• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2 |OT| Zero Shades of Grey

Wichu

This thread seems pretty dead, but...

I've beaten the E4 and now I'm looking to build a complete team. This is what it looks like so far.

Serperior Lv.60
Arcanine Lv.56
Azumarill Lv.55
Tornadus Lv. 49 (Did end up getting that app. Meh)
Mamoswine Lv.65
Zoroark Lv.73 (I gave him Exp.Share for a few hours...)

I've grown pretty attached to Mamoswine and Arcanine and Zoroark's ability is too fun online. Serperior is alright, but I'm open to suggestions for a better grass type. Tornadus and Azumarill definitely need to go.
So, what's the best way to go for water and grass types? And what should I replace Tornadus with? Been thinking about Psychic something, but can't decide between Ralts, Gothita or Munna to train.

As you mentioned you play online, here's some Pokémon I like that aren't necessarily good in-game, but are fun to play against other people.

Also, you could build up your Join Avenue with beauty salons/dojos/cafés, use the salons to wipe your team's EVs, then EV them up properly and make your team a force to be reckoned with ;)

Favourite Waters:
195.png

Quagsire - Dream World ability (Unaware) if possible. Send it in against things trying to set up, and laugh in their faces. You'll want at least Recover as an egg move (and possibly Curse if you want to really turn the tables).
184.png

Azumarill - it's actually amazing if you can get yourself a Huge Power one. Breed Aqua Jet onto it (or if you're feeling extremely daring, Belly Drum) and hit things for massive damage.
Favourite Grass:
547.png

Whimsicott - Encore with +1 priority is pretty crazy. Pick and choose the other three moves to cause as much grief as possible - your options include Leech Seed, Taunt, Stun Spore, Substitute, Tailwind.
Favourite Psychic: Sigilyph
561.png

Sigilyph - Avoid status conditions with Magic Guard + Flame Orb, screw physical attackers by burning them too with Psycho Shift, make yourself invincible with Cosmic Power and Roost, and finally start dishing out the pain with 260-base power Stored Powers. If you can get it in against something that can't kill it easily, it can demolish the opponent's entire team.

But if you just want raw power, there's Pokémon like Alakazam, Metagross, Gyarados, Roserade, Rotom, Kingdra, the Eevee evolutions, most starters, and of course legendary Pokémon.

upandaway

Kingdra counts as pure power? I thought he was a sort of dynamic guy...

For grass I would definitely go Whimsicott, your team really looks like it could use one. For water anything bulky will also fit your team, I think, but you could also go for pure coverage since water Pokemon usually have pretty neat movepools.

A fighter might be better than a psychic, but if you still want psychic, I like Reuniclus. I've seen Medicham do amazing things and he's fighting/psychic, too

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Kingdra counts as pure power? I thought he was a sort of dynamic guy...

For grass I would definitely go Whimsicott, your team really looks like it could use one. For water anything bulky will also fit your team, I think, but you could also go for pure coverage since water Pokemon usually have pretty neat movepools.

A fighter might be better than a psychic, but if you still want psychic, I like Reuniclus. I've seen Medicham do amazing things and he's fighting/psychic, too

SS Kingdra is godlike. Make sure there's no water/grass walls and he'll rip through a team like nothing is there.

Slermy

My little cousins were playing Pokemon on Christmas day and it made we wanna jump back in. I can never bring myself to delete a save file, so I just bought this game so I could start a new adventure.

It's a lot better than I was expecting it to be. Is the Dream Radar app worth buying? I really want this guy...

tornadus-therian.jpg

I picked it up (Dream Radar). Eh, it's okay. I don't feel like it was a waste of money, a decent way to collect shards and other items, along with Dreamworld Pokémon, but the "game" isn't all that entertaining.

Thanks guys.

I actually have a Lv.65 Whimsicott sitting in one of my boxes, so I'll try it out. My Azumarill does have huge power, but I mustn't be taking advantage of it properly. I'll try replacing Aqua Tail with Aqua Jet.

Alakazam has always been one of my favourite Pokemon, but I have no idea how I'd get a hold of one. If Sigilyph can learn fly then he can take Tornadus' place while I explore the post-game content.

Gruco

Banned
Can anyone recommend a good backup option? With the cumulative experience of Emerald, Plat, Soul Silver, Black and Black 2 floating around, I'm increasingly paranoid about somehow losing the previous several years cumulative work.

Also unrelated, but does anyone else work on collecting alternate ability females? There are a few that would be nice to have to breed, but especially since dream points don't seem to transfer from the first cart, I don't know if I can be bothered to keep looking for them. There are still a few like Swift Swim Poliwag I was never able to get a female for.

Slermy

Can anyone recommend a good backup option? With the cumulative experience of Emerald, Plat, Soul Silver, Black and Black 2 floating around, I'm increasingly paranoid about somehow losing the previous several years cumulative work.

Also unrelated, but does anyone else work on collecting alternate ability females? There are a few that would be nice to have to breed, but especially since dream points don't seem to transfer from the first cart, I don't know if I can be bothered to keep looking for them. There are still a few like Swift Swim Poliwag I was never able to get a female for.

I wouldn't say I work for them per se, but when I'm in Dreamworld, I ONLY take the females.

Oh, and as far as backing up, for the DS games you can copy pokémon with one of those GTS spoofers. I like this one: https://www.pokecheck.org/. They try to be somewhat reasonable with it and put clones in premier balls. You can also save the pokémon as a file for recovery later. I put a couple of my favorites through it.

upandaway

Thanks guys.

I actually have a Lv.65 Whimsicott sitting in one of my boxes, so I'll try it out. My Azumarill does have huge power, but I mustn't be taking advantage of it properly. I'll try replacing Aqua Tail with Aqua Jet.

Alakazam has always been one of my favourite Pokemon, but I have no idea how I'd get a hold of one. If Sigilyph can learn fly then he can take Tornadus' place while I explore the post-game content.
You can trade with the girl in Accumula for an Alakazam (she trades twice, the second is Alakazam)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So my team right now is:

Swanna
Sigilyph
Krokorok
Lucario
Servine
Volcarona

I'm thinking of replacing one of these with Vibrava (to eventually turn into a Flygon), to combat electricity and ground weakness on this team, what y'all think? Thinking of replacing Sigilyph. Any other obvious weaknesses here?

I don't care for PvP, this is strictly PvE.

upandaway

So my team right now is:

Swanna
Sigilyph
Krokorok
Lucario
Servine
Volcarona

I'm thinking of replacing one of these with Vibrava (to eventually turn into a Flygon), to combat electricity and ground weakness on this team, what y'all think? Thinking of replacing Sigilyph. Any other obvious weaknesses here?

Flygon is really awesome, but you don't really need him in that team.. in-game, variables don't matter so much defensively as they do offensively. As long as you have enough fast, strong attacks of all types..

In your case I would centralize the team around covering for Lucario and Volcarona because of their typing resistances and buff moves, they can deal with anything in-game together unless they're severely disadvantaged

Bururian

Picked up White 2 today. First Pokemon game since I played Gold back in Middle School. Holy shit, so many new features. This is probably going to end up sucking up a lot of my free time.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So my team right now is:

Swanna
Sigilyph
Krokorok
Lucario
Servine
Volcarona

I would say you don't really need Sigilyph since you have another flying type and Lucario and Volcarona can both learn psychic. Wouldn't Krokorok already cover electric though? If anything unless Swanna has Ice Beam or Lucario has Dragon Pulse you may need a dragon counter.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hilariously enough I think an Ice move is a better dragon counter than a Dragon move because it has a possibility to deal x4 damage.

Croc

Banned
Okay so I got this for Christmas and am just now starting to play it.

Is it just me or in battles in the other games did it used to show the move description and what each move did? Cause I feel really dumb in battles early on cause I can't remember what moves do and I keep not being able to remember whether to use Bubble or Water Sport with my Azurill.

Is there any way to make it so it shows the description during battle at least?

Okay so I got this for Christmas and am just now starting to play it.

Is it just me or in battles in the other games did it used to show the move description and what each move did? Cause I feel really dumb in battles early on cause I can't remember what moves do and I keep not being able to remember whether to use Bubble or Water Sport with my Azurill.

Is there any way to make it so it shows the description during battle at least?
When selecting the move, hold down the L button before pressing A - it'll pop up the descriptive stuff.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Flygon is really awesome, but you don't really need him in that team.. in-game, variables don't matter so much defensively as they do offensively. As long as you have enough fast, strong attacks of all types..

In your case I would centralize the team around covering for Lucario and Volcarona because of their typing resistances and buff moves, they can deal with anything in-game together unless they're severely disadvantaged
I would say you don't really need Sigilyph since you have another flying type and Lucario and Volcarona can both learn psychic. Wouldn't Krokorok already cover electric though? If anything unless Swanna has Ice Beam or Lucario has Dragon Pulse you may need a dragon counter.
Thanks for the replies guys.

Lucario and Swanna don't have either of those moves. I think I'm gonna go ahead and replace 'em. Well, already kind of did. I guess Flygon would serve well as a Dragon counter, and it also can learn rock moves so that's a bonus for me. The only other hole is psychic, and I guess I could just teach Volcarona or Lucario Psychic, I'm guessing better to teach it to Lucario.

Why do you have Swanna? Isn't Magikarp earlier to get now?
I really like Ducklett :x

But really, this is very similar to my B/W team. And I don't think it's earlier to get Magikarp now, I haven't caught it yet and caught pretty much everything I can thus far so yeah.

Firestorm

So for anyone interested in competitive play, the next three weekends have interesting events:

and then after that is the January International Challenge over WiFi which everyone can compete in (January 24th - 28th, 2013)! It should be a good month :)

gosox333

Anybody wanna help me by trading this Feebas so it'll evolve, and then trading it back to me? I just got done breeding for a good one and realized I can't evolve it on my own...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Are you able to trade Unova Link keys online? I have the Regice and White Forest Keys, anyone with Black want to trade their keys if so?

Not sure about catching, but you can buy one from the dude on the bridge.
You can only do this post-elite 4 because that bridge is inaccessible until then it turns out.

Anybody wanna help me by trading this Feebas so it'll evolve, and then trading it back to me? I just got done breeding for a good one and realized I can't evolve it on my own...
Sure, I could help you out, would want to evolve some pokemon for Pokedex sake myself.

I found this weird glitch last night in B2. It was on the route between the first two towns. I was walking up the stairs you need surf to get to and I was stuck inside the stairs for awhile. Eventually got out but was strange.

The GTS is crap. I haven't used it since Diamond, and now I remember why.

So I go searching for a Seadra, thinking surely the only reason anyone would be trading this Pokemon is to get a Kingdra. Nope. Everyone wants a Lv.1 Zekrom or something equally ridiculous for their common ass Seadra. And none of them are even holding Dragon Scale.

So I put my Seadra up for trade and the response is surprisingly quick. But the jerk doesn't give his a Dragon Scale. Now I'm stuck with a Seadra and zero Dragon Scales ;_;

The GTS is crap. I haven't used it since Diamond, and now I remember why.

So I go searching for a Seadra, thinking surely the only reason anyone would be trading this Pokemon is to get a Kingdra. Nope. Everyone wants a Lv.1 Zekrom or something equally ridiculous for their common ass Seadra. And none of them are even holding Dragon Scale.

So I put my Seadra up for trade and the response is surprisingly quick. But the jerk doesn't give his a Dragon Scale. Now I'm stuck with a Seadra and zero Dragon Scales ;_;

You're doing it wrong if you're expecting a Dragon Scale on the GTS. The GTS is not designed for such trades in the first place.

upandaway

Then how am I supposed to get a Kingdra? :(

Edit: Apparently they can be found by fishing in shaking spots. With a 5% encounter rate.

tumblr_mcy3m9gCjv1r8l20v.gif
Not just shaking spots, any Horsea can have it too with 5% chance.

If you run a Pokemon with Compoundeyes, and then during battle switch to a Pokemon with Frisk (just google both of 'em ), you should find a scale relatively quickly. After that just ask around.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Does anyone have a duped Kaldeo? Would get me back into playing the game...

I have been poring hours into getting Pokemon from the pokedex list. It's been fun, but sometimes I feel like I'm spinning my wheels. I am dragging along Thundara or what ever the flying thunder Pokemon from dream radar is. Leveling him from 10 to 27 while I search for rare Pokemon keeps me sane.

Not just shaking spots, any Horsea can have it too with 5% chance.

If you run a Pokemon with Compoundeyes, and then during battle switch to a Pokemon with Frisk (just google both of 'em ), you should find a scale relatively quickly. After that just ask around.

No, I was talking about wild Kingdra's.

I will look for another Dragon Scale though. If anyone here wants to help me out with a trade it would be much appreciated :3

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
My little cousins were playing Pokemon on Christmas day and it made we wanna jump back in. I can never bring myself to delete a save file, so I just bought this game so I could start a new adventure.

It's a lot better than I was expecting it to be. Is the Dream Radar app worth buying? I really want this guy...

tornadus-therian.jpg
Holy hell that thing is ugly! I had no idea it existed. My god. That's my new least favorite Pokemon design.

btkadams

i asked this in the community thread, but it sort of faded away as people talked about other stuff ha.

does anybody have an extra keldeo that they would be willing to part with? i have some extra legendaries as well and i would be willing to trade any of them in return.

these are what i have to trade:
Zekrom
Mewtwo x2
Raikou
Entei x2
Genesect <- i figure this one is a worthy replacement

anyone want to help? thanks in advance! this is my LAST POKEMON to acquire and i'm very excited.

edit: nvm! i guess there is a keldeo wifi event in a couple days. yay!

Andrefpvs

Guys, is there any place where I can get a comprehensive list of everything there is to do post-game? I feel like I can still get more life out of this game, so I wanna make sure there's still stuff left to do (outside of the daily events).

I already know about Serebii, Bulbapedia and Marriland, but I wonder if there's anything more list-like out there that I haven't been able to find.

JulianImp

I've beat all gyms now, so all that's left is clearing the Victory Road and beating the Elite Four.

I ended up sticking with my mono-ghost team (Golurk, Cofragius, Difblim, Banette, Lampent and Frillish's evolution), and so far I haven't gotten stuck at all. I think I might have some trouble if there still is a dark-type elite four member, but I've been able to beat individual dark types without too many problems.

The variety of secondary types they gave ghosts this generation is really welcome, and Cofragius' unique mummy ability was a fun addition that was even helpful every now and then.

However, I didn't like the new storyline at all (unless something else happens after beating the game's legendary), since I felt BW1's team plasma had a lot more presence, unlike the new team, which was more like your run-of-the-mill evil organization bent on world domination, and the confrontation wasn't as interesting as BW1's
showdown at the floating castle where all the gym leaders showed up
; in BW2, the former team plasma barely did anything, and the final confrontation wasn't nearly as dramatic as the ones in previous games.

I beat Pokemon Black 2 this morning and clocked around 70 hours on that game. Really the best pokemon I've ever played. Sadly, it could have been so much better.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I beat Pokemon Black 2 this morning and clocked around 70 hours on that game. Really the best pokemon I've ever played. Sadly, it could have been so much better.

Care to expand? Makes for a better conversation if we knew your issues with it.

Care to expand? Makes for a better conversation if we knew your issues with it.

So my favorite before Black 2 was soul silver. The game was designed to take full advantage of the DS system when it was improved. The ability to enable auto run, the tap L instead of press A option, and the flow of the game were really good. The second quest didn't try to redo the first from the first gen, and allowed a pure focus on gym battles.

Black 2 has none of those improvements. It's saving grace is the habitat list. The ability to know if I've cleared an area of all the pokemon I want to capture with out having to leave the game to check is invaluable. It had me going back and to areas I normally wouldn't have revisited and walked around with the dowsing machine while I hunted down pokemon to capture. Where I felt like I could go anywhere in SS, the path can become confusing and restrictive in B2. I had to check several times where I should be going and when I did so, I felt like I should have known already. I'm not asking for a quest marker, but there are so many times in Black 2 that I went somewhere and it was blocked by someone, under construction, or people were saying I wasn't strong enough with out battling me.

The selection of Pokemon, the gyms, and the improvement to 'Catching them All' make B2 a great game. It's instance on using the C gear while abandoning the improvements of SS are what, in my mind, keep it from being the best game.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So my favorite before Black 2 was soul silver. The game was designed to take full advantage of the DS system when it was improved. The ability to enable auto run, the tap L instead of press A option, and the flow of the game were really good. The second quest didn't try to redo the first from the first gen, and allowed a pure focus on gym battles.

Black 2 has none of those improvements. It's saving grace is the habitat list. The ability to know if I've cleared an area of all the pokemon I want to capture with out having to leave the game to check is invaluable. It had me going back and to areas I normally wouldn't have revisited and walked around with the dowsing machine while I hunted down pokemon to capture. Where I felt like I could go anywhere in SS, the path can become confusing and restrictive in B2. I had to check several times where I should be going and when I did so, I felt like I should have known already. I'm not asking for a quest marker, but there are so many times in Black 2 that I went somewhere and it was blocked by someone, under construction, or people were saying I wasn't strong enough with out battling me.

The selection of Pokemon, the gyms, and the improvement to 'Catching them All' make B2 a great game. It's instance on using the C gear while abandoning the improvements of SS are what, in my mind, keep it from being the best game.

Yeah, I never understood why they take features of the previous games out. L at the action button makes perfect sense, and having your Pokemon follow you around in HGSS was my favourite feature. I was hoping for a Secret Bases return, but maybe in XY with StreetPass.

I guess I don't have the feeling of HGSS being so open because I've played them so much. Optional gym order is always a cool though. I enjoy the BW world a lot more than previous generations. There is so much optional stuff to do and explore. There's a lot of work put into the gyms in BW2 too that I really enjoy.

Thanks for expanding. I always like to hear fully fleshed out opinions on games!

Yeah, I never understood why they take features of the previous games out. L at the action button makes perfect sense, and having your Pokemon follow you around in HGSS was my favourite feature. I was hoping for a Secret Bases return, but maybe in XY with StreetPass.

I guess I don't have the feeling of HGSS being so open because I've played them so much. Optional gym order is always a cool though. I enjoy the BW world a lot more than previous generations. There is so much optional stuff to do and explore. There's a lot of work put into the gyms in BW2 too that I really enjoy.

Thanks for expanding. I always like to hear fully fleshed out opinions on games!

No problem. Initially I didn't explain because it was the same stuff I complained about in the weekly "Whatcha Been Playin'" thread, but I now realize that I'm the only one that sees those complaints repeatedly. I forgot about the pokemon following you around. I spend way to much time on the bike.

JulianImp

Yeah, it's strange how many improvements HG/SS made that were completely ignored for B/W. I don't like when they try to shove the latest poké-gear lookalike down your throat, and the only DS game that doesn't do so is the one with the original poké-gear... oh, the irony. The Pokétch wasn't worth it, but it still was more varied than the C-Gear, which was so limited in what it could do that they could've pushed it to its own sub-menu and leave the regular menu on the touch screen.

I felt a bit like the game was mocking me when I spotted an old lady who offers you to walk her mienfoo around her house for a while. It's a bit like saying "Hey, it's not like we've taken this feature out, we just decided we wouldn't allow you to use it this time!"...

Berordn

It's silly, but apparently most of the changes from HG/SS didn't make it in because the teams don't believe in backporting the changes when they're being developed concurrently, like HG/SS and B/W were.

But with the remake team on version 2, I don't know why we still had the terrible B/W UI. Probably just easier to spruce it up rather than rebuild.

Blueblur1

So PokeGAF, Best Buy has Black Version 2 and White Version 2 on sale. Is there a version that's better than the other or are the differences strictly different wild Pokemon like in the past?

Top Bottom