• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Mr-Joker

Banned
Played more Pokémon Diamond and with 2 Pokémon weak to Rock and one that was super effective I managed to defeat Roark, was actually surprised as I got his team line up confused with Roxanne Ruby and Emerald team, this is what happens when you use Rock for the first gym 3 times.

Anyway despite my confusion, Snea, Rozu and Ketot the Kricketune managed to take down his Pokémon with Rozu poisoning his Cranidos before she went down leaving Snea to finish the job.

In terms of game play mechanic I have to say that I really miss TM being unbreakable as I have been holding off teaching Char, Hidden Power.

Also in regard to how Sun and Moon always interrupts the players before bombarding them with a cut scene, so far Pokémon Diamond does do that but it is less pronounce and ends much quicker than Sun and Moon does.

For example after defeating Roark when I was heading leave the City, Pearl pop up just to tell the player where they should head next, it was quick and short and the player is then free to go wherever they want to go, so I decided to explore a part of Oreburgh Gate before trekking back to Jubilife City so at no point did I ever feel like that the game was taking away control from me and guide me in the direction that they wanted me to go.

Double Post, but different topic.

WHY does Colress's Mega Metagross always outpace my Mega Lucario? My Lucario is Jolly. When it mega evolves, it has base 112 plus the positive speed nature.

Colress's Mega Metagross only has 110 base speed. Even if it is also Jolly, I should always win.

But it ALWAYS goes first and it ALWAYS kills my Mega Lucario with Brick Break.

I can't figure out why. Why is this happening?

Double Post, but different topic.

WHY does Colress's Mega Metagross always outpace my Mega Lucario? My Lucario is Jolly. When it mega evolves, it has base 112 plus the positive speed nature.

Colress's Mega Metagross only has 110 base speed. Even if it is also Jolly, I should always win.

But it ALWAYS goes first and it ALWAYS kills my Mega Lucario with Brick Break.

I can't figure out why. Why is this happening?
Can't see anything on his possible teams that reduce or raise speed (Sticky Web, Tailwind, Trick Room, hell even Icy Wind). It's possible it's another entry glitch on their side.

Are you absolutely sure your Lucario has 252 Speed EVs? You might have accidentally lowered it when raising its friendship via EV-reducing berries or something.

I'm currently playing through Black for the first time, since it was the only generation that I skipped out on. I'm.....really liking it so far. I'm actually having a lot more fun with this game than I did with Sun, unfortunately. I completely understand why some people would like S/M more, but this just FEELS better to me.

I hear Black 2 is even better, but we shall see.

Can't see anything on his possible teams that reduce or raise speed (Sticky Web, Tailwind, Trick Room, hell even Icy Wind). It's possible it's another entry glitch on their side.

Are you absolutely sure your Lucario has 252 Speed EVs? You might have accidentally lowered it when raising its friendship via EV-reducing berries or something.

100% sure. It has the proper sparkles and everything. I've actually been using this Lucario since XY.

9 times out of 10, the battle goes like this:

Colress leads with Magnezone, I lead with M-Lucario. I 1HKO the Magnezone with Close Combat.

Colress sends out Metagross. I queue up Crunch. Metagross mega evolves and 1HKOs my Mega Lucario with Brick Break.

I fight him constantly because the hax-heavy RNG picks him as ideal opposition to my team. It's always him and Wally.

I'm used to Battle Tree/Frontier BS where enemies have perfect accuracy and fortune. I'm used to constantly getting frozen solid with Ice Punch or having my Stone Edge miss three times in a row.

But this particular thing makes me so mad because it's a match-up I should be winning and should be countering but am not because there is something illegitimate under the hood.

IDIOT EDIT: oh god it's been Adamant this entire time. I'm a moron.

I've seen conflicting things in this subject so I figured I'll ask here. I would like to transfer my Pokémon from SS and Platinum to Black so I can put them in the bank. Do I just need to beat the B/W elite 4 to do this? Do I need to do anything in the Gen IV games?

brinstar

I'm currently playing through Black for the first time, since it was the only generation that I skipped out on. I'm.....really liking it so far. I'm actually having a lot more fun with this game than I did with Sun, unfortunately. I completely understand why some people would like S/M more, but this just FEELS better to me.

I hear Black 2 is even better, but we shall see.

Best game in the series imo. I didn't like BW2 quite as much but it has a lot of bonus stuff to do so it pairs excellently with it. Make sure to do the save file link thingy (and name your protag something different from your Black protag) with it to get the most out of the story.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I played some more Pokémon Diamond and I am in Eterna City defeated the gym leader and took out team Galactic.

How is that a Pokémon game released in 2006/2007 doesn't treat the player like idiots but at the same time make it pretty clear where the player should go but modern Pokémon game holds the player hands and isn't willing to let them learn.

I mean there's only one way that the player can realistically leave Eterna City and that's down south and once the player goes and get the bike the game will not let the player go anywhere else but down the cycle road but at the same time assumes that the player is smart enough to go and get the bike themselves.

I mean right now I could get the bike and leave Eterna City but I first I am going to make a detour back to Eterna Forest and explore Old Chateau and prior to that I explored a bit in Route 211 and fought 3 trainers and picked up some items.

Grexeno

So I played some more Pokémon Diamond and I am in Eterna City defeated the gym leader and took out team Galactic.

How is that a Pokémon game released in 2006/2007 doesn't treat the player like idiots but at the same time make it pretty clear where the player should go but modern Pokémon game holds the player hands and isn't willing to let them learn.

I mean there's only one way that the player can realistically leave Eterna City and that's down south and once the player goes and get the bike the game will not let the player go anywhere else but down the cycle road but at the same time assumes that the player is smart enough to go and get the bike themselves.

I mean right now I could get the bike and leave Eterna City but I first I am going to make a detour back to Eterna Forest and explore Old Chateau and prior to that I explored a bit in Route 211 and fought 3 trainers and picked up some items.
Kids got lost so that was that

To be fair to those kids, I also got lost. To be fair to me, it was in a language I had a basic grasp of 1/2 alphabets it used and I had forgotten/didn't know about the Hearthome Gym.

At least my Budew evolved at 28 because it looped back around to morning by the time I figured it out.

stn

So, I have all of my old Pokes sitting in Pokemon Platinum. I have White 2, which I gathered I need to transfer them to Sun. Thing is, I'm meeting a friend from out of country in 2 weeks and I would actually like to give him White 2 to keep. So...

1. I have not yet beaten Sun. Can I still transfer my Pokes to it?

2. If I want to beat Sun within 2 weeks, how many hours do I need? I've been playing for 5, I'm preparing for the fire trials or whatever its called. I don't intend to grind, I just want to beat the story.

3. If I am able to transfer them immediately, can they just sit in the Pokemon Bank program?

Sorry, many questions. Really appreciate the help in advance!

spiritfox

Poketransporter transfers directly to Bank, and you can keep the Pokemon there indefinitely as long as you pay for it. But you can transfer to Sun from Bank as long as you have been to the first Pokemon Center. You don't have to beat the game to transfer Pokemon.

I finally finished Moon and ehhh. Can't say I'm a huge fan. Nicest thing I can say is they got rid of HM's. I hated z moves and I feel like my team was never strong. My Deucideye was so weak to a lot. Thankfully I had a Litten in my bank. Unless USUM bring back super training and cut down on the obnoxious cutscenes I think I won't partake

Macka

Are Pokemon Sun & Moon popular? Obviously they sold well, but it seems to be a pretty common sentiment on the web that once the new gen sheen wore off, the disappointment really started to set in.

It feels like the Pokemon is in a weird place at the moment. All of the major communities seem much more quiet than usual, and it's been that way for...a long time. I don't recall things dying down like this so quickly after a new generation release before.

Are Pokemon Sun & Moon popular? Obviously they sold well, but it seems to be a pretty common sentiment on the web that once the new gen sheen wore off, the disappointment really started to set in..

This is literally how I saw the internet's reception to XY once the 3D spectacle had worn off. Comments all over the place about how they're the worst in the series. Too easy, low number of new Pokemon while old ones hogging the spotlight, lack of story compared to Gen V, poor postgame etc.

I can understand those criticisms even though I liked XY, though I've only played through it once so maybe my opinion would change if I went back to it.

Macka

This is literally how I saw the internet's reception to XY once the 3D spectacle had worn off. Comments all over the place about how they're the worst in the series. Too easy, low number of new Pokemon while old ones hogging the spotlight, lack of story compared to Gen V, poor postgame etc.

I can understand those criticisms even though I liked XY, though I've only played through it once so maybe my opinion would change if I went back to it.
Whoa, that wasn't my experience at all. Trading and battling was huge for at least six months after they came out, and it didn't really drop off overnight after that either. Subreddits like r/PokemonTrades and r/FriendSafari propped up with tons of activity. Shiny hunting became way more common because the odds were halved, and communities formed around that alone. On Smogon members had personal trading threads rather than one general purpose thing.

Like...that's why I'm asking the question - because it seems so different to how things were after X&Y. I know the gen had its detractors (and even more now), but the community was thriving as far as I remember.

Whoa, that wasn't my experience at all. Trading and battling was huge for at least six months after they came out, and it didn't really drop off overnight after that either. Subreddits like r/PokemonTrades and r/FriendSafari propped up with tons of activity. Shiny hunting became way more common because the odds were halved, and communities formed around that alone. On Smogon members had personal trading threads rather than one general purpose thing.

Like...that's why I'm asking the question - because it seems so different to how things were after X&Y. I know the gen had its detractors (and even more now), but the community was thriving as far as I remember.
Multitude of factors, really. X/Y had probably the fastest way to trade in the series and the wait for Bank made people resort to Friend Safaris to get the most Pokemon possible whereas S/M has a very disappointing online and Bank updated three month after the games came out as opposed to five.

The other big one is hacking came back in a major way. The 3DS wasn't really that broken into in 2013, but this time? Games were cracked nearly 2 weeks before they came out, PKHeX was fully updated by launch, and there were newer and better entrypoints into the 3DS so that even children could do it. Nobody wants to trade in an environment where you can just make a shiny Gengar and then duplicate it 50 times without telling anyone and no one's the wiser unless you're well-versed in PID generation or they're really bad at clicking buttons to make a green check appear.

I think Gen 8 will be when that experience comes back. While there are some major strides being taken in Switch hacking (someone recently managed to modify a BotW save), I don't think they would be ready for something like S/M's launch fiasco in late 2018 / early 2019.

JoeM86

I'm still salty about last year.

So are a lot of people it seems. So many of my friends aren't bothering this year.

I imagine the cost of Anaheim for 4+ days in the middle of August right next to Disney adds to it too

Are Pokemon Sun & Moon popular? Obviously they sold well, but it seems to be a pretty common sentiment on the web that once the new gen sheen wore off, the disappointment really started to set in.

It feels like the Pokemon is in a weird place at the moment. All of the major communities seem much more quiet than usual, and it's been that way for...a long time. I don't recall things dying down like this so quickly after a new generation release before.

That's always how things go. It just seems bigger now because the internet is a dark and depressing place, getting worse with each passing year

Plus, as Dark Orchid said, hacking killed a lot of it in the community

I think it's hard to gauge the popularity of a Pokémon game. I've been playing Moon for close to 300 hours, the most I've spent since Platinum. But I don't think I would ever want to REPLAY Moon, at least in its base form.

Sun/Moon, particularly its characters, still seem extremely popular. There's lots of fan art and followings and stuff. People also seem to unanimously prefer the mechanical/QoL changes and expect them to be the new baseline for the series moving forward.

But the PokéDex does not seem popular and there is little love for most new Pokémon. Mimikyu has its fans for sure, and people love the Alolan forms of old Pokémon, but the new Pokémon already feel forgotten.

People seem to love Alola conceptually but feel let down by its size and scope.

But I don't know. How long do we expect Pokémon to stay in people's minds? I guess it hasn't even been a year. Maybe it has quieted down faster than normal.

JoeM86

I think it's hard to gauge the popularity of a Pokémon game. I've been playing Moon for close to 300 hours, the most I've spent since Platinum. But I don't think I would ever want to REPLAY Moon, at least in its base form.

Sun/Moon, particularly its characters, still seem extremely popular. There's lots of fan art and followings and stuff. People also seem to unanimously prefer the mechanical/QoL changes and expect them to be the new baseline for the series moving forward.

But the PokéDex does not seem popular and there is little love for most new Pokémon. Mimikyu has its fans for sure, and people love the Alolan forms of old Pokémon, but the new Pokémon already feel forgotten.

People seem to love Alola conceptually but feel let down by its size and scope.

But I don't know. How long do we expect Pokémon to stay in people's minds? I guess it hasn't even been a year. Maybe it has quieted down faster than normal.

People seem to have the notion that Pokémon games need to be played constantly by players else they are bad.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The hypes part of me for Sun and Moon was the lead-up---but I haven't touched it since November when I beat the Elite Four and caught Tapu Koko.

I don't know how to feel about Ultra Sun and Moon---like, I won't skip it I imagine, but they need to tell us something about it.

I'd love to keep up with the anime but the subs come out too slow. C'mon Pokemon Company, isn't it time you embrace simulacast?

People seem to have the notion that Pokémon games need to be played constantly by players else they are bad.

This does seem like a folly, especially when the post-game content is extremely light.

Really dedicated players will keep playing no matter what. But I imagine most players finish the game and wait for the next one. You know, like every other game.

Yeah that's not XY. ORAS yeah but not XY.

also maybe I've just forgotten, but SM had QoL?

-The overhaul of the HM system, freeing up movesets and discouraging the use of a purely utility Pokémon.
-Attacks showing their type-effectiveness in battle after you've encountered a Pokémon for the first time.
-Improvements to the Poké Ball inheritance system.
-Removed lots of dialog screens and redundant messaging (for example, going up to the PC immediately opens the system with all functionality enabled. No more separate functions for organizing or extraneous messages)
-Lightning fast game-saving. A small, but noticeable improvement over previous entries.

That's just what I can remember, depending on your definition of QoL, there could be more or less.

I can't speak for everyone but for me it was getting rid off the PSS in favor of the Festival Plaza that killed it for me.

I put in over 1,200 hours into each copy of X,Y,Omega Ruby, and Alpha Saphire.

After I got threw the main games in those it was all about battling with breeding and trading taking place only to help me build a better battling team. It was easy to face randoms in 6v6 battles with the PSS. Unlike many of you I don't like going to message boards to look for battles. I don't like Smogon rules. I have my own self imposed rules that I follow and I like for my opponents to use whatever they want

Sun and Moon took that away. Players would put that they like to battle in their profile but never accepted battle request. I use to go a whole day trying for a 6v6 battle and never get one. I had a couple battles here on Gaf but I don't like using message boards to get battles. I couldn't start over and have a battle team ready and go on my journey while being challenged by passers-by like I use to do with the PSS. It sucked and I got bored. Festival Plaza made it so that I only put the minimum amount of time into two separate play threws.

brinstar

In my experience it's the first game on a new system that is really popular and then the others usually quiet down. Like X/Y was all over my twitter feed with friend safaris and trading and stuff, but OR/AS and S/M both came and went. It was like that with D/P and B/W for me as well.

I don't think that speaks to the quality of the games mind you, just what keeps people engaged gets harder each time until the brand refreshes. Also the 3DS is getting seriously long in the tooth, even the casual players I know are playing primarily on mobile or becoming interested in Switch.

It'll be interesting to see what US/UM brings but since they announced it with basically no info there's nothing to speculate about yet.

Pokemon on Switch, with ease of posting to twitter and facebook and hopefully improved social features will be huge.

I've actually been replaying Ruby to get as complete a box as possible in my Sun. I totally missed a few of those legendaries. Ruby is a fun game to power through again. But I never want to start over Sun. It's just gonna be for making a ton of battle pokes until Ultrasun comes out.

I do wish there was more to do post game but grinding out all these different pokemon takes enough time as it is. Is any one else around here still making new teams?

Yeah, X/Y being the first game on a new system and a lot of the multiplayer options being considerably easier to use really brought a surge of popularity for months, along with what others above mentioned.

Festival Plaza is shit. Game Freak needs to implement a new system in Gen 8 similar to the PSS that works on a single screen.

I'd love to keep up with the anime but the subs come out too slow. C'mon Pokemon Company, isn't it time you embrace simulacast?

I don't see this ever happening because the dub likes to replace a lot of the original music, likely to avoid paying royalties.

It's a shame, even if you really hate the anime, the one thing you can't fault it for is the music.

I sometimes think about attempting to go for a living dex. I don't know that I'll ever actually do it, but it's a fun idea.

Is there an optimal way to go about that? Is there somewhere that details what Pokemon are exclusive to certain games?

I about to start a new play threw of Pokémon Sun.

Is anyone willing to trade me a Mimikyu and Rockruff egg with proper nature? IV's don't matter.

If you decide to do this for me know that the Mimikyu and Rockruff eggs you trade me will eventually become the grandfather to a long line of competitive Mimikyu's and Lycanroc's that I'll breed using them. It'll also be my "starters" for the play threw.

I bread a competitive Toxapex but haven't gotten around to a competitive Mimikyu and Lycanroc.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
-The overhaul of the HM system, freeing up movesets and discouraging the use of a purely utility Pokémon.
-Attacks showing their type-effectiveness in battle after you've encountered a Pokémon for the first time.
-Improvements to the Poké Ball inheritance system.
-Removed lots of dialog screens and redundant messaging (for example, going up to the PC immediately opens the system with all functionality enabled. No more separate functions for organizing or extraneous messages)
-Lightning fast game-saving. A small, but noticeable improvement over previous entries.

That's just what I can remember, depending on your definition of QoL, there could be more or less.
all 3ds games have fast saving, also the pc is fast even in xy, it's just move pokemon became the first in the choices in oras

Macka

The HM moves being tied to Pokemon was a good starting point in Sun & Moon...but I honestly don't really like the idea of having to rent out other people's Pokemon. Plus, many of them were just pointless because they were only required a few times. The Machamp and Mudsdale ones in particular.

Ideally those actions will be tied to your own Pokemon in Gen 8.

Boss Doggie

The HM moves being tied to Pokemon was a good starting point in Sun & Moon...but I honestly don't really like the idea of having to rent out other people's Pokemon. Plus, many of them were just pointless because they were only required a few times. The Machamp and Mudsdale ones in particular.

Ideally those actions will be tied to your own Pokemon in Gen 8.
yeah, the only ones I used a lot were not-fly and tauros, the rest were really gimmicky, but then again hms are like that

I'd be fine if they let you slot in two Pokémon that can't be used for battle but you can keep them with you. Like an AUX slot. Or just let a bird Pokémon to be able to fly whenever. Why do I have to teach it that and use a slot when it flies any other time?

JoeM86

Mystery Files feature on the Daisuki Club updated with some bitching art

DFFCXbPXgAAGwVZ.jpg
DFFCcWBXgAAbMw6.jpg
DFFCeAPXsAAjauT.jpg
DFFChpfWsAAEZHI.jpg
DFFEwDZXsAEoR9i.jpg
DFFEwDAXoAAyecE.jpg
DFFEwDAXUAArSrb.jpg
DFFGeNzXUAEvfCr.jpg
DFFCurLXoAEzc0n.jpg
http://www.pokemon.jp/special/mystery/

Boss Doggie

So what's the official romanization of the Japanese name of Ho-oh? Is it similar to its English name Ho-oh? I don't trust Bulba's "Houou" because it took them up to last year to change their "Gekogashier" to "Gekogashira".

And yes, Pokemon Japanese names have official romanizations.

Top Bottom