• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2 |OT| Zero Shades of Grey

This is not Pokemon. Got bored halfway through White.

This is Pokemon:

Pokemon_Blue_Version_GBC_ScreenShot4.gif

Oh well.

Wouldn't be a Pokemon thread without nostalgists popping in to lament that things have gone on without them. Thanks for stopping by.

bon

This is not Pokemon. Got bored halfway through White.

This is Pokemon:

Pokemon_Blue_Version_GBC_ScreenShot4.gif

Oh well.

Alright we have a "Pokemon has changed too much" post. Now we just need some "Pokemon hasn't changed enough" posts and this thread will officially be off the ground.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Alright we have a "Pokemon has changed too much" post. Now we just need some "Pokemon hasn't changed enough" posts and this thread will officially be off the ground.
Where are the FMV cutscenes? Get with the fucking times GameFreak.

Uh so for this "challenge mode" do I get a separate save file for that or do I start over again?

I'll buy a copy of the game for my brother but I'm probably going to sit this game out. First time I've ever done that with the main series but I'm pretty burned out with DS Pokemon games and Unova.

Bring on sixth gen!

So is Black the version to get? I have no idea which of the exclusive 5th gen Pokemon are worth it but apparently the status bars on the battle screen are different too? The black status bar looks much better IMO.

Where are the FMV cutscenes? Get with the fucking times GameFreak.

Uh so for this "challenge mode" do I get a separate save file for that or do I start over again?
From Serebii:
Serebii said:
Challenge Mode is essentially the "Hard" setting of the game. Within the Challenge Mode, the levels of Trainer's Pokémon will be higher, starting at one level higher and reaching 5 levels higher at the end. In addition to that, the AI of the opponents will be higher.

In addition to this, the Gym Leaders and Elite Four will have an extra Pokémon within their squads, and their other Pokémon shall have different movesets and hold items.

So is Black the version to get? I have no idea which of the exclusive 5th gen Pokemon are worth it but apparently the status bars on the battle screen are different too? The black status bar looks much better IMO.
Choose whoever has the coolest legendary on the box, in your opinion. That's all that matters.

IrishNinja

great OP!

okay so since gravijah's not up at this hour:

if i finally wanna break into pokemons, does this look like the one? will i be missing out on stuff from black or white 1? i literally don't know shit since the cartoon, and was debating holding out for the first actual 3DS one, but i dunno. that Pokedex app thing looks cool too.

gosox333

My favorite gen is ____! [1/2/3/4/5]

I ____ [like/dislke] the new Pokemon designs. They sure do look ____[overdesigned/artisically varied]

Gen 3 sure was ____ [terrible/great]! It completely [ruined Pokemon forever/made Pokemon what it is today].

Fill in your blanks and save for every future Pokemon thread ever.

Ah man, can't wait to get an Arcanine! Couple more days!

Btw, who's gonna catch every single Pokemon?

Arcanine? He's okay, I guess. If you like that sort of thing...

Several of us have already caught everything! (Minus Meloetta and Genesect, of course.) It's just going to take a lot of time/Patrats to trade it all over.

IrishNinja

while im asking rhetorical questions: what was so bad/such a divide with gen 3? aren't you still basically capturing animals and having them fight?

ffdgh

while im asking rhetorical questions: what was so bad/such a divide with gen 3? aren't you still basically capturing animals and having them fight?

Tis a fun ocean adventure...to put it lightly I guess.....and I suppose steven being replaced with wallace.

Awwwwwwwwww sheet! It's so close! It feels so weird, having a new Pokemon title show up in the Fall, but WHO CARES 1 WEEK WOOOOOOOOOO

Black 2 -> send Challenge Mode to White 2 -> White 2.

It's a combination of several things:

- No compatibility between GSC and Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, for technical reasons (no GBC/GBA link capability, and the data format for Pokemon was completely changed, making forward trading impossible)

- Because of the aforementioned change, there was no way to get a majority of Kanto/Johto Pokémon until FireRed/LeafGreen were released, quite a while after RS.

- New system blues and nostalgia, probably.

- Something about lots of water and trumpets, I hear.

- edit: VV Ah right, this was also riding off the extreme Pokémon hype wave, so there was bound to be fallout.

great OP!

okay so since gravijah's not up at this hour:

if i finally wanna break into pokemons, does this look like the one? will i be missing out on stuff from black or white 1? i literally don't know shit since the cartoon, and was debating holding out for the first actual 3DS one, but i dunno. that Pokedex app thing looks cool too.

Black/White 2 should be fine to jump in on. Seems stand-alone enough and the originals were a kind of streamlined "new start" for the series so this should be a good one to get in on, being in the same mold.

I really think it was the timing as much as anything. It came out at the point where a lot of people that started with the series would be "growing out of it", so it kinda got the focus of that, and things as big as Pokemon can only be sustained for so long before experiencing some kind of lull. In terms of the games themselves, there was a lot of water in the region and it introduced more HMs which people already have a problem with.

I liked Gen 3, and it did a lot for the games under the hood, but it certainly marked a point where the amount my friends and I were playing trailed off for a while before a resurgance a couple years later.

I think it was just the point where some people needed a bit of downtime.

Stage On

Talk about a fast turn around time. It used to be it felt like forever for a Pokemon game to come out and yet this time I feel like they barely just announced it yesterday :)

IrishNinja

good answers, thanks guys. again i literally just played a bit of red, so that's all i got here.
OP says playing 1 isn't a perquisite, will i miss out on plot stuff? sounds like a few bits are unlocked from a save file, and it says the game's largely stand-alone, just wondering if there's gonna be a catch-up or something.

id also have to decide which version to go with...how do the rest of you guys do this?

Ragus

Banned
good answers, thanks guys. again i literally just played a bit of red, so that's all i got here.
OP says playing 1 isn't a perquisite, will i miss out on plot stuff? sounds like a few bits are unlocked from a save file, and it says the game's largely stand-alone, just wondering if there's gonna be a catch-up or something.

id also have to decide which version to go with...how do the rest of you guys do this?

Went with White for the first time, and now it's time to play its sequel - White 2.

Top Bottom