• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT| As in "Go Outside"

trugs26

So how exactly do you zero in on pokeMon?

You know they are within a certain amount of footprints, but what direction?

You just have to feel it out. For example, if you walk and it goes from 2 foot print to 3, then you're going the wrong way. You can also select a Pokemon and specifically track it. It will have rings glowing around it when you're heading in the right direction.

Chaos17

I wonder if in France buisiness will join the fun too.

PxD2y7D.jpg
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4s33vq/a_local_arboretum_in_my_state_is_cashing_in_on/

haendeul

I tried to track down a Butterfree, Beedrill and a Clefairy this morning with no luck. I tried to walk in the pulsating directions, but I never got any closer. My guess is that rarer Pokemon have a very small spot you have to find before it changes to 2 and 1 steps.

cacildo

Should i play it if its not available in my country?

Would i miss any features this way?

And where is the "go nuts" gaf link for the APK from the first thread?

dan2026

You just have to feel it out. For example, if you walk and it goes from 2 foot print to 3, then you're going the wrong way. You can also select a Pokemon and specifically track it. It will have rings glowing around it when you're heading in the right direction.
When you say rings glowing round it do you mean round the little icon in the corner?

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
When you want to go out and catch some Pokemon but you forgot to charge your phone overnight :(

Cmagus

How much data does this game use roughly per hour let's say? I don't have data on my plan but I may add some when it comes out here but if it uses a ton it may not be worth it.

so,you only have one incubator and you have to buy the others?

I think you can find them/get them from leveling up. I noticed I had a second one limited to 3 uses earlier and I've not bought anything.

How much data does this game use roughly per hour let's say? I don't have data on my plan but I may add some when it comes out here but if it uses a ton it may not be worth it.

Mine has used 25MB of data over around 3 or 4 hours of playing it.

Ragnaroz

I tried to track down a Butterfree, Beedrill and a Clefairy this morning with no luck. I tried to walk in the pulsating directions, but I never got any closer. My guess is that rarer Pokemon have a very small spot you have to find before it changes to 2 and 1 steps.
That pulsating does nothing. What you have to do is compare the location of the Pokemon you want with the others in the area. As you're getting closer to it it will start moving to the top left of the nearby list.

So with an Insence active you can just chill out in one place waiting for pokemons to come to you? Or is it still better to walk with it active?

Cerity

Over the last 4 days, it's logged 68MB on my phone. That's with using it for a good 2-3+ hours outside each day. My usage is also probably a lot higher as my time out has been mostly planned trips ways away from home or work. So a lot of map data to load for me.

Took back my nearest Gym and caught a Venomoth while walking to grab a bagel. Felt good.

However, I think Team Valor tried to send an assassin after me once I'd taken it over. Was able to deal with him though.

OoRM5HX.png

Tall4Life

My older brother lives in Mountain View, CA, and there are a fuckton of pokestops and gyms with lures on all the damn time. I'm insanely jealous.

I'm sure the Silicon Valley area could sustain this game by itself.

I was holding a gym and collected 10 coins and 500 stardust.

Are the benefits greater if I were holding 2 gyms at the time of collecting?

Had some spare time this evening and checked my data plan if I can download this without being throttled. Yep indeed, 100mb left (after downloading) . So I downloaded it and everything was ok...

...until I entered this very thread. Thanks to the reaction gifs and all this I got my data used up in only one or two pages here lol. Now I'm at 64kb for the rest of the month.

Thanks GAF

So with an Insence active you can just chill out in one place waiting for pokemons to come to you? Or is it still better to walk with it active?

The Incense will more or less just force spawn a Pokemon to your location once every five mins or so. If you were to go out walking with it active, you'd still encounter other Pokemon along the way as normal in addition to the forced spawns.

I was holding a gym and collected 10 coins and 500 stardust.

Are the benefits greater if I were holding 2 gyms at the time of collecting?

Yeah, holding multiple Gyms gives you more rewards.

haendeul

That pulsating does nothing. What you have to do is compare the location of the Pokemon you want with the others in the area. As you're getting closer to it it will start moving to the top left of the nearby list.

The Clefairy would stick to the upper left in like a 2 km diameter until I gave up. I was riding my bicycle slowly with phone I'm hand so I'd see if I got any closer.

Biske

These steps are bugging the he'll out of me. Anyone know about how many feet is one step?
Rarer pokemon seem to come out late at night.

In my experience, it all means nothing. Haha I'm not sure if its the oft talked about server buggyness or what

But I try and follow the steps, some pokemon just always stay at three, some wittle down to one, never show up and disappear or go back to 3 some how.

What's the deal with people playing at 2am-3am?
It's crazy! I mean, it's cool that people are going out late playing Pokemon but it also kind of seems dangerous.

Any word on weight and height actually correlating to cp?
Weight, Height, Trainer Level and species all alter the CP level. I don't think we'd ever be able to get exact amounts but they all influence what it is from a base CP level.

EDIT: Ah, just noticed on the google play store the game is listed with 1,000,000-5,000,000 downloads. It's now the #1 Free App, #1 in Free Games, and #2 in Top Grossing, just behind Game of War.

Reynx

The Incense will more or less just force spawn a Pokemon to your location once every five mins or so. If you were to go out walking with it active, you'd still encounter other Pokemon along the way as normal in addition to the forced spawns.

Yeah, holding multiple Gyms gives you more rewards.

How do you collect the rewards? Do you have to go back to the gym or does it just pop up when you've held the gym for long enough?

lewisgone

Live in the UK and having trouble creating a US iTunes account. It doesn't flag up any section as being incorrect, just says it can't do it. Won't give a reason...anyone else had a similar issue? I'm using a legit email.

Before I spend effort figuring this out is it worth my time? If I download the app with the US account, can I use it and update it once I sign into my UK account again? Will microtransactions work? Will my save data transfer from a US version of the app to a UK version?

Ahhh I just want it to be released over here. I know why they won't but it looks like a lot of fun.

Raxious

Think I'll go join Team Valor, the Gym across my house is Valor,so it's an easy way for me to store Pokémon there ;)

Is it me or do most people join Valor?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Live in the UK and having trouble creating a US iTunes account. It doesn't flag up any section as being incorrect, just says it can't do it. Won't give a reason...anyone else had a similar issue? I'm using a legit email.

Before I spend effort figuring this out is it worth my time? If I download the app with the US account, can I use it and update it once I sign into my UK account again? Will microtransactions work? Will my save data transfer from a US version of the app to a UK version?

Ahhh I just want it to be released over here. I know why they won't but it looks like a lot of fun.

Create a australian account. It takes like 2 minutes. Everything is saved to your google account anyway so it doesn't really matter where you get the app from.

https://appleid.apple.com/

Par Score

I'm starting to think area density plays a huge factor. I live outside of the city in Dublin, with only little to no locations (Spots & Gyms) nearby, and I don't get any Pokemon while in the house. Though when I'm in the city, with a large volume of locations nearby, I'll randomly get something every 10 - 15 minutes without moving, incense or lures.

Yes, and it's totally ass backwards.

Places with lots of Pokestops and Gyms should have fuck all Pokemon, and places with few or no Pokestops and Gyms should have loads of Pokemon (and the rarest).

As it is, city-folk get the best of both worlds, and anyone out in the boonies is fucked.

MNC

Fucking 1HP bug :(

How do you collect from Gyms you hold? Do you just wait? Or do you have to actually visit them?

Fucking 1HP bug :(

How do you collect from Gyms you hold? Do you just wait? Or do you have to actually visit them?

Go to the shop and hit the shield in the top right. You can get them once every 20 hours, as long as you either control a gym or have a Pokemon there.

If that Pokemon dies I found you get nothing and can't put it on there again...I dunno how long it takes until you can put one back there.

Top Bottom