• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2 |OT| Zero Shades of Grey

upandaway

No attacking one of the versions at the OP/title? How are we gonna educate people to get Black 2, man.

Anyway, question (if this is in the OP, sorry, I can't find it):

Region lock. If I get the US version, how will this work with DSi and 3DS systems from other regions? Do we know yet?
How did BW work in that area..? It's a bit confusing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
No attacking one of the versions at the OP/title? How are we gonna educate people to get Black 2, man.

Anyway, question (if this is in the OP, sorry, I can't find it):

Region lock. If I get the US version, how will this work with DSi and 3DS systems from other regions? Do we know yet?
How did BW work in that area..? It's a bit confusing.

Will not work with out of region on DSi or 3DS.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It'll work on DS Lite or DS Phat, just not the two newer ones.

It does actually have a DSi extra feature though.

id also have to decide which version to go with...how do the rest of you guys do this?

Usually just whichever version has more exclusive Pokemon I like. Online trading has kinda made that a moot point though, and given your inexperience with the series it wouldn't make much difference anyway.

Basically go for whichever one on the cover looks better/cooler to you.

good answers, thanks guys. again i literally just played a bit of red, so that's all i got here.
OP says playing 1 isn't a perquisite, will i miss out on plot stuff? sounds like a few bits are unlocked from a save file, and it says the game's largely stand-alone, just wondering if there's gonna be a catch-up or something.

id also have to decide which version to go with...how do the rest of you guys do this?
There are bits that you'll miss because these returning characters have their own story and all, but this game is fairly standalone - this game is to Black/White as Gold/Silver are to RBY.

As for versions... pick whichever has the coolest legendary on the box.

A.E Suggs

This is not Pokemon. Got bored halfway through White.

This is Pokemon:

Pokemon_Blue_Version_GBC_ScreenShot4.gif

Oh well.

You could have at least posted a game with more than one color or a game in color like gold/silver. Nope you go with the blue version of pokemon not even yellow.

This is not Pokemon. Got bored halfway through White.

This is Pokemon:

Pokemon_Blue_Version_GBC_ScreenShot4.gif

Oh well.

You know it's rather weird about Pokemon Nostalgics, in that they stick out the most out of everyone since everything after Gen 1 gets shoved into the bin be it in forums, Youtube videos, you name it.

I usually buy both versions, but in choosing which one i'm gonna play first usually just goes back to what cover pokemon I like better. Though in this case the challenge mode stuff kinda decided for me...

yesyesyes

Reading this has made me realise how shitty the gap between NA launch and Europe launch is going to be. :/

Doesn't matter, though. Need my Pokémon fix.

FSLink

Banned
It should probably be noted in the OP that Challenge Mode and Assist Mode are version exclusive (but you can send keys from games which already have it). Not in spoiler tags since it's a gameplay thing that people who are contemplating which version to pick may want to consider.

You could have at least posted a game with more than one color or a game in color like gold/silver. Nope you go with the blue version of pokemon not even yellow.

Joke post? Color is what matters to you in a game? Yellow was a TV show tie in, which was fun but unnecessary. Ruby/Saphire and on has been awful. Focused way more on side quests and dumb mini games like "making a green screen movie." I can't believe that anyone over the age of 10 has time for this dumb shit. Even as a 14 year old when Gold/Silver released, I thought the constant cell phone was pushing it. Where was the skateboard we were promised?

Moral: These games should keep it simple. It's what worked (for the most part) in the first two.

And sorry, new creature and character design in the past many games are overall lazy. Too many examples to point out.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Joke post? Color is what matters to you in a game? Yellow was a TV show tie in, which was fun but unnecessary. Ruby/Saphire and on has been awful. Focused way more on side quests and dumb mini games like "making a green screen movie." I can't believe that anyone over the age of 10 has time for this dumb shit. Even as a 14 year old when Gold/Silver released, I thought the constant cell phone was pushing it. Where was the skateboard we were promised?

Moral: These games should keep it simple. It's what worked (for the most part) in the first two.

And sorry, new creature and character design in the past many games are overall lazy. Too many examples to point out.
The games still are simple, although I would not disagree that bloat has been setting in with the series after B/W. RSE and such are fine though, dunno what you're talking about. And besides, you complain about unnecessary things and ask for a skateboard? There's running shoes and bikes. Why?

As for the last part, you'll have to point them out, I'm afraid. You can't just say "well lots of things were bad but im not gonna tell you which lol cya" and expect people to accept it. That's lazy non-discussion.

Velcro Fly

So I can send keys without getting online right? I have a 3DS and a DS phat that I can't go online with. I was thinking about getting both versions but I won't if I can't transfer keys across versions without being online.

Wait there are shit if you tie b/w1 to it?

Maybe i should pick the first game up :X

Speaking of which, how the fuck does one balance a pokemon game? You either steamroll every trainer, or have to grind like a motherfucker (or catch a weakness type then grind it like a motherfucker).

Like what if you release your starter and only had a pidgey or something.

hmmm...

It should probably be noted in the OP that Challenge Mode and Assist Mode are version exclusive (but you can send keys from games which already have it). Not in spoiler tags since it's a gameplay thing that people who are contemplating which version to pick may want to consider.
Done and done, thanks.

In the meantime, I'll be sleeping since it's so late. But keep up the OP suggestions though, I'll get to them later, heh.
So I can send keys without getting online right? I have a 3DS and a DS phat that I can't go online with. I was thinking about getting both versions but I won't if I can't transfer keys across versions without being online.
Keys can be transferred locally to a new cart from a game that has unlocked them already, so yeah.

This thread is turning out so great already for pokemon thread bingo. Now we've got "Anyone who's not a kid is a loser for playing Pokemon".

Frost_Ace

You can only trade them with local wireless IIRC.

As for the last part, you'll have to point them out, I'm afraid. You can't just say "well lots of things were bad but im not gonna tell you which lol cya" and expect people to accept it. That's lazy non-discussion.

Honestly, I shouldn't have to. I just looked through pictures of the last three generations, and so many creatures are extremely lazy and unmemorable to me. Perhaps I'm showing signs of growing up, but I'd like to think there was something special in the simplicity of the first generation's designs. The second holds a few close to my heart, like Pikablu hype before the second generation was released.

I'm not trying to derail the thread. But I'd love a back to the basics Pokemon game again one day. I can't believe I'm the only one. Someone had to speak up in this thread, because there's way too much love which seems crazy after my own experience with White.
I was so bored.

Velcro Fly

I have a friend who has a 3DS so it won't be the end of the world if I need them to be online.

Totally going to get a challenge mode team ready on my Black cart and use my friends 3DS to get them onto White 2.

Starting with Excadrill! Favorite Gen V pokemon by far!

Totally need to come up with more for my team and get movesets for them!

The games still are simple, although I would not disagree that bloat has been setting in with the series after B/W. RSE and such are fine though, dunno what you're talking about. And besides, you complain about unnecessary things and ask for a skateboard? There's running shoes and bikes. Why?

Look at all these lazy Pokemon designs!

130px-100Voltorb.png

That's just a poke ball with a face!

160px-101Electrode.png

That's just an upside down poke ball with a face!

200px-132Ditto.png

That's just a purple blob!

200px-088Grimer.png
180px-089Muk.png

Also purple blobs.

110px-050Diglett.png
170px-051Dugtrio.png

180px-081Magnemite.png
180px-082Magneton.png

All they did was put three of them together!

200px-039Jigglypuff.png

A pink puff ball? Now they're just stealing from other nintendo games

Kirby_Wii.png

It always amuses me when people act like Gen I was some pinnacle of variety and creativity. I'll give that certain Gen I Pokemon are much more iconic (Bulbasaur/Charmander/Squirtle/Pikachu have never been topped) but there were some really uninteresting characters.

Honestly, I shouldn't have to. I just looked through pictures of the last three generations, and so many creatures are extremely lazy and unmemorable to me. Perhaps I'm showing signs of growing up, but I'd like to think there was something special in the simplicity of the first generation's designs. The second holds a few close to my heart, like Pikablu hype before the second generation was released.

I'm not trying to derail the thread. But I'd love a back to the basics Pokemon game again one day. I can't believe I'm the only one. Someone had to speak up in this thread, because there's way too much love which seems crazy after my own experience with White.
I was so bored.

Well, maybe just maybe, your experience isn't indicative at all of most other peoples own, I guess that's what youre finding crazy huh? And maybe people are having trouble even understanding what the heck you even mean by "back to the basics pokemon game", since I dont recall ever having to do these side quests or it getting in the way of simply battling and collecting badges or any of the things you seem to be having a problem with and the main quest is still there. Maybe if you elaborated more people could actually discern what you are even getting at beyond the typical nostalgia complaints that happen in every pokemon thread.

IrishNinja

This thread is turning out so great already for pokemon thread bingo. Now we've got "Anyone who's not a kid is a loser for playing Pokemon".

why aren't there more of them from the cartooooooooooooon

i really hope they have someone as charming as jigglypuff here

Acrylic7

Look at all these lazy Pokemon designs!

130px-100Voltorb.png

That's just a poke ball with a face!

160px-101Electrode.png

That's just an upside down poke ball with a face!

200px-132Ditto.png

That's just a purple blob!

200px-088Grimer.png
180px-089Muk.png

Also purple blobs.

110px-050Diglett.png
170px-051Dugtrio.png

180px-081Magnemite.png
180px-082Magneton.png

All they did was put three of them together!

200px-039Jigglypuff.png

A pink puff ball? Now they're just stealing from other nintendo games

Kirby_Wii.png

It always amuses me when people act like Gen I was some pinnacle of variety and creativity. I'll give that certain Gen I Pokemon are much more iconic (Bulbasaur/Charmander/Squirtle/Pikachu have never been topped) but there were some really uninteresting characters.

Those designs aren't lazy. They are well though out designs that I think help stylize the Pokemon and their characters.

Voltorb is fine

Electrode is fine

Ditto is like that for a reason. Why would a Pokemon that can turn into anything be over designed. Im fine with a simple Purple blob.

Grimmer and Muk are literally their names. What else would they look like?

I might be able to understand Diglit and Dugtrio, but Magnetmite and Magnetron? well they are magnets...

nothing wrong with Jigglypuff.

ffdgh

Those designs aren't lazy. They are well though out designs that I think help stylize the Pokemon and their characters.

Voltorb is fine

Electrode is fine

Ditto is like that for a reason. Why would a Pokemon that can turn into anything be over designed. Im fine with a simple Purple blob.

Grimmer and Muk are literally their names. What else would they look like?

I might be able to understand Diglit and Dugtrio, but Magnetmite and Magnetron? well they are magnets...

nothing wrong with Jigglypuff.

That was sarcasm.

A.E Suggs

Somehow I'm just gonna bet your playing games that have been the same for years that just have a new coat of paint like its new but like them.

Of course it was a joke but even then man you sound like one of those guys who just hates new things just because its new. Your judging a book by its cover first off all and these games do keep it simple. The designs are also subjective and you can call anything lazy, I can call dragonite lazy because after all he just looks like a friendly dragon.

I hate the Gen V designs, i'm playing pokemon black though and I really like the game, just not the pokemon in them.

I might buy this, but we need a best of pokemon game soon. With only the best 156 from Gen I - V all in one game.

Suairyu

Banned
read the OP but couldn't see...

... are there any event-exclusive Pokémon close to release? I don't think I particularly have a Pokémon itch at the moment, so if I can delay getting the game I will.

read the OP but couldn't see...

... are there any event-exclusive Pokémon close to release? I don't think I particularly have a Pokémon itch at the moment, so if I can delay getting the game I will.

Yep. There's a WiFi Genesect distribution for BW2, much like the Victini distribution that came with Black and White.

Man I want a true 3D pokemon game, maybe next time eh.

I hope they at least make a battle mode in 3d for the next pokemon game on 3ds. But I don't think pokemon on consoles would be great, it's such a grindful game that I doubt it would really be as enjoyable on a home console.

But the wii-u pad changes things.

I want a charizard damn it. If black and white 2 lets me have that i'm buying it today.

Kiryu

Online (Never traded in Global because people are greedy) and battling (Perfect IV...) will still have hacked Pokemon and that's only few negative about Pokemon. Now I know when Pokemon 3DS game comes... I am sure it's hard to hack.

Suairyu

Banned
Yep. There's a WiFi Genesect distribution for BW2, much like the Victini distribution that came with Black and White.
Wi-Fi only or in-store trade as well? If the latter, the rom for the event cart will get dumped at some point.

What level is the Genesect that you get? Is it low enough to use in game from the start?
Don't do this to your playthrough. Using Victini removed the challenge from the game.

Catch wild Pokémon instead.

Top Bottom