• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Direct announced for February 26th, is 5 minutes long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcia

Banned
Ugh I'm so excited for this. Feels a bit silly, lol. I think it'll probably be Pokemon Z - whatever it actually ends up being called. Definitely possible it could be something else, something special, but I think all the marketing stuff over the past few months and in the anime really points towards a 3rd version Gen 6 game like Emerald/Platinum or maybe slightly more interesting like Black/White 2.

But honestly, any new main-line Pokemon game will make me really happy at this point.

Oh man, I REALLY hope they do this. X and Y's story was a bit bland and I would prefer that they do something new rather than just retelling it with slightly more polish.

After seeing how awesome the Delta episode part of ORAS's post game was, I want to see them try some more stuff in that same vein. It was my favorite part of those games because it was such a breath of fresh air.

J@hranimo

Banned
Heh, just when I was thinking "do we really need anymore Directs until the NX comes out?" here we are.

Not sure why people think "5 mins? That's not long enough for anything new" when it is a WW thing. Sounds like we're spoiled by long directs...looking forward to it regardless.

javac

Pokemon Go is going to get a presence at GDC 2016, wouldn't make sense to do a deep dive here in a 5 min Direct. It gets a mention at best as a reference to the things that they're doing for the Anniversary.

JoeM86

At most Pokemon GO will get a mention in a "We're doing these things throughout the year" thing in the Direct if they have time.

I will be very, very surprised if it's focused on Pokémon GO.

javac

Not quite. It's more of a TPC thing, but Nintendo is involved. They're behind the Pokémon GO+
Obviously you have way more knowledge in regards to Pokemon than myself, but as far as I'm aware Nintendo is providing the legwork in regards to the distribution and the hardware, correct? As I recall, Iwata was one of the minds behind the idea and the two (Nintendo and TPC) have always had a mutual and symbiotic relationship.

Wow, TWO Direct threads today and it finally happened!

Bring it on!
O1gj6Ra.png

I miss you Iwata so much.

JoeM86

Obviously you have way more knowledge in regards to Pokemon than myself, but as far as I'm aware Nintendo is providing the legwork in regards to the distribution and the hardware, correct? As I recall, Iwata was one of the minds behind the idea and the two (Nintendo and TPC) have always had a mutual and symbiotic relationship.

The hardware for sure, yeah :)

We obviously don't know the specifics yet, but it was a TPC lead venture that Ishihara then brought Iwata in on :)

Keyouta

I suspect, like many others, his will be the final Kalos/Gen 6 game, Z or whatever you want to call it.

Nintendo will announce NX at E3 or earlier and it will launch end of 2016. Then gamefreak can do an early 2017 announcement of Gen 7 for NX launching that fall.

NeonZ

ORAS shows it is free movement now, and XY had free movement too...

Also, keeping a tradition as technology advances isn't a sign of incompetence.

There's free movement, but the overall world design still is made following a "tileset" approach that has no reason to exist in a 3d game - and that's actually an even bigger issue in ORAS than in XY, since they often just took the 2d areas to 3d without really attempting to make their geometry more natural at all.

Regiruler

GameFreak would need to be really incompetent to move to a more advanced 3d hardware and still keep XY's tileset based game design which is just legacy from the 2d titles and has no reason to exist in a 3d game. The next generation needs to be an actual revamp again, not just a boosted XY.
It's because movement puzzles require the tileset nature.

Axe the tileset and you kill at least half of the puzzles in the game which have been a feature since G1.

Can we skip Z and go straight to Gen 7

I need my dolphin Pokémon

And before you post Kyogre, you know what I mean

Kyogre's an Orca, they'd be wrong anyways.

It's because movement puzzles require the tileset nature.

Axe the tileset and you kill at least half of the puzzles in the game which have been a feature since G1.

You can still do movement puzzles without the whole game being tileset, I was just playing a dungeon in Tales of Graces with block-sliding that did it just fine.

Neoxon

Can we skip Z and go straight to Gen 7

I need my dolphin Pokémon

And before you post Kyogre, you know what I mean
As stated earlier, I'd rather Gen 7 not be trapped on the 3DS. The thing is kinda already on its way out, no need to prolong the system's life with the NX Platform incoming.

JoeM86

Here's why we're sticking to Gen 6

We have

3 moves coded in, but not available
1 Pokémon coded in, revealed, but not available
1 form coded in, not revealed, not available
4 forms revealed, not coded in
1 whatever the hell Ash-Greninja is.

We're sticking with Gen VI.

Sponge

Banned
I feel like because gen 6 had a low total of new Pokemon, Gamefreak could get away with adding some new ones to Z.

Neiteio

Here's why we're sticking to Gen 6

We have

3 moves coded in, but not available
1 Pokémon coded in, revealed, but not available
1 form coded in, not revealed, not available
4 forms revealed, not coded in
1 whatever the hell Ash-Greninja is.

We're sticking with Gen VI.
Well if that's the case, we need tons of Mega Evos, and all of them are dolphins

Fireblend

Banned
Yeah, a big farewell Gen VI game sounds about right. I'm super excited since I skipped ORAS and I put like 120+ hours into X/Y, so I'm more than ready to get my hands on a new entry. I don't even mind if they just reuse the X/Y map, I'll be there day 1 regardless.

Also, 3D on all the time, pls.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
As stated earlier, I'd rather Gen 7 not be trapped on the 3DS. The thing is kinda already on its way out, no need to prolong the system's life with the NX Platform incoming.

Z gonna be trapped on the 3ds too.

Honestly I'd rather them just skip this shit all together if it means we can get an NX Pokemon that much sooner.

I think I'd rather have an X2/Y2 than a Pokemon Z.

Unless the story's going to be as filler-tier as Black2/White2's was.

I could only stand hearing about some guy's little sister's Poochyena so much before I started to feel like the game was insulting my intelligence.

Good thing it wasn't a Poochyena in that BW2, it was a purrloin ;)

I feel like because gen 6 had a low total of new Pokemon, Gamefreak could get away with adding some new ones to Z.
No, I love the low amount Kalos had. Had a lot more quality over quantity. Now if Z did introduce more Pokemon, hopefully most of them are as good as the new Pokemon in Kalos.

Hmm, it'll be a mystery what could be in it. I guess they could reveal Pokemon Z, or Pokemon XZ and YZ. It could also just be trailers of Pokken and RGBY + new Detective Pikachu trailer too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom