• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT| As in "Go Outside"

ReaperXL7

Man, I see some silhouettes in the sun, and I mix them up with other Pokémon from future gens.
Then I get bummed when what I thought was a Milotic is actually a Magikarp.

Wonder how long it'll take for more Pokémon. Hopefully it's not like a yearly update, but I have a feeling they're gonna take their time.

Potential benefit of the game being so popular is that the devs should be far more inclined to get on updates to the app quickly in order to maintain. I have no previous experience with Niantic though so who knows what their plans or track record is.

Have you checked a local gym?

Yeah, I got a Cubone. No MaChamp though :(

Tried going to a psychic to find an abra also but just found a Koffing

Pachimari

Do they have any plans adding social features to this game? Like the possibility of adding friends, maybe exchange Pokémon or even fight friends?

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Nope. All features of the game only work when the app is open and in the forefront.
When the wrist band comes out later, that'll fix your problem.

Without background notifications I'm likely to buy that thing, just stick It in my back pocket or something...

WPS

That actually breaks the game for me. The screen becomes unresponsive once the app wakes it up.

I've found that. Not consistently, but on 3 occasions this morning, the app has refused to acknowledge any screen presses following some combination of the phone turning off and Go's sleep mode, and I've had to restart.

It was a right pain.

JoeM86

Nope. All features of the game only work when the app is open and in the forefront.
When the wrist band comes out later, that'll fix your problem.

But, Pokémon GO Plus will only vibrate when you're near a PokéStop or by a Pokémon that you have already captured. For gyms and new stuff, you have to have the app out.

Neoxon

So when can we expect more Pokémon to get added? I apologize if I asked this already, but it's been a few pages.

Moff

Do they have any plans adding social features to this game? Like the possibility of adding friends, maybe exchange Pokémon or even fight friends?

do you only fight AI at the moment?
that's a shame
just downloaded the APK and I think this is a great concept. and I never really played pokemon before.

Busaiku

That actually breaks the game for me. The screen becomes unresponsive once the app wakes it up.
It still vibrates when you encounter a Pokémon.
If it becomes unresponsive, close the app (don't just exit it), and login again.
The Pokémon will still be there.

JustinBB7

I have an old samsung s3, and no internet outside. (I have prepaid, I never use my phone outside much, opening facebook costs like 1 euro on that) am I fucked to play this?

Shoyz

I saved up 50 eevee candies last time I did a Lucky Egg evolution batch. I wanted a Vaporeon or a Jolteon, not a Flareon was all I asked.
I got two Flareons.

Today, I spent a 3 hour walk fighting their server, catching almost nothing but managing to hit 25 Eevee candy, to finally evolve the 357CP Eevee I'd been saving.

For a third Flareon, jesus christ. Everybody around here is using Blastoise.

Seth

So if I use a lure module, do I need to stay by it for it to work? I have two stops that are the perfect distance apart to walk between and keep getting the items. Was thinking of putting a lure in both and walk between them. Would that be a good idea?

Haines

Banned
Why don't you try it for yourself? It's free and all it takes is a few steps out the door to try it out.

I think it's a really novel and cool idea, the lures at Pokestops really bring people together in the real world and its a cool experience meeting strangers who are also Pokemon fans.

I do think Nintendo was a little caught off guard at the level of response to this thing and probably should have invested some more resources in features and server capacity. But I'm sure it's coming eventually.

Not available in Canada yet.

More asking for the wife but she has 2 very small children so not sure downloading this game is a good idea when it does come out. Being distracted by looking at your phone all the time sounds like a bad idea with kids.

Ragnaroz

If you haven't already try turning off AR, it's been much easier catching Pokemon with it off for me.

Has anyone found a Machop, Machoke or Machamp? They are probably not in any specific type of place but thought I'd see where someone else has caught one.
I don't have a gyro so AR is always off. It was just incredibly weird, for some reason Ninetales was so far away from me, it was incredibly hard to not underthrow the ball. And them getting a curve after some distance didn't help either. I managed to hit it maybe 10 out of 50 times and one of those was even a great hit with a Razz Berry but it just got out of the ball every single time. If a Ninetales is this hard to catch, I can imagine legendaries being nearly impossible without a Master ball.

Chaos17

#iimersion increase

Businesses are already taking sides.
OzOFkZh.jpg
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4s25wd/businesses_are_already_taking_sides/

Anion

Can we change our teams somehow? Or maybe in a future update?

Cause I went Valor and all my friends went Mystic lmao

When I started playing this game on launch day I was visiting a friend in another state. While I was there we were seeing Pokemon from the comfort of the apartment like every five minutes. But now that I'm back at my place I'm not seeing any Pokemon. They are all in directions that would require me to cut behind houses into nearby neighborhoods. Like, I don't mind going out since there's a shop on my jogging trail, but I'd also like to be able to pull up my phone every once in a while at home and catch a few.

I remember reading on launch day about how the game creates a starter zone around the area where you first started playing. Did I screw myself by playing at my friend's house? My friend is constantly talking about how so many cool Pokemon are showing up.

Wollan

I took my usual 10km/1hour jogging route and this game stretched it to 2 hours.
It ended being a *very* fruitful trip:

This badass had a red capture ring and it required 4x direct/Great throws in a row to actually capture it. I found it on a desolate hilltop which seemed appropriate.

Hitmonchan basically helped me take 3x Gyms on the road (every single attack is actually six or so punches). Too bad I couldn't claim two of them though due to the 1hp bug + a new 'lock out' bug where after x amount of 1hp bug-outs it refuses to start matches properly on retries...

One surprise was that I found one desolate/neutral gym so I just had to plant a Pokémon there.
Overall I fought and won 4x gyms but only manage to capture 1x due to the buggy software + 1 neutral capture.

I also got 2x Dratini!

Otherwise I got a bunch of medium-rare. Goldeen (CP 91) was surprisingly useful in the Gym fights I encountered.

Another bug: Egg/walking-tracking is very flaky. 5km or so of my trip barely registered as 1km due to foresty areas with likely weak GPS/4G.

MicH

4.5 km walk home registered as 2.39 in Go :( Needed that distance to hatch this egg!

Did battle a year gym (I'm blue) and added my 300 CP Electabuzz to it as the third Pokemon. Also came across a different blue gym the was ridiculous. 200 CP Raticate, 300 CP Pidgeotto and a 500 CP Pidgeotto!

Makonero

I've found that. Not consistently, but on 3 occasions this morning, the app has refused to acknowledge any screen presses following some combination of the phone turning off and Go's sleep mode, and I've had to restart.

It was a right pain.

It's the battery saver. Once I turned it off, that glitch went away.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
If you are getting wrong distance, turn off power saver in Android settings. I had this issue with Sports Tracker, which did not work properly with power saver mode.

trugs26

I have an old samsung s3, and no internet outside. (I have prepaid, I never use my phone outside much, opening facebook costs like 1 euro on that) am I fucked to play this?

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 with Android 4.3. It can't update to a newer version. Because of that, I actually cannot play Pokemon Go. I even tried manually installing it. It won't work. I think it's because Pokemon Go requires Android 4.4 at a minimum.

So what I did was that I installed a custom ROM. Basically replacing the OS on the phone. I replaced it with CyanogenMod, which has Android 6.0.1. And now Pokemon Go works (I still had to install the APK manually).

But regarding your second point, this requires internet access while you walk out and about. So that is necessary.

tamminen

Theres a graveyard on my way to work and theres a bunch of Ghastlys around. Is this stuff intended? Man this is crazy. Theres also a gym on the same route and it seems untouched, prolly due the game not being available officially yet. Cant wait to hit 5.

I never expected to like this game but suddenly I feel like going out more often which I rarely do on my free time. The nostalgia kicks in pretty hard.

You can see when others are battling a gym?

I actually haven't gotten to choose a team yet.
You can see when other people take over a gym at least. It updates with the new Pokemon you have to battle to take it over and the trainers name, avatar, and level are listed on the same screen as the Pokemon you have to battle.

I think there might also be an animation similar to a cartoonish dust cloud kicking up if someone is battling a gym.

Pachimari

That's cool!

Btw, if I'm playing the US app on my iPad Pro, can I continue my progress if I side load the apk on my Android phone and continues playing on there?

Red

What's up with the step tracking? I placed two eggs in incubators at the same time, but one shows 3.6km walked and the other one 2.8.

Top Bottom