• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon GO: fastest game ever to No. 1 on the mobile revenue charts; 5M on iOS

wapplew

Nice.

Hopefully this will inspire Nintendo to custom-make more traditional IPs for mobile.

Not talking Mario with virtual D-Pad, but more intelligent integration with natural fits like Fire Emblem, Pikmin, Mario RPG, etc.

No need to worry about that. Nintendo know what kind of game fit with what kind of input method, in fact, they are master of it.

DrWong

Well, if that info is correct, TPC get the same 30% and Nintendo gets 10% so that's already happening. :p
Look at this like that:

- 10% for Nintendo because copyrights on all the pokemon
- 30% for Google
- 30% for TPC
- 30% for Niantic

BUT, TPC redistribute its revenue between its 3 shareholders, so roughly 10% of the TPC 30% will go into Nintendo's pocket.
BUT, Nintendo has also shares in the others TPC owners, so they'll get back another part of the money.
BUT, Nintendo invested in Niantic alongside Google so they also recoup some profits here.
PLUS, Nintendo will do big cash on the pokego plus accessory.

I'd say they're taking the biggest part of the pie.

spekkeh

Banned
2525134-gj4tz.gif

foxbeldin

Meanwhile in Europe

635953966309397066-2012178221_QkXKE7L.gif

I wonder what will happen now that Nintendo realizes fully how much money lies in the mobile market.

Lucc

I'm happy for Nintendo. The mobile market is their future. I hope they retreat from their home console branch, only develop games as a third party and focus on 3DS and mobile phone.

I'm happy for Nintendo. The mobile market is their future. I hope they retreat from their home console branch, only develop games as a third party and focus on 3DS and mobile phone.
If anything they would replace dedicated handheld with phones and keep a home console.

Just like that and Nintendo makes a big splash on the mobile market. Time for Nintendo to embrace Steam as well and make their own PC peripherals.

R00bot

Look at this like that:

- 30% for Google
- 30% for TPC
- 30% for Niantic

BUT, TPC redistribute its revenue between its 3 shareholders, so roughly 10% of the TPC 30% will go into Nintendo's pocket.
BUT, Nintendo has also shares in the others TPC owners, so they'll get back another part of the money.
BUT, Nintendo invested in Niantic alongside Google so they also recoup some profits here.

Exactly this. People saying Nintendo only get 10% are insane, it's probably more like 40 to 50 percent.

Lol PC gamers are so thirsty for that Nintendo goodness.

Gonna be honest, I'm not on the "NINTENDO GO THIRD PARTY" train that some GAFers around here seem to be on, but if their games did come to Steam, that'd be pretty rad.

Won't happen though.

The mobile market is likely a very big part of their future, yes.

It is not the only part of their future.

Whether Nintendo continues to create their own dedicated hardware or eventually transitions to a software-only company (if this happens, it's a long way off), they're not going to stop creating traditional gaming experiences that are played with a controller.

wrowa

Where are these percentages coming from anyway? I have a hard time believing that Niantic was in a strong enough position to request a share equal to Pokemon's
when the deal was signed.

DrWong

Where are these percentages coming from anyway? I have a hard time believing that Niantic was in a strong enough position to request a share equal to Pokemon's
Well, if Nintendo did secure at least a third of the shares of Niantic, it could be.

Business

Glad it works well for Nintendo. I couldn't care less about this game but hopefully this will help paying for the stuff I do care.

fhqwhgads

Everyone gonna be posting about when Nintendo goes all mobile/third party but you all need to be asking the important questions like when are we going to see Kirby Spinoffs and Mario puzzle games on mobile.

I'd kill for a Kirby Tilt n Tumble/Mario and Wario sequel on mobile.

Apathy

Question from someone that isn't playing, but how are they making money? Limited pokeballs that you can buy more?

Look at this like that:

- 30% for Google
- 30% for TPC
- 30% for Niantic

Shhh, you are ruining the Nintendo is doomed again "even with Pokemon GO success", Let the haters believe that...

Look at this like that:

- 30% for Google
- 30% for TPC
- 30% for Niantic

This should be in the OP.

Question from someone that isn't playing, but how are they making money? Limited pokeballs that you can buy more?
I don't have this game installed. How does it make money? Freemium model? Play to win? Cosmetics only? Other? #noob
You can buy premium currency ranging from .99 to 99.99 USD, which lets you buy items you normally use ingame - Poke Balls for catching, Incense to lure mons to a location, Lucky Eggs for doubling XP for a time, Lure Modules which act as Incense that works for everyone at a landmark, extra Incubators for hatching eggs, and storage upgrades for your bag and pokemon storage.

That said, you can't buy every item. Also, if you live near or can travel to a place with landmarks, you can get tons of Poke Balls and other items for free every few minutes. You also have one unlimited use incubator so it isn't strictly necessary to buy more, unless you wanted to hatch multiple eggs at the same time. As for storage, you have enough space for 250 mons and 350 items, so you won't feel the squeeze immediately.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Will be interesting to see what happens with mainline Pokemon sales this year. This is priceless advertising for Nintendo and especially the Pokemon brand. Its beyond priceless... they're being paid for it.

Shiggy

An estimate by Macquarie Capital Securities. I very much doubt it's true. These estimates and forecasts are pretty often rather baseless.

Hyun Sai

First step, infiltrate mobile, reach the youngsters, second step, make them buy the home console.

Nintendo grand plan for the next generations is beginning.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
You mean the biggest IP in Gaming is doing gangbusters on the largest platform at the price of free?

I'm shocked.

First step, infiltrate mobile, reach the youngsters, second step, make them buy the home console.

Nintendo grand plan for the next generations is beginning.

If that's their plan they're doing a poor job of it. You'd think there would be a giant red "NINTENDO" logo when you boot up the game for brand awareness, but that's not the case whatsoever.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Believe me, in Europe word has already spread like wildfire. People are grabbing this game from other regions through iTunes or just grabbing the .apk online.

I think this game is only going to get bigger. If Niantic keeps it updated with new functionality like proximity trading and battling, I can see people playing this for a long, long time.

spekkeh

Banned
So an AR handheld? Not sure how they could have designed the NX around GO before GO was a success or a thing.
Nintendo has been moving towards context aware games for some time now. 3DS and Wii U were both pushed with AR mini games, and poke walkers and Street pass were also natural extensions of this. They lacked the know-how or possibility probably to hook it into Google maps APIs, but with the rumor of an Android connection, I'm 99.9% sure Pokemon Go is a taste of what NX is going to be. It makes so much sense for them to push the indoor/outdoor healthy gaming QoL platform.

Top Bottom