episode? Or just the first part of a game that should be played as a whole?

Tizoc

A question about Broken Sword 2.5.
I am downloading the patch from the main website atm and am gonna download the 600 MB install file.
Do I need anything else to download for it?

TripleSun

Thanks, might be the time to pick up Sam Peters as that's the lowest I've seen it go up to now.

Looks like it will install on Steam as it says "Steam account required for game activation and installation."

[edit] I bought Sam Peters off GameFly and it activates on Steam.

epmode

That's a shame.

How well is the episodic structure implemented? Does it feel like an episode? Or just the first part of a game that should be played as a whole?

It feels chopped in half. You might want to wait.

I enjoyed myself a lot even though I agree with the complaint that the plot meanders for too long before getting to the good Broken Sword-style stuff.

Card Boy

Banned
Well i clocked Last Express Gold Edition now, Robert Cath IS James Bond (Sean Connery version).

Kronos's concert ruined the pacing of the game.

Gamefly has a bunch of horror/adventure PnCs for cheap right now. Use code GFDDEC20 / GFDDEC20UK for another 20% off: (prices before discount). I think these use the Gamefly client, not Steam.

Secret Files: Sam Peters $2.49
Secret Files 3 $4.99
Baron Wittard: Nemesis of Ragnarok $2.49
Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder $2.49
Darkness Within 2 $2.49
Dark Fall 2: Lights Out $2.49
Dark Fall: Lost Souls $2.49

Also bought Sam Peters. Can't so no at $2 for it.

I'm trying to buy Sam Peter from Gamefly but I can't understand where to enter the code. It says on the site that I'll be able to enter it on the 'Review and submit order' page but I have to go through Paypal authorization before that step? That doesn't make sense.

edit - never mind. They ask for blanket authorization to use your Paypal account in the future. Bought this game and now deauthorizing them.

Bebpo

Banned
Started playing Broken Sword 5 and visually I'm pretty darn impressed. The cell-shading on the characters is awesome! Nice backgrounds too. Otoh, the gameplay seems very pixel hunting-ish and illogical puzzles right from the start so dunno. I've only played BS1 and it was one of my favorite adventures back in the day (oh and I played the fanmade BS2.5 but it was kind of bad). Nice so far. Will probably finally play BS2 after this and skip 3/4 entirely.

Top Bottom