• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2 |OT| Zero Shades of Grey

Title(s) - Pokémon Black Version 2/Pokémon White Version 2
Platform - DS (also works with 3DS)
Genre - RPG
Publisher - Nintendo
Developer - Game Freak
Release Date(s)
jpfefab.png
JP: 2012/6/23 Now Available
us5ec4z.png
US: 2012/10/07 Now Available
euadiub.png
EU: 2012/10/10 Now Available
aumjrvr.png
AU: 2012/10/12 Now Available
Official Site - Here

sTrEM.png

Description

6j4B0.jpg

Taking place 2 years after the original Pokémon Black/White, this sequel pair stars you as one of the trainers Rosa and Nate, new adventurers starting across the map in Aspertia City, in the new southwestern portion of the mysteriously frozen Unova. For the journey ahead, your counterpart is the hot-headed Hugh, your friend and rival. On your journey, you’ll meet new friends, and encounter old ones, as you make your way to the Pokémon League, and beyond.

cdTrH.jpg
cP0D2.jpg
BzLrb.jpg

Previously, on Black/White...
In your prior adventures, you encountered the mysterious N, a youth who had a close connection with Pokémon, and wished to see the separation/liberation of them from humans.

His goals aligned with the extremist organization known as Team Plasma, who sought to liberate Pokémon from their trainers. At least, that was their plan...

It has been two years. N has disappeared after the events of Black/White. Team Plasma had broken up as well, and (almost) all of their top leaders had vanished. Now a new group claiming their mantle, Neo Team Plasma, has risen, What is the goal of this fashionable new opposition? And what is the goal of the mysterious new scientist Colress, who opposes the pure ideals of the old Team Plasma?

SSt8H.jpg
wwZrW.jpg
i2TqR.jpg

Wddho.png

Features
  • Unlike the usual third game, this game is a continuation of the original story. There are new towns, new characters, redesigned older characters, and a new path through the altered Unova region. Playing Black/White is not a prerequisite for enjoying this game.
  • Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2 features an expanded Regional Pokédex compared to its predecessor, boasting more than 300 Pokémon, the largest ‘Dex yet. A mixture of old and new Pokémon await you in the main story, so get to catching.
  • The new Medals feature tracks your progress in various areas throughout the game. Gain recognition for your accomplishments, and try to achieve ‘em all!
  • Join Avenue is a new area in Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2 where you can accrue fans and players that sell items and various services. Through interactions with people through C-Gear interactions on your daily commute, or online through Nintendo Wi-Fi Collection, you can gather more vendors who will sell you the very best essential items for your journey.
  • The new Unova Link feature lets you enhance your game, and your friend’s games, with various extra features, including unlockable Challenge (hard) and Assist (easy) difficulty modes, depending on your game. The “keys” you receive for this feature unlock through completion of various in-game tasks. Unlocked Keys can be transferred over Infrared Communications to a new cart from a game that has unlocked them already, so that their effects can take place immediately. Note: the Challenge Key is unlocked in Pokémon Black Version 2, and the Assist Key in Pokémon White Version 2. They can be transferred to the opposite version after unlocking, however.
  • Part of the Unova Link feature, Memory Link allows you to integrate your experiences from Black/White into your new game. Unlock new plot details, extra battles, extra Pokémon, and other features as you venture through the Unova you once knew. This feature requires Pokémon Black Version/White Version, and can be done with either a second DS/3DS through DS Download Play, or over Wi-Fi through your existing Pokémon Global Link account via Game Sync.
  • Every single trainer in the game now has a fully animated sprite, and most Pokémon’s existing animations have been modified. Enjoy the wonderful spritework of the last and greatest Nintendo DS release.
MkDuS.png
ArVkx.png
C6lMI.jpg

WQeOU.png

Pokéstar Studios

1fa37.jpg

Supplementing the Musicals from Black/White, the Pokéstar Studios lets you and your Pokémon act out various movies of your own choosing, across a variety of genres. Choose a script, and battle out your chosen scenario using special *Green Screen Technology* to make your big screen debut!

kaCi6.jpg
rrItG.jpg
Hz4v4.jpg

bHAZ3.png

Pokémon World Tournament

SBgOI.png

The Pokémon World Tournament serves as this game's Battle Frontier. With a variety of modes, including the ever popular Rental Battle, this is Game Freak's love letter to nostalgic and competitive players. It features popular characters from all five generations and even adds downloadable battle events with unique teams and special Pokémon. The first downloadable event for North America and Europe will be on October 22nd featuring the teams of the confusingly similarly named 2012 Pokémon World Championships, including three time World Champion, Ray Rizzo. You can access the Pokémon World Tournament after reaching Driftveil City.

hxZh1.jpg
pxozk.jpg
Fb2x9.jpg

p9Adt.png

3DS Apps
Releasing along with Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2, Pokémon Dream Radar and Pokédex 3D Pro are 3DS applications that supplement the main game.

uaUpw.png

Pokémon Dream Radar

Price: $2.99 (US)
Release Date(s)
jpfefab.png
JP: 2012/6/23 Now Available
us5ec4z.png
US: 2012/10/07 Now Available
euadiub.png
EU: 2012/10/10 Now Available
aumjrvr.png
AU: 2012/10/12 Now Available

Professor Burnet is a researcher whose main field of study is dreams. One day, she spotted something intriguing in the area between dreams and reality - three mysterious Pokémon. As a new researcher working with Burnet, your task is to help her research the Interdream Zone more closely, and discover the secrets that lie within.

In the game, you can “catch” Pokémon and collect Items in the Interdream Zone (read: the real world) using the 3DS Camera. Pokémon caught and items collected in this app are transferable to Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2, with the Pokémon possessing their Hidden Abilities. This game is also the only place to catch the exclusive new Therian Formes of the Kami Trio: Thundurus, Tornadus, and Landorus.

XSgB9.png
C2S2y.jpg

48151.png

Pokédex 3D Pro

Price: $15 (US)
Release Date(s)
jpfefab.png
JP: 2012/7/14 Now Available
us5ec4z.png
US: 2012/11/08
euadiub.png
EU: 2012/11/08
aumjrvr.png
AU: --

This app is a paid, expansion version of the original Pokédex 3D, an app that allowed you to view the Pokémon of the Unova Regional Dex in full 3D, along with information about stats, movepools, moves, egg groups, and other useful information for the advanced trainer. AR functionality is also present, letting you take pictures of Pokémon in the real world (up to 6 at a time). This app replaces the older one in the eShop, and includes all these features, as well as:
  • The full National Dex of 649 Pokémon, and all of the alternate Formes, including the new Therian Formes and Black Kyurem and White Kyurem.
  • Quiz functionality, which tests you on your knowledge of various bits of Pokéknowledge. Also includes Who’s That Pokémon.
  • The Pokédex voice actors from the show, reading the names of every entry.
  • Mood music ;)

T5K4y.jpg
vbjij.jpg

qz2gI.png

UDGxo.png

4PQgY.png

Competitive Play & Tournaments
Much like Starcraft II or League of Legends, Pokémon has an active competitive community with official tournaments sponsored by Nintendo and The Pokémon Company International. And like any other game with both single player and multiplayer components, the multiplayer can be quite a shock if you've just been playing single player.

Although not apparent throughout the single player adventure, Pokémon has a very deep stat customization system that can make for a host of strategies in competitive play. Additionally, tournaments are run in the doubles format opening up a variety of options that aren't available in the simplified, 1v1-focused campaign. You aren't allowed to use that super-power Zekrom or Reshiram you picked up along the way either ;)

But never fear! Pokémon isn't incredibly hard to pick up and there are plenty of resources on the internet to help you. If you've never been to a Pokémon event before and are a fan of the series, it's highly recommended! The World Championships, US Nationals, and European Worlds Qualifier in particular are not to be missed if you're in the area! There are events across the United States, Canada, South Korea, Japan, and Europe.

Ruleset
  • All matches are played in Doubles format
  • Pokémon above Level 50 will be brought down to 50 for the match while those below 50 will stay as-is
  • Players choose 4 of their 6 registered Pokémon after team preview
  • You may not have two Pokémon with the same Pokédex number on your team
  • You may not have two of the same item on your team
  • Pokémon ineligible for the Pokémon World Tournament are banned
  • Dark Void and Sky Drop are banned

Schedule
NA Fall Regionals (October 14th, 2012)
Note: Only Pokémon Black & White may be used for this event due to how close it is to Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2's release. Nothing traded back from Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2 is allowed.
NA Winter Regionals (January 20th, 2013)
Note: Starting with this regional, only Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2 may be used.
NA Spring Regionals (April 14th, 2013)
EU Regionals (Spring, Dates TBA)
Unfortunately the EU Regional and Worlds Qualifier dates have not been announced. This is the first time they are using this format for Europe. In the past, they held National competitions in the UK, France, Germany, Spain, and Italy. It is very likely that the regionals and qualifier will be held in 2 or 3 of these countries.
  • Location, TBA
  • Location, TBA
EU Worlds Qualifier (Spring, Date TBA)
  • Location, TBA
NA National Championships (Summer, Dates TBA)
  • Indianapolis, IN, USA
  • Toronto, ON, Canada
2013 Pokémon World Championships (August 9th - 11th, 2013)
There's a ton of stuff at the World Championships aside from the tournament like autograph sessions with the creators of the game and exclusive merchandise so if you're near it, definitely check it out.
See a location near you and want to get ready for it? Great! The following resources should help you on your way:
Additionally, there are a number of websites you'll want to bookmark.
  • Pokémon Video Game Championships Page
    • Although often slow to update and lacking information at times, it's the official site and you'd do well to get familiar with it!
  • Nugget Bridge
    • You'll notice a lot of links to this site in this section of the OT. It's the go to website for the Video Game Championships. There is a ton of knowledge there to be gained from reading the articles and tournament reports from the top players in the game - including players who you'll be able to download into the Pokémon World Tournament over the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection to battle in game!
  • Veekun
    • Veekun is hands down the most comprehensive and accurate Pokédex for the video game you can find. You'll find every single thing you'll need as a competitive player on any Pokémon, move, item, or ability in the game.
  • Bulbapedia
    • Ok I lied. There's one thing Veekun lacks and that's in-game locations for items, TMs, etc. you might need. That's where Bulbapedia comes in handy. It's very good at documenting all the in-game stuff you might have to do to prepare your Pokémon for battle.
  • Pokémon Online
    • This is the most advanced battle simulator that supports doubles play. It's a great team testing tool to test your theorymon before making your team in-game. You want to practice on the SkarmBliss VGC server.
Experienced Pokémon players may notice two notable omissions from this list. Accuracy is important when it comes to competitive Pokémon due to so many factors in-game being hidden and the money sometimes involved with tournament travel. Serebii and Smogon have shoddy track records with information and very often don't source their information making them hard to recommend for these purposes. Serebii is still a great anime resource and Smogon is an excellent site for those looking at custom metagame development as is Pokémon Online.

Credits
  • Sweet banner and original OT provided by Chet Rippo.
  • Awesomely informative Competitive and PWT sections by Firestorm.
  • Extra description details and Japanese |OT| from ScraftyDevil.
  • Idea for Google-sourced Friend Code management shamelessly stolen from Andrex.
  • Box templates sourced from Jackster3000 (DA).
  • BW-style font in section headers sourced from SpaceEmotion (DA)
  • Character images, screenshots, and other sprites sourced from the official Pokémon site, Bulbapedia, Siliconera, and other places.
  • General editing and release hype provided by PokéGAF.
  • Whoever I forgot to thank.
  • And you, for actually reading credits. Good job.

Hyyyyyped, Can't wait, been keeping relatively under the rock since march or whenever it was this was announced, can't believe only a week is left now.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'll get it a little later. I just hope they don't do two week events in stores this outing because those are getting pretty annoying.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Getting progressively excited.

Oh man.. Pokedex 3D Pro having full 3D models for the Unova Dex pokemon can only mean good things for the next gen.. right..right?! *hyperventilation*

Can't wait for this! I hope it's as good as I expect it to be.
I've listened to some of the music tracks of this game, and they're pretty good!
October is going to be such a great month; this + Layton...

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Yay, just pre-ordered it today on a whim.
I'm actually surprised how it's coming so soon; maybe I've lost my dependency of the Pokemon drug.

Drago

I have literally 0 hype for this. Really not in a Pokemon mood atm :/

Will probably pick this up around Christmas time I guess.

GimMick

Eeeeeh didn't realise it was coming out in only one week !

Great, great OT. I guess I'll join the fun somewhere in November-December :)

Oh, they're only using B/W 1 for those first series of regionals? Makes sense, I guess but that effectively rules me out. Not like I had the time to truly prep a team before 10/14 though lol.

Haven't played a Pokemon game since Superior Silver so my body is ready. :p

WTF @ the YT link in the OP banner

zroid

Banned
I need to get off my lazy ass and play some post-game for BW before this comes out. After finishing the main story I got swept up in other things and never went back to it. :(

Are there any preorder bonuses?
Not that I'm aware of, but there's a launch-day distribution of Genesect, over Wi-Fi.

649-burno1rjd.gif

Unrelated to that, there's a distribution of Keldeo going on for Black/White that's due to end soon.

647evp60.gif

edit: VVV Ah great, guess there are some :)

Styles

So apparently if you pre-order the game from EBgames you get this little commemorative coin:

156906_detail_v2.jpg

156904_detail_v2.jpg

Pretty neat! Do other retailers have any pre-order bonuses?

Teknoman

Achivements in Pokemon? What have they done?!

My 3DS is never going to see another game.

I need to get off my lazy ass and play some post-game for BW before this comes out. After finishing the main story I got swept up in other things and never went back to it. :(

You and me both. AR Pokemon catching will be fun, and hopefully the Pokedex 3D pro AR function works much better.

Soma

Man I'm still plugging away through White version.

I still want to get this at some point though. All the little additions sound great.

TheOGB

Banned
Me and my buddy gonna waltz into Target and get this shit next sunday, just like we did with Black and White.

Let.the hype commence!

Top Bottom