• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2 |OT| Zero Shades of Grey

IHaveIce

Banned
Are older Pokémon now catchable before the Elite 4 ?

really disliked Black& White, maybe I will look into this.

Last Games that were enjoyable for me were Ruby and Sapphire.

Except the remakes of course

Demoli

And sorry, new creature and character design in the past many games are overall lazy. Too many examples to point out.

Yeah man, we need more designs like Jynx, Muk, Mr. Mime and evolution progresses like Dugtrio, Magneton and Dodrio.

Pokemon is better in every aspect now than it was before. You might have lot interest, but that's the absolute truth.

Jinko

I hope they at least make a battle mode in 3d for the next pokemon game on 3ds. But I don't think pokemon on consoles would be great, it's such a grindful game that I doubt it would really be as enjoyable on a home console.

True, its entirely possible to have a 3D game on the 3DS though, they could have a Wii-U version which could sync saves with the 3DS version via cloud saves so you could still play it on the go.

There is quite a bit that could be done on both systems.

Pre-ordered, so hyped to play it, even if I'll play it just like a RPG and not the collect-a-thon I used to do when I was younger...it's been a while since I abandonned my dream of catching them all :(

Oh and I really hope it'll be less annoying to transfer your Pokémon from BW to BW2...

Velcro Fly

Going to plow through Black 2 as fast as possible so I can unlock challenge mode for White 2. If (ab)using Genesect is the way to get that done the quickest I may try it out.

Mr. Sam

Beat the Elite Four good and proper in Pokemon Black a week ago. Was planning on skipping the sequels but my enthusiasm has gone from 0-100 upon reading up on them.

Great thread title.

I'm down like 4 flat tires. Pokemon Black 2 get!

Is there no way to play in challenge mode from the beginning? I skimmed the OP (I'm at work) but didn't see.

I haven't cared this much about a Pokemon game since Crystal. B/W showed a lot of promise with all the refinements they made but ultimately lacked content or challenge, with B2/W2 correcting those problems I can't wait to see how much it improves the Unova region.

Hopefully we get sent copies at work a few days early so I can download Keldeo to White 2 before the event finishes.

Qurupeke

I can't wait! :D But it's coming in Europe about 5 days after the American release. :( Oh well...

I will buy Pokemon Dream Radar too. I'm not sure for Pokedex 3D Pro yet... If it's more than 10 euros, probably not...

Also, Genesect+Keldeo! Yay!

gerudoman

With a variety of modes, including the ever popular Rental Battle

YES! It may seem a tiny detail, but you couldn't believe how much time I've spent in previous Pokémon games making different teams and trying to win with the worst ones. Does somebody know if it can be played with a friend via WiFi?

It's a combination of several things:

- No compatibility between GSC and Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, for technical reasons (no GBC/GBA link capability, and the data format for Pokemon was completely changed, making forward trading impossible)

- Because of the aforementioned change, there was no way to get a majority of Kanto/Johto Pokémon until FireRed/LeafGreen were released, quite a while after RS.

- New system blues and nostalgia, probably.

- Something about lots of water and trumpets, I hear.

- edit: VV Ah right, this was also riding off the extreme Pokémon hype wave, so there was bound to be fallout.

I also think after the glorious G/S/C versions most of us expected a similar leap in R/S considering they were being released in a superior system, but surprisingly they got rid of some of the most important features of the second generation: PokéGear, day/night cycle and two huge regions to explore. IMO it also had the worst region and the less charismatic characters on the series, but that's something subjective.

Alright guys, heres the deal. I really liked all of the Pokemon games up until Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. I got SoulSilver and Loved that one as well, Silver/Gold being my favorite generation.

I didn't like Pearl/Platinum(Had both of these) because they got a little grindy in spots and I just didn't care for the world/characters/Pokemon and kinda shitty bottom screen implementation.

My question to you guys is:

Should I get Black/White if I didn't like Diamond/Pearl/Platinum?
What is different about them?
Do you feel the Pokemon are more appealing?
Which version should I get?

Thank you all.

I should get White 2 since I got White originally (for Zekrom and Braviary mostly), but I want Black 2 for Black Kyurem...

It's tough being a Pokémon Trainer. Lots of tough choices to make.

Madao

i've got both games reserved already (gotta get the biggest bang out of my buck)

i went and got the event Keldeo today but haven't picked him up from the deliveryman because i want a good one and that takes dozens of resets in front of the guy. good thing this event reached my country (according to the guy in charge of the distribution, there were like only 10 people who had got it in addition to me. these events have such nonexistant publicity outside the internet)

i'm thinking going B2 first this time since i did W1 first when i got BW.

Madao

Alright guys, heres the deal. I really liked all of the Pokemon games up until Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. I got SoulSilver and Loved that one as well, Silver/Gold being my favorite generation.

I didn't like Pearl/Platinum(Had both of these) because they got a little grindy in spots and I just didn't care for the world/characters/Pokemon and kinda shitty bottom screen implementation.

My question to you guys is:

Thank you all.

give BW a chance. the game speed is way faster for starters. mashing that A button does something this time.
this gen has lots of appealing pokes. the Gen 5 set feels complete, unlike Gen 4 which was lacking.
version: a toss up. pick the one which has the poke that you like more.

Damn, I completely forgot about this. It's pretty much a completely new Pokemon game right? It was weird, the only thing I thought that was lacking in Black/White was the range of things to do post-game.

I didn't like D/P either, but liked B/W. You might as well give them a try if you're interested, you know what you're getting when you buy a Pokemon game.

I thought the Pokemon were way cooler looking in B/W compared to D/P. And if you don't think so, at least these new games have all of the older ones in them.
637.gif

Damn, I completely forgot about this. It's pretty much a completely new Pokemon game right? It was weird, the only thing I thought that was lacking in Black/White was the range of things to do post-game.

I wouldn't call it completely new, but it looks like there's more stuff than the usual 'third game'.

At this moment in time you should probably skip B/W and just go straight to B2/W2. That isn't to say that B/W are bad games however, it's just that B2/W2 fix the problems they had and add a lot more content for people who loved the older Pokemon games.

Black and White were basically a reboot for the series, fixing many of the long standing problems Pokemon has had over the years - single use TMs, having to keep a couple of HM slaves in your team, increasingly sluggish battles, grinding, bad wild Pokemon placement and many other problems. B2/W2 fix the lack of content and low difficulty level of B/W, let you access a lot of older Pokemon and have the World Tournament, where you can battle every gym leader and champion from every prior Pokemon game.

Subjective question, but I'll answer with no. However I'm one of those people that feels Gen 1 and 2 had the best designs because they were simple and you could easily tell what animal the Pokemon is based on and what type it is just from the design and name. To be fair to B/W the Gen 5 designs are generally a fair bit better than Gen 3/4 and there are some real gems, but B/W don't let you encounter any old Pokemon until you finish the game (something B2/W2 corrects) which leads to a bunch of useless clones to cover for the absence of series staples (eg. Pidgey, Geodude).

Out of B/W you should probably go for White as that gives you access to a bunch of older uncommon Pokemon, out of B2/W2 the better option would be Black 2 so you have access to challenge mode after the Elite Four.

At this moment in time you should probably skip B/W and just go straight to B2/W2. That isn't to say that B/W are bad games however, it's just that B2/W2 fix the problems they had and add a lot more content for people who loved the older Pokemon games.

Black and White were basically a reboot for the series, fixing many of the long standing problems Pokemon has had over the years - single use TMs, having to keep a couple of HM slaves in your team, increasingly sluggish battles, grinding, bad wild Pokemon placement and many other problems. B2/W2 fix the lack of content and low difficulty level of B/W, let you access a lot of older Pokemon and have the World Tournament, where you can battle every gym leader and champion from every prior Pokemon game.

Subjective question, but I'll answer with no. However I'm one of those people that feels Gen 1 and 2 had the best designs because they were simple and you could easily tell what animal the Pokemon is based on and what type it is just from the design and name. To be fair to B/W the Gen 5 designs are generally a fair bit better than Gen 3/4 and there are some real gems, but B/W don't let you encounter any old Pokemon until you finish the game (something B2/W2 corrects) which leads to a bunch of useless clones to cover for the absence of series staples (eg. Pidgey, Geodude).

Out of B/W you should probably go for White as that gives you access to a bunch of older uncommon Pokemon, out of B2/W2 the better option would be Black 2 so you have access to challenge mode after the Elite Four.

Thank you everyone who answered my question(s). I will pick up Black 2 later this year, and maybe White/Black down the road if I feel like it. This thread has me itching to go back to SS and finish Kanto now, Haha.

Yeah man, we need more designs like Jynx, Muk, Mr. Mime and evolution progresses like Dugtrio, Magneton and Dodrio.

Pokemon is better in every aspect now than it was before. You might have lot interest, but that's the absolute truth.
I think it's fine that people prefer the older pokemon (I do) but it's when people try to argue the point that the new designs are uninspired or whatever that annoys me. There is nothing lazier than drawing eyes on a poke ball, then turning it upside down and saying you created two new pokemon. It's like "Hey Jim, we gotta ship this game out and we're still two pokemon short!"

Just admit it's nostalgia and stop trying to look cool.

I'll say though this B/W design made me sick upon seeing it:

garbodor.jpg

Ewwwww.

Dereck

I think it's fine that people prefer the older pokemon (I do) but it's when people try to argue the point that the new designs are uninspired or whatever that annoys me. There is nothing lazier than drawing eyes on a poke ball, then turning it upside down and saying you created two new pokemon. It's like "Hey Jim, we gotta ship this game out and we're still two pokemon short!"

Just admit it's nostalgia and stop trying to look cool.

I'll say though this B/W design made me sick upon seeing it:

garbodor.jpg

Ewwwww.
I don't have a problem with design wars, a problem I have is blind belief that the original Red and Blue are better than all of the other Pokemon games.

I don't have a problem with design wars, a problem I have is blind belief that the original Red and Blue are better than all of the other Pokemon games.
If we're talking strictly about the games it's no contest. Boy do I love having to go into the menu to use the bike/fishing rod/HM moves, only being able to carry 20 items, no actual dragon/ghost-type moves (ghost is ineffective against psychic WHAT), etc. etc.

GSC can still hold up because they eliminated a lot of that, going back to RBY now is a chore.

Have we got to the point in the thread yet where someone says they've seen better Pokemon designs on DeviantArt yet?

That part is always my favorite.

Loved BW2, still not all the way through yet (Fire Emblem and NSMB2 sucked up all my time).

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
GSC can still hold up because they eliminated a lot of that, going back to RBY now is a chore.

To an extent I agree, but in terms of the actual world, Gold and Silver has by far aged the worst. The remakes really demonstrated how dull the design in it is. It certainly made me appreciate RSE more.

Wait what, didn't someone here say that on some systems the US worked on Europe or vice versa?

I was sure.. what. Oh well.
My european copy of Pokemon White works on my NA 3DS. I'm not entirely sure this would work with W2/B2 though. Might be due to that 3DS app.

Does memory link work with games from different regions ala EU White -> NA White 2 ?

Very informative OT, my excitement sharply rose.
I still haven't decided on what pokemon I plan to use, maybe i'll just go with the flow for a change.

I suppose nobody can really answer yet, but just in case, does anyone know if they've fixed the wild encounter rate from B/W? I used to get so frustrated in Black because I just couldn't get anywhere in a reasonable length of time. There was no grace period between wild battles, so you could get attacked again just by changing direction on the same tile. It eventually just stole away any desire I had to play the game.

I know, I know, Super Repels, but I didn't want no battles at all. I tried to go into Black without memorizing all the new Pokemon on Serebii.net before I'd even started the game, so I was encountering all those duders for the first time. I managed to get to Chargestone Cave before it was too much for me and I kept checking the internet to make sure I'd caught one of every Pokemon in a route before busting out the Repels.

Also, any confirmation on L=A and an auto-run option would be appreciated. No idea why Gamefreak would ever take those out.

Top Bottom