• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT| As in "Go Outside"

Acerac

Banned
Seems I suck at throwing pokeballs so I ran out. Given how meager the returns are from pokestops I might be done with this game for now.

I guess I could spend money on the game, but eh.

I had the day off so I took the car and my iPhone charger and drove around catching Pokemon and refilling up pokeballs at stops until 4am. Ended up with 120 something Pokemon

Disclaimer: I took routes via suburbs so I could stop and park whenever the phone beeped

#noregrets

Edit: yes I live in a city

Ha, guess I could do this.

So is there a difference if you use your google account rather than the Pokémon site account? I can't get on that Poke site for 2 days in a row. Doesn't work. Is there a difference on what you use?

Barely. I'm using Google and haven't been able to get on for about 6 hours.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Making sure, I have a raticate in a ball and the game "froze".

If I leave or reset, does that mean I got the mon?

Depends on how much info got to the server and if that pokeball worked.

One thing is for certain; there is no unfreezing it, so you don't really have an option.

So has anyone confirmed how Pokemon are determined? Like, a lot of what people are finding makes sense based on their surroundings, but, for instance:
-Does the game know to spawn Ghastly in graveyards?
-Chansey around hospitals?
-Taurus at farms?
-Zubat around caves?
-
Clefairy at Area 51
The game looks fun (I only managed to snag a starter before the servers crashed) but it's gonna be something wholly insane if I can actually have the thought process of 'oh, that looks like somewhere an X would live!' and it turns out they're totally there.

There's a lot of cool stuff they could do with newer guys too.
-Smeargle around art schools and museums
-Coffagrigus around ruins
-Hoothoot only showing up at night
-Trubbish around dumps
-Rufflet around U.S. Monuments and international McDonalds
-Driftloon around fairegrounds

Inmolatus

So is actually catching common pokemon better since you can level them faster to fight gyms? I was thinking this after only finding zubats for a while and still having my charmander at the initial level with no way to level him up since I wont find more charmanders.

xzeldax3

So has anyone confirmed how Pokemon are determined? Like, a lot of what people are finding makes sense based on their surroundings, but, for instance:
-Taurus at farms?
-Zubat around caves?
-
Clefairy at Area 51
The game looks fun (I only managed to snag a starter before the servers crashed) but it's gonna be something wholly insane if I can actually have the thought process of 'oh, that looks like somewhere an X would live!' and it turns out they're totally there.

-Trubbish around dumps
I've found ghost Pokemon at cemeteries, a Meowth at a bank, a pikachu near a power plant, and a koffing at a landfill.

105.Will

-Taurus at farms?
-Zubat around caves?
-
Clefairy at Area 51

-Trubbish around dumps

Found mostly water types near the harbor, most of which i hadn't seen inland.

-Taurus at farms?
-Zubat around caves?
-
Clefairy at Area 51

-Trubbish around dumps

Not further than 2 miles away from my house (probably less), I've seen Sandshrew, Caterpie, Vulpix, Butterfree, Growlithe, Zubat, both Nidorans, Nidorino, Eevee, Pidgey, Spearrow, Dodou, Diglett, Mankey, Ekans, Abra, Paras, Geodude, Pidgeotto, Rhyhorn, Meowth, Rattatta, Exeggcute, Weedle, Charmeleon, Bulbasaur, Ponyta and Venonaut.

These were all in a suburban area in SoCal.

I love this guy.

Cmwd0tdUEAAbMOb.jpg

Why?

He's XL height and Weight.

He's A Bara Kadabra.

I can see this game being a little fun once I'm able to maintain a connection longer than 2 minutes.
Yeah man the best is when you have 20 mins of solid connection and walk to a gym. Catch a few pokes, arrive at the gym, and then server crashes. This happened to me at a kind of sketchy intersection (random box on the corner is the gym) at 2am last night, so me standing there for 15 frustrating minutes made it a lot sketchier.

Same thing earlier today at lunch time, but it was at a much sketchier bus stop with a no trespassing sign. I trespassed in that bitch for 20 minutes before I accepted defeat. Worst part was that I was able to fight the gym twice but server crashed when opponent hit 1 health each time.

But I'll be damned if I'm not completely hooked on this game, can't wait for stable servers. Gonna ravage a Pinsir that took a nearby gym with my Pidgeot 😏

Darryl

Banned
-Taurus at farms?
-Zubat around caves?
-
Clefairy at Area 51

-Trubbish around dumps

I don't think they went that crazy with the game unfortunately

Do Pokemon move?

Or are they always in a predetermined location?

Can see this being a good incentive for a walk.

Edit: And do I need to leave the app open when I'm walking around?

Aerobatics

Neo Member
Not further than 2 miles away from my house (probably less), I've seen Sandshrew, Caterpie, Vulpix, Butterfree, Growlithe, Zubat, both Nidorans, Nidorino, Eevee, Pidgey, Spearrow, Dodou, Diglett, Mankey, Ekans, Abra, Paras, Geodude, Pidgeotto, Rhyhorn, Meowth, Rattatta, Exeggcute, Weedle, Charmeleon, Bulbasaur, Ponyta and Venonaut.

These were all in a suburban area in SoCal.

This is a massive bummer to me.

Edwardo

Caught a few around work, and then a few when I got home.

I went for a walk after and forgot that Sprint's service is awful, so I couldn't find anything or get any pokestops to load. :(

The opposite would also suck for those of us living in leas built up areas :p

I've heard of some people only finding Zubats and/or Rattatas around their area. Other people, about like 4-5 different types. It seems like my area is more generous than most from the reading around I've been doing.

PMS341

Ughhh just closed the ball down on a 150+ CP Nidoran only to have the game freeze. Then, I was able to "throw" another Poke Ball, but with the weird zoomed/stretched image (and tiny Poke Ball) instead.

Ughhh just closed the ball down on a 150+ CP Nidoran only to have the game freeze. Then, I was able to "throw" another Poke Ball, but with the weird zoomed/stretched image (and tiny Poke Ball) instead.

That happened to me when I was trying to catch a Pidgeotto. Apparently when I logged back in I had caught it though.

Top Bottom