• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT| As in "Go Outside"

Yes, that is correct. Any time you spend fighting gyms is wasted essentially in terms of rewards if you've already collected on what you have for the day. You'll still get plenty of XP from these battles but by the time it's time to collect again, those gyms will almost assuredly be conquered by a rival faction.

That's... so dumb.

Each gym should give you separate rewards that yield their own seperate timers, not just one, all encompassing 20-hour timer. So essentially the only way to maximize your reward quotient, is to capture as many gyms in one go before collecting your rewards and pray that no one steamrolls your Pokemon before then?

Jeez, they're really making it hard to incentivize visiting, let alone conquering gyms.

Wazzy

Banned
Found a Cloyster today but it's still looking like my best catches are Wartortle 500+CP, Primeape 600+ and Slowbro 890CP.

Spenny

Good luck getting service up there. Had no service the three days I was in Yosemite this summer. Which was grand.
Bummer. Haven't been in nearly ten years when I had an LG Chocolate and no reception. I thought things would have improved.

I probably wouldn't even waste time with my phone if I went there anyway.

Servers are running like shit atm

- caught a pokemon and the game froze
- all pokestops are not giving me any pokeballs
- clicked on a pokwmon and camera froze with pokeball stuck in the bottum right screen

Looks like either the new update or server downtime this morning is causing issues

Volimar

There's a neat initiative going around. Apparently some pokemon go players are taking trash bags and picking up garbage while they're out hunting for pokemon. I'd like to see that behavior encouraged.

There's a neat initiative going around. Apparently some pokemon go players are taking trash bags and picking up garbage while they're out hunting for pokemon. I'd like to see that behavior encouraged.

Holy shit, that's genius. Pokemon Go, helping people cope with depression, getting people out of the house and exercising, helping folks make new friends, boosting small businesses, and cleaning up the environment.

This fucking app.

Really want a Mankey.

They're almost as common as Pidgey's here in SoCal.

Pau

That's a good idea!

NYC could definitely use it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So after hours of experimentation I decided to do a little write up about CP so people can understand it better. It's a bit long, so bear with me.

Above your Pokemon you will find 2 CP Indicators.

1. CP Number = That big number above your Pokemons head.
2. Percent Bar = The white semi circle above your Pokemon that fills up.

The CP Number is your Pokemons current Combat Points, and Percent Bar is the maximum amount of Combat Points your Pokemon can obtain.

Example: If your Pokemon has 50 Combat Points, and the Percent Bar is at 50%, then the maximum number of Combat Points he can obtain is 100. This will fill the Percent Bar to 100%.

Every time your character levels up, the limit of your Percent Bar will increase by about 10%. So Pokemon with a 100% Bar will drop to 90%, but his CP will remain the same. This also effects all Pokemon that you catch! So as you level, you will start catching Pokemon with a much, much higher CP Number.

How does this effects leveling? The amount of Stardust and Candy needed to level a Pokemon is based on the Percent Bar! In other words, a CP 1000 Charizard with a 90% Bar, will cost the EXACT same amount of Stardust and Candy to level as a CP 500 Charmander with a 90% Bar.

How does this effect Evolution? When you Evolve a Pokemon, the Percent Bar remains in the exact same spot as it was prior to Evolution. A 70% Bar Pidgey will evolve into a 70% Bar Pidgeotto, but since the Pidgeotto has a much higher CP Cap, his CP Number will be much larger.

What does this mean? There is absolutely NO REASON to level up a Pokemon prior to Evolution. The amount of Stardust and Candy you spend to level up will be exactly the same Pre and Post Evolution.

Additionally, the amount of Stardust and Candy needed to level a Pokemon can go down as your character level rises. Since every level increases your Percentage Bar by 10%. A Pokemon that cost 1600 Stardust to level at 10 will only cost 1000 Stardust to level a level 15.

If this has already been posted, sorry. Just wanted to clear things up for anyone with Questions about CP.
Great info- I reworded my answer about this in the FAQ to make clear reference to the bar, but I was already coming up against the character limit of the post and couldn't include as much detail as I wanted to. Specifically, the points about net Stardust cost you and others have made are very good and I didn't mention that at all. Would it be okay with you if I linked to this post in the FAQ?

Also,
There is absolutely NO REASON to level up a Pokemon prior to Evolution.
For me, the one reason I can think of is if you want to use that Pokémon to battle in a Gym and it needs to be a bit higher to compete, but don't have the candy to evolve it right at that moment.

Went to the Chelsea Market in NYC to hunt down some 'mons, came across this sign and thought I'd share.

img_20160712_203529223jsj.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Excellent. Packing one in my backpack to take when I go out tonight.

There are just so fucking many of us wandering around, I really want Pokémon trainers as a group to become known as just generally cool people that are good to have in your community.

shaowebb

lol. Aaaaaand theres a Mankey. Get in the ball my friend. Get in the ball. This laundromat my APT is over is a goldmine. None of this stuff is on radar. Its just fucking spawning like mad. Its a pokefountain. And I got a pokestop like a block or less from me. Its right over past my mailbox. Looks like if the balls run out I go out, get the mail, and reload. I'll be moving soon though so I'd better live this up.

Lets see if I can load up on Eevee. Evolve all the types...

BlueSteel

Okay, I saw some tip for T-Mobile users to disable 4g... and thought it was bollocks.

Well, don't know if it was because of that... but it worked while I was in downtown Chicago.

Teknoman

Holy shit, that's genius. Pokemon Go, helping people cope with depression, getting people out of the house and exercising, helping folks make new friends, boosting small businesses, and cleaning up the environment.

This fucking app.

They're almost as common as Pidgey's here in SoCal.

Come to Temecula, California. We have Mankey and Primapes for days (but no reliable ghost or water types)

Eevee, Grass and bug types all over North Houston, with some water here and there plus the odd sandshrew.

Btw anyone seen a Farfetch'd yet?

Should I evolve a Kakuna with CP 10 and power it up with 12 Weedle Candy and Stardust or should I just evolve a CP 58 Weedle to Kakuna with the 12 Weedle Candy and then to Beedrill?

hirokazu

, the amount of Stardust and Candy needed to level a Pokemon can go down as your character level rises. Since every level increases your Percentage Bar by 10%. A Pokemon that cost 1600 Stardust to level at 10 will only cost 1000 Stardust to level a level 15.
Well that's interesting. I never noticed this, always seemed the same to me.

NateDrake

For the Rhode Island/Mass/CT Gaffers:

"LURE ALERT: There are more than 20 Pokestops on Zoo grounds and tomorrow the lures are on us. Time to Pokeparty!"

SjZbRPE.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sure Link away. Anything to help out the community.
Thanks a lot!

Man I just picked my sister up from the airport. There were multiple stops with Lures going. At the airport. And before even getting in the car she pulls out her phone and shows me her collection from Dublin.

She has a drowzee. I don't have a drowzee. :I

ramyeon

I am constantly getting the game hang when I catch something in a Pokeball this morning. One time I got it after hard resetting, other times I haven't.

The server issues with this game are ridiculous.

Pau

How often can you beat the first Pokemon in a gym?

I wanted to know if I can get 500 exp by battling a slighty lower CP pokemon, then run away on the 2nd pokemon.
Haven't thought about running away but you can fight the first Pokemon until you lower the gym's prestige enough to kick it out (different team) or you add in your own (same team).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hunting setup is complete:
Oh awesome. I ordered one to try out too :)

I recommend a simple bike computer as well so you can keep your speed in hatching range! I've been able to do 10mph confirmed and make progress, and am thinking the actual limit is 12.4. But need to test further.

Ashodin

Oh awesome. I ordered one to try out too :)

I recommend a simple bike computer as well so you can keep your speed in hatching range! I've been able to do 10mph confirmed and make progress, and am thinking the actual limit is 12.4. But need to test further.

Limit is 12.4? Eeeeenteresting

Spenny

Eevee, Grass and bug types all over North Houston, with some water here and there plus the odd sandshrew.

Btw anyone seen a Farfetch'd yet?
Where I'm at:

Common: Eevee, Rattata, Zubat, Geodude, Abra, Charmander, Bulbasaur, Pidgey, Growlithe, Sandshrew, Mankey, Clefairy, Ekans

Uncommon: Pikachu, Dratini, Jigglypuff, Arbok, Graveler, Arcanine, Magmar

Rare: Water, Ghost, Grass, and Electric

So after hours of experimentation I decided to do a little write up about CP so people can understand it better. It's a bit long, so bear with me.

Above your Pokemon you will find 2 CP Indicators.

1. CP Number = That big number above your Pokemons head.
2. Percent Bar = The white semi circle above your Pokemon that fills up.

The CP Number is your Pokemons current Combat Points, and Percent Bar is the maximum amount of Combat Points your Pokemon can obtain.

Example: If your Pokemon has 50 Combat Points, and the Percent Bar is at 50%, then the maximum number of Combat Points he can obtain is 100. This will fill the Percent Bar to 100%.

Every time your character levels up, the limit of your Percent Bar will increase by about 10%. So Pokemon with a 100% Bar will drop to 90%, but his CP will remain the same. This also effects all Pokemon that you catch! So as you level, you will start catching Pokemon with a much, much higher CP Number.

How does this effects leveling? The amount of Stardust and Candy needed to level a Pokemon is based on the Percent Bar! In other words, a CP 1000 Charizard with a 90% Bar, will cost the EXACT same amount of Stardust and Candy to level as a CP 500 Charmander with a 90% Bar.

How does this effect Evolution? When you Evolve a Pokemon, the Percent Bar remains in the exact same spot as it was prior to Evolution. A 70% Bar Pidgey will evolve into a 70% Bar Pidgeotto, but since the Pidgeotto has a much higher CP Cap, his CP Number will be much larger.

What does this mean? There is absolutely NO REASON to level up a Pokemon prior to Evolution. The amount of Stardust and Candy you spend to level up will be exactly the same Pre and Post Evolution.

Additionally, the amount of Stardust and Candy needed to level a Pokemon can go down as your character level rises. Since every level increases your Percentage Bar by 10%. A Pokemon that cost 1600 Stardust to level at 10 will only cost 1000 Stardust to level a level 15.

If this has already been posted, sorry. Just wanted to clear things up for anyone with Questions about CP.
Thank Christ someone explained this. I've gotten to level 15 without really understanding fuck all about this system. Luckily I've been hoarding candies and stardust awaiting to use them.

Top Bottom