• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT| As in "Go Outside"

Busaiku

This is the first Pokemon software property I can think of that seems absent any Nintendo branding whatsoever (I suppose the videogames are all at least published by Nintendo)

As a result it's interesting how the Pokémon brand is still associated with Nintendo as opposed to The Pokemon Company, even sending NTDOY soaring.

Does anyone know what percentage of The Pokemon Company is even owned by Nintendo? Details online about whether Nintendo also owns positions in Game Freak (and what about Creatures?) are really hard to come by.
Nah, many of the Pokémon software/games outside of Nintendo hardware don't have Nintendo on it.
Pokémon Shuffle on mobile doesn't mention Nintendo, but it does on 3DS.

Unicorn

Do pokemon heal only through potions? It's been about 10 hours and my pokemon are still missing a chunk of health. Don't want to waste a potion to top them off hp wise.

ReaperXL7

You know, I haven't been that way yet since I went down Palmetto to Mizner last night, but since FAU is right near it I'm sure there is some stuff that way.

But cool to know another GAFer is repping here in South FL. :)

Yeah, just a bit south in margate/coconut creek but I end up in Boca a lot. I figured that since that wholefoods is in a pretty busy plaza it'd be a good spot for some Pokestops, the Boca mall would probably be decent also.

Busaiku

Do pokemon heal only through potions? It's been about 10 hours and my pokemon are still missing a chunk of health. Don't want to waste a potion to top them off hp wise.
I think at this point, it's only Revive (if Fainted) and Potion.
There needs to be a Pokémon Center update.

Briarios

I haven't had much crazy luck -- just regular catches, but when I was walking to the store today, I ran into a Rhyhorn, which I caught. Immediately when I went back to the map screen, there was a Rhydon in the exact same position. That was fun, getting the evolution at the exact same moment lol

Wollan

I am done attempting to overtake gyms until an official patch is out.
I would have reclaimed the local one many attempts ago if not due to the 1HP bug by now.

Whales

Banned
do you need internet to play this outside?

I kinda wanna start walking around as there is like 2 pokestops and a gym nearby but I don't have data on my phone

Acinixys

Man this idea of this game and the attach rate are absolutely amazing.

However, the game itself is not very good and has lots of problems. Wish there was more "game" there.

I read a new article that said that Google is going to pup another 10 mil into the game if the Dev reaches milestones

Pretty sure they are on track

So I expect a massive influx of features in the next few months

Its extremely difficult to hack server based games. I doubt it.

Dont be so sure

People on 4chan are bragging about using GPS hacks to move insane distances. Like 100km a day to just collect everything and hit every pokestop in a massive area

RaidenZR

I finally reached Level 5 last night but I have no idea on how to join a team or form a party. Is that something that happens when you're near enough to a gym or something?

First there was nothing but Team Red in my area than I brought in my Glorious Team Yellow into the fray and now some Team Blue Fuckers started invading. Just took out their 567 Venomoth but since I started over I could only leave a 288 Radicate to defend.

Also, if there's only one powerful pokemon defending a gym you can take it down with a weaker team of six. I took out that 500 plus Venomoth with a sub 300 team. That gyms had alot of weaker Pokémon but after I beat it the first time I only had to best the Venomoth the second time.

fr0st

Banned
Is that thing true that if you don't pick a starter Pokemon after the 3 they give you, you have a chance to get pikachu?

jax

Banned
There was a secluded gym up the street that no one had claimed (rest of the city's gyms are taken).. got it last night with my 306 pinsir and woke up this morning to a 600 Arbok and 1040 Arcanine camping on it. Literally in the middle of the night they must have taken it. Why do people drive around at 4am just to get Pokémon gyms :(

MechDX

Wanting to what the fuss is so i installed it and caught some dragon with a fire tail.

Neat.

Now it wants me to walk like a half mile away to some center in 90 degree heat/100% humidity......

Uninstall.

sophora

Did a local Pokestop run with a friend last night. He dropped a lure and we chilled there while it was active. We saw several cars drive up and grab the items but a few stayed and enjoyed the lure along with it. It was pretty interesting and neat to me. Ended up geting a few eggs and catching some eevee, ratata, and weedles. Caught a wild Pigeot when I got home and a couple more eevee, ended up evolving one and got a Flareon out of it. Pretty pleased :3

Absolutely. If anything, it's even better because there hasn't been a massive influx of players yet so gyms are often up for grabs still.

Not here in Toronto Canada. The shopping malls are battlefields. Dunno how many times I've seen one gym switch hands and each time it switches it's multiple pokemons being placed, all over 600 CP

I hate when an uncommon or rare pokemon appears in the nearby window at the dead of night.

Like, I wanna get that Magmar really bad but I don't want to get shot in the process.

Ambient80

Ah! Just turned the game back on and a Squirtle was waiting for me in my kitchen! 😍😍 2/3 with starters now. Need a Charmander.....

Chaos17

I'm sorry I laughed XD

sh5meOt.png

https://twitter.com/mtm_holmes/status/752162921245925377

Shaky

Woke up this morning, opened up Go and immediately a Poliwag popped up. I'd been seeing the silhouette for days but never could actually find it. Also caught a Pinsir last night while at home!

Frillen

So, I tried taking on a gym of the same team as I. The gym had 4 Pokemon, and I used a Golduck. I got defeated by the last Pokemon. So what is the point of taking on gyms the same team as you? Do you have to beat all Pokemon with just one!? What happens then? You can store one there?

Chaos17

So, I tried taking on a gym of the same team as I. The gym had 4 Pokemon, and I used a Golduck. I got defeated by the last Pokemon. So what is the point of taking on gyms the same team as you? Do you have to beat all Pokemon with just one!? What happens then? You can store one there?

It help the gym to get more experience, here a resume of gym features.

Multiple points!

1. Training at gym in the first place (whether or not it has a slot for one of your Pokemon yet) gives you XP and raises the Prestige of the gym
2. If the Gym goes up in Prestige level that unlocks another slot for you to put in a Pokemon
3. A challenger must defeat all Pokemon inhabiting an enemy gym, so leaving your Poke there is helping to fortify it
4. Having a Pokemon defending a Gym grants you a daily bonus of the cash shop coins (Shield icon on the shop page). You don't have to be the gym leader, the bonus is the same.

Man my town is so weird.

I live in an old mill town of about 35K people so there aren't any actual residents in the main downtown area and the huge residential area of the town is about two miles up hill from the downtown mill district.

Downtown is loaded with tons of Pokestops about 15 along the stretch of main street where local shops and the public library is.

Then there is a cluster of six on the opposite side of town about a mile from the opposite edge of the residential area in a graveyard but not a single one where people actually live.

Even weirder we have a huge shopping section of town out by the Highway with Walmart, Target, Home Depot then bunch of clothing and dining chains and not a single Pokestop or gym out there.

What were the Ingress players thinking? 0_o

Am I the only person that finds catching pokemon like pidgey harder then it should be? I over throw like 5 pokeballs trying to catch it every time

Top Bottom