• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT| As in "Go Outside"

T.O.P

Banned
13606767_854165131354283_6731940003362259367_n.jpg

Robin64

See, I get the whole idea of catching water Pokemon near water, but how do fire and electricity Pokemon work?

I don't like choosing Charmander as my starter and ending up with 5 Bulbasaurs and still that same starter Charmander.

I'm going to try the nearby forest at the weekend and see if Pikachu shows up there, Viridian Forest stylee.

Robin64

Is there an advantage to using one login method over the other?

Trainer Club login has been down more than it has been up. However, it's possible that Trainer Club users will get codes for things later on, like how they give out codes for digital TCG cards in newsletters.

Grazzt

Maxed out? At what point does a Pokemon max out?

Max CP depends on your trainer level and the pokemon. Even if you maxed out one, after you level up you can power up your pokemon further.

Went to city center this evening because
zLPmd47.png

And I could count nearly 50 people were around there playing this. Got a ton of Pidgeies and Zubats...
Edit: Still need 311 candy to evolve my Magikarp...

Robin64

So now I'm on a Google account I can see that all the gyms that were empty 24 hours ago have been claimed and strong Pokemon are in them. The game isn't even officially out here, but there we are. What a joke. This is why they need to a) release it everywhere and b) fix your fucking PTC server.

MicH

Rode my bike to the nearest grocery store where there's also a PokeStop so I hit that up. Just more Pokeballs, unfortunately. On the 2 km bike trip I only found three Pokemon; a Spearow, a Pidgey and a Msgikarp near a small lake (really cool). Yesterday I found a Goldeen and a Squirtle near that same lake

I had made a ton of progress using my PTC login. However I hadn't been able to get back into the game since around lunchtime yesterday. Said, "Fuck it" and restarted with the Google login. Sad that I lost a ton of progress (nothing amazing or anything), but happy to be back playing.

So since this game closes when my phone hits the lock screen, do I just have to walk around with my screen on in order to hatch eggs? If so that's super annoying.
I've changed my screen time-out to 30 mins.

I would also turn on battery saver in the app itself, but last time I used it, more often than not the game would lock up and not acknowledge any touch until closed and started up again.

PSFan

So now I'm on a Google account I can see that all the gyms that were empty 24 hours ago have been claimed and strong Pokemon are in them. The game isn't even officially out here, but there we are. What a joke. This is why they need to a) release it everywhere and b) fix your fucking PTC server.

That may be why the servers are so messed up. People are playing that are in regions that aren't supposed to be playing.

The servers were probably only prepared for traffic from the regions it was legitimately released in but got more than they expected because of you and your countrymen don't have any patience.

So you only have yourselves to blame.

Zelias

Banned
Caught a Fearow that has a lower CP than the Spearow I have. I take it it's still going to be more efficient to power up the Fearow than evolve the Spearow? It's like 50 Spearow candy to evolve, lol.

Kinsei

Banned
That may be why the servers are so messed up. People are playing that are in regions that aren't supposed to be playing.

The servers were probably only prepared for traffic from the regions it was legitimately released in but got more than they expected because of you and your countrymen don't have any patience.

So you only have yourselves to blame.

TPC/Nioantic share the blame. If the servers weren't ready then they shouldn't have released the game at all.

Any news on a US release date?

Yesterday.

I used my PTC account because I thought maybe there would be events or coins I could get later on down the line. All my friends used Google accounts and they out there being the very best. Least I can do is drive them around haha
I wonder what the split looks like between Google and PTC accounts. Pretty much all my friends used Google since they couldn't remember their PTC logins.
Still salty I still can't log in, though. Just means I'll have to work harder to catch up!

Par Score

So is it confirmed that the little grass puffs you see on the map mean nothing right now? I'd assumed it meant there'd be a Pokemon nearby, but after going out of my way to walk around a few of them nothing happened, while I just get random Pokemon showing up whenever and wherever without any rustling.

Also, is the "nearby" indicator totally useless? It never has anything to do with the sort of things I catch (except Pidgeys, Weedles, Rattatas, etc. which are everywhere anyway).

This app, and the server infrastructure behind it, seems way too busted for a live release. Really disappointing that they'd rush out something this buggy.

Kinsei

Banned
So is it confirmed that the little grass puffs you see on the map mean nothing right now? I'd assumed it meant there'd be a Pokemon nearby, but after going out of my way to walk around a few of them nothing happened, while I just get random Pokemon showing up whenever and wherever without any rustling.

Also, is the "nearby" indicator totally useless? It never has anything to do with the sort of things I catch (except Pidgeys, Weedles, Rattatas, etc. which are everywhere anyway).

This app, and the server infrastructure behind it, seems way too busted for a live release. Really disappointing that they'd rush out something this buggy.

I've used the nearby indicator to track down a bunch of Pokemon.

wonderpug

Neo Member
Do you have to type in your email and password every single time when you use Google login, or is that just part of the server issues? I have an authenticator on my Google account as well, so it's a bit annoying having to flip over to my authenticator app every time I want to play.

gaiages

Banned
Whoever keeps using the lure module on the other side of the office park, dammit come to my building :p at least I get to take advantage of it during breaks haha

At least there's both a Pokestop and Gym at my building, so every work day I take over the Gym :)

HvySky

Finally got the app installed and decided to take a trip down the bike path behind my apartment complex. Walked for two straight hours and arrived back home with zero new Pokemon. Didn't even vibrate once. :(

Red

How have you been functioning in society until now, when you get offended by shit like that?
Many people believe it is inappropriate to turn graveyards into play areas. What a weird thing to think is unusual. I have no strong feelings one way or the other, but if there is a chance I will upset someone who values the sanctity of their dead brother or son or something, I'm not going to risk it. Few things are more precious to people than respect for the dead. I've caught Pokémon inside a nearby cemetery, but without going into the cemetery. Even if Niantic doesn't change the mapping of Go, it's best to be mindful of what these places mean to people.

Asgaro

Many people believe it is inappropriate to turn graveyards into play areas. What a weird thing to think is unusual. I have no strong feelings one way or the other, but if there is a chance I will upset someone who values the sanctity of their dead brother or son or something, I'm not going to risk it. Few things are more precious to people than respect for the dead. I've caught Pokémon inside a nearby cemetery, but without going into the cemetery. Even if Niantic doesn't change the mapping of Go, it's best to be mindful of what these places mean to people.

Oh, my bad. Misinterpreted the situation.
I thought he was referring to the fact they specifically chose Ghost pokémon to appear there.

Still new to everything geocaching etc. I can see the specific location getting tagged being an issue indeed.

Kinsei

Banned
Finally got the app installed and decided to take a trip down the bike path behind my apartment complex. Walked for two straight hours and arrived back home with zero new Pokemon. Didn't even vibrate once. :(

The phone can't be locked. You need it open and the app running to catch Pokemon.

Arrrammis

Wow, I went to bed at midnight with 6 of the 7 gyms in my town controlled by team Mystic, woke up this morning at 6 and I only have control of one of them. I guess yellow team is nocturnal in my city!

Svafnir

How dumb is it that people who live in big cities get like infinite free poke balls, but people in small towns almost have to pay money or go 15 minutes out of there for one stop.

stryke

Game seems surprisingly generous with the reset time on pokestops. my local park has two and by the time i do a lap they're ready to spin again.

Top Bottom