• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

I actually, during my first play-through of Japanese Pearl, decided to use Lumineon as my Water-type. Why? I don't know. But he has a special place in my heart, lol. They should have gave him Quiver Dance in Black and White though, since its Japanese name is Butterfly Dance and Lumineon is inspired by the butterflyfish, with actual butterfly wings, and even learns a few other Bug moves. Would have helped him out. But yeah, he's my favorite generic fish Pokemon. Don't hate.

And Dunsparce earns my respect...it was in my HG team and beat Whitney's Miltank all by itself...with a Defense Curl/Roll Out combo.

Wait wait, you beat Whitney's dreaded Miltank with a Dunsparce? woah man just woah

Is there a map that shows all the treasures hidden in the deep ocean in Pokemon Emerald? I have to go chase the sub, but I also want to do some treasure hunting first.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Wait wait, you beat Whitney's dreaded Miltank with a Dunsparce? woah man just woah

Yeah, because it'd been using Roll Out against her previous Pokemon and was super-charged by the time Miltank came out.

Also, a lot of CoroCoro scans are beginning to appear on 2chan...no Pokemon ones yet, but perhaps soon. I saw one text-only rumor that mentioned Cheren as a Gym Leader, 2 years later, N returns, and new forms for Kyurem (probably just further info on it), Darmanitan, and Cryogonal (maybe there's a reason it learns Attract?), which doesn't sound too out there.

EDIT:

2 years have passed
plasma is back
N is missing
new forms of kyurem, hihidaruma and crygonal
cheren is a gym leader
new pokemon not sure if new new, or new to Unova
game starts in hiun city

The Hihidaruma Form is said to be Fire/Ice, based off the yukidaruma (snowman). I'd love that if true. Also a Fire/Steel, Togedaruma form too. Cryogonal is Ice/Steel, based off a mirror...explaining how it uses Attract?

Cryogonal inexplicably can learn Attract, the only genderless Pokemon to do that besides Mew (which is due simply to learning all TMs), so I wonder if there's something to that...

That really is weird about Cryogonal, never knew that.
Also if those rumours were true and you started in Castelia city would that mean a new protagonist?

Watch Da Birdie

That really is weird about Cryogonal, never knew that.
Also if those rumours were true and you started in Castelia city would that mean a new protagonist?

There are more rumors added by the guy...

C-gear functions upgrade
same starters with some new secret
new places and towns on the map
main charas are 17
more 3D than BW
next issue: new pokemon

I think the implication may be you play as older Hilda and Hilbert?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Guys, please keep the BW2 discussion in the BW2 thread. This stuff is all rumors and light info now but pretty soon it'll veer into spoiler-territory, and this thread is a safe zone from that.

Delio

I know we arent supposed to post the fakes here but. My god the Cactowl fanart Is adorable :/

o9a0k.png

Also a fake evolution for it.

7e8K5.jpg

K I wont post anymore.

Wichu

Dunno.

The only new things I've heard is apparently one screen-shot shows Eevee and Riolu in a Double Battle against Snivy and Oshawott.

3 of my favourite unevolved Pokémon (plus
Snivy
)? Day one.

This reminds me, I need to make an unevolved team in 5th gen. Are Salac Berry/Light Ball obtainable yet?

MikeMyers

So I'm debating to use Ninetails or Haunter (cant get Gengar) on my ingame Leaf Green team.

So far I have:
Venusaur
Gyarados
Articuno
Rhyhorn
Jolteon

Firestorm

guys
guys
guys

I figured it out.

It's called Black 2 and White 2 because the entire game will be 2v2 battles.

/hopes

3 of my favourite unevolved Pokémon (plus
Snivy
)? Day one.

This reminds me, I need to make an unevolved team in 5th gen. Are Salac Berry/Light Ball obtainable yet?
Light Ball is out, Salac Berry isn't.

So I'm debating to use Ninetails or Haunter (cant get Gengar) on my ingame Leaf Green team.

So far I have:
Venusaur
Gyarados
Articuno
Rhyhorn
Jolteon

Ninetails since you can't get Haunter to maximum Gengar efficiency, plus I prefer Ninetales, well maybe, it's close.
On the other hand Haunter would be more useful, FR/LG is FILLED to the brim with poison pokemon in trainer battles.

Wiseblade

So far I have:
Venusaur
Gyarados
Articuno
Rhyhorn
Jolteon

Go with Haunter. Non-Drought Ninetales sucks and Haunter still packs a punch, even if he is really frail. Plus, Haunter looks like a BAWS.

Watch Da Birdie

Meloetta's Pirouette Form was just revealed on Oha Suta in a Movie 15 trailer.

(I kind of like the looks of the movie :p)

Wiseblade

After fighting Tate & Liza last night in my replay of Emerald, all I have to say is FUCK forced Double Battles. Hated that shit in the Gamecube games, too. I don't mind them when they're optional, but ONLY when they're optional.

Even though I am the (self appointed) founder and champion of the 1v1 defence force, I have to disagree. Tate & Liza are one of the few examples of GF doing anything interesting with Gym Leader battles, so I just can't fault it. Should the whole game be doubles? Hell no, but I wouldn't be completely against one or two doubles Gym Battles.

But this really just feeds into my opinion that Gym battles could do with some shaping up. I would love it if each Gym Leader in BW2 can their own custom ruleset. Doubles, triples and rotation battle Leaders, limiting the number of Pokémon you can use... anything to make working my way through the story less monotonous. You could give the Gym Guide something worthwhile to do and tell the PC the Leader's custom rule the first time they enter the Gym.

Even though I am the (self appointed) founder and champion of the 1v1 defence force, I have to disagree. Tate & Liza are one of the few examples of GF doing anything interesting with Gym Leader battles, so I just can't fault it. Should the whole game be doubles? Hell no, but I wouldn't be completely against one or two doubles Gym Battles.

But this really just feeds into my opinion that Gym battles could do with some shaping up. I would love it if each Gym Leader in BW2 can their own custom ruleset. Doubles, triples and rotation battle Leaders, limiting the number of Pokémon you can use... anything to make working my way through the story less monotonous. You could give the Gym Guide something worthwhile to do and tell the PC the Leader's custom rule the first time they enter the Gym.
I would definitely like to see that. Really make each gym unique in the battling aspect not just in the puzzles needed to get to the leader. (not that I don't enjoy those)

That would be nice for Gym rematches, but You have to remember that people are still making teams over the course of the story. Leveling up guys just for the sake of one Gym battle is not a good thing to make people do.

Gravijah

KEEP ALL BW2 DISCUSSION TO BW2 RELATED THREADS. if you must discuss it here, please spoiler it as a courtesy to those who wish to blackout and still discuss the series.

Magnus

First off, forgive me if this topic is forbidden/taboo/whatever. Just let me know and I'll refrain from discussing it (OP didn't suggest that it was).

About a year ago when I got back into the series with Black and White after not having played since Gen 2/3, I was informed about a site called 151GTS (or something like that) that basically allowed you to re-create Event downloads, complete with the interface within game, etc. It was free of all hacking/editing, and basically just allowed you to nab Event Pokemon/items in your home as if you had attended those events.

Obviously, it's a 'form' of cheating, since you're not actually attending the events and nabbing the Pokemon/items in quite the manner intended, but I personally liken it to getting 'all' the preorder retailer bonus maps for free whenever you want, and definitely not in the same camp as say, piracy.

Anyway, I'm sure most of you are familiar with the practice. My questions are:

1. Site seems to be gone, but ProjectPokemon seems to be offering the same kind of service. Has anyone tried it?

2. Do you guys use the service at all to nab events you missed or couldn't have possibly attended (like, if you came to the series late, or it was just impossible to attend an event a country or more away)?

3. Is discussion of this permitted here?

Personally, I'd only be interested in using it to pick up the Pokémon that I couldn't possibly get otherwise; like, I wouldn't 'manufacture' for myself the Shiny Event Pokemon if I could nab that thing somehow else within my games, or by actually trading for real on the GTS (and who would actually part with their legitimately obtained event pokemon on there). That is, I own White, and I wouldn't use the service to obtain Black-only Pokemon. That's where I'd draw the line for myself, etc.

It just bums me out that people who stop playing for awhile between releases might miss some awesome events or Pokémon; I'm all for the content appearing over time, and there's something cool about the rarity applied to content that's only up for awhile, but I'd like to be able to see it and play it when/if I return to my game months later.

So...yeah. Is this cool to talk about?

Gravijah

First off, forgive me if this topic is forbidden/taboo/whatever. Just let me know and I'll refrain from discussing it (OP didn't suggest that it was).

About a year ago when I got back into the series with Black and White after not having played since Gen 2/3, I was informed about a site called 151GTS (or something like that) that basically allowed you to re-create Event downloads, complete with the interface within game, etc. It was free of all hacking/editing, and basically just allowed you to nab Event Pokemon/items in your home as if you had attended those events.

Obviously, it's a 'form' of cheating, since you're not actually attending the events and nabbing the Pokemon/items in quite the manner intended, but I personally liken it to getting 'all' the preorder retailer bonus maps for free whenever you want, and definitely not in the same camp as say, piracy.

Anyway, I'm sure most of you are familiar with the practice. My questions are:

1. Site seems to be gone, but ProjectPokemon seems to be offering the same kind of service. Has anyone tried it?

2. Do you guys use the service at all to nab events you missed or couldn't have possibly attended (like, if you came to the series late, or it was just impossible to attend an event a country or more away)?

3. Is discussion of this permitted here?

Personally, I'd only be interested in using it to pick up the Pokémon that I couldn't possibly get otherwise; like, I wouldn't 'manufacture' for myself the Shiny Event Pokemon if I could nab that thing somehow else within my games, or by actually trading for real on the GTS (and who would actually part with their legitimately obtained event pokemon on there). That is, I own White, and I wouldn't use the service to obtain Black-only Pokemon. That's where I'd draw the line for myself, etc.

It just bums me out that people who stop playing for awhile between releases might miss some awesome events or Pokémon; I'm all for the content appearing over time, and there's something cool about the rarity applied to content that's only up for awhile, but I'd like to be able to see it and play it when/if I return to my game months later.

So...yeah. Is this cool to talk about?

you're free to talk about it, quite a few of us use it. though obviously some people feel differently.

What's required to use it? My DS also hates WPA, so being able to get event stuff would be nice. Also, does it work for the Gen 4 games?

EDIT: Saw the site, and I don't have any way to be able to use this. Oh well. :(

Magnus

Alright then, good times.

Yeah, I have no desire to even compete online really, lol. Just to catch them all and see all the content (like the Liberty Island thing with Victini upon release). Like, damn, I was thinking about picking it up again tonight or tomorrow and just saw that I missed a giveaway that ended two days ago! lol

What's the tried/tested method everyone's using?

This: http://projectpokemon.org/events/

plus

This: http://projectpokemon.org/gts/

?

And is it pretty safe to use with Black/White now? I remember BW didn't support it a year ago.

Top Bottom