• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT| As in "Go Outside"

Man my town is so weird.

I live in an old mill town of about 35K people so there aren't any actual residents in the main downtown area and the huge residential area of the town is about two miles up hill from the downtown mill district.

Downtown is loaded with tons of Pokestops about 15 along the stretch of main street where local shops and the public library is.

Then there is a cluster of six on the opposite side of town about a mile from the opposite edge of the residential area in a graveyard but not a single one where people actually live.

Even weirder we have a huge shopping section of town out by the Highway with Walmart, Target, Home Depot then bunch of clothing and dining chains and not a single Pokestop or gym out there.

What were the Ingress players thinking? 0_o

Ingress location submission had certain requirements.

Portal Criteria Includes:

A LOCATION WITH A COOL STORY, A PLACE IN HISTORY OR EDUCATIONAL VALUE
Interesting story behind the location/object
Historical significance (apart from just being old)
A COOL PIECE OF ART OR UNIQUE ARCHITECTURE
Statues, paintings, mosaics, light installations, etc.
Venues that showcase fine art (e.g., performance art theaters and museums)
Buildings designed by renowned architects/structures famous specifically for their architecture
A HIDDEN GEM OR HYPER-LOCAL SPOT
A popular local spot that you would take a friend visiting your community for the first time
A popular spot where locals gather, but may be lesser-known outside the community
Tourist spots that showcase local flavor and culture and that make your city/neighborhood unique
More off-the-beaten-path tourist attractions (i.e., if you weren’t a local, you wouldn’t necessarily know to go here)
Adventurous tourist attractions – think lookout towers, observatories, signs or markers atop mountain peaks, etc.
In addition to the above acceptance criteria there is also a desire to have candidates that offer an acknowledgement or networking opportunity.
These include:

PUBLIC LIBRARIES
A nod to education and discovery, cornerstones of Niantic & Ingress
Includes little free libraries, provided they are not on private residential property; does not include mobile libraries
PUBLIC PLACES OF WORSHIP
A nod to the otherworldly, which is integral to the story of Ingress
The Portal submission should NOT be or include any of the following:

Candidates in locations with NO SAFE PEDESTRIAN ACCESS.
Candidates of PEOPLE, BODY PARTS, LIVE ANIMALS, etc.; please, just don’t.
Candidates that are NATURAL FEATURES (Includes pictures of landscapes as well as submissions where the subject is a lake, river, stream, mountain, volcano, waterfall, etc.; does not include man-made points of interest – plaques, signs, etc. – near natural features).
Candidates that are NOT PERMANENT, including SEASONAL DISPLAYS that are only put up during certain times of the year.
Candidates submitted with a PHOTO THAT YOU DID NOT TAKE YOURSELF (i.e., pulled from a third-party source); these will be rejected even if the candidate itself meets acceptance criteria or is on the list of things we generally accept.
Candidates on PRIVATE RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY (including farms)
Candidates that may interfere with the operations of FIRE STATIONS, POLICE STATIONS AND HOSPITALS
Candidates on the grounds of PRIMARY/SECONDARY SCHOOLS

Got bored of waiting for this in the UK so finally jumped aboard yesterday.
A day and a half later I'm Level 9, have walked 23km and caught 33 Pokemon :lol
I would've beat 3 gyms too if not for the 1HP thing (Team Mystic repping!)
After being initially put off by this games truly terrible presentation I'm loving it now.
Met 2 other players at a PokeStop. I shouted "gotta catch them all" and they laughed and we talked a little. Fun stuff.

Vire

Man my town is so weird.

I live in an old mill town of about 35K people so there aren't any actual residents in the main downtown area and the huge residential area of the town is about two miles up hill from the downtown mill district.

Downtown is loaded with tons of Pokestops about 15 along the stretch of main street where local shops and the public library is.

Then there is a cluster of six on the opposite side of town about a mile from the opposite edge of the residential area in a graveyard but not a single one where people actually live.

Even weirder we have a huge shopping section of town out by the Highway with Walmart, Target, Home Depot then bunch of clothing and dining chains and not a single Pokestop or gym out there.

What were the Ingress players thinking? 0_o

Because Walmart and chain restaurants aren't interesting or unique. There's an art museum with a bunch of outside sculptures in my area and all are pokestops.

Chaos17

Mmmh maybe since cops must seen a lot of Pokemon players late out at night but I don't understand the part about 2 specific players since there're probably more.

Well, so far police image has become postive on Reddit with encounter like this.

On8cW27.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4s5hqx/the_cops_were_playing_pokemon_go_with_us_last/

While walking I caught a rat pokemon but I swear there were at least a few people walking around with their phones in hand, something you don't see too often and it made me think they were playing also, but quite possibly that's just me thinking that.

3phemeral

Because Walmart and chain restaurants aren't interesting or unique. There's an art museum with a bunch of outside sculptures in my area and all are pokestops.
Exactly. There's a Celebration Cinema here that's a PokéStop but no store in the whole plaza there has anything else.

Meanwhile, there are 5 PokéStops all within a hundred feet of each other the block over because there's a lot of interesting metal sculpture art embedded into that residential community.

oti

Banned
The egg mechanic is genius. I'll definitely pay for egg machines to keep the ball rolling. That and Pokéballs.

KingBroly

Banned
I feel like this game punishes you if you don't live in certain areas. It feels like everything was designed around this idea that everyone lives in places like NYC or LA. In my area, Poke Spots are somewhat sparse, but bunched together in odd places, begging you to trespass to get to them. Pokemon rarely spawn, and where grassy areas are, they're always either just outside of my circle OR when they are in my circle, don't spawn anything.

Also, the damn thing doesn't work if I put my phone into Sleep Mode, so I have to have it out and view it constantly.

I might be wrong but I think CP just flat doubles when a Pokemon evolves.
In my experience it's all over the place.

As an aside, I've yet to power up a single Pokemon. I've just been focused strictly on evolving, and every time I decide to power up, in the back of my head I feel like I'll just run into higher CP Pokemon in the wild. And I usually do. Anyone else feel the same way?

vypek

I feel like this game punishes you if you don't live in certain areas. It feels like everything was designed around this idea that everyone lives in places like NYC or LA. In my area, Poke Spots are somewhat sparse, but bunched together in odd places, begging you to trespass to get to them. Pokemon rarely spawn, and where grassy areas are, they're always either just outside of my circle OR when they are in my circle, don't spawn anything.

Also, the damn thing doesn't work if I put my phone into Sleep Mode, so I have to have it out and view it constantly.

Yep. Needs some improvement. When I'm near home, it is pretty useless for me. Most I can do is work on eggs by going for long walks. Catching pokemon is a lot easier when I'm near work.

Shaky

Am I the only person that finds catching pokemon like pidgey harder then it should be? I over throw like 5 pokeballs trying to catch it every time

I usually catch them with 1-3 throws but last night I ran into this Pidgey that for some reason I just could not catch. I ended up using like 15 pokeballs lol. That one is by far the most I've ever used. On a damn Pidgey.

Raknar

Neo Member
I feel like I lucked out here, a gym and 2 Pokestops all within reach whilst sitting inside my flat! Haha.

A few people just showed up outside the gym and took it for Valor, and then walked off with their faces glued to their phones lol. It's great to see adults playing this with their kids.

dan2026

This game feels super buggy.

I've had it crash three times when catching a pokmeon.
And half the time it wont log in when loading.

-KRS-

This and http://segmentnext.com/2016/07/09/theres-malware-infested-pokemon-go-apk-android-beware/

So wait for official store release. I am patiently waiting.
Me and my SO agreed we will be hoing out even more when it's out.

If you're in japan then yeah you'll have to wait, but regarding the article just check the sha256sum of the apk you're downloading. It says what the legit one is supposed to have in the article. I've personally verified the one on apkmirror to have the same sha256sum as the legit one.

Biske

Exactly. There's a Celebration Cinema here that's a PokéStop but no store in the whole plaza there has anything else.

Meanwhile, there are 5 PokéStops all within a hundred feet of each other the block over because there's a lot of interesting metal sculpture art embedded into that residential community.

Aka fuck you if you just live in a normal place with houses.

3phemeral

This game feels super buggy.

I've had it crash three times when catching a pokmeon.
And half the time it wont log in when loading.
It does have bugs but the major connection one they fixed since yesterday. The other is the dreaded 1 HP gym-battle bug. Otherwise, it's been pretty stable. I had a friend who downloaded the apk for his phone that's listed as incompatible and he's been having all sorts of trouble.

if I keep my phone on and the app running all the time, but not moving, any pokemon will show up? like I can just put it on my bed while I do other stuff and come back every so often and catch new pokemon ?

Is anyone else going to Symphonic Evolutions at the Mann Center near Philly tonight? As it's a Pokemon concert and all, I'm fully expecting this to be all the rage over there. Can't wait.

Biske

Not so lucky. This is my neighborhood:

Lol

Yeah its a wildly different game depending on where you live or if you stop walking and drive around. Should be called either Pokemon No, Pokemon Drive, or Pokemon Stay, if you happen to get lucky being in a place that has tons near by.

Even where I work, in a complex of like 5 buildings. nothing. But the complex across the street has two right next to each other. Like really? So those people easily take the near by gym, its almost impossible to do anything for everyone else in the area.

I could see a Stop pretty close on the map but had 4% battery left... so I ran too it... then ran home before my phone died :lol.

Oh smh at the fact the incubators you can pay real money for have a limited number of uses, was about to grab a few until I saw that

Top Bottom