• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

Oxx

Two of my last five 10km eggs have been Dratini with 32 candy each.

They're giving them out like... err... candy.

border

I mean, you must walk a lot if 'an extra 6-7 hatches a week' is minor to you. I'd hatch 1-2 a week from my infinite incubator so the extras I get from gym coins are amazing to me.

I regard it as minor just because you so rarely get anything of use out of eggs, not because I'm hatching dozens of eggs every week. Even during the Easter Egg event most of the hatches were junk. I usually don't engage with the Incubation system beyond what gold I generate -- those kinds of off-putting mystery lootbox systems are gross when driven by microtransactions.

The issue of dust vs gold is more easily illuminated as an issue of time versus money:

--if you hold down 5-10 gyms, you will net 17,500-35,000 dust in a week. This is roughly equivalent to catching 175-350 Pokemon. How much time does it take to catch that many pokemon? Probably something on the order of a couple hours per day, 10-14 hours per week. And it's all the most unpleasant grind-driven gameplay. I have neither the time nor the will to catch that many pokemon. You are right that you can get Stardust from other things, but getting that much Stardust from other activities would be the height of monotony.

--if you hold down 5-10 gyms, you will net 350-700 gold coins per week. This is roughly equivalent to $3.50-$7. How long does it take to a person earn $7? 1 hour, assuming you are make minimum wage.

Unless your time is less valuable than minimum wage, the dust is the far better freebie. If someone doesn't play frequently enough to have that many contenders that they need dust to upgrade, I understand the preference for gold though.

To return to my original point, it's kind of a bummer that the dust supply will get cut off because probably someone at Niantic thinks they're giving away too much Gold. I'm probably going to stop upgrading and start stockpiling dust, until I can get a sense of how stable gyms will be after the rework.

But.... dazzling gleam is awful? My ZH/HB Blissey takes down pokemon twice as fast as my DG Blissey, and the DG one even has better overall stats.

You put them in gyms.

Hyper Beam is hilariously easy to dodge.

DG comes out fast, can hit twice in succession, and is super effective against Machamp.

Why the fuck are you attacking with a Blissey?

Because it can burn through 4 or 5 pokemon before I need to switch without to much trouble? Limited stops in my area, so potion conservation is kinda important. In the end, my attacker lineup is blissey, executor with SB, and Dragonite with wing and beam. I've never needed more than those three even tackling a 10 tier gym.

gutshot

I regard it as minor just because you so rarely get anything of use out of eggs, not because I'm hatching dozens of eggs every week. Even during the Easter Egg event most of the hatches were junk. I usually don't engage with the Incubation system beyond what gold I generate -- those kinds of off-putting mystery lootbox systems are gross when driven by microtransactions.

The issue of dust vs gold is more easily illuminated as an issue of time versus money:

--if you hold down 5-10 gyms, you will net 17,500-35,000 dust in a week. This is roughly equivalent to catching 175-350 Pokemon. How much time does it take to catch that many pokemon? Probably something on the order of a couple hours per day, 10-14 hours per week. And it's all the most unpleasant grind-driven gameplay. I have neither the time nor the will to catch that many pokemon. You are right that you can get Stardust from other things, but getting that much Stardust from other activities would be the height of monotony.

--if you hold down 5-10 gyms, you will net 350-700 gold coins per week. This is roughly equivalent to $3.50-$7. How long does it take to a person earn $7? 1 hour, assuming you are make minimum wage.

Unless your time is less valuable than minimum wage, the dust is the far better freebie. If someone doesn't play frequently enough to have that many contenders that they need dust to upgrade, I understand the preference for gold though.

To return to my original point, it's kind of a bummer that the dust supply will get cut off because probably someone at Niantic thinks they're giving away too much Gold. I'm probably going to stop upgrading and start stockpiling dust, until I can get a sense of how stable gyms will be after the rework.

This assessment assumes that you are easily holding down 10 gyms a day with little to no time needed having to reclaim lost gyms. I don't think that is the norm. If it is for you, you are one of the lucky ones.

I think it really boils down to how you want to play the game. Personally, I have no problem catching 50+ Pokemon a day. I catch everything I see because, why not? It is free dust and XP and candy for mass evolves. But that's just how I play the game and you are free to play the game how you see fit. But I do think you are likely in the minority if you are relying on gyms to supply your Stardust.

So I got enough Charmander to evolve my 80% Charmeleon, but not enough for the 90% Charmander. We'll see if I get a few more before my next EVO spree.

93 Nidoran-F candy as well, so close.

No Dragonite at that supposed nest which was a bummer, but there was a level 9 gym that I trained and dropped a Pokémon in. Still there after two days which is dope.

I also forgot I still need Garydos. Dangit.

HiResDes

Has the new gym rework already been implemented last night I was trying to level up a fellow to gym from 9 to 10 when after defeating an onslaught of 2700/2800 Vaporeon I was faced with a 2550 Exeggutor that completely caught me off guard and I hadn't seen. Like it was almost as if the gym ladder was constructed different now.

Has the new gym rework already been implemented last night I was trying to level up a fellow to gym from 9 to 10 when after defeating an onslaught of 2700/2800 Vaporeon I was faced with a 2550 Exeggutor that completely caught me off guard and I hadn't seen. Like it was almost as if the gym ladder was constructed different now.
i'm going to write this off as a misunderstanding until further notice

don't git hype, don't git hype

this was last night, so certainly if they made those changes, we would be hearing a LOT about them by now

border

This assessment assumes that you are easily holding down 10 gyms a day with little to no time needed having to reclaim lost gyms. I don't think that is the norm. If it is for you, you are one of the lucky ones.

Is it really hard for most players to maintain even 5 regular gyms? I live near downtown in a pretty well-populated city, and only gyms in the most heavily trafficked parks have regular turnover. Maybe the player base has died. Maybe casual players are shut out of gyms. Maybe the active players have figured out that it's better to maintain their own strongholds than try to tear down opposing teams' gyms. Any Level 10 gym with 2500+ CP Pokemon will stay standing for quite some time. Gyms in sleepy suburbs or rough neighborhoods stand indefinitely. I'm actually surprised that Niantic has allowed gyms to be this stagnant for this long, but perhaps in the rest of the country gym stagnation is more limited.

I think it really boils down to how you want to play the game. Personally, I have no problem catching 50+ Pokemon a day. I catch everything I see because, why not? It is free dust and XP and candy for mass evolves. But that's just how I play the game and you are free to play the game how you see fit. But I do think you are likely in the minority if you are relying on gyms to supply your Stardust.

Going out to just catch any old garbage just seems really monotonous to me. Trash candy is useless since it only helps you evolve trash. XP becomes a very minor concern once you're past level 25-27. Dust is irrelevant because the gyms provide more on a daily basis than I could ever hope or want to earn in my spare time. I just can't bring myself to spend an hour catching Venonats and Spinoraks and Rattatas. Perhaps I'm in the minority since most of my revenue comes from gyms, but I imagine there aren't that many people catching dozens of Pokemon everyday either.

Oxx

Even the gym on top of the mountain here turns over regularly.

If I make the effort to hike to the top, of course I'm going to take it down no matter how high level it is.

Firemind

Yeah even gyms in the middle of nowhere go down by organized raids or spoofing trolls once in a while. Doesn't matter what's in it. Maybe you're lucky and the factions made a truce, which is still bad since no one else can get inside the gyms except the lowlifes with dual accounts. I'd rather have the occassional turnover than complete stagnation.

Is it really hard for most players to maintain even 5 regular gyms? I live near downtown in a pretty well-populated city, and only gyms in the most heavily trafficked parks have regular turnover. Maybe the player base has died. Maybe casual players are shut out of gyms. Maybe the active players have figured out that it's better to maintain their own strongholds than try to tear down opposing teams' gyms. Any Level 10 gym with 2500+ CP Pokemon will stay standing for quite some time. Gyms in sleepy suburbs or rough neighborhoods stand indefinitely. I'm actually surprised that Niantic has allowed gyms to be this stagnant for this long, but perhaps in the rest of the country gym stagnation is more limited.

There's two near my house that are valor-locked. Every time they get taken down we build them back up near-instantly (they get taken down maybe once a month?).
Then there's an area near the city centre that's valor dominated, I've managed to get into 2 when they were taken down a couple levels.

Other than those ones though I generally get kicked out of gyms within 24 hours, sometimes they might last 2-3 days.

I hatched another amazing Snorlax, but I keep getting bottom-tier move-sets.

Life isn't fair.

Did you really just complain about hatching an amazing IV snorlax in this thread? Get out of here!!!

Meanwhile I hatched yet another Gligar. What a great start into the day!

I haven't acquired a 10k egg in nearly two weeks now. Endless sea of 5ks.
And I'm clearing out 1/2 eggs a day a least.

Never going to get a damn Mareep.

just did an 8 10k egg hatch

Rw9HFdR.png

so the larvitar and dratini were able to change up my top pokemon just a little

I need more dratini and larvitar :/

Oxx

I feel like I have had a 10k egg every day recently.

But it's still around 50:50 if it's going to be anything worthwhile.

GulAtiCa

I've now walked my Chansey 100km. Enough to get my Blissey to 2585 cp. Will need about another 100km to get it to where I'd like it to be.

Decided to go ahead and place my 6 10k eggs into incubators. hopefully another Larvitar hatches. But def need more Mareeps (Need 2 more hatchs I think)

Qwark

I've now walked my Chansey 100km. Enough to get my Blissey to 2585 cp. Will need about another 100km to get it to where I'd like it to be.

Decided to go ahead and place my 6 10k eggs into incubators. hopefully another Larvitar hatches. But def need more Mareeps (Need 2 more hatchs I think)

Question, why wait to hatch your 10k's, why not hatch as you get them? Is it just the thrill of hatching a bunch at once, or is there some other strategy? Unless you're using a lucky egg at hatch time, but it can't be that much extra exp, can it?

GulAtiCa

Just the thrill, and I'm in no hurry anymore to hatch them right away since already have a almost fully leveled up Tyranitar.

Since I'm only hatching at 6 count, instead of waiting till 7 or more, it also doesn't truly matter as much in long term since this won't slow me down any. I try to keep about 3 eggs going at any time (I do well enough in gyms that I can do this weekly).

Prob unlikely I'll ever truly try to do a full 9 10k eggs again. I kinda was tempted to do it now, but decided to give up and hatch 6 without interfering my my egg gatherings. This is the first time since December I've even done this, usually I hatch them right away.

Firemind

Question, why wait to hatch your 10k's, why not hatch as you get them? Is it just the thrill of hatching a bunch at once, or is there some other strategy? Unless you're using a lucky egg at hatch time, but it can't be that much extra exp, can it?
Saving coins in case of an event. I just use the infinite incubator to hatch 2kms and 5kms nowadays. There's literally garbage in those eggs.

Starting to despair. There's pretty much no variation on Pokemon on my regular daily commute, and when I take trips all I see is the same common shit everywhere. I guess Sudowoodu has become more common.

Still no Cyndaquil in the wild, no Togepi at all. Slugma, Houndour and Mareep have one each so far. One Pineco. No Larvitar. Even if I can walk some of those, it will take forever. The easter event is the last time I made any real progress on the dex. Currently walking a Machop (since those almost never show up either and I need 8 more) and then I'll get to Dratini. On the plus side, after those it's just Aerodactyl missing from Gen 1.

robochimp

I'm currently trying to do 9 10k eggs, I'm at 7 right now, no matter how many I end up with I'll start incubating on Saturday. Hatching one Mantine is too anticlimactic, I want 9 all at once!

gutshot

New Rock-type Pokemon event announced:

Trainers,

Back in December, we collectively walked past the equivalent distance of Earth to Pluto and now, we're on a journey past the edge of the solar system! As of May 11, the Pokémon GO community has traveled more than 15.8 billion kilometers, and more adventures still await...

Pokémon GO was developed for people to easily experience classic Pokémon gameplay on their mobile device and catch Pokémon in the real world. As a result, every day, people around the globe go outside, explore the world around them, make some new memories, and get some exercise along the way. We'd love to honor the memories created so far, and our collective journey yet to come, with the Pokémon GO Adventure Week celebration from 1:00 P.M. PDT on May 18 to 1:00 P.M. PDT on May 25, 2017.

To help you stock up for your upcoming adventure, more items will be awarded from every PokéStop you visit, and Poké Balls will be 50% off in the in-game shop. Your Buddy Pokémon is also in the adventuring spirit and will find Candies four times as fast for the duration of the celebration. Whether you're exploring your neighborhood or an exotic new location, make sure to watch for Rock-type Pokémon such as Omanyte, Kabuto, and their Evolutions. Keep an eye out—maybe you'll even spot Aerodactyl!

Last but not least, you'll notice an all-new avatar item has been added to your wardrobe—the Explorer's Hat! Once Adventure Week begins, grab your new hat and head out on your journey.

We're excited to see where Pokémon GO takes you this week. Document your journey with the Pokémon GO AR camera, post your photos on social media using #PokemonGO, and we'll share some of our favorites on the new Pokémon GO Instagram channel! As you embark on your adventures, remember to always be alert and aware of your surroundings when playing Pokémon GO and be respectful of the communities and locations in which you play.

—The Pokémon GO team

http://pokemongolive.com/en/post/adventureweek2017

Mknzy

4 times rate will be awesome for me. I'm finally only 31 candy away from my first Dragonite, hopefully this will help me finish it off.

Top Bottom